Muhammed Eslami
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User-friendly and stable with a straightforward setup

• "The solution is stable. The performance has been great over the years."
  • "It would be nice if the solution was a bit cheaper. The product is a little pricey."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution as a domain controller for user authentication and a DNS server.

What is most valuable?

We haven't had any issues so far. It works basically without any issues.

The solution is easy to use and very user-friendly. It's simple to navigate and to work with.

The solution is stable. The performance has been great over the years.

The product has the capability to scale.

The installation was very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I use the solution daily. I've used it over the last ten years or so. It's been a decade. I've been using it for a long time.

The solution is very stable. We upgraded from 2016 to 2019 versions and we didn't have any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable and the performance is good.

I have read about its scalability, however, our environment is not too big. Therefore, I don't have any experience with scaling the product directly. That said, I read that it's scalable. It's just that I haven't attempted to expand it myself.

We have about 50 users on the solution currently.

We do intend to increase usage in the future.

I can't speak to how technical support is. I'm not responsible for that server. I've not experienced any issues myself that would require me to call into support.

Before using the Windows Server, I did not use other operating systems for business products. We've always just used Windows and Microsoft Office-based systems.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It was quite straightforward and fairly simple.

The deployment is fast. It takes less than 20 minutes.

We also moved from 2016 to 2019 versions without any issues.

Maintenance does not require a large amount of staff. One person is responsible for the environment for the Window Servers. We have an IT administrator handling the duties.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of any consultants or integrators.

The solution does require a company to obtain a license.

We would like the licenses to be less expensive. Generally, the price is too high.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I would recommend this solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very pleased with its overall capabilities.

NL
Executive Personal Assistant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and can handle huge workloads

• "Overall, Windows Server 2016 provides a stable environment for some of the very large workloads that it is subjected to in our organization, and it is very easy to use."
  • "There are lots of improvements that can be brought by Microsoft, although for us Windows Server works mostly as expected. For how we're using Windows Server, security is a top priority, so when talking security, it can always be improved upon, no matter what."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Windows Server 2016 for our organization's backend applications which reside in a data center. HP provides us with our Windows platforms, and we also have Unix platforms from them as well.

We have been using Windows environments since I joined my organization, which is close to 20 years now. Currently, we're doing what you can call a hosted private cloud with colocation and we are running some huge workloads using Windows Server in this cloud.

From our side, the organization's 2800 end users are mostly running Windows 10 in a highly virtualized environment. So whenever we need more resources, it takes just a couple of minutes to get it up and running.

What needs improvement?

Then there's the performance side, which is not bad, but we are currently looking to increase capacity and we have found that we need to enhance the hardware to get the performance we are looking for. Because of this, we are going to be refreshing the hardware and moving to new infrastructure in the next few weeks.

I have been using Windows Server for many years now.

It is very stable.

We have enterprise support with them which I cannot personally comment on.

We are running a form of Windows Servers, from our side, which are highly virtualized. So from where we're sitting, to provision Windows Server takes just a couple of clicks and it is up and running.

For the backend systems where we implement Windows Server at the data center, the entire IT team is around 120 people. Then, from a user perspective, much of it is self-service, meaning users can request to provision as needed from the pool of virtualized resources.

Our current license is an enterprise license agreement which gives you a whole lot of possibility, especially when you go through an R&D process. For example, you can provision everything, spread the service use over six months, and then wrap it up. It gives you a lot of flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

Windows Server is a stable product and there's no way we will change it for something else.

I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PM
Senior IT Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and is constantly improving its functionality, including upgrades to security

• "Every time they perform a new release, the solution gets better and better."
  • "Right now what is needed on the server-side is an easier release process. Every year or every third year they are releasing a newer version and it could go smoother."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution mostly for the file server and communication and so on.

What is most valuable?

Every time they perform a new release, the solution gets better and better.

In the past year, Microsoft has done a lot of work around security. There have been a lot of improvements made in that respect.

Overall, the solution works well.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a few features here and there.

Although they've done a good job updating security, there's more to be done, and they should continue improving this aspect of the product.

We've been using the solution for what feels like forever. I can't recall a time we didn't actually use it.

The solution is reliable. I believe it to be stable. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect it. It doesn't seem to crash or freeze. It's good for the most part. I can't complain.

The solution is scalable. You can expand it if you need to, for the most part.

I don't have any experience with Microsoft's technical support. I wouldn't be able to speak to how effective they are at troubleshooting or solving issues. The solution works well, and we haven't had any issues, so there's been no reason to reach out. That probably speaks to how well the solution runs in general.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You just click through, and it's pretty easy.

That said, some setups seem to have some more complex configurations. Most of the time, things are pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We're using a standard out of the box deployment.

We always update the solution to the newest possible version. We update regularly.

I'd advise that new users learn about the solution before jumping in. It's always good to take a class or study up on it a bit so that you know what you can do with the server and how to navigate around in it. It's a good idea to take a certification course.

That said, users can always Google answers or use the Microsoft Flow tool.

I'd absolutely recommend the solution. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten overall. There's always room for improvement, of course. However, generally speaking, it hasn't given us any issues and does what we need it to do. There are always ways to improve security, stability, and scalability.

NK
Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible and user-friendly with a straightforward setup

• "We've found the solution to be very flexible."
  • "The solution could have better security features."

What is our primary use case?

We typically use the solution for hosting applications, which is more related to Visual Studio and other similar items.

What is most valuable?

The solution's usability is very good. It's very user friendly.

We've found the solution to be very flexible.

It's very useful for domain authentication and other tasks.

It's great for hosting all kinds of applications.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution could have better security features.

The pricing is a bit high. Linux has better pricing. They should try to make their product more competitively priced.

We've been using this solution for about a decade. It's been ten years, so it has been a while.

The solution is very stable and reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. It doesn't have bugs or glitches. The performance is good.

The solution can scale well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. There wouldn't be anything stopping them.

We have 20 or so people on the servers right now.

We do plan to continue using the product.

I've found the technical support from Microsoft to be quite good. We've been satisfied with the level of service provided to us so far. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten overall.

We found the initial setup to be pretty straightforward and simple. It's not complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The deployment is very quick and takes about five minutes in total.

In terms of the size of the team you need, it depends on the application. The bare-bones operating system only two to five minutes, or maybe two to 10 minutes. The deployment, with respect to software and other things, such as security checks, et cetera, it can take a while to get everything on there. It can take up to four hours.

We handle the implementation ourselves. We didn't need an implementor or a consultant to help us. It was all handled in-house.

We pay the license on a yearly basis.

It's a bit expensive if you were to compare it to Linux.

We're not currently evaluating other options at this time.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the solution. We're using N-1, one solution behind the most recent release.

We use multiple deployment models - both on-premises and cloud.

I'd rate the product eight out of ten at this point. Overall, we've been pretty happy with it.

MF
Manager
A trusted brand with a stable product and good reliability

• "Microsoft is a trusted brand and I enjoy working with it."
  • "The graphical user interface could be better. It's a little dated."

What is most valuable?

The product is stable. It's reliable.

Microsoft is a trusted brand and I enjoy working with it.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface could be better. It's a little dated.

I do not like Microsoft's intrusive policies.

We've used Windows Server for quite a long time. We've used it since around the 2012 version at least.

The stability of the product is relative. Certain services are better handled by the Microsoft system. For example, the active directory. Microsoft Hyper-V, we use in many, many cases. However, with Linux systems, we don't have the ability to use some features of these systems. For example, with the authentication server, we use the Windows Server in most cases. If we do that, it's stable.

We have 100 people, more or less, on the solution.

We have technical support. We pay in order to have access to them.

I'm also familiar with Linux, although I prefer Windows.

I wasn't a part of the initial setup. It was already in place when I arrived at the company.

I was not involved in the acquisition of the solution, so I do not have exact details about the pricing.

We do pay for technical support. We have that until December and then we will need to re-subscribe.

We are a public company, a government company, and, due to legislation, most of the time, we can't simply choose a vendor. If we need to acquire a contract solution, we make a technical study where the features are evaluated and the final specifications are always based on features, not on vendors, or manufacturers.

What other advice do I have?

We are service providers. We are implementers and sometimes we do the plans of the implementation.

We are a customer of Windows Server. Our company has an active contract for technical support as well.

We use the current version and past versions too in a hybrid environment.

The local infrastructure is hybrid in the sense of we maintain a large spectrum of systems. For example, legacy systems are on the same infrastructure as a Windows Server 2019, for example. Basically, legacy systems are on the same network as the most recent system.

I'm note of a Windows guy than a Linux guy. I like this product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Md Saiful Hyder
AGM, Enterprise Solutions at Omgea Exim Ltd
MSP
Easy to use and install but the performance needs to be improved

• "The installation process is great."
  • "There's a short availability that could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We work mostly on the banking organization segment. In banking organizations, they are using around 40% of Windows Servers. If there is any database they will be using MySQL. Including enterprise segments. 80% of people are using Windows Server and SQL or Exchange though, actually, now people are migrating to the cloud. Groups of companies, including enterprise pharmaceuticals, are mostly using Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is great.

The installation process is great.

What needs improvement?

We've had a lot of problems from day one.

The security could be better. One of the banks suffered ransomware attacks and they were able to penetrate the servers.

There's a short availability that could be much better.

The performance is not up to snuff. They need to work on increasing resources.

I've used the solution since the inception of our company, which has been about seven years.

The performance is not ideal. It could be a lot better.

We have around 200 clients and most of them are using Microsoft in one way or another.

Most of the time, we've noticed that customers can go and troubleshoot issues on their own. It seems rare to raise a ticket on Microsoft support. Due to the fact that it's so rare to need to raise issues, I can't really speak to having any direct experience dealing with them. That said, sometimes, if a patch is needed, they do need to go to Microsoft and get it.

The installation is very straightforward and it is not overly difficult or complex. With a certain level of experience, anyone can install and configure it. It's not a problem.

You likely just need one person to handle deployment and maintenance. You can handle this solution with a minimal number of technical staff.

The license is perpetual. Once you buy the server, you don't have to continue to renew the license itself.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is a popular and necessary addition to any company. Most companies can't run at all without Microsoft being used at some level.

If a customer has more than 100 workstations installed in Microsoft then I recommend them to use this sort of solution. If a customer is using .NET applications then by default the choice is Windows, however, if they are using Java or Oracle I recommend that they use Linux due in large part to the security.

MH
Responsable TUIC at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to configure and offers good pricing to educational institutions, but needs to be more stable

• "The solution is very easy to configure."
  • "The solution is not easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the domain controller.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped our company as it offers us a domain controller and the use of the domain service.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to configure.

The solution has a lot of features.

The pricing is good. They offer special pricing to educational institutions that is less than what a typical organization might pay.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not easy to use.

The solution could be more stable. It's an aspect they could improve on in future versions.

The solution could be more scalable and flexible.

The solution needs to offer better documentation and more training to its users. This would help customers better understand how to use the product effectively.

I've been using the solution since 2015. It's been just over five years now. It's been a while.

The solution does not offer very good stability. It's something they need to improve upon.

The solution is moderately flexible. I'd rate it at a 3 out of five. It could be better.

We have 100 users on the solution currently. We do have plans to increase the number of users to 200 in the future.

Technical support could be a bit better. they do have a lot of features and sometimes we need assistance with everything.

I have some experience with Linux, however, I find it a bit more difficult to implement.

The solution is not too difficult or complex to set up. It's easier to implement than other servers. For example, Linux is much more difficult.

The pricing, for us, is reasonable. We are an educational institution and therefore we get special rates. Therefore, our pricing isn't too bad. However, an enterprise version of the solution is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We are currently using the 2016 version and have plans to upgrade to the 2019 version.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's an okay product, however, there are many areas that could be improved.

CM
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Flexible with easy deployment and good technical support

• "We find the solution to be easy to use and simple to navigate."
  • "The solution could be more reasonably priced."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is very useful if the company doesn't want open storage, OS. In those cases, we usually recommend customers to use Microsoft services. Most of the time it's actually the client who gives us advice on what kind of OS they want to use and they will just ask for the quotation.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very flexible.

We find the solution to be easy to use and simple to navigate.

The stability is very good.

The security on the server has been great. It's much more secure than, for example, other open-source operating systems.

We find the solution very easy to install.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more reasonably priced.

We've been dealing with the solution for a couple of years at this point. It's been a while now. We've had some time with it.

The stability of the product is good. The product doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

There is no need to scale the solution. It's not the type of solution that really needs to scale.

I'm not sure the exact number of people using the solution. It's my understanding that it's over ten at this time.

Technical support is very fast when it comes to replying. They were able to solve any issues we raised with them. We're satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not complicated to set up. It's pretty simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The deployment process may take about 30 minutes or so, as long as you don't run into any errors.

You only need two technical people to manage the deployment process. You don't need a very big team.

The pricing could be a bit more competitive.

The solution offers a permanent license. You don't have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We are Windows Server consultants.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the product to other users and companies, especially those that don't want to use an open-source option.