Wireshark OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Wireshark is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Network Troubleshooting tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: Wireshark vs SolarWinds NPM

What is Wireshark?
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer.

Download the Network Troubleshooting Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Wireshark Customers
Comversion, ADP, Talbots

Archived Wireshark Reviews (more than two years old)

Yafes Duygulutuna
Sr. Security Engineer at SugarCRM
Helps me solve network transaction and security issues

• "I can save the traffic and analysis when I want to. Also, it's especially helpful to follow the stream (TCP, UDP, etc.)."
  • "Setup is very easy. It's also possible to change source code and compile if you want to change something in the code, because it's free."
  • "It needs the ability to follow multiple interfaces for specific traffic from different network zones/virtual networks. It would help to understand how any packet is going through the network."
  • "Sometimes I need to use tcpdump when I need to check the packets on CLI."

How has it helped my organization?

It has help me to

• solve network and transaction issues
  • understand protocols and application communication
  • check quality
  • solve security issues.

More than five years.

Sometimes, in the previous version, it lost the scroll when I needed to scroll back and forth.

No issues with scalability.

Sometimes I need to use tcpdump when I need to check the packets on CLI.

Very easy. It's also possible to change source code and compile if you want to change something in the code, because it's free.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

I believe everyone should use this tool if they need to analyze packets.

Network Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is free to download and install, and it runs on multiple platforms

• "It gives us the ability to pinpoint problems and to communicate network problems with software and hardware vendors."
  • "Big trace files (more than 1,000,000 packets) can be slow, but then you can use "TraceWrangler" (also free) to help with slicing and dicing the data."
  • "It is not an easy program. You will need to study to use it to its full capabilities (follow a course)."

What is our primary use case?

Wireshark can be used to troubleshoot network issues, but also to baseline applications. When you know what an app does when there is no issue at hand, you will be better able to spot the problem when there is an issue. Everything that happens on the network can be analysed with Wireshark. However, the tool is as good as the person using it. You need TCP/IP knowledge to be able to use a tool like this. The more you know about packets on the wire, the better you can use this tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the ability to pinpoint problems and to communicate network problems with software and hardware vendors. The packets never lie!

What is most valuable?

Making different profiles to tune the tool for the problems at hand, the graphing options, to customize the screen layout, etc.

Also, shines for wireless troubleshooting, but most hardware does not give full insight in WiFi communication (beacon frames, etc.).

What needs improvement?

This is no complaint, but is not an easy program. You will need to study to use it to its full capabilities (follow a course), but the more you know about it, the more you will use it.

More than five years.

No issues.

Big trace files need to be chopped for analysis.

My bug reports were in the next release, therefore a great experience.

I have used it more or less since 2001. So no, I did not use a previous solution.

Download, run setup, enter;enter;enter..., it is ready.

In-house.

It is free to download and install. It runs on multiple platforms, so how can you go wrong?

In those days, there was a tool "Sniffer", but it was too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If you profile yourself as a network specialist, and don't use it, I would not trust you on my network.

It is even referenced in the book "TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 1", the TCP/IP bible!

Find out what your peers are saying about Wireshark, Colasoft, Viavi Solutions and others in Network Troubleshooting. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Drill-down for packet analysis is great, gives insight into what is going on at packet level

• "The drill-down available for packet analysis is great. It gives a network security engineer insight into what is going on at the packet level and enables better troubleshooting."
  • "The Wireshark search function shows green for a correct search and red for an incorrect search. If there were a way to provide a description about what a search - and the similar ones which are available - can do, while a person is typing it, it would make the product easier to use and simultaneously decrease the learning curve."

How has it helped my organization?

The people to whom I have introduced this product have found it a great tool to analyze packets. Instead of troubleshooting by trial and error, they have a way to investigate, verify, and then apply a solution. Of course, to derive value from the product, you must know its features.

Three to five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

I have not used technical support.

I used Microsoft's Network Monitor, but with due respect to Microsoft, I prefer Wireshark.

Straightforward.

ArcSight Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Parses large packet capture files without opening them, returns relevant information

• "Packet-capture files can be hard to use due to their size. Wireshark has a tool called tshark that can parse the files with out opening them so that you can take large captures, say 2-10GB, and return only relevant information."
  • "The product is great but I wish there were more of an emphasis on the command line tools."

What is our primary use case?

It is utilized for forensic work, with full packet capture.

What is most valuable?

Packet analysis and filtering. Packet-capture files can be hard to use due to their size. Wireshark has a tool called tshark that can parse the files without opening them so that you can take large captures, say 2-10GB, and return only relevant information.

What needs improvement?

The UI redesign threw me for a loop but I have learned to overcome it. The product is great but I wish there were more of an emphasis on the command line tools.

Three to five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Just install the software and the WinPcap software.

It's a standalone tool. If there is a commercial license for it I am unaware of it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are comfortable installing the WinPcap driver for packet collection. This tool could be used maliciously to capture data on your network.

Infrastructure Connectivity Engineer at Reputable Service Company
Regardless of network size, it provides intelligence about any type of data packets, especially during a security attack, although buffer size of captured data should be unlimited and archived.

Valuable Features:

Some valuable features of Wireshark are deep packet inspections based on the capturing process with it's sniffing capabilities.

Improvements to My Organization:

In order to be more intelligent about all the bits/frames/packets/data traversing your network regardless of how small or large the network is, Wireshark is a network analytic tool which provides such an intelligent information in a network.

Wireshark is that intelligent, not only for production environment alone but also aids study about the packet fields that may exist in any type of packet header of data flowing in your network.To view how all the classes of QoS marking in a packet are and can be used to also sniff packets during reconnaissance phase of a network security attack.

Wireshark provides better understanding on how the bits are set for different fields in a packet header.

It is indeed a very good tool which all network administrators need to be familiar with.

Room for Improvement:

Maximum buffer size of captured data should be unlimited and should allow ability to archive all old captures (not save option) in real time, it should support a destination location where old captures can be directed for long term storage.

Senior Manager of Engineering at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good open source & free packet analyzer. Versatile tool that helps enigneers analyze & troubleshooot networks issues.

What is most valuable?

The packet details pane.

How has it helped my organization?

Use daily for packet analysis.

What needs improvement?

Bigger memory footprint.

7 years.

I blame the PC OS.

Open source so feedback to forum.

Nope.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

What is most valuable?

The packet details pane.

How has it helped my organization?

Use daily for packet analysis.

What needs improvement?

Bigger memory footprint.

7 years.

I blame the PC OS.

Open source so feedback to forum.

Nope.

Free.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Best general purpose tool for trouble shooting anything on the network.

Valuable Features:

-One of the best products that can provide the details of what is happening with an application and the full life cycle of the response time. - Using Multiple trace files can allow you to create really big trace samples. Thus not a problem to let it run for awhile to gather that hard to catch 'problem'

Room for Improvement:

Not always simple to setup and get the filtering right when capturing data. The TCPDUMP pre filter is a bit hard to get use to when you are used to using the post filter. It will help when they have the same filter for both. Of course I'm assuming that the Post filter will be the filter of choice and translate the Post Filter into what needs to be done for the Pre Filter. I use the export to CSV and also the Print Full trace to a file features to do post analysis that would otherwise be impossible to do any other way than using WireShark. An example is watching MQ Traffic through a MQ Broker. Using the MQ Token, I'm able to combine the send / receive responses together to see the final response time and also where the packets are sent/received. This has helped with the SOA analysis when you have traffic going to a MQ Broker to be sent to other servers for responses. 4 packet sets are involved when this is done. 1 Request in to the Broker, 1 Response out from the Broker to a Responder, then a response from the Responder to the Broker again, and the final response from the Broker back to the original Requestor. All of that chatter needs to be captured and seen for the full response time analysis. Using the Packet Print, I'm able to dig into the header of the MQ packet and find that information for post assembly of information into a CSV file. Using Perl, I'm able to read these files in automation and create CSV files for use in Excel to then provide the packet numbers to use again in the Post Filter process of WireShark to look at further details. This is complex, but so are the actual interactions that are taking place. This work would be impossible with out a tool like Wireshark that provides the insight and decoding of the MQ headers of the packets. This brings out the Tokens and response Tokens of the packets for analysis. The other SOA and complex Websphere interaction tools are getting better at presenting this information, but there are still times where the developors have created something that the other tools have not tackled yet. Then WireShark is the only way to really drill into those interactions.

Other Advice:

Wireshark continues to be updated and is still an alive application. Continue to explore this product.
it_user3420
Owner with 51-200 employees
The best thing about Wireshark is the community/ecosystem....

Valuable Features:

The best thing about Wireshark is the community/ecosystem. Answers are easy to find in either the documentation or on the wiki. Packet analysis is not for the weak at heart, but Wireshark makes it as painless as possible with profiles, extensive decodes (dissectors), expert system and filtering capability. I use it everyday.Best features to get started with: Network Monitoring with Statistics>Endpoints - Who is talking? Network Monitoring with Statistics>Conversations - Who is talking to who? Application Monitoring with Statistics>Service Response Time - How fast did they get an Application layer response? Visualization with Statistics>IO Graph - Can I see it all in a pretty picture?

Room for Improvement:

It is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of data you are looking at. But that is true with any analysis tool. The best approach is to focus on a single process that interests you, follow its stream and walk through the packets until you understand what is happening. Then move on to learn the next thing. How do you eat an elephant? One "byte" at a time.
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
My Favorite Wireshark Filters
Wireshark is hands down one of the best analysis tools on the planet. It is intuitive, simple to use, and gives the depth needed to find problems in today's network and application environments. Sometimes it can be tough to remember some of the filtering commands though, so here is a list of some of my favorites: 1. !(ip.addr==10.0.0.1) [displays everything except IP traffic to or from 10.0.0.1] 2. ip.addr==10.0.0.1 && ip.addr==10.0.0.2 [sets a conversation filter between the two defined IP addresses] 3. http or dns [sets a filter to display all http and dns] 4. tcp.port==4000 [sets a filter for any TCP packet with 4000 as a source or dest port] 5. tcp.flags.reset==1 [displays all TCP resets] 6. http.request [displays all HTTP GET requests] 7. tcp contains traffic [displays…

3. http or dns [sets a filter to display all http and dns]
    5. tcp.flags.reset==1 [displays all TCP resets]
    6. http.request [displays all HTTP GET requests]
    7. tcp contains traffic [displays all TCP packets that contain the word ‘traffic’. Excellent when searching on a specific string or user ID]
    8. !(arp or icmp or dns) [masks out arp, icmp, dns, or whatever other protocols may be background noise. Allowing you to focus on the traffic of interest]
    9. udp contains 2069999999 [sets a filter for the number string, great when trying to locate a specific caller ID in a VoIP capture]
    10. tcp.analysis.retransmission [displays all retransmissions in the trace. Helps when tracking down slow application performance and packet loss]
Troubleshooting IIS Connection Issues
I really get excited when I am able to reproduce problems in the lab. With this specific case, the customer was experiencing errors within their web browsers that looked like either a network or server issue. The specific symptom was that certain images would not display. If you waited a while, and ‘refreshed’ the page, more of it loaded or the entire page loaded properly. I’m sure you can imagine the chaos this type of intermittent problem causes. The sequence of events unfolds in the following manner; the client reports the webpage issue to the help desk and the help desk tests the webpage with mixed results. In either event, the problem goes to the server group who tests and finds nothing wrong, and then the problem goes to the network group which, in most cases, does not see the…

I really get excited when I am able to reproduce problems in the lab.

I’m sure you can imagine the chaos this type of intermittent problem causes. The sequence of events unfolds in the following manner; the client reports the webpage issue to the help desk and the help desk tests the webpage with mixed results. In either event, the problem goes to the server group who tests and finds nothing wrong, and then the problem goes to the network group which, in most cases, does not see the problem. Then the political fist fights, finger pointing and witch hunt commence…..

In this case, they even managed to capture some packets during the problem and saw a HTTP “Service Unavailable” message and were having issues interpreting exactly what that would mean. I was there doing some other work when they dumped, uh, I mean asked me if I could help.

They explained that when the problem was occurring, the network management system was not reporting that the server or application was down. I asked how they knew that and they said that they pinged the server, tested for tcp port 80 and lastly retrieved the html page. Wow, I was impressed. I don’t see too many people monitoring from the IP layer up to the Application layer.

I then told them that even though this was an excellent way of monitoring, I wasn’t too surprised that no outages were recorded. If it was an application issue, the pings will still work as well the TCP port check. If all you did was retrieve a single html file, it would not use the same number of connections as actually loading a page and rendering images, etc…

That’s when the lab work came in. I went to my lab and configured IIS to only accept 1 connection, created a simple html file which had a few images on it. After the first try I saw the exact same issue the client experienced as well as the same HTTP message in the analyzer. AWESOME!!!

In the video below you will see how I did it and the results.

Enjoy

Troubleshooting FTP Errors With Wireshark
The most daunting problem to troubleshoot is when the application spits out a generic error that could mean anything. Here’s the analogy; how helpful is the ‘Check Engine’ light on your car dashboard. The worst part is when the customer tries to take the cryptic, generic application error message and tries to make sense of it in an attempt to assist the analyst. Don’t get me wrong, any information is helpful while troubleshooting, but you have to be selective in what you pursue. In this example FTP works one moment and fails the next. Of course the customer immediately called the help desk, who pings the ftp server and comments that is up and no outages have been recorded by the network management system. Then the ticket goes to the server dept who ftp’s without an issue,…

In this example FTP works one moment and fails the next. Of course the customer immediately called the help desk, who pings the ftp server and comments that is up and no outages have been recorded by the network management system. Then the ticket goes to the server dept who ftp’s without an issue, unfortunately by now so can the customer. The server department says the connection error must be a ‘network thing’.

I captured some packets and have recreated what I found and how the application, Chrome in this example, failed to pass on the FTP server connection limit error. The only way I was able to get real meaningful data is from the wire.

This isn’t a Chrome ‘bash’ session since I have seen many applications not report what was on the wire or reinterpret what was reported by the server.
In summary, the ftp server ran out of connections or had a limit on the number of connections an IP address could have. The administrator was told about this and the FTP server configuration was adjusted to allow more connections.

Hunting For Devices With ARP's And Wireshark
It always gives me sense of satisfaction when I have a challenge and can leverage some knowledge to figure out. Today I was in the lab and was powering on two Cisco switches when I noticed that they weren’t labeled with their IP addresses. I’m not sure why I did not label them, but now I have to pay for it. For those of you who have not been in this situation before I will explain. My switches have a DB9 serial connection and of course good luck finding a computer with a serial port. So now I have to rummage through the box of wires to find the serial to USB adapter. I have had to buy a second one in 2 years since my original does not have a Windows 7 driver, but I digress. After I find the cable, I have to find the installation disk because last week I migrated to a new laptop….…

For those of you who have not been in this situation before I will explain. My switches have a DB9 serial connection and of course good luck finding a computer with a serial port. So now I have to rummage through the box of wires to find the serial to USB adapter. I have had to buy a second one in 2 years since my original does not have a Windows 7 driver, but I digress. After I find the cable, I have to find the installation disk because last week I migrated to a new laptop…. I’m sure you get the picture.

On to plan B. I know the switches have IP addresses since I hard code IP addresses on all of my switches.

Now here’s where a bit of knowledge comes in. I know that when a device powers up and either obtains an IP addresses via DHCP/BOOTP or statically has an IP assigned it will send out a specific ARP called a gratuitous ARP.

Perfect, now all I have to do is make sure the switch port is connected to my subnet, start any protocol analyzer (I chose Wireshark) and power up the switches.

In this video I show you how to find the Gratuitous ARP quickly, create a display filter and lastly, locate the 2 switches’ IP addresses.

Enjoy

Troubleshooting WiFi Issues with Wireshark
A customer called me and wanted some help troubleshooting some wireless problems. Their users have been reporting intermittent wireless performance issues and getting ‘dropped’. To top it all off, their WLAN controller has also been reporting ‘containment’ error messages that weren’t to descriptive or helpful. I showed up on site and did all the basic RF checks with my AirMagnet Spectrum XT to make sure there wasn’t an RF issue like an interferer or channel planning issues. Like I always say, “Start at Layer 1”. Then I moved up a layer using my Fluke Networks AirCheck and AirMagnet WiFi Analyzer. Everything looked pretty quiet and nothing jumped up at me, so I saved some trace files to review later. Then I thought I would take the trace file and open it with Wireshark since I have…

Then I thought I would take the trace file and open it with Wireshark since I have more experience with packet analysis than I do using the AirMagnet/AirCheck tools.

In this video I show you some of the filters I used, what they mean and what I found.

I always enjoy getting to the packet level since packets don’t lie, but would also like to spend more time with the other tools now that I know what issues are to see how, or what, they report.

In closing there are a few points I want to make sure aren’t lost throughout the video;

1. Just because I used Wireshark to find some clues does not mean that the other tools were less effective, I just have more experience with protocol analysis/Wireshark.

2. If you deploy any kind of wireless intrusion system, make sure you don’t just turn it on without proper network due diligence.

it_user5700
Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent packet analyzer tool. Easy to use.
Excellent packet analyzer tool. I have used this a lot and had very good luck with it, it is pretty easy to use and can provide a lot of information and insight when troubleshooting network issues.

it_user4896
VP of Network/Comms/Infra at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
When you need to get down into the weeds to solve thorny network issues everyone has access to it.

Valuable Features:

It is free, easy to use, getting better with every release.

Room for Improvement:

Can be difficult for non "packet heads" to understand

Other Advice:

Put in a just a bit of time with Laura Chappell's great resource - Wireshark 101 and one will be well on their way to becoming a packet head geek. The payback for the time spent is many times the cost of the book.

Valuable Features:

It is free, easy to use, getting better with every release.

Room for Improvement:

Can be difficult for non "packet heads" to understand

Multitrace Analysis - Start at layer 1 and work yourself up
NAT Packet Analysis Using Wireshark One of the most popular questions I get when people get the hang of protocol analysis is the daunting exercise of multitrace analysis. As with anything else the best advice is to start with the basics before tackling anything complicated. Multitrace analysis is only effective if you truly understand your vendors products, networking and how it relates to the OSI model or packet analysis. I always suggest that you start at layer 1 and work yourself up. The key is to know what fields in the frame or packet changes, or remains the same. Ideally when you figure this out you can use a better capture or display filter A multitrace capture of a hub, switched, or bridged network is most straight forward since a hub or switch is transparent at layer 1 or…

NAT Packet Analysis Using Wireshark

A multitrace capture of a hub, switched, or bridged network is most straight forward since a hub or switch is transparent at layer 1 or 2 and doesn’t change anything in the packet.

When you move up to layer 3 or routing, several things change in the packet such as MAC address, IP TTL and TOS. Of course your mileage will vary, and any device could be configured to muck with more bits in the packet, but I figure I would give you a point of reference.

At layer 4 we get into application gateways, proxy, firewalls and NAT type devices where the following packet fields gets modified; MAC address, IP address, IP TOS, TCP/UDP port numbers, TCP ACK/SEQ values, etc.

Lastly at layer 7, we are dealing with multi-tiered applications and basically everything changes in the packet.

In this video example I do a multitrace analysis of a simple netgear router/NAT/firewall device where I take a trace from the WAN and LAN side to compare. Not to sound like a broken record, but please remember that your devices might behave totally differently and these notes and techniques should only be used as a reference in your environment.

Network Engineer with 51-200 employees
Multitrace analysis: rewarding and frustrating
Multitrace analysis can be the most interesting, rewarding and unfortunately, most frustrating exercise an analyst will face. Before we get to the packet analysis, setting up your tools for simultaneous capturing can be a feat in itself. The time issue is the most critical when using 2 devices since the time is used to calculate the delay, jitter or latency. Some people are fine with syncing both devices to a common ntp server. Then there’s the “how the #!!$!@#!!” do I physically capture . This is where you have to be familiar with the problem, the network you are working on and what equipment is available to you. If you are lucky enough to be able to change the speed and duplex to 100 half duplex a good old hub fits the bill. Other than the mirror/span command, a tap is also very…

Then there’s the “how the #!!$!@#!!” do I physically capture . This is where you have to be familiar with the problem, the network you are working on and what equipment is available to you. If you are lucky enough to be able to change the speed and duplex to 100 half duplex a good old hub fits the bill. Other than the mirror/span command, a tap is also very helpful. Trust me every one of these suggestions comes with their own caveats. You may have to try different tools for different scenarios.

For example, if I am doing a simple pc bootup/login baseline, I am interested in things like total data transferred, which IP’s I am talking to, protocols used, errors, etc. In this case speed and duplex is not important and I can go with a hub. But if I was troubleshooting why something is taking too long, like a backup or replication, changing the speed and duplex would not be a good idea.

If you are lucky enough and can capture from one device, the time accuracy issue goes away and life does get a bit easier. But now you have 2 different captures in the same trace, Yikes!!!! Not to mention that different network interfaces have different latency or behaviors. I remember trying a usb to 10/100 ethernet adapter to capture packets and quickly realized that this adapter added 30 ms to every packet. Again, if I was troubleshooting latency, this won’t do.

Lastly, if you’re fortunate enough, you might even have an application that takes multiple trace files and calculates all sorts of stuff out for you (hmm.. next article?).

In this example I use Wireshark, my laptops WiFi and Ethernet ports to capture my packet traversing a residential home router. I show some tips and tricks along the way and hope this will help you out.

Network Engineer with 51-200 employees
Using protocol analysis to document a problem
Documenting a Problem With Wireshark I remember talking to a group about the ‘superman syndrome’ where the analyst wants to swoop in and save the day. I explained that like most forensic tasks, protocol analysis can be tedius, confusing and downright boring at times. Alright who wants to capture some packets now!? If you can’t see it, you can’t fix it. That is why I like to use protocol analysis to minimally document the problem that I’m experiencing. Even if the packets don’t show any anomalies, that worth knowing as well, isn’t it? If you do see an anomaly, you might not have the solution but at least you know what it looks like when its broken. Ideally protocol analysis is most helpful when you have two traces to compare; the good and bad trace. In most realistic scenarios,…

Documenting a Problem With Wireshark

Ideally protocol analysis is most helpful when you have two traces to compare; the good and bad trace. In most realistic scenarios, the client will not have a good trace and just the current bad trace. I’m our classes I review how to make use of what you have.

In this example the customer had a DSL line with an issue and another DSL line what worked fine. The customer mentioned that whenever the DSL circuit ‘acted up’, they simply rebooted the modem. Both DSL circuits went to the same carrier, ordered at the same time, provisioned the same way and even use the same hardware. Perfect, example of something I can compare. I also noticed that these are not just modems, but they route, dhcp, firewall and NAT.

What I found, is that the problem circuit was having issues passing larger frames, while the other had no issues. After the reboot the problem circuit now behaves like the good one. Upon further investigsation I noticed the problem modem had older firmware and suggested they get that firmware updated.

So, even though I couldn’t ‘fix’ the problem, we know exactly what the problem is and what to look for if the problem returns.

Finding the Rogue DHCP server With Wireshark
I am surprised that this exercise we do in class still proves to be helpful as well as quite popular. There are many utilities out there to help find rogue servers, but why bother when you already have Wireshark installed. When you get comfortable with this exercise you can save some steps by creating a capture filter for just DHCP packets, or better yet, just DHCP server packets. As always with protocol analysis, there are many ways to do this exercise and this is just my preference since it forces me and the attendees to review the DHCP process as they go through the packets. Rogue DHCP servers are becoming more common these days since a DHCP server can simply be a part of an application loaded on your computer. The introduction of tablets and smart phones that can provide…

Rogue DHCP servers are becoming more common these days since a DHCP server can simply be a part of an application loaded on your computer. The introduction of tablets and smart phones that can provide hotspot support, are also DHCP servers. I even see more applications out there that turns your laptop into a WiFi hotspot so you can tether it to your tablet or smart phone.

Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten the classic example of an employee who wants wireless access in a nearby conference room and simply connects the LAN port of his wireless router at his desk and starts dishing out IP addresses.

I like the added twist where I ask people to identify the legitimate DHCP based on paying attention to the story, not the packets. I can’t tell you how many times I figure out a problem by going back to the user and having a conversation rather than going over the trace a million times.

I think people forget that Wireshark and protocol analysis is an exercise in forensics and you need a story for context and to make sense of the packets.

I have said many times that many times the answer comes from the story, not the packets.

Using Wireshark To See The Impact of Applets and Extensions On Your Network
While troubleshooting a Wifi performance issue on a large BYOD network, I was explaining to the customer a lot of people on a wireless network sending a lot of small packets can cause a performance issue by robbing precious time from other Wifi clients. They didn’t quite understand how this could happen since many users’ computers and phones are idle and just simply connected to the WiFi network. I illustrated the impact of having common applications installed on a smartphone/tablet as well as browser extensions or add-ons would have on a network by using Wireshark. The trickiest part of this exercise is actually capturing the Wireless packets. You can use Riverbed’s Airpcap adapter, or any other vendors WiFi packet capturing product. Just keep in mind that in many cases where you…

The trickiest part of this exercise is actually capturing the Wireless packets. You can use Riverbed’s Airpcap adapter, or any other vendors WiFi packet capturing product. Just keep in mind that in many cases where you have encryption enabled, its easier if you join that network to see the packets.

To this day I am surprised how many network analysts lack WiFi troubleshooting tools and either rely on their wired lan tools or strictly use the vendors monitoring applications as their sole source of information. I remember a few years ago I did a tools presentation for a vendor and asked the group how much confidence they would have in their auto mechanic if he only had one tool on the bench, or if he lacked specialty tools for your specific car’s make and model.

With Wireshark I was able to give them an ‘under the hood’ view of their network. You don’t need to have an extensive protocol analysis background to quickly realize that this is one busy network. As I have many times in the past, “Packets don’t Lie”.

On a wired network this is less of an issue since a wired network is more bandwidth bound. On a wireless network at home this isn’t an issue either since you aren’t sharing the wireless network with as many people.

In this case, the customer had over 200 people on an access point which cumulatively creates an issue.

In this video I use Wireshark to illustrate the traffic generated by these various applications.

it_user2979
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The must-have network analyzer.

Valuable Features:

This is the de-facto standard network protocol analysis tool. It's designed for network experts who need to do deep network packet analysis. Contains powerful filters and conversation views help to target relevant data. Open-source, multi-platform, and best of all, free.

Room for Improvement:

Good working knowledge of TCP/IP is needed to use this tool, including packet structure, headers, and ports. The volume of data on a typical TCP segment is so large that it can be challenging to capture and find the right data. Can't sniff wireless networks without additional hardware, e.g. wireless dongle.

Other Advice:

Somewhere out there, product managers are cursing Wireshark for providing such a great tool for free, when tools like this used to cost tens-of-thousands of dollars.
it_user1158
Developer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Best open source network packet analyzer in the market

Valuable Features:

- The best network analyzer tool out there in the market. - Being open source makes it highly sought after for both network admins and developers alike. - Supported on all major platforms like Windows, Linux and Macintosh. - You can easily analyze each and every packet captured from the network based on protocol types like TCP, IP, UDP, etc. - Captured packet list can be very easily exported to files. - Can be customized to suit your needs. - Very user friendly layout. - Supports filter creation for narrowing down packet selection.

Room for Improvement:

- Packet filter used in wireshark is quite cryptic and the syntax is quite different from the other command line packet analyzers, like tcpdump. - Requires admin privileges for running the packet capture utility. - You cannot change anything on the packet i.e. you can not modify anything in the packet, packet header, etc. You can only read them. - Requires basic knowledge of Networking to decipher the packet capture. -Cannot be used to diagnose any kind of network intrusions and hacking exploits.

Other Advice:

Having used Wireshark for more than 3 years, I'm glad to find this useful application. The GUI is very good and helps you decipher the packet header, packet content, etc. very easily. Although, adding packet filters requires a basic knowledge of network concepts. Supports exporting captured packets to a text file for offline viewing.
it_user1143
Network Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Wireshark is an outstanding tool that resolves network, security, and performance issues

Valuable Features:

Free and open source packet analyzer, which is extremely powerful and customizable.Captures real time data from a variety of network interfaces and types, and also displays data from previously captured files.Over 850 protocols are supported, including common protocols like IP and DHCP and also advanced protocols, like AppleTalk and IPX.The tool is compatible with all major operating system platforms including Windows, MAC, and Linux.GUI layout is user friendly and straightforward, which provides protocol-based color coding and comprehensive graphical representation of raw data.

Room for Improvement:

Built-in help system is not robust.Advance knowledge is required for protocol analysis.

Other Advice:

Wireshark is incredibly powerful, user-friendly, and a free tool, which is capable of live capture and offline analysis of traffic on any size network.
it_user1128
Infrastructure Expert at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Great Packet Sniffer

Valuable Features:

Wireshark is an open source development product so it doesn't cost anything and anyone can use it. It is easy to install and there is community support for different OS platforms. Wireshark is a great tool to help network engineers identify network problems like broadcasting, injection, poisoning, etc. You can see your network traffic protocol base on a GUI screen. It’s a real time monitoring tool for your network and is therefore very helpful for a network engineer when trying to identify a PC on a network that is causing a problem. You are able to capture network traffic and export it into different formats, and the same opposite import facility is also there.

Room for Improvement:

It’s helpful only if you have the basic knowledge of networking. You are required to have TCP/IP protocol suite knowledge and many other protocols as well.

Other Advice:

Wireshark is a complete protocol base network monitoring tool. It’s a real-time debugging protocol over your network. It also has import and export facilities to debug the traffic of your network.
it_user1125
Network Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
"Best Packet Analyzer, report generator, and troubleshooter."

Valuable Features:

• This software analyzes network packets in detail and displays a detailed view of the network packets, highlighting any malware and suspicious software • Users (network administrators) can easily identify and troubleshoot any network problems that are visible in the packet data • It works with a large number of protocols • The network packet analysis report is saved in multiple formats including XML, PS, TXT & CSV. • Network packets can be captured from various media types • When combined with GeoIP, you have the edge to capture traffic on a country basis • Open source tool that can be customized to user preferences • Protocol based color coding enabled • User-friendly layout • Supported with GUI interface

Room for Improvement:

• Wireshark does not allw you to make any changes relevant to the network. In other words, you can only observe the network.

Other Advice:

Wireshark is a dynamic software that has developed and adapted to the latest technology advancements and network challenges. It helps network administrators in conducting their packet analysis on a regular basis. Because of its detailed reports, Wireshark enables users to identify and troubleshoot network issues at a glance.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Best Packet Sniffing Tool out there

Valuable Features:

The biggest pro I can think of is that this excellent software is open source, meaning it's developed from a community driven perspective i.e. users have a voice and can develop and add features as they see fit.It supports a wide variety of platforms, has a GUI and CLI interface, and supports the a pcap variation on every one of its platforms.It's filter creation tool is top notch, letting you specify what traffic you want to see and how many packets you want to see.You can actually export packets to text files for later review if need be as well.

Room for Improvement:

As some of the other reviewers here have stated, one con is that this software is only an observer, not an interactive component of the network, meaning you cant change anything with it.It also lacks a few modules that other, closed source software's have, but I have no doubt that the community will come up with a solution soon for that issue! It's continuously being developed and changed.

Other Advice:

I've been using Wireshark for a long time, since back in the days when it was still called Ethereal. Since then, there has been no alternative for me for Packet Sniffing. Wireshark does exactly what I want and leaves me with no need to look elsewhere.
it_user1065
Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
Wireshark is the most reputed network protocol analyzer globally

Valuable Features:

Pros of Wireshark are 1) Open Source 2) Support on Windows, Linux, MAC, Solaris 3) Presence of both command shell and graphical user interface 4) Port Mirroring 5) Inbuilt support for WinPcap, libPcap 6) Filter creation for better packet capture techniques

Room for Improvement:

Few cons of Wireshark are 1) Running Wireshark through an admin account for multiple exploits, is unsecured 2) Cannot manipulate things on the network 3) Cannot be used for MIDM attacks 4) Lack of intrusion detection module 5) Lack of modules for ARP poisoning and caching

Other Advice:

Wireshark is the world's most powerful network protocol analyzer tool. It can be used for various purposes such as, analysis of protocols like TCP, HTTP, UDP, and complete analysis of networks and troubleshooting. It has the option to use the wireless adapter directly in promiscuous mode for interception of wireless packets. It is much more effective than other tools such as tcpdump and dumpcap with a good user interface and hex detection.
Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Wireshark is the best free network monitoring software.

Valuable Features:

Wireshark is an open-source network protocol used to monitor and analyze packets in a network.Wireshark analyzes networks, captures traffic and decrypts information passed through the communication channels into a form that is readable and can thus be used to learn how network protocols work.Wireshark also captures traffic that can help in troubleshooting network problems and it is free.

Room for Improvement:

Wireshark is also used for hacking which is a security breach. This can happen in wireless networks because they are not secure and most protocols of which are also not secure.Hackers use Wireshark to capture login details or information sent over networks. It is a free open source software that can be freely downloaded from the internet. Wireshark can be used on windows systems, Unix systems as well as Mac OS X systems and can also capture raw USB traffic.
Product Categories
Network Troubleshooting
Download our free Network Troubleshooting Report and find out what your peers are saying about Wireshark, Colasoft, Viavi Solutions, and more!