WinAutomation by Softomotive OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WinAutomation by Softomotive is #14 ranked solution in best RPA tools. IT Central Station users give WinAutomation by Softomotive an average rating of 8 out of 10. WinAutomation by Softomotive is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Automate:WinAutomation by Softomotive vs Microsoft Power Automate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is WinAutomation by Softomotive?

WinAutomation provided by Softomotive is the world’s best desktop automation tool and provides a powerful, robust and easy to use Windows-based platform for building software robots.

WinAutomation brings the benefits of Robotic Process Automation to your desktop. It offers the most powerful, robust and easy to use Windows-based software that allows you to automate routine and repetitive tasks. WinAutomation helps you reduce costs and improve the overall speed and accuracy of business processes.

WinAutomation can automate ANY windows-based task you can imagine

Augment your own work by automating time consuming, repetitive tasks and free up valuable time for more value-added activities. WinAutomation can automate simple administrative tasks, involving simple data transfer between systems, to complex business processes and workflows. Interact with any Desktop or Web Applications, send e-mails, work with all kinds of documents and folders, search for images on the screen, work with FTPs, databases, MSOffice products and much-much more.

WinAutomation by Softomotive was previously known as Softomotive WinAutomation, WinAutomation.

Download the Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

WinAutomation by Softomotive Customers

xerox, harris&ford, JDM Wealth Management, Fetter Group

WinAutomation by Softomotive Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WinAutomation by Softomotive pricing:
  • "This solution is reasonably priced and offers a free trial period."
  • "This is a cost-effective RPA solution."

WinAutomation by Softomotive Reviews

DL
RPA Developer at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
You can build your RPA solutions with this easy-to-use product but the stability is questionable

• "This product has an easy-to-use interface with nice detail in the features."
  • "The stability of the product is not very good and can even fail with simple projects."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use we have for this product is a solution we created for a client to download daily data from a big company's website. It is a website tool for helping the company monitor the channel for managing their associate or partner responsibilities. They needed to visit the website every day — or as often as possible — so they could get information from the parent company, or collect orders or complaints from there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about the product is that it is simple. When you go into the UI — and probably because Softomotive has about a 20-year long history in the IT industry — there are small details in the features that simplify how you work with it. It has all the big features like competing products but the detail is the kind of thing that makes users feel more comfortable using the product than if the details were not there. So those kinds of ease-of-use details are good things for Softomotive. The design is a GUI interface which is really for non-programmers. There is only the graphic user interface so it is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I think the primary thing that needs improvement in this product is the stability. It looks like it is easy-to-use and that is very nice, but it is more important to have a stable product and not just one that is easy-to-use. If I am working to create a simple process, odd errors occur quite often and in the middle of creating the process.

The additional features I might like to see in the next release would be adding in some capabilities that other products already have. For example, some RPA process management framework. UiPath has something like that, RE Framework (Robotic Enterprise Framework), which is something in Softomotive we have to develop by ourselves. They have some premade processes in WinAutomation, but in running a process they should have some kind of error handling. For example, if there are tasks that should be run like 100 times and maybe it will freeze up at the 50th cycle, then the process should start again from 50, not from number one.

If they can come up with some kind of framework and error handling, that will enhance the stability of the running processes made out of their solution. Right now I cannot resolve these main issues on my own and they should be added to the product.

I started testing it out three months ago and have been using it for about two months.

The stability of the product is not always good even when working on simple projects. This is not a bad product — I still use it — but the stability is something that they need to improve.

Scalability is just buying more licenses. I worked for RPA consulting company and a development company and then I worked as an RPA developer. Then I was dispatched to a company to develop a process for that company. That company at the time purchased ProcessRobot, and then recently WinAutomation — I think five copies. They tested it and they are now trying to expand usage.

I have been in touch with the technical support for WinAutomation by Softomotive a lot, really. The support is good and they provide the information or answers I need.

I have used other products in the past. For example, by comparison, UiPath might be a little bit more stable but it is also a little bit more complicated in the UI/UX (User Interface/User Experience) than Softomotive. UiPath has not got some of the fancy features — just the basic ones. You just collect your UI elements or web elements and use the basic features. But say you maybe run a process 1000 times in both tools. UiPath seems to me in our testing to have fewer errors than Softomotive. But the complexity of the project or the stability would make me choose one product over the other.

The setup in WinAutomation is kind of straightforward. I did not experience any trouble in the installation. ProcessRobot is a bit different and then UiPath is a little bit more complicated in the installation, but I think it is manageable as well.

To actually get the product to work from the point of installation to where I could start running some processes took maybe a month the first time. But this included learning the product. Development with a little experience using the tool usually takes 15 days or about two weeks.

We did the deployment of this by ourselves.

Because I am in this industry, I am gathering information about different tools all the time. I use mainly WinAutomation and ProcessRobot and maybe UiPath for only a month. It is sometimes just to collect information and other times to consider other products.

What other advice do I have?

I think the advice I can give someone considering this solution has to do with making a smart choice. If someone wants to do some RPA project without already knowing a product, then he or she needs to take quite a long time to learn about RPA. You can look at the subject to learn about it and then learn a little bit about programming. There is not just one place to find this kind of tutorial and educational material. A single vendor will only provide what you need to use their product. Each vendor has different educational materials from different perspectives and different methods of teaching.

If they want us to use Softomotive as a solution, they may have to do less work in learning about RPA because it is easy to use. But they should probably also visit the UiPath website or maybe AutomationAnywhere to compare the products and features. In many ways, the products are the same with the ultimate goal being that of creating a working RPA process.

But I think there is a difference in the availability of information and user communities. UiPath has a little bit more structured education system and their community is larger. Because Softomotive is not as widely used it is more difficult to ask other users questions. You may have to direct your questions to the software team. But with UiPath, they can ask questions through a web portal like forum.uipath.com. It is less stressful to ask a question and get an answer from other users.

ProcessRobot users also have a smaller community but they cannot ask questions from support unless they have the license for the product. WinAutomation is different. It is kind of a semi-commercial product but it is not totally free like open-source. There is also a little restriction on which questions you can ask of support before you invest in the product. They are very responsive and also helpful and their company helps people directly. You go through a sort of process. Maybe Softmotive might not always find an answer or give you a particular solution. Then you can also be a little creative and look for how something is solved using other RPA tools like consulting UiPath Academy. This might give you some hints about what you are trying to accomplish.

Sometimes I have found that I kind of I reached a dead end. I had no answer as to where to go. I was just confused and then I could not find any answer from the Softmotive website and there was nowhere to ask the question that I had. Other vendors also have wonderful features and then I tested those to see what they could do. It is kind of a long process to develop a stable process and you have to continue to learn.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a seven. Of course to rate this software higher, they would need to work on the stability issues, enhance the available resources for users, and fill in some of the features that are missing which other products already have.

* Added on 2020-07-17 : Now that Softomotive is acquired and WinAutomation have become a part of PowerAutomate and the price has gone down almost to half of its original price, the future is quite promising for this product.

Neil Watson
Information Technology Consultant at Evolve
MSP
Monitoring solution that alerts when there is a problem and integrates across multiple systems

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to integrate across multiple systems."
  • "One of the challenges is dealing with OCR text recognition."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for IT service checks within our daily process automation.

It monitors consoles and raises alerts when things need to be alerted. For example, when a business rule is broken then an alert is raised, or if we are looking at the backup management and server availability and there is a problem with the backup then we raise an alert.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to integrate across multiple systems. For example between web portals, excel and email.

The ability to write a process that covers all of those different areas of technology.

What needs improvement?

One of the challenges is dealing with OCR text recognition. They link out to Google, IBM, and Microsoft AI services for text recognition. This area needs to continue to improve because recognizing forms and what's on a form, and then when you try to translate that into information that you can use, is very difficult. I have not been able to make that work. I think that the technology is there, but it would require too much coding and it would be too much of an investment of time to make it work.

WinAutomation doesn't have the management abilities for remote management, but we are using Splashtop to access the device that is running the software.

In the next release, I would like to see form recognition added. AI form recognition for processing things like invoices and timesheets would be number one.

I have been working with WinAutomation for two months.

It's a stable solution.

We are not scaling it much beyond a single work station, but it does seem to be scalable.

We have two users in our company. There are plans to increase our usage.

I have only used technical support a few times but they have been good.

Previously, we were not working with other similar products.

The initial setup was straightforward and it only took a few minutes to deploy.

This solution is reasonably priced and offers a free trial period.

We looked at some other tools, but we chose WinAutomation because it was a low cost of entry and a free trial.

What other advice do I have?

It takes slightly longer than you would expect to set something up that's resilient. Building resilience takes as long as building in the logic.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Automation Anywhere, UiPath and others in Robotic Process Automation (RPA). Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Geroge Tzifas
Chief Operating Officer at NGMROBOTICS LTD
An inexpensive and scalable way to create custom automations

• "The solution is very easy to use. It's a code three platform that works very easily with documents to create custom automations."
  • "The solution could use some more advanced AI tools. It's one of the solution's only weaknesses."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for operations related to HR activity.

What is most valuable?

WinAutomation is very easy to use. It's a code three platform that works very easily with documents to create custom automations.

It also allows users to share their automations with colleagues, so users can send and receive automations quite easily.

What needs improvement?

At this time, I can't say the solution is lacking any features.

I've been using the solution for the past three years.

The stability of the solution is very good. We've been very happy with it in general.

It's very easy to scale the solution, and at a very low cost as well. Scaling isn't expensive at all.

Currently, we have nine users on the solution. They are all heads of departments.

We've been in touch with technical support often. I'd rate their support as excellent. We've been very satisfied with them so far.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The products are basically plug-and-play in design. It makes it very easy to implement everything.

In our case, for deployment, it took us a month from trial to scale.

We handled the implementation in-house. Our internal team was able to manage the deployment.

The solution is relatively inexpensive.

We did evaluate other major players like Automation Anywhere, among others.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Softomotive.

We're currently using the 2019 version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution to those who want to start exploring RPA and the benefit of RPA without investing too much money. It's a helpful way to get to know the technology.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

GK
Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cost-effective with good support, but lacks the support to include coding

• "The technical support is good."
  • "There is a limitation in setting up loops, where it does not support multiple conditions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the tools that we implement for our clients.

We have been automating several tasks using this product. They include things like comparing Excel worksheets with the contents of databases, automation in database security, and we have internal logs that can be used to help developers pinpoint errors.

What is most valuable?

This is a cost-effective RPA solution.

What needs improvement?

WinAutomation is missing a lot of options that are available in UiPath. One limitation is that for logs, the only option is a CSV file. There is no option, for example, to work with an Excel file.

We would like to be able to write code, the way you can inside of UiPath.

We have been using WinAutomation for the past two months.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable product, although it is best for mid-sized industries.

The technical support is good. We had an issue and they were able to resolve it.

The installation and initial configuration were straightforward, taking not more than 10 minutes.

I deployed the product myself.

WinAutomation is cheaper than competing tools.

Our choice for using WinAutomation depends largely on the client. We will continue to use it, although if our client does not agree then we would have to use another tool.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I can recommend. The price is cheaper than other tools and it has a lot of features.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

CosminArdeleanu
CEO at Consilio
Simple, easy to implement, and offers fair pricing

• "The pricing of the solution is competitive, which is good for the Romanian market."
  • "The solution could offer more specific training. There should be more examples of what the functions can do and more instructions and explanations to the process."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for back-office activities and processing.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's easy to configure and write code on it.

The solution is simple, it's not complicated.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about one year.

The solution is relatively stable. I'd rate it seven out of ten.

The solution could be scalable, but it depends on the design process. Currently, I'm the only one using the solution in our company. I use it every day.

Technical support has been okay. They are quite prompt, but I was hoping they would provide more in-depth explanations concerning the process.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment only takes a few minutes.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We did a bit of market research before ultimately choosing this solution. Most of the information we found was in the public domain. We found that costs were transparent when looking at this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is web-based. We're partners with WinAutomation.

I'd advise others to be patient and learn how to program it properly. The results will come, but there will be a learning curve.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Biswajit Mohanty
Senior Manager - RPA & Transition at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good learning and simple automation; OCR integrator should be improved

• "I find WinAutomation's linear approach to the code and function calling valuable."
  • "WinAutomation is scalable to a certain extent. I would rate it seven for the scalability, which could be better. Softomotive is better scalable than WinAutomation in this regard."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for WinAutomation is financial. This solution can be used for desktop or front office automation; even the back office operations automations this solution can provide are good.

What is most valuable?

I find WinAutomation's linear approach to the code and function calling valuable. I also appreciate the effort they put toward the experience for the user; learning is good and automation is very simple.

What needs improvement?

WinAutomation's OCR integrator should be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We haven't had are issues with stability.

WinAutomation is scalable to a certain extent. I would rate it seven for the scalability, which could be better. Softomotive is better scalable than WinAutomation in this regard.

I've found that they have a limited support team. Issues take longer to be resolved and there usually have to be a couple of followups with their tech support.

Before switching to WinAutomation, we used other products, including WorkFusion and Jacada. Some were better and some worse than WinAutomation for us. However, WinAutomation's license is cheaper, which is why we ultimately switched. Also, WinAutomation is easier to understand.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

I implemented WinAutomation myself.

As far as pricing goes, WinAutomation's earlier model was good. They were cheap. However, they changed the model. It's per work station now, which is okay.

DR
Technical Team Lead at emids
Supports multiple automations running in parallel and captures video for troubleshooting

• "The most valuable feature is that you can run multiple automations at the same time, in parallel."
  • "The OCR functionality needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Using WinAutomation helps us to reduce our resource costs.

What is most valuable?

It is possible to capture the video, which is better than saving only a snapshot or an error message.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have features that are fine-tuned for Microsoft products because most of our clients are using products like SharePoint and OneDrive.

The OCR functionality needs to be improved. We are not getting the same accuracy as other tools when reading things like PDFs.

I have been working with WinAutomation for six months.

One of the biggest features is scalability, as we can run multiple activities in parallel.

We work with several RPA tools including UiPath, Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, and we are also implementing Microsoft Power Automate.

UiPath has a very good OCR that can read PDF files well. It is more accurate than WinAutomation.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install, and it works in a plug-and-play fashion.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering WinAutomation is that it is a very good tool. They definitely need to use it.

Samba Pandala
Chief Executive Officer at Rabbit and Tortoise Technology Solutions
Easy to set up and works well as a standalone solution, but scalability and support for Angular need to be improved

• "The best feature is that it doesn't require any other connectivity."
  • "It should work better for Angular websites, as it has a lot of problems."

What is most valuable?

The best feature is that it doesn't require any other connectivity. As a standalone solution, it works well.

What needs improvement?

It should work better for Angular websites, as it has a lot of problems. It is not able to read the data from them as expected. In general, it should work better with modern websites.

Scalability needs to be improved so that it can support multiple bots.

There used to be a Process Watch feature, but it is now gone and should be put back.

I have been using WinAutomation by Softomotive for six months.

This is a stable product.

This is not a scalable product. The option is not there for adding multiple bots is not there. Because of this, we are moving to Power Automate. It is not advisable to have one bot that handles 10 missions.

The initial setup is easy.

We are transiting to Microsoft Power Automate because of the scalability.

If WinAutomation had Process Watch capabilities then it would be better than Power Automate, but without it, this solution has become very weak.

What other advice do I have?

Due to the issues with scalability, I do not recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Automation Anywhere, UiPath, and more!