Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
User friendly, easy to use, and straightforward installation

• "Windows 10 is user-friendly and easy to use, these are the most valuable features."
  • "The security needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

In my organization, we have developers using mostly Mac systems, for databases we use Linux systems, and everyone else is using Windows 10 systems. We are using Windows 10 as a general operating system.

What is most valuable?

Windows 10 is user-friendly and easy to use, these are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The security needs to improve.

We have been using Windows 10 for approximately nine years.

The stability of this solution depends on many variables, such as the type of usage. If you using it at a bare minimum you will not find any issues, but if you are installing multiple applications and running them at the same time you could run into some problems, such as system underperformance. However, it can depend on the hardware you have installed. You cannot specifically say how the operating system performing without having the other details about configuration and hardware, there are too many variables involved that might be unrelated to the operating system performance.

When comparing Windows 10 and Linux, Linux is more sophisticated when it comes to security and being stable, making it the ideal choice for many servers today.

We have approximately 140 people using Windows 10 systems in my organization.

We do not typically immediately reach out to contact Microsoft technical support. Most of the issues that we face can be solved online. There are quite a lot of articles and help material online where there are many people providing guidance or support for most issues that you encounter. This is not related to commercial technical support.

We have not experienced a lot of trouble with our desktop systems. We only contact technical support on the server level related to security.

We were previously using Windows 7.

The installation is straightforward. You can do it without knowing anything about the solution. However, the difficulty can also depend on the use cases. If someone wants to add features to it or maybe split the hardware's constraints it can get a little technical.

The full installation takes approximately 30 minutes.

I did the implementation of the solution.

I have evaluated Mac and Linux operating systems.

What other advice do I have?

In the market, we are limited to Microsoft, Linux, or Mac. Mac is only on Apple and all their propriety products and Linux is mostly for database servers. Microsoft is a market-leading company and provides a very user-friendly environment in Windows 10 and I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Windows 10 a nine out of ten.

Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Easy to use with a straightforward installation and good stability

• "The solution is useful for end-user computing."
  • "The interface itself could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the client operating system. It is for end-users. We are administrators and it is a desktop client operating system.

What is most valuable?

The solution is useful for end-user computing.

The solution is very stable so far.

We've found it to be flexible.

The product is easy to use.

The new features it offers are very useful.

There have been a lot of improvements and enhancements to the product.

The installation is extremely straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The security aspect of the solution could be improved. they should work to make sure that their security is built out and more robust in future releases.

The interface itself could be more user-friendly.

We started using it about the time it was released. We've been using it for about two years or so now.

The solution has been very, very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of performance.

We have about 500 people using the solution currently.

We do plan to continue to use the solution in the future.

We've had some experience with technical support. They've been fine, in general. We have no complaints. We're satisfied with the level of support they provide to us.

Previous to this solution, it is my understanding that we used Windows 8.

The initial setup is not difficult or overly complex. It's very simple and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process.

The deployment is very fast and only takes about 15 minutes or so.

Since this product is for end-user computing, we have a separate team of four administrators that deal directly with the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

I was able to handle the implementation on my own. It didn't require assistance. We didn't hire any outside consultants or integrators for the setup.

We pay for our licensing on a yearly basis. I can't speak to the exact amount, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I don't know the exact version number.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this product at an eight. It's been reliable and we've been happy with its capabilities overall.

I would recommend the solution to other companies and organizations.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RS
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use with a good UI and excellent scalability

• "The UI is very familiar, which makes it very user-friendly and easy to navigate."
  • "The stability could be a bit stronger - if they were going to work on any specific aspect."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for pretty much everything at the company. We use it for a lot of daily routine tasks.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft is a very trusted brand.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

The product scales well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall the solution having any missing features. We've been happy with its abilities so far. Nothing strikes me as lacking in terms of how it operates.

I've been using the solution for many years.

The stability of the product is very reliable. The performance has been good. We don't deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. That said, if they could continue to improve the product in any way, it would be great for them to continue to work on stability.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We have five people in our organization currently using the product.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I do not recall using a different solution before working with Windows 10.

I did not handle the implementation and therefore cannot speak to how easy or difficult it was. I'm unsure as to how long the actual deployment took as I didn't play a role in the process.

There was someone who handled the implementation for me, however, I can't speak to if they were a consultant or integrator.

I cannot speak to the exact licensing costs. It's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution both for personal purposes as well as part of my employment duties.

I can't speak to which version of the solution we are using. I can't say if it is the latest or not.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it as a nine. We've been very pleased with its overall capabilities over the time that we have used it.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Mostafa
System Administrator at Suez Canal Insurance
Review about Windows 10
Microsoft has been closely watching the onslaught of this new ransomware epidemic and added a slew of new features to the second major update of Win10 which is called "Creators Update" — Win 10 CU for short — which has been rolling out for a few weeks, consumers first. Presenting new anti-ransomware protection features added in Win 10 CU, Robert Lefferts, Director of Program Management, Windows Enterprise and Security, said that no Windows 10 customer was affected by the recent WannaCry ransomware outbreak that took place in mid-May and no currently known ransomware strain can infect Windows 10. From a security perspective, CU is a massive improvement. The new security features include the following list, apart from a host of non-security related additions like a 3D version of MS…

From a security perspective, CU is a massive improvement.

The new security features include the following list, apart from a host of non-security related additions like a 3D version of MS Paint. :-)

• Click-to-run for Adobe Flash in Edge — which prevents ransomware and other malware from landing on Windows 10 PCs via exploits kits and drive-by downloads.
  • Instant cloud protection via Windows Defender — According to Microsoft, starting with CU, Windows Defender AV can suspend a suspicious file from running and sync with the cloud protection service to further inspect the file.
  • Fast remediation mechanism at detection — Microsoft says it has made great strides to "remediate ransomware infection and limit ransomware activity from minutes to seconds, reducing its damage from hundreds of encrypted files to a few." Microsoft credits this to Windows Defender AV’s behavioral engine, who can aggregate malware behavior across processes and stages.
  • Improved detection for script-based attacks — Microsoft says its Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI) was modified to intervene during the strategic execution points of JS or VBS script runtimes, two infection vectors often used by ransomware.
  • Wow64 compatibility scanning — In CU, Windows Defender AV added a process-scanning feature that uses the Wow64 compatibility layer, enabling it to better inspect system interactions of 32-bit applications running on 64-bit operating systems.
  • Process tree visualizations — feature added to Windows Defender ATP, the commercial version of Windows Defender.
  • Artifact searching capabilities — feature added to Windows Defender ATP.
  • Machine isolation and quarantine — feature added to Windows Defender ATP.
  • Windows Edge browser — better protection against remote code execution attacks.

Overall, your average user will probably not notice the difference

Overall, it's a good update, but it stands out for its incremental tweaks and behind-the-scenes improvements to matters such as security, updates and privacy, rather than for spectacular new features.

Obviously, you will not be able to roll this out immediately in your organization, despite the CU security improvements. Implementing CU is likely not a priority if you have just started to deploy Win10, and you might jump straight to the next major update, codenamed Redstone 3 which is due later this year.

The update is available to MSDN/TechNet subscribers running the Enterprise, Education and IoT Core edition. Organizations that have Windows via the Volume License Service Center have been able to get the update since May 1.

Abdulla Pathan
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
Stable, easy to use, and scalable

• "We have found the solution to be stable."
  • "The price could be cheaper. If they want to compete with Linux, they need to actually come out at a lesser cost."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for development. Mainly, it's easy for developers to learn, and allows for adaptability of the Windows platforms to make it easy for developers to develop any application. Its development environments might not be available on Linux or other platforms such as Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for a couple of years at this point.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

It's pretty much used by everybody in the company. That's likely 1000 or more users.

It's my understanding that we don't really need technical support. Everything seems to be working. Microsoft, quality wise, if you take a look at it, has less of a likelihood of facing any quality slippage that would affect the whole operating system. It's very reliable.

I have always used Windows. I did not use any other solution.

The installation was handled by our IT team. I was not a part of that process. Therefore, I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was. However, my understanding is that it went pretty well.

We have a centralized team of five to ten people that handle deployment and maintenance on this and many other solutions within the company.

The solution is pricey. If cost is a problem, users should look at Linux.

We paid for the solution one time and don't have any recurring fees.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user and a customer.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with the product.

I would recommend the solution, however, I don't really need to. People prefer Microsoft. It's not me recommending the solution that will make people buy it. It is already a market leader and it doesn't require any help remaining so.

IB
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with great updates and an easy user experience

• "It offers an easy user experience for our customers."
  • "Users should be able to access the system remotely."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution alongside a system center configuration manager. I am installing it on mobile devices to upgrade and update the security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is modern and updated often.

It offers an easy user experience for our customers.

We find the product to be quite stable.

You can scale the solution easily when you need to.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by simultaneously adding more features and also giving the user more ability to decrease some features to help keep the speed of the device decent.

Users should be able to access the system remotely.

The solution should be more responsive and faster.

It would be helpful if the solution was able to integrate better with other platforms, like Android or Apple.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is quite stable. We don't seem to have any bugs or glitches on the system. It doesn't crash or freeze at all. I consider it to be reliable.

The solution is highly scalable. From Windows 7 to 8 to 10, you can upgrade at any time and you can add storage and remote access. A company that needs to expand it shouldn't have any issues.

Currently, we have more than 3,000 uses on the product. We do plan to increase usage int eh future.

We've used technical support in the past and have found them to be very knowledgable and responsive. I'd rate them nine out of ten in terms of the service they provide.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Deployment took about three years. We had to upgrade many files from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There were some minor issues with the process, however, we were able to overcome them.

We have four people on staff that handle deployment and maintenance.

There are different licenses available, however, I don't know what the costs are. It's not a part of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution. I believe a lot of people and companies already use it, to be honest. However, I do need to pay more for monitoring and to fix some issues related to the product.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

AV
Graduate Trainee at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up with good technical support and excellent scalability

• "Technical support is available 24/7 and we find them to be helpful."
  • "The solution could always be more secure, even though I am quite happy with its level of security at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

The product is basically used to run all of your products. It's an operating system. It's the platform of my choice, and I've never used any other OS. I'd describe its use as basically a facilitator of all the platforms that I work with.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly and extremely easy to use. It's intuitive and easy.

The scalability of the product is excellent.

Technical support is available 24/7 and we find them to be helpful.

It's easy to install the solution.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for more than five years at this point. We started using the solution around the time it first came out. It's been a while.

The scalability of the product is excellent. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's relatively easy to do.

Pretty much everyone at our organization uses it. It's fairly widespread.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. We don't have one-on-one support, however, they are online all the time, allowing you to connect 24/7. We have found them to be helpful and responsive and we are satisfied with the level of service that is provided to us.

I have not used another solution. This is the only OS that I have experience with.

The installation is not overly complex or difficult. It's quite simple and very straightforward.

The deployment is relatively quick. The installation only takes maybe two to three hours.

I'm able to handle the installation process myself. It's not difficult. I didn't need to enlist the assistance of a consultant or integrator, for example.

You do need to purchase a license from Microsoft. We paid for it just once, and not monthly or yearly. I can't speak to the exact price that we pay.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. It gets updates directly from Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been quite happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend it to other users and other organizations.

HN
IT Manager – Information Technology Office at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers helpful technical support, is easy to use, and has a simple initial setup

• "The interface is easy to use."
  • "I would prefer it if the solution was cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my personal needs. I use it for browsing the internet and things like that. It's fairly basic usage.

What is most valuable?

I'm generally using the solution as it is the latest option from Microsoft and I prefer the most up-to-date products with the latest features.

The updates are good and not particularly invasive.

The interface is easy to use. Overall, it's quite good and easy to navigate.

The initial setup is not difficult. It's pretty straightforward.

I have found the solution to be quite stable.

Technical support has always been helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing particularly unique or special about the solution.

For security reasons, they should continue to update certain aspects. It would make the solution safer in the long run.

The stability could always be strengthened.

I would prefer it if the solution was cheaper.

I've used the solution from the beginning - since it launched. It's been many years.

I've never faced any issues with stability. For my usage, I have found it to be very reliable. there are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

That said, stability could always be a bit better.

I only use the solution on my PC. I have not attempted to scale the product. I wouldn't be able to really determine how scalable it is.

I have no plans to increase usage.

While I haven't contacted technical support for myself, I have for my business, and I have found Microsoft support to be helpful and responsive. I'm satisfied with the level of support I have gotten.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The solution is a bit expensive, and it would always be preferable if it didn't cost as much as it does.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a Windows 10 user. I use it on my own personal PC as well as at work.

We are using the latest version of the solution. We use the most up-to-date as we routinely update the product.

The system, as it is right now, is sufficient for my purposes.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

At this time, finding that it meets my needs, I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.

Download our free Windows 10 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.