GD
Lead Solutions Architect - International Projects at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, easy to install and best used for Microsoft applications

• "The solution is scalable."
  • "The solution is less stable than Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We have an asset management system from a vendor that requires Windows Server. That's where the old content of customers is being stored.

What is most valuable?

The solution is perfect for Microsoft applications.

The stability is okay.

The solution is scalable.

The installation process is easy.

What needs improvement?

I don't like it. However, I'm forced to use it, due to the applications, or the vendor supply, that need to run on it. Many of the applications only support Windows Server.

The solution is less stable than Linux.

We've used the solution for a while. We use it constantly.

The solution is pretty stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable. That said, Linux is even more reliable.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We also use Linux. We're 50% Linux, 50% Windows.

The installation process is very straightforward. It's very easy. It's not too complex. A company shouldn't have any problems handling the process.

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solution, including 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2019.

We're a service provider. I have colleagues who are MSP-certified. They are the consultants to our customers.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. it's okay. However, it's not my first choice. I find Linux, for example, more stable.

I would only recommend the solution to a user if they really needed to use it for specific applications. I would not advise it if you needed to install it. I'd only advise it if your application requires Windows. If that's the case, then, of course, you should use it.

OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Can be used to implement and configure Active Directory environments for organizations

• "Integration with other Microsoft solutions like Exchange and System Center Configuration Manager has the great ability to manage all of the different features on system support, like upgrading, securing, and troubleshooting different Windows systems for clients."
  • "Microsoft needs to expand to integrate the Windows Server with Azure and Linux distribution to provide a simple container environment for running dockerized applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to implement and configure Active Directory environments for organizations. Projects can be related to running WS systems as well as implementing and performing System Center Configuration Manager, assisting the OM, Operation Manager, and monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The biggest and the most important services used in most of the organizations in the world is the Active Directory. The policy management feature is a great option for managing different policies in the domain environment.

Also, integration with other Microsoft solutions like Exchange and System Center Configuration Manager has the great ability to manage all of the different features on system support, like upgrading, securing, and troubleshooting different Windows systems for clients.

What needs improvement?

I think integration with Linux operating systems would be a great idea, as well as focusing on the simplicity of running containers in the Linux environments. I think this would be a requirement for the next generation of applications running in .NET and Microsoft programming languages.

Microsoft should expand to integrate the Windows Server with Azure and Linux distribution to provide a simple container environment for running dockerized applications.

I've been using it for around 10 years.

It is scalable. We currently have around 30 engineers using the Windows Server, but we hope to increase this number.

The initial setup is very simple.

I implemented it myself.

One of the problems with Microsoft is the price of licensing, and volume licensing for educational systems is a great option to bequeath licensing for small businesses.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at nine.

For authentication and identity management, without a doubt, I would suggest using the Active Directory with Microsoft Windows Servers.

Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OL
Technical and Project Manager Industrial Directorate EES CLEMESSY at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, stable, good online support, and easy to maintain

• "It's important to us that it is easy to use and has easy maintenance because we don't have specialists"
  • "The initial setup could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We have many brands that we use here in our firm. As an example, we use Dell for our Laptops, we use Lenovo, we use IBM for our computers, Cisco for our switches, and Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

It's important to us that it is easy to use and has easy maintenance because we don't have specialists. It is necessary for us to have very simple maintenance procedures.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

We have been using Windows Server for more than two years, maybe five or more.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues with stability.

We have 200 users in our organization who are using Windows Server.

We have plans to keep using this solution.

We have not contacted technical support.

I only use the support online.

We use Windows Server, and Windows 10 for our laptops and PCs.

The initial setup depends on the preparation of the units.

If it is prepared by a specialist then the installation is easy.

We have to make sure that it has been configured properly.

We have a team of 20 for the deployment and maintenance of this solution.

It is important to have the cheapest price for all of the material and licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We have so many customers with Windows Servers that we are obliged to use the same technical path.

We don't have any significant issues with Windows. I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
KC
CEO South East Asia at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, quick to deploy, and fairly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for many purposes, the Active Directory, SQL, web server, and many other features.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very scalable.  The installation process is very straightforward.  Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The stability needs to be improved. I don't find it to be very stable. It's something they need to work on.

I've used the solution for many years at this point. it's been so long I've lost track of the exact amount of time, however, it's been a while.

The solution isn't as stable as it could be.

The product scales very well.…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution is very scalable.

The installation process is very straightforward.

Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't as stable as it could be.

The product scales very well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have about 2,000 users on the solution at this time. I can't speak to if we have plans to increase usage or not.

I am satisfied with technical support so far. They've been helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's straightforward and pretty easy to execute.

The deployment is fast. It only takes us about 50 minutes to get everything up and running.

I handled the installation by myself. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant. It's a pretty simple process.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are not on the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. For the most part, we have been happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

AL
GM: Information Systems at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
User friendly and compatible with other solutions

• "The features that I have found most valuable are its ease of use and the compatibility with most other products."
  • "I would definitely like to see bolting monitoring tools. To monitor the server you usually have to install third party tools. I would like to be less reliant on third-party tools. They always create some sort of security issue regarding ports that need to be opened, that type of thing. Windows Server has internally monitorable software but remote monitoring software would be a great add-on."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Windows Server on virtual machines running off-premise.

This operating system for business can be useful for personal documents or any daily or routine stuff.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its ease of use and the compatibility with most other products.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely like to see bolting monitoring tools. To monitor the server you usually have to install third party tools. I would like to be less reliant on third-party tools. They always create some sort of security issue regarding ports that need to be opened, that type of thing. Windows Server has internally monitorable software but remote monitoring software would be a great add-on.

In the next version I would like to see monitoring tools or maybe an easier way to figure out who were the last people that were working on the server, something that gives me better insights into the actions taken by different users who need to access the server. Our server is definitely not for everybody to access, but even if it had logging installed or activated, it's quite difficult to figure out who did what.

I have been using Windows Server for a couple of years.

It is a stable solution.

Windows Server is definitely scalable.

We have 200 users using it in the network.

I was not part of the initial setup, I'm not part of the technical team. But I know from the people who did install it that it was quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would give Windows Server a nine.

I would recommend Windows Server for users who want to start using it.

SM
Global Head ICT (CITP & MIE) at The Aga Khan Academies
Good performance, easy to use, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for all of our on-premise application servers. The latest version is Windows Server 2019, but we are using Windows Server 2016. We haven't felt the need to upgrade it.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and its performance is good.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to virtualization, VMware is a bit more advanced in terms of security. Hyper-V does provide facilities, but it probably has to do a bit more work in terms of encryption. People will normally go for VMware because of the features that it has as a server, particularly the virtualization feature.

I have been using this solution since 2012.

It is stable. …

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and its performance is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution since 2012.

It is stable.

It is scalable. In terms of its usage, the license that we currently have is good enough for us. We will increase its usage, but we don't need to purchase anything in the foreseeable future. We have enough.

We are also doing a PoC for moving the server that we have at each location to the cloud. After that is done, we will look at the cost and think about migrating to the cloud.

Its initial setup is very straightforward. The duration depends on how big the installation is in terms of the database and the domain you want to use. It can vary from about an hour to a couple of hours with updates, etc. It could be anywhere from 60 minutes to 3 hours.

All of our people are adept at handling its installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Mazen Kassem
Senior Digital Services Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly with good scalability and offers multiple deployment methods

• "The solution is very user-friendly."
  • "The solution needs more integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

The product is primarily used for applications, data storage, and communications. We also use it for the directory.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly.

The scalability is very good.

You can deploy the solution either on the cloud or on-premises.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs more integration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. I've used it for a long time.

The scalability of the solution is good. It's not a problem to expand it.

Likely the entire company is using the solution, however, I cannot speak to exact numbers that are on the solution right now.

I've never been in touch with technical support in the past. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We did not previously use a different operating system.

I wasn't a part of the installation process. I can't speak to how straightforward or complex it was.

We have 12 to 15 team members that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks. There are a manager, an admin, and engineers.

I don't handle the licensing costs. I don't have any visibility as to how much the company pays for licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We use multiple deployment models, including on-premises and cloud.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend using the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

TR
Control Systems Supervisor with 201-500 employees
Stable, reliable, and is able to run many applications

• "The only thing that is extremely valuable about the solution is that most applications run on it. That's where it brings the value in as we have the server to run our applications."
  • "There's always room for improvement. However, I'm not in the main IT department, and therefore, I'm not as close to the product as others on my team."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as our general operating system.

What is most valuable?

The only thing that is extremely valuable about the solution is that most applications run on it. That's where it brings the value in as we have the server to run our applications.

The product is stable.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any improvements off the top of my head.

The company has used the solution for quite a while. They were using it well before I arrived at the organization.

The solution seems to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

To my knowledge, we have not dealt directly with Microsoft support. We haven't really had a need.

For the most part, we didn't do the initial setup on it. We either buy the product with Microsoft already installed or the system integrator will install it.

We have systems administrators that can maintain the solution. We have a few people on our team that can handle any tasks.

Occasionally, we have a systems integrator that assists in the installation or it comes pre-installed.

I don't deal with pricing or licensing. I can't speak to how much the licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We've been overall very pleased with the product.