WhatsUp Gold Overview

WhatsUp Gold is the #11 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: WhatsUp Gold vs SolarWinds NPM

What is WhatsUp Gold?
Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold's a layer 2/3 discovery results in a detailed interactive map of your entire networked infrastructure. One affordable license lets you monitor any mix of networks, wireless controllers, servers, virtual machines, applications, traffic flows and configurations across Windows, LAMP and Java environments. It Manage networks, traffic, physical servers, VMs and applications with easy-to-use and customizable maps, dashboards and alerts. WhatsUp Gold streamlines workflows by letting you initiate management tasks directly from the interactive map. Additional Features include: Application Monitoring, Network Traffic Analysis, Configuration Management, Discovery & Network Monitoring, Cloud Monitoring, Virtual Environment Monitoring, Distributed Monitoring and Failover Manager.
WhatsUp Gold Buyer's Guide

Download the WhatsUp Gold Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

WhatsUp Gold Customers

Artoni Trasporti, Austin Independent School District, Banca Marche, Burke County North Carolina, Cambridge University School of Clinical Medicine, Clayco, Community Integrated Care, Desca, Deutsche Bergbau, Flexi-Van, Gropper, Hamleys, Hammonds Furniture, Knowledge IT, Idras S.P.A., Sibeg, Swann Engineering, Trivium Lindenhof

WhatsUp Gold Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SB
Pre-Sales / Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The automatic monitoring and customized mapping help our customers to proactively solve network problems

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor for this solution, and our clients use it to monitor network devices and applications. For example, they monitor switches, routers, and Brouters. We provide demonstrations and POCs for this solution to potential customers.

• "We no longer have to manually search for problems because we are alerted when something in the network goes down."
  • "The pricing for this solution has gone up quite recently, which has led some of our customers to buy an alternative product."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try out and use the evaluation version, which is free for thirty days. In case you encounter an issue then the support is there. If you have made the decision to buy the product then I would suggest purchasing it from a certified WhatsUp Gold partner. We use the solution on a daily basis and I am happy with it, but no product is perfect. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
CM
Assistant Systems Administrator at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Useful for resource monitoring, but it needs a better user-interface

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring our network.

• "The most valuable feature is the monitoring of resources."
  • "I would like to see better integration with switches so that you can see what is connected to each port, what the traffic is, and have a network map automatically generated."

What other advice do I have?

We are running an older version of this solution, so it is tough to say. In general, this solution does its job, but if you are looking for bells and whistles then look elsewhere. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about WhatsUp Gold. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JS
Network Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
Topology discover feature enables us to define the topology of our sites

What is our primary use case?

We use WhatsUp Gold primarily for its monitoring survey. We use this product every time because we have a map in our network operating center, with many hundreds of sites. WhatsUp Gold provides a visual state, as well as program alerts by email.

• "It is easy to access and discover devices, as well as monitor them automatically. The topology discover is also a useful feature."
  • "Pricing is too high relative to how many devices we use. The price list is not linear to number of devices."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate WhatsUp Gold as eight out of ten. The graphical framework is old. The new graphical framework with the last version is very good, but for young people, this framework is not the best in the world.
Alastair Brand
MD at Thembanet
Notifies customers of problems prior to experiencing failure

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for network and application monitoring.

• "The threshold alerting is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would like to see them do an enhancement to the application monitoring. A lot of other products do better application monitoring so they should do some improvements to the application monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product to implement. Check the version that you're implementing supports the devices that you have running in your network. In some cases, some new devices are not supported so check the new device supports before you implement.
Muhammed Shafi
CCIE Certified Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Flow monitor option enables us to trace the source IP, destination IP

What is most valuable?

There is a flow monitor option, so we can trace the source IP, the destination IP, and top talker feature in this.

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor all the links and all the locations and their statuses.

What needs improvement?

Link monitoring and flow monitor.

Over two and a half years.

Sometimes it's a little bit slow.

Yes. It has some licensing features, based on devices for monitoring and flow monitoring.

Four out of 10.

Straightforw…
Kinoti Martin
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Enables us to determine the space required for DB servers and plan for datacenter storage

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, and if one has the expertise to use it, it will be a good investment and it will help IT to save and plan for the future.