WordPress OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WordPress is #4 ranked solution in top Web Content Management tools. IT Central Station users give WordPress an average rating of 6 out of 10. WordPress is most commonly compared to SharePoint:WordPress vs SharePoint. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is WordPress?

WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress is installed on a web server, which either is part of an Internet hosting service or is a network host itself; the first case may be on a service like WordPress.com, for example, and the second case is a computer running the software package WordPress.org. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system.

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

WordPress Customers

TIBCO Software, Code for America, Crosswise, Essio Shower, AdLemons, Applied Geographics

Archived WordPress Reviews (more than two years old)

Christian García
Mobile application developer at Boarding Pass (Newsbp.co)
The most valuable feature is that it is easy to install and manage

What is our primary use case?

In my company, we are using WordPress for the development of our website since it is much easier to upload content and does not require expert programmers.

How has it helped my organization?

WordPress has greatly improved project delivery times as we also develop web pages for third parties. WordPress has shown us reliability, easy handling and has many themes that adapt to all kinds of situations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is easy to install and manage, there is also a lot of documentation and a large community of users that allow us to resolve any inconvenience that may arise during the development of the website.

What needs improvement?

WordPress is a tool that should not be missing in any systems department, which every web developer should dominate today. I would like them to increase security since they have been targeted by hackers and spammers.

More than five years.

It is very stable. Most hostings are optimized to work with WordPress, so there should be no problem with its use.

For me, it has been excellent since it has been constantly updated, and the number of plugins makes it very flexible.

It is simply excellent.

The installation could not have been simpler. On my Plesk server everything comes preconfigured, I just chose the WordPress install button and that's it.

In-house.

It is a free CMS, so there is no initial investment with the use of this platform, except domain and hosting costs. The benefits with the use of WordPress are very large, especially when it is oriented to the sale of products and services.

Channel and Marketing Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Lots of flexibility for integrations and ability to create simpler as well as more complex sites

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for marketing our product and make sure we are always able to be found by the right people - converting visitors to leads. Because Wordpress has so many plugins and the ability to integrate different analytics, SEO, and even social apps, we can track all the data we need to make real decisions about page, messaging, blog, content performance.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to manage our website internally, so we don't need to hire a costly web management service to do it for us. It also integrates with a ton of other services (analytics, forms, email lists, CRMs, etc.) that are key to getting the right information and sending it to the right places.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and the variety of plugins. Because it is such a well-known and popular product, there are a ton of development companies and users creating plugins and solutions for it, which makes it adaptable and easy for people who have fewer technical skills.

With Gutenberg, Wordpress is poised to become even more accessible to the average website manager, so minimal knowledge of css or html is necessary. However, Gutenberg is still very buggy, so be sure to use another builder in the meantime (e.g. Beaver Builder).

What needs improvement?

Because it's such a popular platform, it can have vulnerabilities that you want to be up to date on. Be sure to upgrade to the latest stable version, and make sure you have some security (e.g. iThemes) running on your site.

Three to five years.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

We have not yet encountered any scalability issues.

We don't pay for WordPress technical support. But there are a lot of forums and ways to troubleshoot information for it.

We did not have a previous solution.

The setup was straightforward. You can actually install WordPress directly through your hosting services.

We implemented with the assistance of a qualified web designer who set up the initial site, theme, content, and plugins. From there, we took on the design and maintenance ourselves, with occasional help from a web development agency who assists with projects like migrating our site to SSL etc.

Leads are our bread and butter, and if you are a SaaS company, then you know how valuable your website is.

Even with a brick and mortar company that I work with, the website provides a third of all leads looking for their services.

The WordPress platform is free! But because there are so many paid add-ons, just be sure that what you're getting has been vetted by other WordPress users. if you are looking at a solid and well-documented theme and visual builder, you are probably looking at ~$500.

We did not evaluate other solutions. We knew we wanted this one.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not technically skilled, get someone to set it up for you to make it easy to create and update the pages yourself going forward.

Find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, Microsoft, Plone and others in Web Content Management. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
content writing manager at Self-employed
A stable system which offers a wide variety of themes and templates

• "It is a stable system which offers a wide variety of themes and templates."
  • "The system should be more informative."

What is our primary use case?

WordPress is the only Content Management system which I am presently using for building professional websites and blogs. It is a great application which gives an all-in-one solution for creating stunning websites.

There is no need for experience in hard coding. Although, some expertise is still needed for customization.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a leading content management system, where it is easy to create nearly all types of websites and blogs. It is also a stable system which offers a wide variety of themes and templates.

What is most valuable?

• Very stable and easy to use content management system.
  • Friendly for creating blogs.
  • Thousands of themes available for free and premium.
  • Availability of thousands of plugins for extending functions.

What needs improvement?

The system should be more informative. E.g., if there is an error in uploading a theme or there is some issue with a plugin, WordPress should describe the error in a more descriptive way and also should explain the solution. This way it could become more user-friendly and easier to work with.

More than five years.

WordPress is stable. Only a few times would there be issues, but those came only from hosting or other similar issues.

Sometimes there are issues, but not frequently.

The technical support is okay. Generally, it goes with the theme owner. The service provider is sometimes fast in responding, and sometimes not.

I tried Joomla and Drupal, but found WordPress to be better. It was better for me in terms of ease to use, availability of themes, and plugins.

Sometimes, it was straightforward. Sometimes, it was complex. It depended upon the themes and plugins that I used.

We implemented it in-house.

The ROI is very good. It provides a high ROI.

Set up cost is nothing. Pricing is free. You need to pay a cost only for the domains, hosting, and to buy themes.

I evaluated Joomla and Drupal.

What other advice do I have?

This is the best solution for building a quick website.

Consultant at a tech services company
Ready-made themes speed the design process. The basic product is becoming less usable by end users for site maintenance post delivery.

• "As WordPress is such a popular product, there are many designers and developers available to work on projects."
  • "Ready-made themes speed the design process; a huge number of quality themes are available from several sources."
  • "Good for rapidly turning around all the elements required for online sales funnels."
  • "The basic product is becoming less usable by end users for site maintenance post delivery."
  • "Backups and moving sites could be handled better."
  • "WordPress sites do require quite a bit of maintenance: Constant updates to both WordPress and all the various plugins that it requires."

What is our primary use case?

WordPress CMS is used on a variety of website projects internally and for our clients. It is used for static websites and numerous projects, including booking systems, review sites, job boards, and portal sites. It is also used for marketing activities in conjunction with a number of other tools.

How has it helped my organization?

• WordPress is a fast way to present and test online business concepts, events, and marketing activity. Although WordPress has its shortcomings, it is a great way to deliver working websites and test new business ideas.
  • Good for rapidly turning around all the elements required for online sales funnels.
  • WordPress is also the go-to tool for building sites for one-off marketing events.

What is most valuable?

• Ready-made themes speed the design process; a huge number of quality themes are available from several sources.
  • Plug-ins are available to provide additional functionality, for example, event booking, directories, job boards, etc.
  • Frameworks and design tools can simplify the design process and create a back-end which is usable for non-technical people with some simple training.
  • As WordPress is such a popular product, there are many designers and developers available to work on projects.

What needs improvement?

• WordPress sites do require quite a bit of maintenance: Constant updates to both WordPress and all the various plugins that it requires.
  • Security is an issue, but this is the case with any open source software.
  • Backups and moving sites could be handled better.
  • WordPress is highly customisable, but this leads to a confusing back end. There are so many menus and options available. The basic product is becoming less usable by end users for site maintenance post delivery.

it_user795618
Research Assistant
User

• "It has a vast array of themes which could be applied to make the website visually look more appealing to the target market."
  • "This program has made it possible for our company to advertise all around the country, instead of keeping it local."
  • "It may be useful to have a downloadable program that you could have on your desktop that allows you to create and maintain the program while offline."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for WordPress was to create and maintain a website internally in the company, which we have done (and are very happy with the result). I worked with my manager to create a great website that shows our products and has drop down lists, as well as being very appealing to the eye.

How has it helped my organization?

This program, WordPress, has made it possible for our company to advertise all around the country, instead of keeping it local. Without the potential customers actually coming into the store, it shows them what we do, which we believe is important in a company. It is important for a customer to know what the company does, so they are comfortable to come and speak to us.

What is most valuable?

Each feature has its merits.

• WordPress has the ability to add numerous plugins.
  • Contact forms
  • A Shopping Cart
  • It has a vast array of themes which could be applied to make the website visually look more appealing to the target market.

What needs improvement?

I cannot say what exactly could be improved per se as the program is pretty flawless as it is.

It may be useful, however, to have a downloadable program that you could have on your desktop that allows you to create and maintain the program while offline.

Less than one year.
it_user685404
Vice President , Sr. Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The online store, dynamic shipping cost tables, and invoicing are a few of the valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Once a site is developed using WordPress, it is quite easy to maintain. There is a nice administrative interface that leverages the same data as referenced by the website, but it is crafted with a focus on ease.

How has it helped my organization?

The online store, dynamic shipping cost tables, item bundling, shipping tickets, and invoicing are a few of the features that we utilized via the WooCommerce plugins.

Without having the ability to easily install these plugins, we would have been forced to create them manually. The plugin that was probably the most helpful was the QuickBooks API. This plugin provided a direct connect to our cloud-based QuickBooks solution, eliminating much of the data entry required for bookkeeping.

What needs improvement?

There are limits to some of the features provided within the backend interface, but it is quite powerful for the low cost.

We would not have been able to function without the plugins available through WooCommerce.

Most of the plugins that we installed provided about 85-90% of what was needed. There is limited customization available for these plugins.

Running updates occasionally broke down our website. In these situations, we had to pull backups or contact our website developer for guidance.

I have maintained updates to a WordPress website for approximately two years.

Our WordPress application was more than able to handle our updates.

Online support is about all that we needed for the main application. There was never a need for technical support, as such.

We didn't use another solution previously.

Our website developer installed all of the needed pieces for the application. They did not report any difficulties.

WordPress is very reasonably priced. I would, however, encourage all prospective customers who are interested in having an online store to utilize a reputable web host.

We used the same company that developed our website as our web host. The site performed well at go-live, but began to deteriorate as new features were added. The end result was that our local web host was unable to handle our enhancements.

We eventually migrated our application to Go Daddy to resolve our web hosting woes.

We did not evaluate other options, as our web developer only built sites using WordPress.

What other advice do I have?

You can rest assured that WordPress will likely provide a scalable back end to your website. The only advice that I would emphasize is to spend some time and money on a quality web hosting service.

WooCommerce is a well-known ecommerce plugin provider for the WordPress platform.

We used multiple out-of-the-box plugins from this company to enhance our website.

We leveraged the standard WooCommerce marketplace, Authorize.net portal (allow for credit card payments), QuickBooks plugin (integrate with our cloud based QuickBooks system), shipping ticket and invoicing printing plugins, and dynamic table rate shipping plugin.

There were minor limits to the dynamic table rate shipping plugin so we had to get creative on pricing for bundled products shipping.

The QuickBooks integration was not exactly seamless and required some manual modifications. However, the QB plugin saved a great deal of manual double-entry.

Consultant en organisation & chargé de mission à l'international at a consultancy
Simple to learn. The product is agile and flexible.

What is most valuable?

WordPress is simple to learn, agile, and flexible.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we have a blog!

What needs improvement?

Ergonomy Aestheticism

One year.

A change of management in my team.

No issues.

Customer Service: A five out of 10. Technical Support: A six out of 10.

It was straightforward.

10%. …

What is most valuable?

WordPress is simple to learn, agile, and flexible.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we have a blog!

What needs improvement?

• Ergonomy
  • Aestheticism

One year.

A change of management in my team.

A five out of 10.

A six out of 10.

It was straightforward.

10%.

Ask for help from the professionals.

No, not really.

Mark Vincent Verallo
Web Developer / Programmer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

What is most valuable?

Even though there are 1000s of plugins that are available to extend your WordPress website's features, WordPress is naturally packed with many valuable features for both publishers and developers. One of its acclaimed features is its simplicity. This is the feature which allows anyone to quickly get online and start publishing. There should be nothing that could hinder you from getting your website up and live, because WordPress is simply, very easy to use and tame.

How has it helped my organization?

Today, most websites are powered by this CMS. The latest statistics say that 28% of the web is made by WordPress. In fact, that is not a steady or a declining figure — it's a growing one. Everyday, more websites are born because of WordPress.

I cannot deny that WordPress is a very valuable tool for me, and surely, for any organization, too, because with this CMS, anyone can build websites from simple ones to even enterprise-level types. One can even build an application using WordPress.

What needs improvement?

I think WordPress needs to improve itself in the area of security. I have seen a lot of WordPress websites being the target of hackers and spammers. One of the reason is that it is the most widely used CMS today.

WordPress also needs to improve its speed. Although it is not really a slow CMS, as soon as you add more plugins, you'll notice a difference it its speed and performance.

I've been using WordPress for over 15 years now.

Yes. There's no such thing as perfect development and deployment. However, they are just minor ones, and usually, it's not related to WordPress itself but on how the host is being configured. In other words, it's usually related to the host server environment.

Yes. Usually it happens when you have a lot of outdated plugins. All you need to do is to keep them up-to-date.

No. WordPress, like the other popular CMSs, is also very extendable. However, I don't think it is ideal for large businesses.

Great. You can always ask for help from its community anytime.

I would rate the technical support at an eight and a half out of 10.

I actually use various CMSs when building sites. It depends on the specs of the project.

Luckily, as I have said, WordPress strength is its simplicity. It's not only limited to the actual usage, but even during the initial setup. WordPress is very easy to install.

I prefer not to talk about it. I only build websites for my clients.

If they want to be up and running quickly, and if they don't have a very large content base, then use this CMS.

Other CMS that are worthy to note are Drupal and Joomla.

What other advice do I have?

WordPress combines simplicity for users and publishers with under-the-hood complexity for developers.

Product & Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Review about WordPress

What is most valuable?

-Simplicity: it is possible for you to get online and get publishing, quickly.

-Flexibility: WordPress can handle just about any kind of website. With WordPress anyone with or without any coding knowledge can build beautiful robust WordPress websites.

-Publish with Ease: WordPress make it easy to create Posts by just a single button click. Start by filling in the blanks: enter post title and post body content. When you are ready, click Publish.

-Easy Administration Panel: WordPress’s popularity comes with its own easy administration panels.

-Easy Installation and Upgrades: WordPress is very easy to install. It only takes a moment and a few clicks.

-Multilingual: WordPress is available in more than 70 languages. You can use WordPress in any language that you want. It is very easy to create a website in any single language.

-Extend with Plugins: WordPress has a plugin directory containing thousands of plugins. You can add complex galleries, calendars, social networking, social media widgets, spam protection, fine-tune controls for search engine optimization, forums to your sites.

-Security: WordPress secure enough if you keep it up-to-date.

How has it helped my organization?

-WordPress platform lets us quickly get websites up and running.

-WordPress’ plugin architecture and templating system are simple to customize and build upon.

-WordPress is constantly being improved. The best part is that improvements to core security, bug fixes, and general upgrades will always be available to you at no cost.

-WordPress is SEO-Friendly and Easy to Optimize.

-WordPress has many e-commerce solution to suit our business.

What needs improvement?

-Modifying tables or graphics format in admin dashboard can be more complicated than other applications like Joomla.

-Users with advanced needs would have to install many plugins to have what is a standard for Joomla or any other CMS.

I have been using it for 3 years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

We previously used Mambo, Drupal and Joomla.

It takes just a few mouse clicks to have WordPress up and running on your hosting account. All best WordPress web hosting companies allow you to install WordPress within few clicks.

We implement it in-house.

WordPress is a free software. You are free to download, install, use and modify it.

We evaluated Mambo, Drupal and Joomla.

What other advice do I have?

Here are 5 reasons why you should use WordPress:

-WordPress allows you to create fully functional websites and mobile applications. You can make your website beautiful with themes, and extend it with plugins.

-WordPress is a open source software. It has a large community and is maintained by a large group of volunteers.

-There are many services for WordPress that make tackling this particular issue a lot simpler and save you a ton of time while making everything a lot more manageable.

-WordPress has plugin functionality, but compared to other CMS, it's quite basic. You can create highly functional and complex sites using WordPress.

-The cost of a WordPress site depends entirely on your budget and goals.

Digital Marketing Analyst at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
It enables multiple logins to edit the site simultaneously.

What is most valuable?

The plugins and widget features: they make life easy and save a lot of time, which can be used for further updating of the site.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us a very good platform, enabling us to develop our site with ease, and by enabling multiple logins to edit the site simultaneously making our work easier.

What needs improvement?

The plugins have to be tested and monitored frequently as some of them lead to the website crashing. Also, all plugins must be compatible with the latest versions of WordPress.

I have been using it for six months.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

On a scale of 1-10, I’d give technical support a 7. For every query that you may have, WordPress has a thread opened where you will find answers easily. This has helped me out many times in the past.

Initial setup was straightforward. We had a theme to work with, which really made things easier.

An in-house team implemented it.

What other advice do I have?

It is extremely easy with all the plugins and widgets available. The changes you need to make can be easily implemented and there is a support forum if you face any issues.

Aimee White
Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
WordPress - not just for blogs anymore.

What is most valuable?

WordPress started in 2003 and for a long time it was viewed as a blogging platform but in the last 4 years it has come on quite a transformational journey. With it's wealth of low cost and well support plugins, it can provide customer solutions to even large scale membership based websites.

WordPress is  easy to install and is a really nice CMS . The ability to amend the PHP to add extra functionality of to tweak things is also a great bonus. The use of PHP also helps if you need to buy help in from a coder - PHP is common so there is a massive pool of devs.

It also doesn't need a massive server to run. That's great for smaller businesses who don't want the hassle of large cloud contracts.

How has it helped my organization?

I volunteer with various charities and WordPress is a very popular choice of CMS to allow them to have great functionality and a solid web presence. WordPress has allowed small organisations to control their web presence cheaply (or in most cases, for free). I think opening up the www to businesses, charities and organisations like this is a great thing.

What needs improvement?

Good point: It has hundreds of thousands of plugins.

Bad point: It has hundreds of thousand of plugins.

You pick a plugin, it seems well supported, you spend time installing it and setting it up. With the next WordPress back-end update, the owner of the plugin may not update their code so you are left with something that, at best, works but could be exploitable. So, it's a cloud - but the silver lining is the choice of plugins :D

One of the most major down points: everyone and their dog tries to hack it. If you use WordPress without security plugins then things won't go well for you. Thankfully, as above, there are lots to pick from: TOR blockers, IP blockers, whitelists, blacklists... all free.

This depends where you have it hosted.

I've used Joomla and Drupal which isn't so usable for the average Joe.

It's a simple click through process that takes 5 mins. There are loads of guides on line to help you through it if you are unsure.

David Quaid
Director - Inbound Marketing with 201-500 employees
The ease of access for a large developer community is good.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use User Interface Theme/template model Widgets and plugins Cost Ease of access for a large developer community

How has it helped my organization?

Rapid deployment ROI CapEx

What needs improvement?

Faster deployment Better native AMP

I've used it for 10 years.

We rarely have issues.

We've not really had any issues with the stability.

We sometimes have issues when scaling it out.

Customer Service: It's community based, so we never need customer service. Technical Support: It's…

What is most valuable?

1. Ease of use
  2. User Interface
  3. Theme/template model
  4. Widgets and plugins
  5. Cost
  6. Ease of access for a large developer community

How has it helped my organization?

1. Rapid deployment
  2. ROI
  3. CapEx

What needs improvement?

1. Faster deployment
  2. Better native AMP

I've used it for 10 years.

We rarely have issues.

We've not really had any issues with the stability.

We sometimes have issues when scaling it out.

It's community based, so we never need customer service.

It's bring your own support.

We previously used Joomla, and switched due to the ease of use and deployment process.

It's very straightforward.

We've implemented it through an in-house team as well as a vendor one.

There's an immediate return. The saving starts the minute you stop using something else.

What other advice do I have?

If this is your first CMS, go with WordPress, and if you outgrow it, you'll have a list of others. Just don't be snobby about it

SEO Business Web Technologies Merchant Solutions Consultant at a tech services company
The product has evolved and has become dependable and secure.

Valuable Features:

The product has evolved and has become dependable and secure. If you are an IT person, server security should be easy to implement.

Room for Improvement:

Better screen task management when doing updates of many pages. There should be an enhanced configuration screen for advanced users to do custom tweaks and adjustments. There are many editors to chose from. One must pick an editor that compliments the way you work.

Valuable Features:

The product has evolved and has become dependable and secure.

If you are an IT person, server security should be easy to implement.

Room for Improvement:

Web Designer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are sidebar, menu, and plugins/ratings. It needs better, updated plugins.

What is most valuable?

Sidebar Menu Plugins/ratings

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our speed to market.

What needs improvement?

It has a need for better, updated plugins. Now there's an SEA of them and there are too much with some being outdated.

We've used it for four years.

We've only had issues with the backups during deployment.

We had issues with the flash in the early days.

We can't scale as the plugins are outdated.

Customer Service: 7-8/10 Technical Support: 7/10

Which solution did I

What is most valuable?

• Sidebar
  • Menu
  • Plugins/ratings

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our speed to market.

What needs improvement?

We've used it for four years.

We've only had issues with the backups during deployment.

We had issues with the flash in the early days.

We can't scale as the plugins are outdated.

7-8/10

7/10

I used MS Front Page prior to WP.

I had to take classes beforehand, but it was straightforward afterwards.

I did it myself.

Some themes are expensive, but you don't need to buy them.

We also looked at Joomla but it's not worth using.

What other advice do I have?

Never do hard coding.

Product Categories
Web Content Management
Download our free Web Content Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, Microsoft, Plone, and more!
Quick Links