Jeizer Marinho
Team Leader at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy and quick to install, good enterprise support but the Windows support needs improvement

• "As a Microsoft Tester, I like enabling the Microsoft Hyper-V and running the Virtual Machines for testing purposes."
  • "If Microsoft could find a way to better manage updates and patches, that could be more useful for end users, which would be good."

I like Windows products.

What needs improvement?

Some time ago we had Windows Forms, but it did not perform well enough and Microsoft ended up terminating that area of the business.

I believe that it would be beneficial to introduce Windows Forms back into the solution to have a better experience transitioning from a desktop to a mobile version.

Currently, we are experiencing a lot of activities from hackers. People trying to break into the networks to access our data. This is an issue that is causing concern. I don't see a way of making it better or different. This became a large business for hackers.

It would be great to have a more secure interface, especially in a business environment of critical content. For example, our company has a very high level of governance and security procedures.

There are many updates on a monthly basis. I understand that is how Microsoft helps their customers to manage and be secure with regard to Cyberattacks that we may experience. From a user's perspective, it's not a good experience. From an IT perspective, I know how important those things are.

It should be something that runs more in the background where it is not seen and has less of an impact than they usually have.

When we roll out any Microsoft patch across the Network which is done every Thursday, it had not seen a few computers having issues. That's bringing us X amount of work because we need to remediate the user's issue and all those things.

From an IT perspective, I would like something similar to Splunk where it has some type of visibility, or provide the user with power, or something that we could enable. For example, if we were attacked, we could enable something or download something as a part of the Microsoft portfolio to provide us with more visibility about the threat that is floating around.

I have been working with Windows 10 since it's been on the market.

My opinion is that Windows 10 is very stable.

I have not had many opportunities to contact technical support but have a few times.

My last contact with them was regarding server versions, which involved Exchange 2013, and few other things, and also about Windows 10 support.

My experience with enterprise support was good and we didn't have any issues, but specifically with Windows 10, it's wasn't a good experience.

Microsoft should have the same level of service. I was expecting more from Microsoft.

We are also working with all Microsoft operational systems, from Windows 10 to Windows Servers, Active Directory, and Office 365.

I have worked with Windows since Windows 95 and it has changed a lot. It is very quick to deploy.

It is different when you analyze things and think in a more technical way, but even a non-technical person could install Windows from scratch with no issues.

What other advice do I have?

I am currently studying for Microsoft Administrator, but I don't have hands-on experience with Key Vault.

I would recommend Windows 10 to others who are interested in using it.

The Microsoft portfolio is quite large. It is difficult to think of what Microsoft hasn't already developed so far.

I would rate Windows 10 a seven out of ten.

Cliff Matonda
System Administrator at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward to install, easy to integrate and scales well

• "When it's new it's very fast."
  • "After some time it becomes slower. The performance seems to be affected after a while."

What is our primary use case?

It's very useful. It acts like a terminal for all these things that you do in the office. You can access your shared files. You can do Office 365. You can use it as a client for so many applications. It is an operating system that is used for our company to interact with their cloud base from the on-premise system.

What is most valuable?

The installation is straightforward and the deployment is very fast.

The licensing is okay.

When it's new it's very fast.

The solution is very scalable.

The stability is very good.

The product is very user friendly, and it can integrate with so many other applications

What needs improvement?

While they might already have this, I find that Windows has many workspaces and people just end up using one and ignoring the others. A person ends up opening so many windows and then just looking at one screen. It makes them ignore the others. They need to rework it so that this is less likely to happen. It needs to be a bit more user-friendly.

I've used the solution for some time - likely since it was introduced. It's been a while.

The stability is good in that there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash

However, the performance seems to get worse with time. It becomes slower and there is a need to refresh.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 90 users in our organization.

The usage is based on the number of users, and currently, we have no plan to increase our staff. However, f there's a new user, then we just buy a new license.

Microsoft technical support is very complicated. We've never actually gone through Microsoft to solve problems. We almost always use the internet. You go to a site, and you look at someone who had a similar problem. I don't actually contact Microsoft on many issues. Therefore, I can't speak to their knowledgeability or responsiveness.

The installation isn't overly difficult or complex. It's pretty straightforward if you understand the underlying concepts.

They have simplified it. It is very easy compared with when we are doing Windows.

The installation itself is very, very quick. It takes ten minutes or so.

Currently, I handle the deployment and maintenance myself.

I handled the installation myself. I did not require the assistance of any integrators or consultants. I've been doing it a while, and therefore I'm comfortable with the process.

The licensing is okay. We normally buy the Pro version, the Business version. We find all features are already incorporated.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing Windows 10.

We normally just use Windows. We only use other operating systems if we are running a system that requires us to use that operating system.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. We strive to have the latest updates.

I use the solution myself and within our organization.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PP
Management Executive at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Great for personal or professional setups and offers automatic patch updates

• "Technical support is great in South Africa."
  • "Microsoft must realize that it's operating in Africa. We cannot pay US dollars. For the cost of Microsoft Windows 10, it's just not affordable for the majority of the population in South Africa. Who's going to spend that amount of money when people are barely affording to live? It's costly."

What is most valuable?

We like that the patches are automatic. It takes away a lot of the administrative burden, from a security point of view, on the environment. You do not really need to worry about patch management on a Windows 10 machine, as it automatically does it. Those are the benefits that we see from a management point of view.

For personal or professional setups, the solution works well.

The solution is stable.

We find the solution to be quite scalable.

It does what it's meant to do. You don't want the platform to do anything more than what it's doing at the moment. It gives you the analytics. It gives you the right security posture. You can draw on it. It can integrate with other solutions.

What we like about the stack of products is if you manage it on a management console, it cuts across the enterprise. That's a benefit in terms of your rollout strategy. It's quicker to deploy, easier to deploy, and it definitely affects the user to a large degree. It doesn't consume too many resources on your endpoint.

Technical support is great in South Africa.

What needs improvement?

The whole point of Microsoft is it's a phenomenal stack of products. However, Microsoft must realize that it's operating in Africa. We cannot pay US dollars. For the cost of Microsoft Windows 10, it's just not affordable for the majority of the population in South Africa. Who's going to spend that amount of money when people are barely affording to live? It's costly.

I've been using the solution for the last 18 months. It's been over a year so far.

The stability of the solution is very good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so.

W have 50 users on Microsoft right now.

In South Africa, we have great technical support from Microsoft. It comes down to the training and the availability of resources and that is great.

We did not previously use a different solution. We've always used Microsoft.

The deployment is very easy. The initial setup is simple. There are zero hassles.

I didn't do the installation personally, however, I know we just did a deployment for about 50 users, and it took us about a day to deploy it.

You can do it just by yourself. The guidelines and the training and so forth that Microsoft provides for users are great. If you follow that, it's great. From a Microsoft point of view, if you follow the step-by-step guide, it's easy to deploy. You don't need an integrator or consultant.

The solution is overpriced for the region.

We pay a licensing fee on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer or an end-user.

As a cloud-based solution, we're using the latest version of the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with its capabilities in general.

We would recommend the solution to other users.

SV
QA Test Lead at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly with good UI but has some latency

• "There's a lot of documentation."
  • "Built into the solution is Windows Defender, which is in all the recent versions of the Windows operating system, however, we still end up buying an extra antivirus product in the market to ensure we are secure."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for connecting to my remote machine, to the VPN, to my work network. That's the main purpose. I also use it for applications such as Microsoft Word or for accessing YouTube and items of that nature.

What is most valuable?

The UI of the solution has not changed drastically over the years, and therefore, it's easy to get used to the solution if you've used earlier versions of Windows. It's user-friendly in that sense.

Online technical support is helpful. There's a lot of documentation.

What needs improvement?

I notice a lot of latency in Windows 10. Sometimes it slows down things. If I use a virtualized environment and if I run Windows 10, it's definitely slow, even on my personal computer, if it is not SSD. The performance could be much better.

Built into the solution is Windows Defender, which is in all the recent versions of the Windows operating system, however, we still end up buying an extra antivirus product in the market to ensure we are secure. Windows Defender should be enhanced and compete with the market with other antivirus products so that it comes as part of the operating system and actually offers very good protection.

Native apps such as, for example, Windows Notepad, which is a basic feature provided by Windows over the last 24 years, have had no enhancement at all. If you try to play around with some data or put it in a Notepad note, it still is quite difficult to use. You need to pay for Notepad++ or some TextPad, or some other application tool to get some actual usability.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years at this point. It's been a while.

The performance needs improvement. It can be a bit slow. It takes time to render things. In comparison, Mac renders items very quickly.

I've used online tech support in the past. It depends on the case. In a few cases, it is informative and in a few cases, it is not. What I notice is that if I am using Windows, from Windows 95 onwards, if I recollect it correctly. As an end-user, there isn't too much of a drastic change in how it works, and as I've used it for 24 years or so, I have every good understanding of the product.

I started using Windows since Windows 95. Before that, I likely used DOS.

I was not a part of the installation process. I got the hardware with the Windows 10 already installed on it. Therefore, I can't speak to the process or how long it takes to deploy.

My understanding is that the license was paid for upfront with the laptop. I can't speak to the exact cost as I just have it on my laptop, and it came already installed and ready to go.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's an okay product, however, there are areas for improvement, specifically if you look at the performance.

That said, I would recommend the solution to other users.

MR
Product Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to set up and works well with Microsoft Office but has too many updates

• "The solution scales well."
  • "If they could avoid the constant bombarding of the updates, which happens, that would be appreciated."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for work purposes.

What is most valuable?

In terms of my company, it's giving me a Windows laptop, so that is why I'm using it. I can say that Microsoft Office works really well in Windows rather than on any other OS.

Many people are using Windows 10. There wouldn't be much if any compatibility issues when you have to share any information.

You can actually mirror your phones on Windows, without installing meaning third-party applications, which I really liked.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution scales well.

Technical support seem to be helpful.

What needs improvement?

I generally have a better user experience using macOS than Windows.

I could actually see a lot of bugs and glitches. The performance of Windows is not that great.

They could optimize the OS for all devices.

The stability isn't ideal. There are bugs and glitches. I've seen performance issues. This, of course, is in comparison to Mac, which is largely problem-free.

The scalability is pretty good, actually. When it comes to the enterprise solutions that Windows offers, scalability is never an issue.

We have around 250 people on the solution right now.

We do have plans to increase usage. We may end up doubling it.

I haven't used Microsoft support directly, however, in terms of the people who are setting it up in my company, they are good with the support on offer and are satisfied with the service they get. They will get back to you with an answer.

We've always used Windows. We did not use anything else previously.

The initial setup is pretty easy as people know the system and are comfortable with Windows - especially when it comes to server management. And whenever they want to control any other appliances, Windows is the way to go.

That said, I'm not sure how long the deployment process actually took.

In my company, likely three people were involved with the initial setup. They also handle maintenance.

There is an ROI in terms of being able to upgrade. You can upgrade your hardware or the solution every five years or so.

I would not say it's expensive. It has an extensive range of options. If you're just looking at the OS perspective, there is no comparison.

You don't know how much does a macOS costs you, as it comes with the hardware. I would say that, with the performance that Windows delivers, it's not justifiable that Windows is charging the money they do. That said, I would say that it is not expensive.

There might be a Windows setup fee when you buy the license, however, I am not 100% certain this is the case.

What other advice do I have?

Our company uses the product. I am just an end-user.

I'm pretty neutral in terms of recommending it to anyone. There are pros and cons.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
GR
Office 365 support specialist at a renewables & environment company with 51-200 employees
Overall good functionality, stable, but performance could improve

• "I have found all the features to be valuable. I like the compatibility of Windows with other products, I can add applications. The general compatibility of Microsoft is good, I know that I can use all the Microsoft products."
  • "I do not like the interface of Windows 10 very much and the performance could be enhanced. Sometimes everything is a little bit cumbersome. When I used the interface of Windows 7 it was much quicker than Windows 10, as far as finding the information. I preferred Windows 7 for this interoperability. It was easier to interact with the Windows 7, to use the control panel. With Windows 10 there are fewer settings in the control panel as well, but there's the different possibility to reach the same information, and sometimes it creates confusion."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Windows 10 on my personal and work computers. Everything application that I use has to go through Windows 10. I could not do anything without it.

What is most valuable?

I have found all the features to be valuable. I like the compatibility of Windows with other products, I can add applications. The general compatibility of Microsoft is good, I know that I can use all the Microsoft products.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it was easier to reach different programs in the previous version.

In an upcoming release of Windows 10, I would like to see less. There are too many elements or settings. I prefer the operating system to be very minimal because it's only the base to access all the software. It doesn't need to be cumbersome, it should contain what we need and nothing more. For example, the weather, or similar features, only take up memory.

I have been using Windows 10 for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

I have found it is not scalable.

I have contacted Microsoft support but not for Windows 10. I have spoken to them about all the Office 365 products. They're very quick and I really appreciate them, it's very nice to work with the Microsoft technician. I'm not a Microsoft person, I don't work for Microsoft, but nevertheless, it's a very nice team.

The installation of Windows 10 is quite quick. Windows 10 is a large piece of software and needs time to get installed, but it's quite user-friendly. It takes time, it can't take five minutes to install an operating system, it's okay. It's user-friendly, the installation is quite easy, even for normal users. I'm an admin, but for normal users, I think it's easy as well.

I did the installation of my home computer and at work, I did it through an image, or through an SCCM, which other products are offered by Microsoft.

My company is on a corporate license for Windows 10 and my personal computer I bought the operating system already installed, I did not pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

A normal user I would advise them to follow the instruction when you install Windows 10 and use the search function because everything can be found in the search function. There's lots of information you can find in the browser, in a Google search. We talking about a very specific product. Windows 10 is an operating system, it's not real software, it's difficult to evaluate.

I rate Windows 10 seven out of ten.

Andre Nel
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up, easy to use, and very stable

• "The ease of use has been great. It feels quicker and smoother."
  • "The pricing could be more competitive compared to other products of the same nature."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for anything from work to play, however, I mostly use it for work.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use has been great. It feels quicker and smoother.

The initial setup is very easy.

The stability is very good.

The scalability is good.

It's easy to find answers to any questions by researching online.

What needs improvement?

I've heard that they have plans to take away the control panel, which may be a mistake unless they can improve the level of settings.

I have been using the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while. I've had some time with it.

The solution is quite stable. I recently had a problem with the computer in terms of the computer hanging a lot and probably hanging five times a day and even through that, it up fairly well. It's really stable compared to previous versions.

With all the other Microsoft products you now have with Azure and what I'm currently looking at on Microsoft in June, scaling it company-wide and enterprise-wide would be very, very easy. With Microsoft, that scalability wouldn't be as much as the issue, even if you're not on site.

I am in computer support and therefore I have figured it out or used manuals online or Google searches or so forth. Although I've got access to vendors and distributors and Microsoft themselves, it's usually easier just to figure it out quicker than trying to find somebody in support. Therefore, I don't tend to deal directly with technical support.

I also work with Linux, which is less expensive. However, everyone is used to Microsoft products, and that's usually the easier route.

I found the initial setup to be very simple and straightforward. It's not complex or difficult.

The deployment is very fast. It might have taken 30 minutes or so to get everything up and running.

I can handle the solution myself. I've done it a million times. It's quite easy. Therefore, I don't need the help of any integrators or consultants.

The solution is expensive, compared to Linux. It's kind of overpriced.

It's just very expensive and the people resort to other means trying to get it which makes the problem worse.

What other advice do I have?

I do resell Microsoft products to the distributor, however, not directly from Microsoft.

I've got it on all my devices now. I don't have any older Windows now.

I'd recommend the solution to others. Windows 10 would probably be your safe go-to if you're looking for Microsoft. If you're looking for something else and can't afford the cost, then I would say Linux options may be ideal.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

JD
Enterprise Architect at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to install, easy to use, and intuitive

• "It works. It is stable, unlike other versions of Windows. It is easy to use and intuitive for the most part."
  • "They could really improve or clarify user account types and stuff. I help people with their Microsoft Windows 10 installations and setups. A lot of times, I pre-configure devices for them, and it is a pain to switch the user so that it shows them as the owner when I've done the initial setup. I have found some workarounds for that, but user management on it outside of a domain is somewhat cumbersome. They probably expected that one person is going to be the management and owner of it, and they seem to have built it that way, but third parties like us, who help friends and family with their setups, can sometimes run into some headaches while trying to help people without having our data loaded over to the machine with the synchronization. Microsoft has a tendency to try and put too much into what is supposed to be just an operating system. I would rather have choices and pick what I want to include. They sometimes cram too much in there."

What is our primary use case?

I have my own personal-owned license on my machines at home. I use it for personal usage as well as for work. I use it to run my software, and I also use it for gaming and managing my baseball card trades and stuff like that.

I am on the developer channel, so I am on one version above the release.

What is most valuable?

It works. It is stable, unlike other versions of Windows. It is easy to use and intuitive for the most part.

What needs improvement?

They could really improve or clarify user account types and stuff. I help people with their Microsoft Windows 10 installations and setups. A lot of times, I pre-configure devices for them, and it is a pain to switch the user so that it shows them as the owner when I've done the initial setup. I have found some workarounds for that, but user management on it outside of a domain is somewhat cumbersome. They probably expected that one person is going to be the management and owner of it, and they seem to have built it that way, but third parties like us, who help friends and family with their setups, can sometimes run into some headaches while trying to help people without having our data loaded over to the machine with the synchronization.

I have been using Windows 10 since the first beta came out in 2015. It has been a couple of years.

It is stable. I didn't have any issues that were directly Windows-related. Usually, it had to do with other games and applications having or causing problems.

As long as you're on the 64-bit build, it is very easy to scale.

I have never called Windows tech support for Windows 10. However, I have dealt with the developer group, but that includes people like myself helping each other in the community. I do interact with their developer team on the bug releases and stuff. I fill out the questionnaires and stuff about bugs that I find. I've dealt with them, but that's not really tech support.

I have always used Windows. My previous Windows release was Windows 7. Before that, I had Windows XP. Before that, I had Windows 3.51. It has always been Windows.

Windows is easy to use and intuitive for the most part. I work with Apple devices, but I like being able to have control over my environment. I can have more control with Windows 10 than with others. To be able to use Unix operating system, you have to be an engineer.

It is easy. If you get it new on a machine, you're usually up and running in a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go with the Professional version and not the Home version. I would rate Windows 10 a ten out of ten.