BobenGeorge
Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Installs easily, is reliable, and is easy to use

• "It is easy to use."
  • "The security should be increased."

What is our primary use case?

Windows 10 is an operating system that I am using on my laptop to run applications.

What is most valuable?

Windows 10 is very good.

They build a lot on the stages, which has helped in making Windows 11 an improved version.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The security should be increased. More people are using Windows 10, which makes it more vulnerable. With more people using it makes you prone to attacks. It has to be updated frequently, along with the market trends.

Frequent updates can be frustrating.

The technical support should be more feasible, and more viable. Their work strategy needs to be changed.

I have been using Windows 10 for four years.

Windows 10 is stable, unlike Windows 7, the previous version.

Everyone in the organization is using this solution. Some also have it installed on their personal laptops for personal use. We even have situations where it is installed on a Mac.

It is difficult to approach them to get a solution.

We don't have a dedicated technician who is connecting to us or to address any issues we are experiencing.

You can try to call, and it just rings, or we connect to some local corner in the world to tell our story and what we need from them before we can get a solution.

This is an issue that we have with Microsoft.

I am using Windows 11.

As a technical team, we use many solutions in several different environments.
For example, testing environments, and virtual environments.

The installation is feasible. In terms of the installation, it is straightforward, they have improved the installation process quite a bit.

It can take 15 to 20 minutes to deploy.

We don't require anyone to maintain the solution, we push it through an SCCM. They get connected to the LAN network.

I was able to complete the installation myself.

We pay Microsoft a yearly license fee. Our payments are made through the portal.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using this solution.

I would rate Windows 10 a nine out of ten.

MB
Founder, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Straightforward installation

• "I think that they have been doing a great job for a long time now when it comes to installation and user experience."
  • "Although the solution has been pretty nice to use, I have encountered certain bugs in the updates."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the latest version.

I use it on my personal computer for such things as emails and Youtube. What with the current pandemic, my kids use it for homeschooling.

What needs improvement?

Although the solution has been pretty nice to use, I have encountered certain bugs in the updates. Other than that, things have been pretty good, although I do prefer Mac over Windows nowadays, having a couple years' experience with it in the past. I feel it to be a better operating system when compared with Windows.

While I consider Windows to be one of the most user-friendly operating systems and a market leader, the bugs which have plagued it's updates all along are problematic. This is why I choose to deduct a point from its rating.

An example of a bug I encountered one or two months back involved the malfunctioning of certain keys on the laptop. When I removed the update, things reverted to normal. This can be a problem when one of the keys is part of your password. It necessitates use of the virtual keyboard, which is open to others. These are issues Microsoft should be addressing and should resolve prior to releasing the patch.

QA needs to be improved.

I've been using Windows 10 for the last two to three years.

While the solution has been good, overall, the bugs I have come across have been an issue.

I have never had occasion to contact technical support. As a technician, myself, I've managed to fix things on my own.

The installation has been pretty straightforward. I think that they have been doing a great job for a long time now when it comes to installation and user experience.

A single installation takes no more than 25 minutes.

One can handle the installation on his own.

Every time I've bought Windows, it came bundled with the laptop, so we are talking about a perpetual license. I'm not sure how this would operate in the retail market.

What other advice do I have?

I would, definitely, recommend this solution to others.

I make personal use of it.

I would not rate Windows 10 as a ten out of ten, but would give it a rating of nine.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
US
Senior Manager, Information Technology at a university with 201-500 employees
Efficient, stable, and quick to deploy

• "Everyone uses Windows 10 and they are very familiar with how to operate it. You don't need to do intensive training."
  • "There are no missing features."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Windows processes. We only work on Windows.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

We are able to integrate what we need to.

The product works very well.

We found the initial setup to be quite straightforward. The deployment is fast as well.

The security has gotten much better over the years. Several years ago, it was not as good as it is now.

There are fewer updates and it's a very efficient product.

What needs improvement?

So far, the solution offers everything we need and we are happy with its capabilities. There are no missing features.

We've likely been using the solution for more than ten years at this point. It's been over a decade and we've used it for quite a long time. We started using it around the time it was launched.

The solution has been stable over the years. It doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches. The performance is pretty good.

While I cannot speak to how scalable the solution is, I would say that it is scalable enough for our purposes.

We have about 1,000 people using the solution currently.

We've never had any issues with technical support. They have always been knowledgeable and ready to assist. It's very easy to browse forums and find answers to your questions. We're quite satisfied with the availability of assistance.

Previous to this solution, we used Windows 7. We simply moved to Windows 10 in order to upgrade our Windows.

The solution is very straightforward and simple in terms of having to do an initial setup. It's not too difficult.

It only takes about an hour to deploy the solution. It's fast and easy.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It works very well for our organization.

I would recommend the product to other users and organizations.

SN
Business Transformation Advisory at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
GUI has been greatly enhanced and it has the single click advantage

• "The GUI has been enhanced and it supports the 365 suite."
  • "Lack of alerts when there are issues with connectivity or power surges."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Windows 10 is for any type of office work - emails, remote connectivity, document management, storage and the like. I'm an associate partner.

What is most valuable?

From a user standpoint, the GUI has been enhanced as well as some add-ons with respect to news, forecasts, GPS. I think overall there are some good features and it has the single click advantage. Also, the entire integration supports the 365 Suite.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some sort of technical notification service reminder regarding hardware health. It's a feature that could help because I get quite a lot of Microsoft Office crashes. It asks whether you want to report them and then the notification disappears into thin air. I also think that task manager needs to be a little more graphical in nature, with more user analytics and I'd also like to know usages so I can run an operating system sometimes, multitasking, things like that. There are sometimes connectivity issues when there is any sort of power fluctuation with the adapter or from the main, and I think that area needs improvement. If there are power surges, or the adapter is not able to send the required power to the BIOS, there should be alerts. The other big one for me is integration with the hardware so that, for example, a user can know if there's a problem of dead pixels on the screen, some sort of predictive analytics on that front would be helpful.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

The solution is stable despite some crashes that I've experienced. On the whole it's performance has improved and optimization-wise, the issues are not generally visible to the end user.

They've done a good job from a scalability perspective because if you look at the different systems that are enabled, the operating system does a good job.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution, it's been tried and tested over years and I am very comfortable with it. At the end of the day, it's about affordability, and Microsoft OS stands out from that perspective.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Pete Fotopoulos
Vice President - Network and Infrastructure at NJA LLC
A good operating system with a valuable encryption tool

• "The operating system itself is good."
  • "I think the user interface can be a little bit better."

What is our primary use case?

I use Windows 10 just for application purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

The operating system itself is good, and I use BitLocker for encryption. Another valuable feature is the snipping tool, where you could cut and paste.

What needs improvement?

I think the user interface can be a little bit better. Improve the menus because navigating the menu could be a little difficult if you don't have any experience.

They need to get rid of that hive registry. Over time, the hive can get defragged, and you have to start installing and uninstalling. It becomes very fragmented and very convoluted with multi-layers.

Their support could also be better. Sometimes support can get lost when outsourced or outsourced somewhere to a different culture.

I've been using Windows 10 for over four years.

Stability depends on how programs are written, in terms of memory management and more. But it has become somewhat stable.

Scalability is easier if you're using the VDI or the virtual desktop. If you have to deal with it on an individual basis, then that becomes a little complex and tedious.

Support could be better. But on a scale from one to ten, I'll give Windows 10 support a seven.

We had Linux before. For administration purposes and those types of roles, Windows is more user-friendly. Windows was more user-friendly at the time, but Linux has caught up.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

For those interested in using Windows 10, I would advise them to stay up to date with security patches. The one bad thing about Windows is that it tends to put the system slowly into acquiesce mode, where things stop operating if you don't apply security patches. When it comes to that, the first level of troubleshooting is installing the operating system patches, and then before you know it, everything's working fine again.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Windows 10 a nine.

DJ
Manager-IT at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great interface and useful for me that the drivers are loaded by default

• "Great user interface and drivers are loaded into the solution by default."
  • "A very expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for desktop computing, PowerPoint and accessing the ERP. I'm an IT manager and we're users of Windows 10.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is great and I like that the drivers are loaded into it by default because it is straight. We don't have to download much and can very easily get it into our network. They also have some good security features.

What needs improvement?

The price is always high. Whenever I go out to buy a computer and want to buy a Windows license for it, it makes up a quarter of the total cost. It sometimes helps if it's bundled with the machine, but it's still expensive.

I've been using this solution for two years.

It's a stable solution, we don't generally have issues with glitches.

It's quite a scalable solution. We have around 400 users.

Two years ago we took annual support from Microsoft and then we shipped it to other vendors where we were directly dealing with Microsoft. There were some issues regarding the solution at that time but things have improved since then.

We use Mac OS in the company. One of our directors prefers it to Windows so we went with that at work. But it really is very costly even though you get good security with it. They are more reliable than Windows and less chance of being hacked or broken into. It's a very sturdy machine. On the other hand, I prefer the ease of use with Windows.

What other advice do I have?

The use of Windows really depends on individual preference, but I would say Windows 10 is better. If you have the money then you can use Mac OS because it would make a difference if you have an iPhone plus an iPad, and you sync everything. To get all that into place requires a lot of money. Windows has its drawbacks and glitches and some instability, but on the whole it works and it's fine.

There are problems with every solution - I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Gaurav-Jain
Consultant (Architect) at MasterCard Incorporated
Straightforward to set up, user-friendly, and support an entire ecosystem of tools

• "Microsoft technology is very simple and user friendly."
  • "Windows needs improvements made with respect to security because it is still vulnerable."

What is our primary use case?

I am an application developer and Windows 10 is the environment that I prefer to use.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft technology is very simple and user friendly.

Some of the features that I like are Skype and the Windows Store.

Most of Microsoft Office is essential to use.

OneNote and Visio are features that I use in my day-to-day activities.

What needs improvement?

Windows needs improvements made with respect to security because it is still vulnerable. Often, there are vulnerabilities found that they are releasing patches for. For example, Windows servers are still not very difficult to hack. When I was working with their products several years ago, it was really easy to break the Windows Server password.

There are some features such as wireless display and remote desktop connections that are not available in the Home Edition, but it would be really helpful for home users to have access to these.

I would like to see some kind of tool that can be used to plug in and connect to Azure technologies.

Of course, there are issues or bugs that are found, and we can help by reporting them to the Windows team. There regularly work on them and provide patches to update and fix them as soon as possible.

I have not personally spoken with Microsoft technical support for Windows 10 because there is a team in our office that deals with them directly.

I have experience with Linux, but Windows 10 is more user-friendly in easier to use. In Linux, you have to remember command syntax, but in Windows, this is not required. A lot of help for Windows users is available.

The initial setup is really straightforward. It is plug-and-play and you don't need much experience or learning before performing the setup.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, my experience with Windows 10 is really good and I like most of the features. It is easy to use compared to other operating systems like Ubuntu. They provide the entire ecosystem including tools and technologies, and Microsoft has that whole umbrella available. It makes you feel comfortable.

MV
Team leader technical support at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Scales well, stable, and easy to setup

• "We like the productivity."
  • "The update cycle could use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use for Windows 10 is as a platform to host our enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

We like the productivity.

Most importantly, it's everywhere.

The compatibility of applications factor is the main reason to choose the Microsoft operating system.

What needs improvement?

The update cycle could use some improvement. There have been a lot of zero-day security issues that have mostly been met, but, the way Microsoft handled these could sometimes be less user disruptive.

It could be more secure, which is our main concern from a company's perspective.

The technical support could also be improved.

We have been using Windows 10 since 2015.

We are using the latest version.

We deployed it on-premises and it has also been deployed as Azure Virtual Desktop.

It is stable enough for our purposes.

Windows 10 is definitely scalable. We have 300 users in our organization who use it.

Technical support is a bit varied. Depending on the type of technical support that you need, most are very responsive and usually, they are quite knowledgeable.

There is definitely room for improvement, especially with more complex and less straightforward questions. It tends to stay in the area of data gathering.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

The length of time for deployment depends on the scale,

On a one-for-one basis, and using the automation tools that are provided with additional licensing, we use Microsoft Endpoint manager for this. it doesn't take very much time.

We have three people to manage it on a day-to-day basis.

Pricing depends on the type of license. If you are an enterprise customer, you can pay for licensing on a monthly basis.

We, however, are an educations firm, we pay for our licensing on an annual basis. It also depends on the relationship you have with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Windows 10 an eight.

Download our free Windows 10 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.