Windows Server AppFabric OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Windows Server AppFabric is the #17 ranked solution in our list of top Application Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to IIS: Windows Server AppFabric vs IIS

What is Windows Server AppFabric?
Windows Server AppFabric extends Windows Server to provide enhanced hosting, management, and caching capabilities for Web applications and middle-tier services. The AppFabric hosting features add service management extensions to Internet Information Services (IIS), Windows Process Activation Service (WAS), and the .NET Framework 4. This includes Hosting Services and Hosting Administration tools that make it easier to deploy, configure, and manage Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) based services. The AppFabric caching features add a distributed, in-memory object cache to Windows Server that makes it easier to scale out high-performance .NET applications, especially ASP.NET applications.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Windows Server AppFabric Customers
OSIsoft
Windows Server AppFabric Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Windows Server AppFabric pricing:
  • "It is expensive, and its licensing is a bit confusing."

Windows Server AppFabric Reviews

Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Very usable, easy to understand, and stable

• "It is very usable and easy to understand. Antivirus and VPN are the main features being used now. It allows my clients to access the network from home, which was very crucial because of the pandemic."
  • "Its price and licensing policy can be improved. It could be a little cheaper. Licensing is sometimes confusing. There are so many different options. It is difficult to find out what to buy or what to choose for my necessity."

What is our primary use case?

The companies that I work for have on-premises networks of 5 to 50 workstations. I manage them and teach others how to use and avoid security issues. I am using versions 2012, 2016, and 2019.

What is most valuable?

It is very usable and easy to understand. Antivirus and VPN are the main features being used now. It allows my clients to access the network from home, which was very crucial because of the pandemic.

What needs improvement?

Its price and licensing policy can be improved. It could be a little cheaper.

Licensing is sometimes confusing. There are so many different options. It is difficult to find out what to buy or what to choose for my necessity.

I have been working with this solution for 35 years.

It is good. We had no problems with it.

Scalability is generally good. My clients are small businesses. They are using it daily and very extensively.

I didn't need much support, but whenever I used them, they were good. It worked out well.

We didn't use their manuals much because most of the things are straightforward. We can find information anywhere in the online community.

I have been using it from the start.

Everything is straightforward.

It is expensive, and its licensing is a bit confusing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Windows Server AppFabric an eight out of ten.

JK
Software Development Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Straightforward to set up, and the hosting capability works well

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use AppFabric for the hosting of workflows.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is AppFabric's hosting solution, which is what we need for running workflows.

What needs improvement?

This product is being deprecated, so there is nothing new being added to it or improved. It's not going anywhere. Microsoft will stop supporting the product next year, and we can't run unsupported programs in our systems.

I have been working with Windows Server AppFabric for approximately 10 years.

There are definitely some tricks that you have to learn from a scalability perspective, but we've had good results with it. The workflows we're…

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use AppFabric for the hosting of workflows.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Windows Server AppFabric for approximately 10 years.

The workflows we're running are operational and the users are the primary targets. It is just a small number of users but they're dealing with critical workflows.

I have not been in contact with technical support for this product.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We deployed it in-house. The length of time for deployment was a couple of hours, per environment.

My impression is that our ROI has been good.

What other advice do I have?

This product works great for us and it's unfortunate that they're not going to support it anymore.

Product Categories
Application Infrastructure
Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, InterSystems, F5, and more!