webMethods Integration Server Overview

webMethods Integration Server is the #3 ranked solution of our top ESB tools. It is rated 4.1 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to Mule ESB: webMethods Integration Server vs Mule ESB

What is webMethods Integration Server?

The award-winning webMethods Integration Server, our Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), is a complete enterprise application integration solution. It's standards-based so it "speaks" any technology. You can integrate any technology from any vendor: ERP systems, databases, mainframes and legacy apps. SaaS platforms, Web services, JMS messaging systems and packaged apps.

webMethods Integration Server Buyer's Guide

Download the webMethods Integration Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2020

webMethods Integration Server Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux, GTA, CosmosDirekt

webMethods Integration Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about webMethods Integration Server pricing:
  • "Some of the licensing is "component-ized," which is confusing to new users/customers."
  • "It is expensive, but we reached a good agreement with the company. It is still a little bit expensive, but we got a better deal than the previous one."
  • "This is an expensive product and we may replace it with something more reasonably priced."
  • "The vendor is flexible with respect to pricing."
  • "The pricing and licensing costs for webMethods are very high, which is the only reason that we might switch to another product."

webMethods Integration Server Reviews

A. Smart
Enterprise Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 9, 2020
Enables a host of payment options for our customers and has automated a lot of our manual processes

What is our primary use case?

It interfaces between applications, as well as between the cloud and our existing on-prem applications. We primarily utilize packaged applications; we don't really have a lot of custom applications. We do have a few custom interfaces, and some vendors may have created a custom interface on their own, but we present a standard integration, a standard enterprise service bus, to connect to.

• "The solution has a very comprehensive and versatile set of connectors. I've been able to utilize it for multiple, different mechanisms. We do a lot of SaaS and we do have IoT devices and the solution is comprehensive in those areas."
  • "The logging capability has room for improvement. That way, we could keep a history of all the transactions. It would be helpful to be able to get to that without having to build a standalone solution to do so."

What other advice do I have?

Start with proofs of concept. Create a few good proofs of concept and get it up and running and you'll be able to escalate things. Make them achievable. The biggest lesson I have learned from using the solution is that I should have envisioned it a little bit bigger. We had a lot of point-to-point solutions that we could have considered and I think we still have a lot more to go. Also, if the back-end is not available, we should build in some logic that says, "Okay, now that I'm not getting a valid response or any response, I should be able to quickly use a default or turn off some features."…
Ivan Herlambang
Integration Engineer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Dec 20, 2018
Integration Server and Universal messaging create an efficient development phase, enhance agility

What is our primary use case?

I've been developing with SAG webMethods in Telco industries for integrating provisioning (CRM) end-to-end Billing, BSS and OSS, Banks/Insurance/Finance integrating bancassurance, provisioning, Switching&Allocation and Government Instance (Oil and gas) integrating B2B oil company to government reporting.

• "It's obvious that the heart of the product lies here. It's comprised of all aspects of ESB (Enterprise Gateway, Adapter, TN, Java) and BPM (task, rules engine)."
  • "t doesn't represent OOP very well, just a method and proprietary interface called IData."

What other advice do I have?

I have to say that all SoftwareAG products are tightly proprietary, which means you can't just download and install for study purposes or to play around with them. You have to call their partner/product representative just to download the trial, which is quite different from their competitors. That makes the product unfamiliar to mid-low enterprises. Also, their products are "componentized" in terms of licensing and tightly coupled, which means that some components may be licensed while some are a prerequisite to other components. So it could be that you have to buy two to get one and a half…
Learn what your peers think about webMethods Integration Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2020.
447,846 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hassan Hussien
Consultant at AXA
May 26, 2019
Handles relevant data caching and integrations

• "We can arrange data caching and look at the solid state. Also, the API gateway is a very good component that can handle relevant cachings and integrations, as well as and also load permitting."
  • "We need more dashboards and reporting engines that can provide detailed information for management. In short, we need better analytics."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to put more focus on implementation rather than on the platform itself. This is more important than the platform because finding someone that knows how to fit the components is more important than having very good components that no one knows how to use. I would rate this as eight out of ten, because of the scope we have already implemented. We didn't face many complex issues or troubles.
Ameer Alhadidi
Senior Integration Developer at ROP
Jul 31, 2020
User-friendly and it makes developing services quick and easy

What is our primary use case?

We are looking to use webMethods as part of our business process management solution. We have a mainframe and it facilitates connectivity with our database.

• "The tool is very powerful and user-friendly."
  • "I would like to have a dashboard where I can see all of the communication between components and the configuration."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is that it is a very powerful tool that will empower the development of services. If there is a proper plan then it can be achieved within a short period of time. After a service has been developed and tested, it is moved to the staging environment. Once it is tested, we move it to production. Moving it will not take more than a few minutes. It is definitely a product I recommend to people who have the money to pay for it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1008537
Regional Integrated Platforms Tech Lead at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 14, 2020
Stable, straightforward to set up, and flexible in terms of pricing

What is our primary use case?

This product is used for application integration. I have implemented this solution for many clients across the world.

• "The most valuable feature is stability."
  • "Technical support is an area where they can improve."

What other advice do I have?

I have found that the home-grown products from this vendor always do pretty well, but when they acquire new products from third-parties, there has been some disappointment. Overall, this is a pretty good product. In fact, my only real complaint is about support. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1375203
Middleware Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 3, 2020
Good out-of-box features and the EDI is eye-catching, but it is expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use webMethods for integrating our applications.

• "All of the components are very independent but are tied together to give the business value."
  • "The price should be reduced to make it more affordable."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it's a great product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Promanit677
IT Project Manager at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 12, 2019
Enables communications between diverse systems

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for communication between different systems and automation of business processes.

• "A product with good API and EDI components."
  • "The interface needs some work. It is not very user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product as an 8 or a 9 out of ten.
Siva Subrahmanyam Chavali
Lead Developer - webMethods, Oracle SOA Suite at American Electric Power
Feb 11, 2019
Easier admin and simple to learn for Java users

What is our primary use case?

Traditional ESB solutions using multiple adapters API development and management.

How has it helped my organization?

The time to market is relatively less. It's simple to learn for Java users. Its administration is easier. Extensive toolset: out-of-the-box libraries support. DevOps could be better.

What is most valuable?

API development Traditional ESB development B2B development.

What needs improvement?

DevOps support Java services debugging.

More than five years.
Product Categories
ESB
Download our free webMethods Integration Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.