WordPress OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WordPress is #3 ranked solution in top Web Content Management tools. IT Central Station users give WordPress an average rating of 6 out of 10. WordPress is most commonly compared to SharePoint:WordPress vs SharePoint. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is WordPress?

WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress is installed on a web server, which either is part of an Internet hosting service or is a network host itself; the first case may be on a service like WordPress.com, for example, and the second case is a computer running the software package WordPress.org. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system.

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

WordPress Customers

TIBCO Software, Code for America, Crosswise, Essio Shower, AdLemons, Applied Geographics

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WordPress pricing:
  • "I paid to have a WordPress site for two years and didn't just have a free one."

WordPress Reviews

LR
Public Health Worker at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
Difficult to create content without spending a lot of time to learn it

• "I like how it integrates graphics and words, and more generally, the way people can develop the choices of spaces for different websites."
  • "I think that WordPress is too cool in its contact."

What is our primary use case?

My experience with WordPress is more in the world of the arts.

I think that people are almost using the public part of WordPress to push them through the task of creating things and disciplining themselves each day, as well as entertaining people or educating people or giving people pleasure through their poetry, art, writing, and whatever.

How has it helped my organization?

The way that WordPress is configured, they have it stripped down so much that the amount they put on for the week is of no use for all of the citizens and staff that we wanted to respond to. I don't know if that's because they're using WordPress, or instead, that they're going too much for a presence on the web, rather than seeing it as a business tool.

We talk about the citizens and staff being digitally illiterate, but it may be that we have digitally illiterate policymakers who don't realize fully how to use WordPress. They just see it as a way of having a presence on the web, rather than having every page help them to meet their outcomes.

What is most valuable?

I like how people are able to learn to tag.

It offers categories where you are able to search and go back.

I like how it gives the opportunity to have a discipline of input and discipline of letting people see how you're progressing and making things visible. The people that I follow on WordPress show their thinking and test it out.

It creates beautiful spaces and some people are just great, in terms of being creative.

What needs improvement?

I think that WordPress is too cool in its contact. If somebody works well in that medium then it would be really helpful for a community and for themselves. I don't know how to plug them into using it well. I don't know where someone goes from zero to having something up, and then incrementally learning how to do it.

I think it would be good if WordPress maybe had a place where people could go to and say, "Hi, I'm an artist. I like writing poetry related to my art. Is there anyone who uses WordPress for this?" or "Hi, I'm working in the health sector, and I'm working on change and transformation work. I would like to talk about it, has anyone else done that?", or "Hello, I'm writing a book. I would like to use WordPress as a way of making sure that I get three hours work done every day and write 300 words". I think that's what people are using WordPress for in these situations.

I have been working with WordPress for perhaps five years.

This platform is too small for us.

We don't do the setup. Rather, we are involved in populating it.

I paid to have a WordPress site for two years and didn't just have a free one. Unfortunately, the site was awful and I never made good use of spending all that money.

Originally, I thought that we would be using SharePoint for this work. However, WordPress is the product that was ultimately chosen. At first, I wondered if I was missing something, not knowing how WordPress can be used as a business tool. It doesn't have the same things as SharePoint.

What we really need is a platform that enables citizens and staff to self-manage their health. It needs to have a range of things that can be used to help people. For example, people should be able to find out about their health and keep information about it. It should be able to support them. I think of WordPress more as an artistic place, or where people journal. It's good for blogs and it's good for a whole lot of things, but not necessarily the type of things that we would have expected. That said, they have selected WordPress and are 100% on it.

I have been trying to use Mural, and it's overwhelming in terms of what they offer you. It's too much, especially if you're working on a pandemic and you are trying to learn a new tool.

What other advice do I have?

I'm one of these people that has not found a routine to use it, but I use it because I like to follow certain people. I learn by reading WordPress blogs. I appreciate the space and that we'd like to link to other people to use it, but I don't know how to do that. I feel it would be a good place for some people.

I work in the world of knowledge management and knowledge interaction. There are people who use WordPress that really create what they have to say and what they have to show, very well, and people like myself and others can go in. That creation of knowledge enables us to think about certain things or have discussions with other people.

Certainly, I'm not the only person that reads what is put up in WordPress. Therefore, if you end up with a group of people and eight of us read that blog, we have a common language, even if the person is in America or somewhere else. We can be involved in the seminar in Scotland, but because we all read that WordPress blog, we will have a common language and certain common concepts or ways of looking at something. That is knowledge into action and that is knowledge in the world taking things forward.

I've seen a seminar here of a guy who has a WordPress blog and he held a big international seminar with people from all over the world, hosted at one of our universities. He was also well-known for his books and there was a bookstall with his books and other books. This is a big four-day international event, and the person hosting it at the university wanted me to attend the three keynote speeches that opened every morning, and this guy did one of them. Since then, I've followed his blog. So, people are doing things like that.

My interest in that blog is how do you support very large organizations to change? Because, they're running huge systems, including hospitals. This is a very important thing and very important because of COVID-19. How does a children's hospital change how they run things when they're also having to look after ill children all the time? And that guy is about that. I follow all of his work in WordPress, as well as occasionally read his books, but it's much better to see his books as he's writing them. So, basically, he is sharing the eight chunks in a chapter on WordPress and sharing the illustrations. He's also a very good illustrator.

So sometimes you say, "Oh gosh, that's just great. I could use that as a slide when I'm talking about people doing things". He's a generous person because people, through WordPress, one can say one likes something, or one can go in and say, that completely makes sense to me, except that one bit.

As a consumer of WordPress, I would say it's been a good platform over the last five years for me. As a person who would like to use WordPress, but who hasn't been given enough time, I've not managed, so I'd rate it low. Without enough time on WordPress, it has not been a simple thing. I would like to use it as a creative space, where I was contributing.

As a person who has spent five years engaging in someone else's creativity and thoughts, I could rate WordPress and ten out of ten. This is because I've found some really good sites, and WordPress has facilitated that. However, when it is me wanting to be creative in WordPress, I have to rate it very low.

I do know that people can do well with it, and I have appreciated the people who use it. Some people use it with advertisements, so some people can use it for free. I like that they set up the possibility for people to do things.

I would rate this solution a one out of ten.

Moses Nandi
Teaching Assistant - Visual Communication in Marketing (Web and Interactive Design) at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Speeds up development but security is a problem

• "The themes are useful. They change the look and feel of a website with just one click."
  • "I would like to have the ability to customize the whole WordPress installation. WordPress comes with a number of core features. I would love to be able to remove those I'm not using at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

I make very simple WordPress websites for some of my clients. Previously, at my current post at the university, we created a more complicated project in WordPress. Each department had their own location to log in at and they could make their changes on there.

How has it helped my organization?

WordPress makes the whole process faster. For example, the web admin can give certain individuals credentials to edit the site directly. That saves time because the process does not rely on one person editing every single page of the website. It also improves workflow, as stakeholders do not have to wait on a single person and can instead do it themselves.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable WordPress feature is the content editing. Sometimes I have to build a website from scratch and finding the right content management system can be a hassle. But, with WordPress, the built-in editing capabilities make the process a bit easier.

Also, the themes are useful. They change the look and feel of a website with just one click.

I also like the available plugins. They can be so powerful.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the ability to customize the whole WordPress installation. WordPress comes with a number of core features. I would love to be able to remove those I'm not using at the moment because sometimes you just want to make a simple site or you know that you are going to be using very specific features. You may not not a lot of tabs or just want your clients to be able to see a very few tabs.

Security is a real problem. WordPress should work on improving their security so users do not have to worry about it. Hackers often tend to target WordPress.

I have been using WordPress one and off for about three years.

WordPress is stable. The only issue with it is security. That's the one thing that people always worry about because WordPress is a real target.

You can scale as much as you want with WordPress. The only issue you can run into is plugins not being compatible.

If you use WordPress, you would contact the company doing your hosting with any questions for tech support. I have used the tech support of my hosting company a few times and they were helpful.

No, I did not use a different solution before WordPress. Before WordPress, I was building websites from scratch in HTML without a content management system.

Setting up WordPress now is easy for me now because I have done it so many times. I think it is pretty straightforward. Installing WordPress takes five minutes at most.

WordPress itself is free, but of course you will need hosting. WordPress hosting is relatively cheap, unless you decide for dedicated hosting.

Yes, I am always looking for other content management system (CMS) options. Right now, I am looking at Prismic and specifically their workflow.

There are a lot of CMSs out there and I am always trying to see how the look and feel of what's available would best serve me and my customers.

What other advice do I have?

I would say start with something basic. Do not use a lot of plugins. Go with a maximum of three plugins.

Take some time to understand the system and how it works first. Then, you can start customizing, using more plugins, and adding page builders.

Find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, Microsoft, Plone and others in Web Content Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Christopher Joles
Disabled House Elf at Maine Music News
Easy to use with many different interfaces to chose from

• "We use WordPress on two different websites and it solves all of our website issues."
  • "I would recommend dumping the Gutenberg interface, as that is horrible."

What is our primary use case?

We use WordPress for both of our websites, www.mainemusicnews.com and www.jolesphotography.com.

WordPress has allowed us to maintain our own website at a reasonable cost, giving us the ability to reach people worldwide with our concert photography.

How has it helped my organization?

WordPress is hands down easy and intuitive to use. I have built many sites using WordPress and have always enjoyed the project. We use WordPress on two different websites and it solves all of our website issues. It also allows me to have multiple photographers geo-separated and still give them access to upload their own material.

What is most valuable?

The ability to upload photos and share them with people all around the world has really made my dream of photographing rockstars a reality. Prior to having WordPress, I had no ability to share my work and no credibility within the music industry. WordPress has opened many doors for me.

What needs improvement?

I would recommend dumping the Gutenberg interface and going back to the classic editor.  I understand the need for using BLOCKS to develop a page.  However, I would recommend taking a long hard look at Elementor and Elementor Pro as when it comes to developing a website, I have found using Elementor to be much more intuitive than using the Gutenberg interface.

More than ten years.

Stability is always a concern. Take your time performing updates when new x.00 releases come out.

I find it has met my needs rather nicely.

We used Squarespace previously, but it had issues with SEO, specifically with Google indexing tags.

There is no real setup cost if you do it yourself.

What other advice do I have?

Since it was released, I have been using the classic editor and it works and provides all of the necessary elements. However, I would recommend taking a look at Elementor and seeing how they are implementing the use of blocks in their page builder.

Product Categories
Web Content Management
Download our free Web Content Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, Microsoft, Plone, and more!