AshutoshGupt
Principal Consultant, Presales at Self-employed
Feature rich, innovative, user friendly, and easy install

• "It is a much faster solution if you are transitioning from a traditional Windows operating system."
  • "If someone is coming from a previous Windows experience, it could be complex."

What is most valuable?

It is a much faster solution if you are transitioning from a traditional Windows operating system. It is simple, feature-rich, innovative, and once you get used to it, it is user friendly as well.

What needs improvement?

If someone is coming from a previous Windows experience, it could be complex. The solution could be more simplistic from a user perspective. When operating the solution sometimes you receive many different types of options, there is a chatbot build in, and some automatic assistance that was not expected.

There are excessive features in this version and the functionality they are based on needs improvement. The traditional way of using a Windows platform has been somehow lost. It will take a little time to get used to the Windows 10 experience.

Some features are not available in the basic version of the software that can be useful.

In the future, the solution should have a more simplified virtual assistant. I think they might be already planning to do this. There should be more features coming in the solution pre-installed. For example, when you purchase Windows 10, you should have a basic version of Microsoft Office installed on it. It should not be priced separately, more inclusion of features should be there.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

Compared to their competition, this solution is stable.

I have found it to be a scalable solution.

Prior to using this solution, I was using Windows seven or Windows eight, not SPF.

The deployment is easy.

I have never bought this solution myself, I generally get it with my Notebook for free. I think they are competitively priced at this moment. They could reduce the price a bit more, currently, it is priced in the middle.

What other advice do I have?

From the last three-four years, while I was using Windows 10, I think it took me some time to really get used to it properly. For example, we had to figure out how to search. Though they have included improvements from a previous version it took time to learn the new changes.

There is not anything to can say negative because you do not have an option to choose in some cases. When you have a PC environment Windows 10 should be there. If you want to review the previous versions or any extensive version of Windows 10, then it may be different. Enterprise has some added features that the basic does not, these advanced features are available for those who need it. There are other solutions such as Mac or Linux, but in a PC environment, you do not have a specific choice.

I rate Windows 10 an eight out of ten.

Fauzi Yusof
General Manager at Mun Chuen Transport
Straightforward to set up with good stability and lots of troubleshooting information available online

• "The solution has been very stable."
  • "The time it takes to initially install the solution could be a bit less. Right now, it takes a few hours. We'd like it to be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for document processing and the database for using Excel. In my case, I use a lot of Excel and Microsoft Word. I tend to stick to Office applications and Microsoft applications only.

What is most valuable?

We are upgrading the physical RAM in order to use the open drive.

We've been familiarizing ourselves with the features.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

The solution has been very stable.

You can easily find answers to any questions you have online.

What needs improvement?

I haven't extensively explored all of the features and aspects of the solution.

I've been using the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is now quite stable. At the beginning, we are facing some problems, however, nowadays, after all of these software patches and security patches, it's quite stabilized. There are no more issues. Its performance is very reliable.

I consider myself an average user and therefore have never attempted to scale the product. I'm not sure how it would go. I have never tried.

I've never reached out to technical support directly. Usually, if I run into issues, I Google answers and troubleshoot by myself. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

We updated from a previous Windows version - either Windows 7 or 8.

The initial setup was very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The installation process took a few hours, as we were upgrading from an old Windows version to Windows 10

I have handled all aspects of the implementation myself. By myself, I have handled the upgrading, auto-upgrading, downloading, and installation by myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

The software and hardware tend to get bundled together in the final price. I can't speak to the exact pricing, as it's not an aspect of the product I deal with.

What other advice do I have?

We have the solution deployed to our desktops and laptops.

I'm simply a regular user. I don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with it so far, however, it's not a perfect product.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PranavGupta
Assistant Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to set up and stable but can slow down your machine

• "The stability of the solution is good. it doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable."
  • "The interface could be more friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it in my new company. I'm working in ISP right now and I'm using the laptop to connect to my applications. That's all I'm using it for. I'm using just virtualization services on my laptop.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable. The performance is good.

The product has been easy to use and simple to navigate.

The solution has the capability to scale if necessary.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

I found that it slowed down my laptop a bit.

I find that, when we start the laptop, when we shut down and restart the laptop, it will take a bit of time to restart. It will take around one minute to restart in total, which feels like a long time. I need the time to be reduced. After replacing the SSD, it reduced the time a bit, however, it has not reduced the time that much overall.

The interface could be more friendly.

Some security features and some services are automatically getting switched on that is of no use. There should be an option that allows us to customize the services that we want to run or that we don't want to run.

I've been using the solution for seven years at this point. I use it on my laptop, and it is pretty old at this point.

The solution can scale. For what I use it for, it's served its purpose.

I'm not sure how many people actually use the solution, as I am new to the organization. I have it on my laptop and suspect more if not all of the employees do too.

The solution is not difficult or complex to install. It is very straightforward and simple. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup process.

It only took about 40 minutes to set up and deploy the solution. It's pretty fast.

I installed the solution myself. I did not need the assistance of any integrators or consultants.

I have a home license that costs me around 1,000 rupees.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'm using the solution from my laptop, not from the server.

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I'm constantly updating it.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten, as I found that this particular generation made my laptop run a bit slow.

RU
Senior Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Easy to setup, with enhanced performance and graphics

• "It is also more stable than previous versions of Windows 10."
  • "They should change their policy to include some basic support for more than just updates."

What is our primary use case?

Windows 10 is the end user's operating system. It is installed on our laptops.

It is an end-user, end-device operating system that provides users who want to establish their own workspace, to continue their day-to-day work.

What is most valuable?

When you compare with the previous generations of Windows, the graphics have been enhanced as well as the performance.

It is also more stable than previous versions of Windows.

What needs improvement?

As it is an operating system, it needs more support.

They should change their policy to include some basic support for more than just updates. We require limited support for customers and issues.

For example, Microsoft has what is known as the blue screen of death or BSOD.

When you experience BSOD, the operating system is corrupted. It needs to be reconfigured or reinstalled, and you have to reconfigure all of the applications as well. For this to be done, the customer must create a ticket with their support services to guide them in the possible steps that are available.

If they could provide some remote assistance, it would help the end users to become self-sufficient and reduce the overall IT maintenance overhead.

I have been using Windows 10 since it was launched.

The stability of the solution has improved. Windows 10 is a stable solution compared to previous versions.

It's a scalable solution.

I have seen environments where lakhs (100,000s) of end-users are using Windows 10.

They should provide remote assistance.

Microsoft needs to work on the support. Even with an S1 production loss ticket, Microsoft does not provide priority support. When they are charging for it, they should provide support for it.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The length of time it takes to deploy is dependant on the configuration. If it is a good configuration, it can take 15 minutes or less to deploy.

Windows 10 does not require a technical team to maintain it. Microsoft provides Windows updates or we use SCCM and other patch management tools to update it for us.

Anyone can complete the installation, it does not require help from an integrator or a consultant.

Microsoft charges a lot for every license, but they don't provide support with it by default.

Instead of charging for support, they should provide support with it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for anyone who wants to set up their own workspace.

I am satisfied with the functionality of the product but not the support.

I would rate Windows 10 a nine out of ten.

Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
User friendly, easy to use, and straightforward installation

• "Windows 10 is user-friendly and easy to use, these are the most valuable features."
  • "The security needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

In my organization, we have developers using mostly Mac systems, for databases we use Linux systems, and everyone else is using Windows 10 systems. We are using Windows 10 as a general operating system.

What is most valuable?

Windows 10 is user-friendly and easy to use, these are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The security needs to improve.

We have been using Windows 10 for approximately nine years.

The stability of this solution depends on many variables, such as the type of usage. If you using it at a bare minimum you will not find any issues, but if you are installing multiple applications and running them at the same time you could run into some problems, such as system underperformance. However, it can depend on the hardware you have installed. You cannot specifically say how the operating system performing without having the other details about configuration and hardware, there are too many variables involved that might be unrelated to the operating system performance.

When comparing Windows 10 and Linux, Linux is more sophisticated when it comes to security and being stable, making it the ideal choice for many servers today.

We have approximately 140 people using Windows 10 systems in my organization.

We do not typically immediately reach out to contact Microsoft technical support. Most of the issues that we face can be solved online. There are quite a lot of articles and help material online where there are many people providing guidance or support for most issues that you encounter. This is not related to commercial technical support.

We have not experienced a lot of trouble with our desktop systems. We only contact technical support on the server level related to security.

We were previously using Windows 7.

The installation is straightforward. You can do it without knowing anything about the solution. However, the difficulty can also depend on the use cases. If someone wants to add features to it or maybe split the hardware's constraints it can get a little technical.

The full installation takes approximately 30 minutes.

I did the implementation of the solution.

I have evaluated Mac and Linux operating systems.

What other advice do I have?

In the market, we are limited to Microsoft, Linux, or Mac. Mac is only on Apple and all their propriety products and Linux is mostly for database servers. Microsoft is a market-leading company and provides a very user-friendly environment in Windows 10 and I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Windows 10 a nine out of ten.

Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Easy to use with a straightforward installation and good stability

• "The solution is useful for end-user computing."
  • "The interface itself could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the client operating system. It is for end-users. We are administrators and it is a desktop client operating system.

What is most valuable?

The solution is useful for end-user computing.

The solution is very stable so far.

We've found it to be flexible.

The product is easy to use.

The new features it offers are very useful.

There have been a lot of improvements and enhancements to the product.

The installation is extremely straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The security aspect of the solution could be improved. they should work to make sure that their security is built out and more robust in future releases.

The interface itself could be more user-friendly.

We started using it about the time it was released. We've been using it for about two years or so now.

The solution has been very, very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of performance.

We have about 500 people using the solution currently.

We do plan to continue to use the solution in the future.

We've had some experience with technical support. They've been fine, in general. We have no complaints. We're satisfied with the level of support they provide to us.

Previous to this solution, it is my understanding that we used Windows 8.

The initial setup is not difficult or overly complex. It's very simple and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process.

The deployment is very fast and only takes about 15 minutes or so.

Since this product is for end-user computing, we have a separate team of four administrators that deal directly with the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

I was able to handle the implementation on my own. It didn't require assistance. We didn't hire any outside consultants or integrators for the setup.

We pay for our licensing on a yearly basis. I can't speak to the exact amount, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I don't know the exact version number.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this product at an eight. It's been reliable and we've been happy with its capabilities overall.

I would recommend the solution to other companies and organizations.

RS
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use with a good UI and excellent scalability

• "The UI is very familiar, which makes it very user-friendly and easy to navigate."
  • "The stability could be a bit stronger - if they were going to work on any specific aspect."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for pretty much everything at the company. We use it for a lot of daily routine tasks.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft is a very trusted brand.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

The product scales well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall the solution having any missing features. We've been happy with its abilities so far. Nothing strikes me as lacking in terms of how it operates.

I've been using the solution for many years.

The stability of the product is very reliable. The performance has been good. We don't deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. That said, if they could continue to improve the product in any way, it would be great for them to continue to work on stability.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We have five people in our organization currently using the product.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I do not recall using a different solution before working with Windows 10.

I did not handle the implementation and therefore cannot speak to how easy or difficult it was. I'm unsure as to how long the actual deployment took as I didn't play a role in the process.

There was someone who handled the implementation for me, however, I can't speak to if they were a consultant or integrator.

I cannot speak to the exact licensing costs. It's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution both for personal purposes as well as part of my employment duties.

I can't speak to which version of the solution we are using. I can't say if it is the latest or not.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it as a nine. We've been very pleased with its overall capabilities over the time that we have used it.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Mostafa
System Administrator at Suez Canal Insurance
Review about Windows 10
Microsoft has been closely watching the onslaught of this new ransomware epidemic and added a slew of new features to the second major update of Win10 which is called "Creators Update" — Win 10 CU for short — which has been rolling out for a few weeks, consumers first. Presenting new anti-ransomware protection features added in Win 10 CU, Robert Lefferts, Director of Program Management, Windows Enterprise and Security, said that no Windows 10 customer was affected by the recent WannaCry ransomware outbreak that took place in mid-May and no currently known ransomware strain can infect Windows 10. From a security perspective, CU is a massive improvement. The new security features include the following list, apart from a host of non-security related additions like a 3D version of MS…

From a security perspective, CU is a massive improvement.

The new security features include the following list, apart from a host of non-security related additions like a 3D version of MS Paint. :-)

• Click-to-run for Adobe Flash in Edge — which prevents ransomware and other malware from landing on Windows 10 PCs via exploits kits and drive-by downloads.
  • Instant cloud protection via Windows Defender — According to Microsoft, starting with CU, Windows Defender AV can suspend a suspicious file from running and sync with the cloud protection service to further inspect the file.
  • Fast remediation mechanism at detection — Microsoft says it has made great strides to "remediate ransomware infection and limit ransomware activity from minutes to seconds, reducing its damage from hundreds of encrypted files to a few." Microsoft credits this to Windows Defender AV’s behavioral engine, who can aggregate malware behavior across processes and stages.
  • Improved detection for script-based attacks — Microsoft says its Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI) was modified to intervene during the strategic execution points of JS or VBS script runtimes, two infection vectors often used by ransomware.
  • Wow64 compatibility scanning — In CU, Windows Defender AV added a process-scanning feature that uses the Wow64 compatibility layer, enabling it to better inspect system interactions of 32-bit applications running on 64-bit operating systems.
  • Process tree visualizations — feature added to Windows Defender ATP, the commercial version of Windows Defender.
  • Artifact searching capabilities — feature added to Windows Defender ATP.
  • Machine isolation and quarantine — feature added to Windows Defender ATP.
  • Windows Edge browser — better protection against remote code execution attacks.

Overall, your average user will probably not notice the difference

Overall, it's a good update, but it stands out for its incremental tweaks and behind-the-scenes improvements to matters such as security, updates and privacy, rather than for spectacular new features.

Obviously, you will not be able to roll this out immediately in your organization, despite the CU security improvements. Implementing CU is likely not a priority if you have just started to deploy Win10, and you might jump straight to the next major update, codenamed Redstone 3 which is due later this year.

The update is available to MSDN/TechNet subscribers running the Enterprise, Education and IoT Core edition. Organizations that have Windows via the Volume License Service Center have been able to get the update since May 1.