WhatsUp Gold OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WhatsUp Gold is #31 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools and Infrastructure Monitoring tools. IT Central Station users give WhatsUp Gold an average rating of 8 out of 10. WhatsUp Gold is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM:WhatsUp Gold vs SolarWinds NPM. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is WhatsUp Gold?
Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold's a layer 2/3 discovery results in a detailed interactive map of your entire networked infrastructure. One affordable license lets you monitor any mix of networks, wireless controllers, servers, virtual machines, applications, traffic flows and configurations across Windows, LAMP and Java environments. It Manage networks, traffic, physical servers, VMs and applications with easy-to-use and customizable maps, dashboards and alerts. WhatsUp Gold streamlines workflows by letting you initiate management tasks directly from the interactive map. Additional Features include: Application Monitoring, Network Traffic Analysis, Configuration Management, Discovery & Network Monitoring, Cloud Monitoring, Virtual Environment Monitoring, Distributed Monitoring and Failover Manager.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

WhatsUp Gold Customers

Artoni Trasporti, Austin Independent School District, Banca Marche, Burke County North Carolina, Cambridge University School of Clinical Medicine, Clayco, Community Integrated Care, Desca, Deutsche Bergbau, Flexi-Van, Gropper, Hamleys, Hammonds Furniture, Knowledge IT, Idras S.P.A., Sibeg, Swann Engineering, Trivium Lindenhof

WhatsUp Gold Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WhatsUp Gold pricing:
  • "It is per device, per year. The pricing is very clear. If you have a service agreement, you get all of your major upgrades and minor upgrades. It was under $10,000 to go all-in with all of the different add-ons for it."

WhatsUp Gold Reviews

JP
IT Senior Systems Administrator at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
Old, clunky, and with unresponsive support, this product touches the basics but not in style

• "It handles the basics of monitoring."
  • "It is stable."
  • "The product is old and not updated."
  • "The interface needs some work."
  • "The technical support does not bother to respond."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is just for monitoring the host servers, the virtual machines, the network equipment, and the storage. It covers all the basics.

What is most valuable?

Probably the only sorta valuable part of the product is that it is stable, easy to work with, and covers the basics. But there is a lot more downside to it in my opinion than up.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I do not particularly like WhatsUp Gold. I think we should get rid of it. It is so old. It has not been upgraded in about six years. The interface looks like something from the nineties.

I am quite used to using the Paessler AG product. That is PRTG (Paessler Router Traffic Grapher) and the two have little in comparison. It could be improved by being more like PRTG.

If WhatsUp were going to work on updating the product, I would like to see some improvements in the interface. The dashboards could be a lot better.

The company that I work for has been using WhatsUp Gold quite a lot more for the past few years but they have had it as a solution for the past 10 years. I have only been in the company for about six or seven months.

One thing good about WhatsUp Gold is that it is fairly stable.

We have got about five or six people working with it right now. Their roles are mostly system administrative staff. It is used daily in our current situation.

When I first started, I did contact the technical support team to see whether I could get the new version of the product, but no one ever even bothered to reply. So obviously the technical support could be also improved.

I have used a few of the different monitoring solutions at different companies. PA Server Monitor was one that I used and that was by Power Admin. I used to work with PRTG (by Paessler AG). It is quite a good product. Spiceworks is another one I used.

If we are talking about a comparison between the ones I have already used and WhatsUp Gold, PRTG is a better product. It is the best one I have used out of all of them. I would be interested in moving to that instead of WhatsUp Gold.

I have got a few virtual machines on it that I use myself. It is not a very complicated product. It is a bit clunky and takes more steps than it should do, but it is not difficult to set up and use.

It takes approximately 10 minutes to set up. It does not require a lot of maintenance. It has been on-premises so it is not exposed to the internet and because of that it is not much of a risk. But maintaining it is just a long way down the priority line at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend WhatsUp Gold to people who were considering it as a solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate WhatsUp Gold as a four or five. Really, it is a four-out-of-ten.

JS
Network Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
An easy initial setup with good documentation and a good interface on the older model

• "The documentation is very good."
  • "The licensing model could be improved. Right now, the levels are too far apart. This causes the solution to be more expensive than it needs to be."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to check the state of the network. We have thousands of devices to manage and control. We monitor all of the internal network with the solution. It is the first tool we use to see the state of the network for real-time monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The topology of the solution is the most valuable feature. We can not only have a list of the devices, but we can also build the topology of some nodes. It's an action that is very easy to perform.

The documentation is very good.

The interface of the solution is quite good.

What needs improvement?

For us, the change of interface in the newer versions was too much and a lot of our users didn't like it. It was a deciding factor for us in not upgrading.

We've been using the solution for 20 years.

The stability of the solution is good. If you respect the hardware requirements, it runs pretty well.

The scalability of the solution is good. On our network team, we have about eight people using the solution. We use it quite extensively every day.

We don't use technical support very often, but when we have, we've had good experiences.

We previously used HP OpenView and also work with CiscoWorks. We switched from HP because OpenView was too hard to manage and use.

We have a lot of monitoring experience with other tools (PRTG, Solarwinds, Cisco). It means that we don't perform low level or low-cost monitoring with WUG, but it's a part of a large vision and activity for the network monitoring of state public services (health and care, education, administration, police).

The initial setup is simple. It's very easy to install. Deployment took a few hours. It takes two people to install the solution.

We handled the implementation with the help of a database manager. We needed help with the SQL server, but that's it.

For us, the tool is free to use as it is at the end of life and we don't pay for technical support.

We did look at other HP options. We liked the ease of use and the interface as well as the price of WhatsUp, however.

What other advice do I have?

We use an older version of WhatsUp Gold. The change of the interface of the tool was too hard for some people of our team and they didn't want the new interface.

We have all of the infrastructure on our data centers.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Progress Software, SolarWinds, Paessler AG and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Yevhen Ikonnykov
Senior Software Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feature-rich with a good user interface

• "The user interface is good enough."
  • "We can never achieve or get a good picture of the network topology."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network discovery. It is just one of the features it provides, but it's basically the only feature we use.

What is most valuable?

I haven't explored all of the features.

The user interface is good enough.

What needs improvement?

We use it for network discovery but it's not really good enough. We can never achieve or get a good picture of the network topology.

There are inconsistencies in advertisement and how much it can do in network discovery. It doesn't do what it indicates it will do. I would like a deeper description of the solution and how they achieve it.

What is advertisement phrases is not reality and we cannot achieve it.

We need more customization. It's all about customization.

I would like to see more features that clearly describe how they are going to discover a node on the network.

Also, we would like to know the probabilistic information. For example, to know that the methods, in general, allow discovery of up to some percentage of nodes. We used different settings from what they provide, but we were never close to getting a network topology that we expected to get.

It would be nice to have the ability to identify devices with multiple network interfaces.

I have been using WhatsUp Gold for the last year.

We are using version 19.2.0.

It's a stable solution.

We have not explored the scalability as we don't need it.

We have approximately five users.

We don't have plans to increase usage.

We have a paid version of this solution but have never contacted technical support. We haven't needed to.

I was not involved with the initial setup. It was done by my colleague and he never complained that it was difficult.

I don't have information on the pricing. I know that it's a paid version, but I don't have any details.

What other advice do I have?

The decision on whether we will continue to use this solution or not is up to our manager, but in terms of projects, I don't think that we will continue to use this solution. It will be dropped.

I would rate WhatsUp Gold an eight out of ten.

GD
Security Operations Specialist III at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Good support and stability, easy to deploy, and helpful for looking for rogue devices on your network

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to make sure that devices, services, and network paths are available.

What is most valuable?

Auto scanning is most valuable. It looks for rogue devices on your network.

What needs improvement?

The new release cadence needs to be improved. It takes a while for them to add new features and functionality. There should be a quicker turnaround with new versions.

I've been dealing with it for 22 years.

It is very stable.

It is made for small and medium businesses. It does have a scalability problem with using it in enterprise situations.

Their…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Auto scanning is most valuable. It looks for rogue devices on your network.

What needs improvement?

I've been dealing with it for 22 years.

It is very stable.

Their tech support is very good.

It is very straightforward. You just put in credentials, and it goes out and does its thing. It is very easy to use, especially when you have few employees.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Progress Software, SolarWinds, Paessler AG, and more!