DJ
Manager-IT at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great interface and useful for me that the drivers are loaded by default

• "Great user interface and drivers are loaded into the solution by default."
  • "A very expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for desktop computing, PowerPoint and accessing the ERP. I'm an IT manager and we're users of Windows 10.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is great and I like that the drivers are loaded into it by default because it is straight. We don't have to download much and can very easily get it into our network. They also have some good security features.

What needs improvement?

The price is always high. Whenever I go out to buy a computer and want to buy a Windows license for it, it makes up a quarter of the total cost. It sometimes helps if it's bundled with the machine, but it's still expensive.

I've been using this solution for two years.

It's a stable solution, we don't generally have issues with glitches.

It's quite a scalable solution. We have around 400 users.

Two years ago we took annual support from Microsoft and then we shipped it to other vendors where we were directly dealing with Microsoft. There were some issues regarding the solution at that time but things have improved since then.

We use Mac OS in the company. One of our directors prefers it to Windows so we went with that at work. But it really is very costly even though you get good security with it. They are more reliable than Windows and less chance of being hacked or broken into. It's a very sturdy machine. On the other hand, I prefer the ease of use with Windows.

What other advice do I have?

The use of Windows really depends on individual preference, but I would say Windows 10 is better. If you have the money then you can use Mac OS because it would make a difference if you have an iPhone plus an iPad, and you sync everything. To get all that into place requires a lot of money. Windows has its drawbacks and glitches and some instability, but on the whole it works and it's fine.

There are problems with every solution - I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

PC
Program Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good appearance, runs many application, but speed could improve

• "When comparing Windows 10 to Windows XP, Windows 10 is much better. The appearance is very good."
  • "The performance of Windows 10 is a bit slow because it takes a lot of time for loading. That is a concern because the same 4GB Ram laptop, which I used with Windows XP and other versions, has been faster than Windows 10."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Windows 10 to run applications that I can learn from, such as Tableau, Power Applications, and Power Automate.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Windows 10 for approximately two years.

In my organization, we have more than 10,000 people using Windows 10.

When I have issues with my personal computer there are options in the Windows itself, to report back to the organization. It has other support options, such as recovery. Since I bought the computer from Dell they are able to help me in some places but other places they cannot. Windows 10 does become slower in comparison to Windows XP.

With respect to my organization, most of the issues are taken care of by the IT department.

I was using a computer with Windows XP and I did not have a choice to switch to Windows 10. It is what came with the laptop I purchased. If you want to purchase a computer right now you will receive a computer with Windows 11 preinstalled.

I've not installed Windows 10 because I received it preloaded in the system from Dell.  However, I did install Windows XP, but I have not installed Windows 11 yet.

Windows 10 came preinstalled on my laptop, I am not sure the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Windows 10 to others if their systems have more than 8GB RAM. If anyone is having 4GB or less, then Windows XP is much better. However, Windows XP is now obsolete, it's not in the market right now.

I rate Windows 10 a six out of ten because of the speed issues. It takes a lot of time to load, especially if it's on lower RAM, such as 4GB RAM, it's quite slow.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pete Fotopoulos
Vice President - Network and Infrastructure at NJA LLC
A good operating system with a valuable encryption tool

• "The operating system itself is good."
  • "I think the user interface can be a little bit better."

What is our primary use case?

I use Windows 10 just for application purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

The operating system itself is good, and I use BitLocker for encryption. Another valuable feature is the snipping tool, where you could cut and paste.

What needs improvement?

I think the user interface can be a little bit better. Improve the menus because navigating the menu could be a little difficult if you don't have any experience.

They need to get rid of that hive registry. Over time, the hive can get defragged, and you have to start installing and uninstalling. It becomes very fragmented and very convoluted with multi-layers.

Their support could also be better. Sometimes support can get lost when outsourced or outsourced somewhere to a different culture.

I've been using Windows 10 for over four years.

Stability depends on how programs are written, in terms of memory management and more. But it has become somewhat stable.

Scalability is easier if you're using the VDI or the virtual desktop. If you have to deal with it on an individual basis, then that becomes a little complex and tedious.

Support could be better. But on a scale from one to ten, I'll give Windows 10 support a seven.

We had Linux before. For administration purposes and those types of roles, Windows is more user-friendly. Windows was more user-friendly at the time, but Linux has caught up.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

For those interested in using Windows 10, I would advise them to stay up to date with security patches. The one bad thing about Windows is that it tends to put the system slowly into acquiesce mode, where things stop operating if you don't apply security patches. When it comes to that, the first level of troubleshooting is installing the operating system patches, and then before you know it, everything's working fine again.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Windows 10 a nine.

Gaurav-Jain
Consultant (Architect) at MasterCard Incorporated
Straightforward to set up, user-friendly, and support an entire ecosystem of tools

• "Microsoft technology is very simple and user friendly."
  • "Windows needs improvements made with respect to security because it is still vulnerable."

What is our primary use case?

I am an application developer and Windows 10 is the environment that I prefer to use.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft technology is very simple and user friendly.

Some of the features that I like are Skype and the Windows Store.

Most of Microsoft Office is essential to use.

OneNote and Visio are features that I use in my day-to-day activities.

What needs improvement?

Windows needs improvements made with respect to security because it is still vulnerable. Often, there are vulnerabilities found that they are releasing patches for. For example, Windows servers are still not very difficult to hack. When I was working with their products several years ago, it was really easy to break the Windows Server password.

There are some features such as wireless display and remote desktop connections that are not available in the Home Edition, but it would be really helpful for home users to have access to these.

I would like to see some kind of tool that can be used to plug in and connect to Azure technologies.

Of course, there are issues or bugs that are found, and we can help by reporting them to the Windows team. There regularly work on them and provide patches to update and fix them as soon as possible.

I have not personally spoken with Microsoft technical support for Windows 10 because there is a team in our office that deals with them directly.

I have experience with Linux, but Windows 10 is more user-friendly in easier to use. In Linux, you have to remember command syntax, but in Windows, this is not required. A lot of help for Windows users is available.

The initial setup is really straightforward. It is plug-and-play and you don't need much experience or learning before performing the setup.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, my experience with Windows 10 is really good and I like most of the features. It is easy to use compared to other operating systems like Ubuntu. They provide the entire ecosystem including tools and technologies, and Microsoft has that whole umbrella available. It makes you feel comfortable.

MV
Team leader technical support at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Scales well, stable, and easy to setup

• "We like the productivity."
  • "The update cycle could use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use for Windows 10 is as a platform to host our enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

We like the productivity.

Most importantly, it's everywhere.

The compatibility of applications factor is the main reason to choose the Microsoft operating system.

What needs improvement?

The update cycle could use some improvement. There have been a lot of zero-day security issues that have mostly been met, but, the way Microsoft handled these could sometimes be less user disruptive.

It could be more secure, which is our main concern from a company's perspective.

The technical support could also be improved.

We have been using Windows 10 since 2015.

We are using the latest version.

We deployed it on-premises and it has also been deployed as Azure Virtual Desktop.

It is stable enough for our purposes.

Windows 10 is definitely scalable. We have 300 users in our organization who use it.

Technical support is a bit varied. Depending on the type of technical support that you need, most are very responsive and usually, they are quite knowledgeable.

There is definitely room for improvement, especially with more complex and less straightforward questions. It tends to stay in the area of data gathering.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

The length of time for deployment depends on the scale,

On a one-for-one basis, and using the automation tools that are provided with additional licensing, we use Microsoft Endpoint manager for this. it doesn't take very much time.

We have three people to manage it on a day-to-day basis.

Pricing depends on the type of license. If you are an enterprise customer, you can pay for licensing on a monthly basis.

We, however, are an educations firm, we pay for our licensing on an annual basis. It also depends on the relationship you have with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Windows 10 an eight.

MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use for everyone, simple installation, but expensive

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its ease of use. It is the most used operating system in the world."
  • "The solution can improve by making it more private and allowing users to know what operations are going on in the background code."

What is our primary use case?

Windows 10 can be used for running personal or business applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by making it more private and allowing users to know what operations are going on in the background code. More transparency is needed. For example, there is a project called Purism which is a Linux operating system that comes in a form of a phone or a laptop. Their focus is transparency, if I wanted to know what exactly is happening on my device, I can always go to the project documentation and take a look for my peace of mind.

I have been using Windows 10 for approximately five years.

Everyone in my organization is using this solution.

I have never needed to open a ticket with the Microsoft technical team.

I have used Purism Linux.

The installation is simple and anyone could do it.

We have a team that does the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

The solution can be expensive for businesses to use Microsoft Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend Windows 10 personally, but because it is the most used operating system, most employees in an organization would adapt to it quickly. They are familiar with it.

It is good to look at alternatives and evaluate. At the same time never underestimate the effect of rejection that end users can have if you change the technology.

I would advise others using Windows solutions to invest heavily in the security products, they are the most used operating system. That does not make it less secure than other operating systems but it makes it more targeted. When it is more targeted you will have more vulnerabilities and therefore it is really important to focus on the security aspects when it comes to Windows infrastructure.

I rate Windows 10 a seven out of ten.

JL
General manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, easy to set up and very stable

• "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "Occasionally configurations can be a bit tricky."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for just normal documented work, including work schedules or things of that nature.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user friendly.

The interface of the solution makes it very easy to navigate.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product is very stable.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the solution is quite good and works quite well for us. I don't know if there are features that need improvement.

Occasionally configurations can be a bit tricky.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

The stability of the solution is very good. We've never had a crash and it's never frozen. I don't recall experiencing bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We only have about ten people in our company using the solution.

We do plan to increase usage in the future. If we bring on more people, they'll also use Windows 10.

We've never used technical support do to the fact that we've never had issues. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of service. So far, the solution itself is working well. We've been satisfied.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The implementation is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

The deployment took maybe ten minutes.

You only need one admin person. There isn't much maintenance required.

There aren't additional costs over and above the licensing. The pricing is pretty straightforward. The pricing is in US dollar, however, I'm unsure as to what the full cost is.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the company. We're just a customer.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's a great product. We have no complaints as to how it's running and it's worked well for us so far. There really isn't anything missing.

AB
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has a user-friendly interface

• "The most valuable feature is how friendly the interface is. I expect that we will soon go up to Windows 11 because it's already available."
  • "Windows 10 could be improved by implementing synchronization between Teams and Skype for Business. If you're in a conference call in one tool, the other tool shows that you're available. This means that you get calls from other people in your organization while you are unavailable. So synchronization is missing, that's all."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for daily office work. I use the full Microsoft 365 suite with Outlook, PowerPoint, all those tools. We have fully implemented Microsoft and don't use any third-party applications. Outlook is the main mail application, Teams and Lync are for communication, Word and PowerPoint are for editing, preparing documents, and presentation.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Windows 10 for a few years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I have never contacted technical support. If I have a problem, I contact my IT department and they are the ones who contact Microsoft, but they know how to solve most problems.

The installation was very easy. I received a link from our IT department, clicked the link, and within a few minutes everything was up and running. You can do it yourself.

I implemented myself.

I'm unsure of cost or licensing because our IT department handles that.

What other advice do I have?

Even though Microsoft won't need my recommendation because Windows is such a popular tool, I recommend this to anyone who is looking into implementing this solution.

There are about 500 people in my organization using this solution. There is no team necessary for deployment and you spend almost no time on maintenance compared to the duration of time that you are using Windows. It's very simple.

I would rate Windows 10 a ten out of ten. It's a perfect tool and the cost is very reasonable.