webMethods Integration Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

webMethods Integration Server is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: webMethods Integration Server vs Mule ESB

What is webMethods Integration Server?

The award-winning webMethods Integration Server, our Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), is a complete enterprise application integration solution. It's standards-based so it "speaks" any technology. You can integrate any technology from any vendor: ERP systems, databases, mainframes and legacy apps. SaaS platforms, Web services, JMS messaging systems and packaged apps.

webMethods Integration Server Buyer's Guide

Download the webMethods Integration Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

webMethods Integration Server Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux, GTA, CosmosDirekt

webMethods Integration Server Video

Archived webMethods Integration Server Reviews (more than two years old)

GM
IT Project Manager at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
Enables communications between diverse systems

• "A product with good API and EDI components."
  • "The interface needs some work. It is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for communication between different systems and automation of business processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to integrate some systems which needed a form of translation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable components of the solution are API management and EDI.

What needs improvement?

The Flow language mapping tool could be a little easier to use. The interface needs improvement.

We have been working with webMethods Integration Server for one year now.

The technical support served its purpose. We do not need to use it much.

We used a different solution and we switched because it was a product that was being phased out.

We considered other solutions along with webMethods Integration Server, including BizTalk and Tibco. There were other solutions but they were outside our planned budget.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product as an 8 or a 9 out of ten.

Hassan Hussien
Senior Architect Manager at AXA COOPERATIVE INSURANCE
Reseller
Handles relevant data caching and integrations

• "We can arrange data caching and look at the solid state. Also, the API gateway is a very good component that can handle relevant cachings and integrations, as well as and also load permitting."
  • "We need more dashboards and reporting engines that can provide detailed information for management. In short, we need better analytics."

What is most valuable?

There are actually a lot of valuable features. Terracotta is a very good component that enables us to arrange data caching and look at the solid state. Also, the API gateway is a very good component that can handle relevant caching and integrations and also load permitting. There is a message term for this. There are many components that we are currently using and all of them are very important. Also, we will use the DPM for workflow management and digital user transformation in the future.

What needs improvement?

I think they need to improve the API gateway to be able to replace F5 for example. Also, handling the certificates and their implications with other applications needs some improvement.

We need more dashboards and reporting engines that can provide detailed information for management. In short, we need better analytics.

We've been using this solution for one year.

It is stable, but it depends on the development team, not the platform itself. The platform itself is stable and has been used before by a lot of big companies and entities, but the old integration services are not related or tightly coupled with the platform itself. If you don't have good developers that can implement a good architecture or a good design, you will have issues.

It is easy to scale. We can really scale it up. We have had no issues with this.

Right now, we have an establishment of one organizer per platform but our plan is to use it as the only, single point of integration. The entire enterprise, all applications through all departments, and all IT will use the platform.

We are planning to increase the usage of the platform continuously over the next five years.

Currently, we have an incident open with them, but I think we need to give them more clarifications about it. There may be an issue with the product itself or perhaps it is from the implementation side. We couldn't reach a conclusion yet. We are supported 24 hours a day, it's full support.

Overall we are satisfied with the support because the main advantage is actually that you find someone to help you in time. Anything after is solvable; you will reach a solution. The ability to find someone dedicated is the main advantage.

I have an establishment of the IT department and the solution team but we were migrating from an old architecture and old application integration. It wasn't a platform, but rather a mix of solutions including webMethods but an older version. Now we have migrated from this older version to our new version. But we are migrating among a different integration solution.

Some parts were straightforward, but installing the platform was a little complex, especially since we use Linux instead of Windows. Opening ports, network restrictions, managing the network, and managing the users and components were all a little bit complex.

We did it on our own here, in our company. We have installed it over about four environments: development, SIT, production, and pre-production. All of this has taken about one month to finish.

It is expensive, but we reached a good agreement with the company. It is still a little bit expensive, but we got a better deal than the previous one.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to put more focus on implementation rather than on the platform itself. This is more important than the platform because finding someone that knows how to fit the components is more important than having very good components that no one knows how to use.

I would rate this as eight out of ten, because of the scope we have already implemented. We didn't face many complex issues or troubles.

Learn what your peers think about webMethods Integration Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Siva Subrahmanyam Chavali
Lead Developer - webMethods, Oracle SOA Suite at American Electric Power
Easier admin and simple to learn for Java users

What is our primary use case?

Traditional ESB solutions using multiple adapters API development and management.

How has it helped my organization?

The time to market is relatively less. It's simple to learn for Java users. Its administration is easier. Extensive toolset: out-of-the-box libraries support. DevOps could be better.

What is most valuable?

API development Traditional ESB development B2B development.

What needs improvement?

DevOps support Java services debugging.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

• Traditional ESB solutions using multiple adapters
  • API development and management.

How has it helped my organization?

• The time to market is relatively less.
  • It's simple to learn for Java users.
  • Its administration is easier.
  • Extensive toolset: out-of-the-box libraries support.
  • DevOps could be better.

What is most valuable?

• API development
  • Traditional ESB development
  • B2B development.

Integration Engineer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Integration Server and Universal messaging create an efficient development phase, enhance agility

• "It's obvious that the heart of the product lies here. It's comprised of all aspects of ESB (Enterprise Gateway, Adapter, TN, Java) and BPM (task, rules engine)."
  • "t doesn't represent OOP very well, just a method and proprietary interface called IData."

What is our primary use case?

I've been developing with SAG webMethods in Telco industries for integrating provisioning (CRM) end-to-end Billing, BSS and OSS, Banks/Insurance/Finance integrating bancassurance, provisioning, Switching&Allocation and Government Instance (Oil and gas) integrating B2B oil company to government reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Time effective by cutting down development time and resource efficient to developer burden, enhance agility and integration between end-to-end applications, platform

What is most valuable?

The Integration Server

Universal Messaging

Universal Messaging is a Message Orientated Middleware product that covers JMS, MQTT, AMQP.

Universal Messaging design supports both broker-based and umTransport communication, and thus comprises client and server components. The server component has specific design features to support each of these classifications of client, as well as Scheduling and Triggers, Plugins, Federation, Clustering, and Low Latency IO.

What needs improvement?

The Java Service section, which is probably needs more different manners for a new developer. It doesn't represent OOP very well, just a method and proprietary interface for input parameter called IData, which consists of Maps (key, value). You can still be creating classes under the shared section of the methods. But also the documentation of webMethods Java API it doesn't cover much clarity for the usage

More than five years.

Regarding the Stateful session inbound to ESB (Integration Server). It seems that the Stateful session sometimes doesn't die out when the transaction is finished, but waits until the timeout expires (although quite often it doesn't even died even after timeout expires, which eventually would flooding the server).

You have to buy another license for clustering named Terracotta which also had several different license, basically it was acting as a multicast and a cache, so if one of your node is processing something it would write into Terracotta, and then the other node would recognize some process going on so it wouldn't try to do the same processes which would be make double transaction for instance. It also can be use for data cache so you could have better performance fetching frequently data called rather than query it somewhere else e.g Database or REST Resources

Around 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. They don't help much enough actually, if there's any bug we have to wait for another patching rather than get emergency help

No, they won the PoC in the beginning. And mentioned as Leader in Gartner

Quite complex in setting up the BPM environment, the UDDI service (Centrasite), and also the API Management. But nonetheless there's documentation for each product

I've been in vendor/consultant so I have enough experience to do it my own in-house.

I never done the accounting, I'm an engineer ?

I suppose webMethods aim for large-scale enterprises which is why the price is high, but with high output and better outcomes.

Some of the licensing is "component-ized," which is confusing to new users/customers.

Yet you can also choose between perpetual or periodically terms, in case you do not want to be bothered to buy another version once the newer version released you should consider periodic license.

Yes, TIBCO (was good enough IMHO) and Oracle Fusion Middleware (it's quite complicated IMHO).

What other advice do I have?

I have to say that all SoftwareAG products are tightly proprietary, which means you can't just download and install for study purposes or to play around with them. You have to call their partner/product representative just to download the trial, which is quite different from their competitors. That makes the product unfamiliar to mid-low enterprises.

Also, their products are "componentized" in terms of licensing and tightly coupled, which means that some components may be licensed while some are a prerequisite to other components. So it could be that you have to buy two to get one and a half (pretty amazing isn't). But overall it is a great product.

Another thing is that made me bit upset was that the certification/training in South East Asia (which is my region) is not "individual friendly," meaning that if you want to get developer certified, you have to join to one of their partner companies or bulk order.

RA
Sr. Software Developer | Systems Integration Specialist | Project Manager | EDI Technical Lead at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a reusable code that we can replicate for any new interfaces

• "We have a reusable code that we can replicate for any new interfaces."
  • "We got the product via a reseller, and the support from the reseller has been less than desirable."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for managing secure file transfers for the company.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a reusable code that we can replicate for any new interfaces.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The newest version, which we are not on, has all the features that we are looking for, meaning managed files transfer adapter.

It is stable. They are rather aggressive in their patches and upgrades.

It seems to be doing very well.

We did not use another solution previously.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We enlisted help from the reseller with the initial setup.

I have only heard of Software AG, Talend, and MuleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the stability of the company, and also take a close look at the pricing. Lower pricing doesn't necessarily mean it's a better product.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Price
  • Features
  • Support.
it_user872700
Lead Solutions Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flow language is a better and more flexible debugging tool

What is our primary use case?

Used for intra-company application-to-application integration and for intercompany B2B integration (order to cash, procure payment, HR, and banking functions).

How has it helped my organization?

WM is an enterprise bus which is used for all integrations, bringing all message transfers into one application, and making monitoring and integration of applications easy.

What is most valuable?

The main assets are its  flow language debugging Broker.  Flow language is far better and more flexible for debugging.

What needs improvement?

Broker Trading partners Portal

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The main assets are its

• flow language
  • debugging
  • Broker.

Flow language is far better and more flexible for debugging.

What needs improvement?

• Broker
  • Trading partners
  • Portal

Mayank Tripathi
Senior Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MFT component handles files efficiently and can be automated using scheduling

• "The MFT component of webMethods, for example, is easy to set up and convenient to use. It handles files very efficiently and it is easy to automate tasks with complex schedules. Monitoring is centralized to MWS which can be used to monitor other products as well (Trading Networks, BPM, MFT, etc.)"
  • "Documentation needs tuning. There is a lot of dependency with SoftwareAG. Even with the documentation at hand, you can struggle to implement scenarios without SAG’s help. By contrast, IBM’s documentation is self-explanatory, in my opinion."

What is our primary use case?

webMethods, in my current client's environment, is used to provide solutions based on SOA (web services) and BPM (Business Process Management).

How has it helped my organization?

The MFT component of webMethods, for example, is easy to set up and convenient to use. It handles files very efficiently and it is easy to automate tasks with complex schedules. Monitoring is centralized to MWS which can be used to monitor other products as well (Trading Networks, BPM, MFT, etc.)

What is most valuable?

• SOA
  • BPM
  • Trading Networks (B2B)
  • Active transfer (MFT)

What needs improvement?

Documentation needs tuning. There is a lot of dependency with SoftwareAG. Even with the documentation at hand, you can struggle to implement scenarios without SAG’s help. By contrast, IBM’s documentation is self-explanatory, in my opinion.

it_user836433
Senior Application Specialist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy development of integration and transformation applications

What is our primary use case?

This is a middleware tool from Software AG, so when there is a need for EAI/ESB, or B2B; the use cases and implementations are plenty and can vary according to business and enterprise architecture. For example, an internal application like SAP sends data which is received and transformed by webMethods to EDI, XML, or another user-requested format, and sent to an external business partner (via jms/FTP/WS call).

How has it helped my organization?

One to many, or many to one transformation and delivery is the simplest example.

What is most valuable?

Integration Transformation Easy development Connectivity and adapters The variety of tools that are part of the webMethods product suite

One to three years. …

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Integration
  • Transformation
  • Easy development
  • Connectivity and adapters
  • The variety of tools that are part of the webMethods product suite

Licensing is an issue since all products do not have central licensing. UM has a different license, IS has a different license, etc. This differs from client to client.

it_user831780
System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Eases building of interfaces for developers and integrating with numerous applications

• "Application integration, business process integration, and B2B partner integration are valuable. But among these, I feel B2B partner integration is the most valuable. This module integrates two business partners and exchanges data through electronic data interchange messages in the form of specific standards, without any manual process needed."
  • "I feel comfortable using this product with its ease of building interfaces for developers. This is a better integration tool for integrating with various applications like Oracle, Salesforce, mainframes, etc. It works fine in the integration of legacy software as well."
  • "When migration happens from the one release to an upgraded release from Software AG, many of the existing services are deprecated and developers have to put in effort testing and redeveloping some of the services. It would be better that upgrade releases took care to support the lower-level versions of webMethods."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the webMethods platform is to communicate with multiple applications and integrate them. webMethods provides business process integration, B2B partner integration, and also uses Web services to connect software applications. My client acquired another company and we are integrating the partners of the acquired company with their clients, using various data communication standards like EDI, EDIFACT, and Rosettanet messages.

In my previous project we used it to bridge communications between a front-end application and the back-end, connecting them with Web services through SOAP requests and SOAP responses, using JMS queues and broker.

How has it helped my organization?

When my organization wanted to migrate the front-end applications from a Genesys framework to .NET for various security reasons, webMethods was used for ESB integration. At the time of migration, there was no work being done on the ESB side, which reduced developers' efforts and all the services were re-used as we used Web services to connect the front-end with mainframes.

When my business client  acquired another business and we were integrating the services, as B2B uses standard communication messages, i.e. EDI, the work made the developers' task simpler, in handling all the interfaces.

What is most valuable?

All of the following three features provided by webMethods are valuable:

1. Application integration
  2. Business process integration
  3. B2B partner integration

What needs improvement?

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would rate this product an eight. I feel comfortable using this product with its ease of building interfaces for developers. This is a better integration tool for integrating with various applications like Oracle, Salesforce, mainframes, etc. It works fine in the integration of legacy software as well.

I have been using this solution for two years and four months and I haven't had any difficulty using it for building the interfaces and connecting various business processes, once I had acquired basic knowledge of the solution.

it_user832680
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its core Web-based integrations are the most efficient and robust, but stability needs work

• "Given that you have one integration API in place, it takes very minimal effort to scale it to any other application that might want to use the same. Its flow-based development environment is a breeze and makes it really easy to re-use most of the existing components and build up a new API."
  • "It’s fairly easy to view, move, and mange access across different components. Different component types are categorized and can be viewed in a web based administration console."
  • "I would say the core Web-based integrations work the best. They are the most efficient and robust implementations one can do with webMethods."
  • "The stability of the various modules of the product suite have been a bit of a concern lately. Though their support team is always easy to reach out to, I would prefer it not come to that."

What is our primary use case?

webMethods is primarily used to integrate applications. While one can always do the same by building APIs (Java, .NET, etc.), webMethods provides a robust, scalable, and easy to manage platform to do so.

The need is primarily felt when integrating multiple application for a large enterprise. To list a few, one can use webMethods to integrate web-based, file-based, database-based applications. Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. It has multiple modules for specific integration types, like a Trading Networks module for business to business integrations, business process models for graphical representations for executing business processes. One can also build small Web-based application using CAF and DSP.

How has it helped my organization?

The second most important aspect is managing the components. It’s fairly easy to view, move, and mange access across different components. Different component types are categorized and can be viewed in a web based administration console.

What is most valuable?

I would say the core Web-based integrations work the best with webMethods. They are the most efficient and robust implementations one can do with webMethods. There have always been some ups and downs in its specialized modules, but I have found its core integration platform the most reliable.

it_user831792
IT Delivery Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The Insight feature is valuable as a monitoring and debugging tool

• "Best feature is Insight for monitoring, and as a debugging tool. It has saved us a lot of time during crisis situations."
  • "The product needs to be improved in a few ways. First, they need to stabilize the components of the whole platform across versions. Also, they should stop replacing old components with brand new ones and, rather, improve by evolution."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to provide ESB for legacy and SOA services, Business Process Management with BPMS and API Gateway for external partners.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved from EAI to SOA architecture while moving to webMethods. Both of these decisions made the reusable services approach available across the organization.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Average. No super-fast responses, no problems ultimately in resolving, and also no long, unresolved issues.

Complex, regarding previous architecture and full SOA stack deployment.

Microsoft BizTalk, JBoss SOA.

Srinu Simhadri
Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Most of the work in our organization can be more easily done using the tool

What is our primary use case?

We develop EAI applications using webMethods using broker, TN, and IS.  We use a Publish/Subscribe mechanism in every interface which we develop, because we have found this approach to be the best for every scenario.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps a lot. Most of the work can be more easily done by using webMethods compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

Broker and UM are the best.

What needs improvement?

Large file handling is pretty hard comparatively to other middleware tools.

Three to five years.

In our organization, we use many middleware tools. Out of all them, I found webMethods is the most efficient.

What is our primary use case?

We develop EAI applications using webMethods using broker, TN, and IS.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Broker and UM are the best.

What needs improvement?

Large file handling is pretty hard comparatively to other middleware tools.

Three to five years.

it_user803262
Senior Consultant
Enables communication between internal systems and third-party operators but stability needs improvement

• "webMethods platform is used to build an EAI platform, enabling communication between many internal systems and third-party operators."
  • "Business monitoring (BAM) needs improvement because the analytics and prediction module very often has performance problems."
  • "This product has too many gaps. You find them after update installations. This should be covered by automatic testing."

How has it helped my organization?

Typically, webMethods Server and Mediator is used as an ESB. webMethods platform is used to build an EAI platform, enabling communication between many internal systems and third-party operators.

What is most valuable?

In my opinion, the best advantages are:

• platform scaling
  • graphical data mapper (Designer and webMethods Developer in oldest versions)
  • integration BPM process layer with services
  • service management via packages.

What needs improvement?

Additionally, this product has too many gaps. You find them after update installations. This should be covered by automatic testing.

More than five years.

Very often there have been stability issues, but typically the source of problems was in the IS configuration or deployed services. Many of problems exist only in AX system (IBM JRE).

No scalability issues. Typically, you can not scale the solution if it is not well designed (architecture, service layers, data processing).

I had some problems with the webMethods support team. They provide fixes very often but sometimes they do not work properly.

Yes, even currently I am using other suppliers' products. The main reason for this situation is that the solution was chosen by the company, and changing technologies is very expensive.

Pricing has to be negotiated with the local Software AG representative. SAG can always prepare an appropriate pricing model for every client.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a very good and mature solution, but you have to be aware of the pricing. You can use an open-source solution and spend the money saved on licensing for a custom implementation.

it_user742995
Analyste Developpeur/Backup Chef de projet TIBCO at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Facilitates communication among many applications and is easy to use

What is most valuable?

All of them are helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

It facilitates

• communication between a lot of applications
  • maintainability and security and
  • facilitates the integration of new applications.

What needs improvement?

Software AG should investigate the reporting of products like Spotfire from TIBCO.

Two years.

No problem with stability in versions 6 and 7.

No problem with scalability in versions 6 and 7.

I have not encountered a situation that requires technical support.

Yes, I've used TIBCO products like BW, BPM, and Spotfire. I switched because the fist project was finished and the company just had products of the TIBCO type.

I only use the product in the company where I work. The company bought the product so I don't have any idea.

What other advice do I have?

Product is easy to use and work on, very interesting and very helpful.

it_user740454
WebMethods / Java Developer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
It provides one common platform to work with multiple systems

• "How simple it is to create new solutions."
  • "In terms of scale, I would give it a four out of 10."

What is most valuable?

How simple it is to create new solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It is an integration platform, so it has improved my organization by giving it one common platform to work with multiple systems.

12 years.

Yes, somewhat.

In terms of scale, I would give it a four out of 10.

Yes. I was sent to a different company, and due to this, I switched solutions that I was working in. The company hasn't switch integration platforms since I have been working in this position (almost 10 years).

I was in the company when they only started with webMethods. It used to be a very simple solution used for a few integrations. Now, it is much more complex. We've got many more frameworks, multiple countries, much more services, etc.

I'm not involved in this.

The company evaluated that. I wasn't included in this. Also, we did another evaluation a few years back when the company was wondering if we shouldn't switch to a different solution. We stayed with webMethods.

Technica3449
Technical Architect
Integration Server and Trading Networks Server create a very good platform

• "They are the building blocks of EAI in SAG products, and they offer a very good platform."
  • "This product is for larger companies. Compared to TIBCO I think webMethods is better in terms of ease of use and support."

What is most valuable?

The Integration Server and Trading Networks Server. They are the building blocks of EAI in SAG products, and they offer a very good platform.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us streamline data from hundreds of non-SAP systems into the SAP system.

Ten-plus years.

Yes, there is still plenty of room for improvement in MWS, SAG Designer.

Not much.

On a scale of one to 10, around seven.

No we didn't use any other suite of EAI products.

I don't have insight on the pricing.

I have no information on that.

What other advice do I have?

Upgrade to recent versions has improved things considerably compared to older versions.

Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "It frankly fills the gap between IT and business by having approval and policy enforcement on each state and cycle of the asset from the moment it gets created until it is retired."
  • "Rapid application development has to be considered, especially for UI, where user interference is crucial."

What is most valuable?

CentraSite for governance and life cycle management. It frankly fills the gap between IT and business by having approval and policy enforcement on each state and cycle of the asset from the moment it gets created until it is retired.

How has it helped my organization?

It becomes the only integration platform through which any external/internal data exchange does any web services. Below are more details:

• There are many projects in the organization which need data from external entities and all integration endpoints implemented using webMethods integration platform.
  • Departments in the organization currently understand what to exchange and in what type by having an enterprise data model in webMethods integration platform.
  • Business users are involved in any integration as approvals have to take place throughout the lifecycle of the service.
  • Reports and dashboards give management a big picture of the integration usage and potential bottlenecks.

What needs improvement?

Eight years using the following different product versions:

• webMethods API Management platform – CentraSite, Mediator, API Portal, API Gateway
  • webMethods Integration Server
  • webMethods Universal Messaging
  • Terracotta In-Memory
  • webMethods Business Process Management
  • webMethods Optimize for Process

Good as long the support request is clear and justified.

Yes, Adobe LiveCycle ES4. Adobe LiveCycle is superior when it comes to UI and process development, whereas, the integration capabilities are less compared to webMethods.

Complex. Lots of configuration parameters have to be set to guarantee a solid platform. Some of these parameters are not mentioned in the product documentation!

Always plan five years ahead and don’t jeopardize the quality of your project by dropping items from the bill of materials.

What other advice do I have?

• Requirements for API life cycle model should be gathered carefully.
  • Consider SOA governance and don’t impose lots of policies that restrict the visibility of assets/services.
  • Always consider an enterprise data model for service integration and business processes.
  • Define potential KPIs for process optimization during the process definition phase, not during the implementation.
  • Consider In-Memory while clustering the servers and developing services.
  • Consider an asynchronous integration pattern to guarantee the delivery.
it_user605286
User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It can integrate and manage file transfers, partner management, and logging mechanisms

• "It is a bundled product stack for A2A and B2B usage. It is one of the best products which I have used during my integration career."
  • "Need to see more API portal features like monetizing APIs and private cloud readiness."

What is most valuable?

It has all the features required to integrate and manage file transfers, Partner Management, logging mechanisms, adapters for mainframes, SAP, and many others.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this product stack for several years now.

There were no deployment issues.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues on-premises, but I have yet to check with the virtualization concepts and cloud scalability coming up.

Customer service is good.

Technical support is good.

We did not try another solution previously.

The setup was well-documented.

We implemented with an internal team and we had vendor support.

It is worth the cost.

We checked with TIBCO for EAI and the MQ series for messaging.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product stack.

Senthil Vasan
Associate Vice President at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has an ubiquitous nature to talk to various technology platforms. An improvement is needed in its documentation.

• "Ease of implementation and flexibility to hold the business logic are the most valuable features."
  • "wM SAP Adapter User Guide - Example, like Message Broker setup was unclear, leading to issues during Testing and we had refer the internet forums to understand that there is a Message Broker Cleanup utility and that needs to be setup as well."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We have used webMethods because of its ubiquitous nature to talk to various technology platforms. Also, the solution had a finite life, webMethods provided a quick integration solution since it is relatively easier to implement, and also, it can hold the business logic in itself.

The client was planning to go in for a separate data exchange platform/Business Information Warehouse as a large-scale global project slated to be alive after five years.

It helped to improve the efficacy of production planning to the market demands and it has improved the quality due to faster information on quality issues.

What needs improvement?

Mostly, an improvement is needed in the product's documentation.

The documentation deficiencies were in the following areas; since it has been a while, I could recall the top instances where the escalation reached to my level.

Release Notes: Used to cover only the latest update for the SAP changes. What has been done to the older version (SAP R/3 4.6, etc.) were not mentioned.

I have used this solution for nearly a year.

In 2008, the technical support's response time was much longer than expected.

There was an implementation issue, i.e., some of the preconditions were not clearly mentioned, so we had to dig through multiple options to troubleshoot and find the right steps.

It was an Enterprise license and I am not sure of the current status.

We evaluated TIBCO.

What other advice do I have?

Put the business first, consider the business architecture and requirements before deciding to go with webMethods. Today, there are multiple open-source, cheaper solutions like Talend available and we can consider those as well.

Product Group Lead Warehousing Solutions at Kühne + Nagel (AG & Co.) KG
webMethods provides the ESB backbone for us since more than 8 years without any hick ups

• "High throughput and excellent scalability."
  • "Forced migration from MessageBroker to Universal Messaging requires large scale reimplementation for JMS."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

High throughput and excellent scalability.

What needs improvement?

Programming model with flow is hopelessly outdated. Forced migration from MessageBroker to Universal Messaging requires large scale reimplementation for JMS

ESB is rock solid. Products on top of Integration Server have much less stability.

No. Absolute top.

Webmethods ESB works, but support is layered an requires escalation every so often

We used IBM MQ Series and migrated due to licensing issues.

Significant topics with bespoke programming model (FLOW language), difficult to find experts and if, they are expensive. Wouldn't do it again.

Mixed team with vendor.

N/A

Initialy good pricing and good, if it comes to Enterprise license agreements.

What other advice do I have?

It's a rather mature solution with lot's of design choices we would not accept in 2017. We are in fact considering to leave to other products.

Manager HRO Application Development at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It allows continuous integration with a deployment engine and dependencies, resolved and centralized in the server as a repository, but it lacks a Data Value Repository tool.

Valuable Features:

Having experience with various EAI and ESB tools like Oracle Service Bus (former BEA Aqualogic) and Webmethods summary would be that everything can be done with any technology.

However the difference may be the time needed in order to implement the same integration features based on the existing product features.

From my point of view a good EAI and ESB solution needs to have what Webmethods offers

• a layer on top to isolate developers from the J2EE implementation ie to avoid implementing integration services in pure Java as if you were just coding the integration in Java
  • Provides needed adapters yes, but with an intuitive front end that allows you to configure and use them (e.g setup number of retries for transient connectivity errors) rather than program in Java to implement calls to use the adapters
  • A platform that allows continuous integration with a deployment engine and dependencies (and their changes) resolved and centralized in the server as a repository.

Some features reviewed

• Unit testing & Debugging capabilities: Webmethods allows you to debug your services in a step by step mode with variable watchers whereas in other programming oriented EAI solutions the testing in not dynamic and we can only rely in SOAPUI executions and reviewing returned XMLs and logs. From my point of view this is a decision driver.
  • Data Mapping capabilities and XML management: In Webmethods you don’t need to work with XML parsing (if you don’t really want to) and data mapping and transformation is natural and based on UI drag&drop capabilities (No need to use XQuery or XPath if not needed). In webmethods you work with the Pipeline concept and needed transformations using a GUI designer. Canonical document transformations can be created fairly simple. Document structure/schemas are centralized in the server repository so there are no discrepancies when a document structure changes. If a document structure changes all services using that document get automatically updated. I still recall how complicated it was to manage XML transformations, parsing and schema dependencies within other EAI packages. Mapping was basically relying again on coding, XSLT transformation and library dependencies.
  • In other solutions, basic tasks (like setting up a DB connection and test that) should not start a huge discussion troubleshoot thread leading the developer to spend most of his time troubleshooting and discussing about technical issues e.g not why he/she cannot connect to the database.
  • Deployment and code changes: Webmethods has a central repository where an app dev resource is locking a given resource. Until that resource is unlocked nobody else can work on that item. Once a component is changed there is no deployment, changes are already in that environment. Once the code has been changed and unit tested migrating this to the next environment is a matter of a couple of clicks (no need to restart the server or wait minutes before you can see the changes). This helps having a system that allows maintaining continuous integration.
  • Audit and logs: This is natural and simple in Webmethods, you can flag any service to be audited in their log database (on success and/or errors, when the service starts, exits, including parameters or not). You don’t need to have any extra coding for that. You can then use those logs to run your reports in SQLServer.
  • Small features that help speeding up development, just as an example: commenting steps in an integration process is fairly simple in Webmethods while in other EAI solutions is a nightmare or impossible.

Improvements to My Organization:

We used webmethods in an EAI project to integrate transactions from a bespoken HR Portal (e.g bank details change, new hire, salary increase, etc...) to update two different customer ERP systems in the back-end (SAP HR and PeopleSoft) thus providing self service capabilities to end users and reducing the need for manual data entry by agents (prone to errors and systems not being synchronized)

Room for Improvement:

At least in SAG Webmethods 8 there was no Data Value Repository tool that would allow to map values/codes from source (in our case HR portal) and transform that into target ERP codes (SAP and PeopleSoft)

We therefore had to create our own solution and make calls at runtime to that repository (we called it Value List Repository or VLR for short) to resolve correct values in target.

Guillermo Lopez Felipe
Responsible BPM Competence Centre with 1,001-5,000 employees
webMethods is the best integration tool in the current market but the Task Engine and Optimize have room for improvement

What is most valuable?

Integration Layer

How has it helped my organization?

Transform emails flow, control flow and measure in a insurance company

What needs improvement?

Task Engine and Optimize (BAM)

5 years (current)

No, stability is pseudo-perfect

Yes, scalability is not the best capability of this product

Customer Service: Basically ok.Technical Support: Great

No, I didn't. All solutions have their problems.

Complex, learning curve is very high.

What is most valuable?

Integration Layer

How has it helped my organization?

Transform emails flow, control flow and measure in a insurance company

What needs improvement?

Task Engine and Optimize (BAM)

5 years (current)

No, stability is pseudo-perfect

Yes, scalability is not the best capability of this product

Customer Service: Basically ok.Technical Support: Great

No, I didn't. All solutions have their problems.

Complex, learning curve is very high.

Vendor team

Yes. Tibco iProcess+BusinessWorks

What other advice do I have?

Take care when working on Tasks and BAM
Download our free webMethods Integration Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.