Workday OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Workday is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Benefits Administration tools. It is most often compared to SAP SuccessFactors: Workday vs SAP SuccessFactors

What is Workday?
Workday's enterprise Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products are cost-effective alternative to ERP software systems for human resource management. Watch our product previews and learn how Workday on-demand business intelligence applications can help organize, evaluate and maximize your profits today!
Workday Buyer's Guide

Download the Workday Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Workday Customers
AAA, Allied Global, Avago Technologies Limited, Aviva, Cardinal Health, CareFusion, Chiquita Brands International, Equifax, Flextronics, HP, Life Time Fitness, McKee Foods, MGM Resorts International, Sanofi, ServiceSource International, Symantec, TripAdvisor, Yahoo!
Workday Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Workday pricing:
  • "You have the license fee per module, and then you have a kind of annual training fee, which is a kind of add-on. I wouldn't say it is exhaustive; it is minor. Licensing is pretty transparent for most of the part."
  • "Its price is pretty high. It is more expensive than what is offered by other competitors in the market."
  • "The pricing is good from an HR perspective, although management gets upset after spending $500,000 a year, every year."

Workday Reviews

AH
Director of HR at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Simple to use with easy report creation and excellent AI

• "The solution was very good at reconfiguration and customization of their software. It helped us to meet federal regulations."
  • "The cost of Workday is certainly not inexpensive. It's very pricey."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as part of our hospital administration.

What is most valuable?

The solution really is so simple to use for the end-user.

If you're one of those end-users that need reports, it will create it for you on the fly. The search engine for creating reports is so of-the-moment. I've not found that any place else - and I have either vetted or worked with the top 150 of the HRS platforms out there.

The report creation just makes sense. It's AI-driven, which some of these older programs that are out there are not yet. With AI, it's continuously building, so that the more you use it, the more it becomes comfortable with who you are. Essentially, in the case of a hospital, it's 9,000 different users over seven campuses, and those are individual users. They're not being treated as part of all the nurses, as it depends on how they use it.

The mobile platform works very well. It's very seamless. It is very self-serving, as the op center of the hospital was shut down early, several months early. Therefore, the clients, if you will - in this instance, the doctors and nurses, and so forth, and the other employees - found the mobile app to be very, very comfortable and very easy to go back and forth on. It even gives you a mini screenshot of where you were before, kind of like you do with TV. And that was helpful. It made it so that you didn't have to go in and out all the time. It would just take you on a journey that was self-created.

The solution is going faster and smoother than ever. It's really working well.

We used the solution alongside Epic briefly. Epic was used as a training platform. I can't really speak to the process, however, it's my understanding that its training is even better than Workday's.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The seven hospitals weren't really used to talking to each other previously and now they're going to have to. It's helping to integrate them all together.

What needs improvement?

The cost of Workday is certainly not inexpensive. It's very pricey.

If your data is not very clean, it does make for a bit of a mess. It was part of the reason why we had to bring Epic in.

I have found, within the hospital experience, that Workday's overall contribution to making healthcare better was lacking. Without a doubt, COVID has forced companies to be more responsive to the needs, and so forth, within a hospital system, healthcare, whatever. And as such, within a matter of months, the technology will exist that all we'll need is a smartphone to do enterprise-level type of work. You will no longer need a tablet, for example. You will no longer need a PC as official intelligence would have taken over.

They're a leader in the market. I just wish the price would come down and they will continue to work really hard on making AI what it could be for them.

They've got to continue to grow, as they can get behind very, very quickly in the AI space. As quickly as AI is able to interpret what you now want as fast as the market's going to change. They need to stay on top of it, or they will get left behind.

I probably used the solution in and out of either the projects I've been managing; or as a part of my consulting work, or as a part of a direct-hire employment situation. I would say I've used the solution since 2013. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. We fixed everything in the very beginning. There were some older Microsoft platforms in those hospitals. One of them went back to Windows 2000. Nonetheless, those had to be brought in and upgraded first, to make the portfolio work across everything, all channels. The challenge was the older process systems that were already in place.

The scalability is amazing. If you do your homework, you take care of making sure your data is clean and that you've got key messengers and all that change management, certainly being very agile in this process, as it just makes things easier.

It integrates well too, which helps you expand. We'll be using Salesforce and Google will be our search engine. Google is offering $100,000 worth of advertising on their platform for free. Once we get up and going, and that's more of recruiting, advertising, obviously, solicitation of funds. Then, we're just nailing down whether or not Salesforce and PowerSchool are going to integrate well together, doing exactly what we need and not off-the-shelf. The big difference is going on in the background. And they're working very hard on it.

Within the hospital, we have 9,000 users on the solution.

Technical support was a critical part for us. They come in late with reconfiguration in order to meet federal guidelines. The hospital was state-mandated and had a lot of state-mandated requirements. Technical support really was amazing at coming in and customizing and reconfiguring the software to get the necessary federal funds.

They were extremely helpful and responsive. I'd rate them nine and a half out of ten overall.

The client had actually used ADP. From a software point of view, ADP was originally a loan/bookkeeping company/accountancy up in New York. That's how they started. It just grew, grew and grew and grew like Microsoft and actually had Microsoft as a layer on it. They began to offer brokerage services, and then HR as well. It wasn't a part of their original mandate.

There was a push to move to something bigger, faster, and more AI-driven.

ADP also owns the data. That's part of the cost to move away from it and that will cost you a minimum of $50,000, no matter what size company you are. That is to just retrieve your own data about your own people from them.

The initial setup is very straightforward. That’s the amazing thing about it. Epic is able to explain to you the processes of getting what you need. It's AI-driven, and once you get on there are certain templates necessary that you've got to have. You have got to go in and reregister yourself, however, it's already pulled all the information.

For us, on the hospital project, there was a whole lot of front-end work that had to be done. However, that's why we wanted the solution - to tie all this together and have it centralized, at least the data processing and data mining aspects.

The smartest thing the hospital did is they rolled everything out by business unit. They made sure that each campus was well integrated and then there was a final assimilation. That was smart on their part, as opposed to saying, “All the nurses have this now, and all the doctors have this, all the ERs can work on it now.”

The solution is pricey. However, the cost of implementation is probably half of what I have been used to in my 20 years of doing this project work. The cost has come down, which they do to be more competitive, obviously.

I found the opportunity with their technicians to do it almost an about-face between public and private websites in the cloud I just found that amazing. It was almost like it predicted what's going to happen. Of course, the project started a good six months before COVID actually hit, however, it was impressive, they were ready to handle their client's needs well before their clients knew they'd need it.

I looked at a lot of different options. There are 850 different HRS EOP platforms in the United States right now. It took me two years to narrow it down to 150, and then from there really looked at 15. I presented those to the executive board and we further narrowed it down to six.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner with Workday.

An organization considering the solution needs to first organize its requirements. That was the hardest part for us. That was the part that had to be fleshed out by my executives as to what we really wanted. That took a long time, I'm not going to kid you. However, it's a very important part of the process - especially due to the fact that there are so many solutions to choose from and you really need to understand what you need in order to get to which solution is best suited.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
NickStuchbery
Lead Consultant, Owner at Dodai Consulting Corp
Flexible solution with many valuable features like Business Processes, Human Capital Management, and Financial Management

• "This product is leaps and bounds above the competition. Part of the reason is that it is built with modern technology. It has no legacy coding in it at all."
  • "It is good that much of the development is based on community input but often that can lead to details being ignored and small, nagging issues are ignored."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I configure and consult with clients who ask me about solutions, how to use products, how to help them to implement the solutions, how to improve the deployment and performance, and how to give them the solutions they need. Workday is one of the better solutions we can provide.

How has it helped my organization?

Workday gives us another option for providing solutions to our clients that they need for managing and improving their business practices.

What is most valuable?

The feature I think that is the most attractive is the security. But there are other features that are valuable as well, such as the BP (Business Processes) — like the social security business processes — the HCM (Human Capital Management) modeling component, Absence (for monitoring time and attendance), Payroll (for payroll processing), Financial Management (core financial management) and the Benefits module (self service employee benefits management). All of those take care of essential business needs.

What needs improvement?

In essence, I think that all areas of the product have the potential to improve even if they are good already. At the same time, from one release to the next, Workday makes the effort to improve the product. The company has two updates per year. The product is always getting better with each release. If there was anything specific that I thought of that I would improve, it would be the Benefits domain and the advanced computations.

What clients seem to respond to as being in need of attention and want to see developed for the program is apparent in the community cooperation. Workday uses the community to brainstorm and collect feedback and drive innovation. To work with brainstorming, you go to the community and you create a brainstorm (propose an idea and enhancement), and then people in the community vote on it. You get votes and rankings based on response to your ideas. I think Workday is quite proud of the large percentage (40% or so) of what comes out in their releases comes from brainstorms and client feedback. There are tons of things that people propose and say they want in the product in upcoming releases. Workday does this for the customers and suggestions do get put into the product. I've never heard of something like this being done with any other product.

There are other enhancements that go untended that have been languishing for years. I am interested in one feature now and the development just is not spending the time to fix it. They are good but they are not perfect. You can see that they are trying to meet client needs. Using that as an example, you can only put a certain task in certain BPs. Additional data can only be an action item in a few business processes like Hire, Change Job, etcetera. The idea is that users would like the option for the additional data to be available in other areas.

Another example is the default field in Questionnaires. People have asked that the field not be required as a default. Little things like this you can workaround, but it's the little things that are kind of nice. On the other hand, little things get less attention in brainstorming so they get less attention in development.

We have been using the solution for five-and-a half-years

I would say that it is a very stable product.

I think it is extremely scalable if you have the money for it. You can have 5 employees using it or you can have 300,000 employees on it all using Workday globally. Scalability isn't a problem.

The customer service is pretty responsive and there is also a pretty good community. The Workday community is a closed user community guided by Workday but mostly comprised of user contributions. There are Workday contributions, questions, guides, administrative discussions, support — all that sort of thing. Users really invest time to help each other and it is a great support system. No other product has something quite like that. The Workday technical customer support system is in addition to and above-and-beyond that. It really provides a broader opportunity to learn and contribute.

The installation is complex. There are two reasons for this. One is that you need a Workday partner to implement the setup for you. In order to be a partner, you have to have an organization or group of consultants who are trained by Workday to implement the product and support it. It is a closed environment and Workday keeps everything pretty much in check. It is complex in the fact that you have to have somebody — either Workday or a Workday partner — implement it for you.

The deployment will usually anywhere from three months to 12 months or more. It depends on the number of users or the number of modules and how complex the expectations are for the implementation. All the different flavors of how complicated an organization wants the implementation to be — all that becomes a factor in the length of the deployment.

The number of people required for maintenance on Workday varies around the same sort of desire for complexity. You usually have at least one person in-house to watch the implementation and you will have a contract with somebody to supply you with support. That might be a partner contracted for 800 hours a year or whatever the specific terms might be. Then you "lose it as you use it" or you have an ongoing maintenance contract with somebody.

Licensing costs are tiered. When you add different modules, it adds to your cost. For example, you can pay for Payroll functionality or you pay for the Benefits module. The more pieces you add, the more you pay.

I can't say what a particular company may value or see as a true return on investment. I would say that it is expensive — it is the most expensive one out there. In my opinion, you would get a clear return on investment. Different businesses would account for that in different ways.

Our clients like to look at some of the bigger names like PeopleSoft, Ceridian's Dayforce, and maybe a few other major competing products. Workday beats them all. In my opinion, they are leaps and bounds above the competition. Part of the reason is that it is built with modern technology. It has no legacy coding in it at all.

What other advice do I have?

I've been in the HR/Payroll product domain for about 25 years, so I've been involved in the development of Ceridian's applications and other companies as well. I know a lot about other products and competitors.

Workday is a bit different, but I love it. You get used to it. It is like back-in-the-day when HR and the payroll system used to be the determining factor in whether you got to have a company laptop or not.

One piece of advice to anyone considering this as a solution is to implement it properly. Spend the time and do it right the first time. Don't rush the requirements, don't skip steps just to get to a stage of deployment. Do your requirements properly. Consider everything beforehand. Don't leave things till later that you should do now. It will be worth the extra time that you invest. That is really true for everyone and every implementation, but especially for Workday. Trying to go back in after the fact and change things is just really complicated and it is a real pain. Skipping steps to get it implemented is a big thing that we notice that clients do.

We have often had to go back and fix something that a client overlooked or looked past. There's always something changing, there's always something that wasn't done correctly. There's always some tweaking afterward. The more tweaking you avoid by doing it right, the less you pay to get it fixed.

After releases, 99 percent of the time it is great and it will not introduce issues. In my experience, it is really rare for issues to crop up or that those issues are so extreme that a client will have to roll an upgrade back. I find that the releases are really well-tested and well-managed. They have two releases a year and in those two releases, they are usually pretty good at getting new features out there.

On a scale from one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate Workday as an 8. Having had 25 years of being involved in the development of other Ceridian products, the development of some other products and having to work with PeopleSoft as a customer, Workday is right there with the best of them.

Learn what your peers think about Workday. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FK
Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It reduces the administrative burden and provides better visibility in reporting on benefits

• "It helps the users to enroll for the benefits automatically and update their life events without the involvement of HR individuals or back-office staff. It enables a person to take action on their own. It reduces the administrative burden on HR and puts the ownership on the person that is going through the life event, whether it is having a child, taking a leave of absence, or something else. There are easy ways to integrate Workday with your common benefits. At least in the USA, it can be integrated with common benefits providers such as Fidelity, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, etc. It has got a connector that is able to connect with the vendor or the third party to which you are trying to send the eligibility file. It basically allows us to automate or set up the tool, and the integration with the provider is a lot quicker than competing tools. When it comes to reporting on just eligibility and SLSA, it is a lot more user-intuitive. Depending on the purpose of what you are doing, you can grant security rights or roles, for example, you can control whether someone is a benefits administrator doing an independent audit. Workday makes it very easy to do that. It significantly simplifies the reporting process."
  • "It is very unique as compared to other tools in terms of the employee master data and how it is organized. That's why sometimes the information needs to sit in two different systems because, in Workday, it is organized differently. This issue is not related to benefits. It is more or so related to how you categorize employees. I don't think this is a problem that could be solved. Workday is aware of this. It is one of those kinds of situations that you just got to live with."

What is our primary use case?

Workday is an HR management or a talent management tool. It is basically the full suite of HR core processes. It has got modules within it for benefits for HR administration and talent acquisition.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to reduce the administrative burden of HR so that HR can focus more on strategic activities rather than administrative work. It also provides better visibility in reporting on benefits.

What is most valuable?

It helps the users to enroll for the benefits automatically and update their life events without the involvement of HR individuals or back-office staff. It enables a person to take action on their own. It reduces the administrative burden on HR and puts the ownership on the person that is going through the life event, whether it is having a child, taking a leave of absence, or something else.

There are easy ways to integrate Workday with your common benefits. At least in the USA, it can be integrated with common benefits providers such as Fidelity, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, etc. It has got a connector that is able to connect with the vendor or the third party to which you are trying to send the eligibility file. It basically allows us to automate or set up the tool, and the integration with the provider is a lot quicker than competing tools.

When it comes to reporting on just eligibility and SLSA, it is a lot more user-intuitive. Depending on the purpose of what you are doing, you can grant security rights or roles, for example, you can control whether someone is a benefits administrator doing an independent audit. Workday makes it very easy to do that. It significantly simplifies the reporting process.

What needs improvement?

It is very unique as compared to other tools in terms of the employee master data and how it is organized. That's why sometimes the information needs to sit in two different systems because, in Workday, it is organized differently. This issue is not related to benefits. It is more or so related to how you categorize employees. I don't think this is a problem that could be solved. Workday is aware of this. It is one of those kinds of situations that you just got to live with.

I have been using Workday since 2013.

It is very stable, but obviously, it is all about how you set it up and configure it. At the end of the day, the technology works. It is all about setting it up the right way.

We use it across the organization for all 10,000 employees. As we hire more or acquire more companies, it is definitely going to be used more.

We have around 10,000 users, and about 4,000 of them are back-office employees. That would be HR, finance, supply chain, and IT. The other half of the organization is using it sparingly, but this is the revenue-generating workforce that is sitting in the field. These could be plant workers, plant supervisors, and craft labor. Basically, we just log in to look at their paycheck and other things, but we use the app to look at their leave balances.

They do a great job of selling the tool, but for support, you are kind of on your own. You either decide to go with a vendor to support you, or you build capabilities in-house. It is a common model. I know it sounds like they are leaving you out to dry, but in today's day and age, this is a common model with most providers.

If we need additional stuff that we are not getting, they are great at providing that. In terms of supporting the application, I can't even rank them because, frankly, they don't do it. It is something for which we have to pay an external vendor to provide the service.

We went from Legacy ERP to Workday. We switched because of its simplicity, ease of use, and a lot simpler and easier user interface.

The initial setup was complex but manageable. I have worked on a couple of deployments. The last one within the last year was supposed to take eight months, but it took a year and a half. That was mainly because of the integrations taking a lot longer than I anticipated and problems with the vendor who was implementing it. The vendor did a series of missteps that didn't help.

We had an implementation partner who didn't do a very good job. We have 10 to 20 people to maintain it, but it depends on the complexity of your configuration and builds.

We considered all the top leading HCM solutions, such as SuccessFactors, Oracle HCM, and UltiPro. It was a $5 million to $10 million investment for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that your HR data is clean. Take your time. Everybody is eager to implement a new shiny toy, but a lot of cleanups are required to get your house in order. You have got to clean up your HR data and make sure that there are no duplicate employees, people are assigned to the right job descriptions, and there are no such people who are terminated but still sit in your organization. When you actually migrate the data, all such issues will create a lot of problems.

It is a leading talent management tool, and it has got the largest market share. I would rate Workday a ten out of ten.

Rahul Goyal
Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Easy reporting, robust security, great reliability, and covers most of the use cases

• "The reporting feature is quite easy for a layman to use, and the look and feel of the application is good. Its security is robust. You will never find a use case that cannot be covered."
  • "They don't offer any backend database access. This is one limitation that I found in this product. Workday hasn't opened up about what kind of database they are into, which can make it easy for the technical team to emulate issues. It would be good if they can offer backend access to the technical team. It would be helpful if they can also provide a Troubleshooting Guide that we can use to troubleshoot issues. When we have an issue, there are very limited resources to refer to."

What is our primary use case?

We are using several modules of Workday for the employees in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using an on-premises application in the past. The upgrade time for that application used to be a project in itself, lasting one year. With Workday being a cloud application and SaaS model, the upgrade process is no more a nightmare. It gets updated overnight.

The support team for this on-premises application used to be a larger team. Now it is a smaller team. We have reduced the staff that supports this application, and there is no cost for the upgrade. There is an update every six months, and it is free.

What is most valuable?

The reporting feature is quite easy for a layman to use, and the look and feel of the application is good. Its security is robust. You will never find a use case that cannot be covered.

What needs improvement?

They don't offer any backend database access. This is one limitation that I found in this product. Workday hasn't opened up about what kind of database they are into, which can make it easy for the technical team to emulate issues. It would be good if they can offer backend access to the technical team.

It would be helpful if they can also provide a Troubleshooting Guide that we can use to troubleshoot issues. When we have an issue, there are very limited resources to refer to.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is a very steady product. Its reliability is 100%. Of late, we haven't experienced any bug that we had to report to Workday.

They have recently come up with a feature using which the clients can customize, but we are yet to explore it. Our HR partner, Skills partner, and Talent partner are the users of this solution. We also have technical teams to manage its integration.

We haven't adapted this solution a hundred percent because it can never be a hundred percent. You always have the scope to grow. They keep on coming up with new features, and it takes time to adapt to those features. By the time you do that, they come up with more features.

I never used their support.

We were using Oracle PeopleSoft. We switched primarily because of the cost and our requirement to upgrade to the cloud. Basically, we were looking to migrate from the on-premises model. A cloud application is much faster than an on-premises application.

The initial setup is quite easy. Anyone who has the domain knowledge can do it. It was around a seven-month journey. We implemented it module-wise in various phases. We did two modules per month. We first did the Team module. After that, we went into the Absence module and then into the Performance module.

We had a dedicated convergent team with two people, a functional team with four experts, and an integration team with four people for integrating it with other third-party stuff. It was an eight to ten members team, and it took six months for the full-fledged implementation.

It is pretty early to comment on that. We will analyze this as we proceed with the application, but as of now, we are seeing more employee engagement. Employees are kind of spending more time using the application as compared to our previous on-premises HR solution. We can do surveys in the application, make announcements using dashboards, and do other such things to engage employees with the application.

Its price is pretty high. It is more expensive than what is offered by other competitors in the market.

It was a long list of vendors, and we had taken demos from all. It was like a four-month journey for us before we arrived at a conclusion. As compared to other solutions, Workday is on the costlier side. It is costlier than what is being offered for similar products from Oracle and other vendors, but from the stability perspective, it has got good credibility. What we saw from the demo matched what we were looking for.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be cautious while selecting a product. Selecting the product is a crucial phase, and you have to know whether the product meets your requirements because you have really limited customization options in a cloud product.

There is a great amount of support from Workday for implementation. There are also implementation partners in the market.

I would rate Workday an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
RR
ServiceNow Solution Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Robust platform with good reporting and analytic capabilities, but it needs to be more user-friendly

• "The platform itself is very robust and I generally like the reporting and analytics capability."
  • "The UI, UX (user experience) is very bad. It is not very interactive."

What is our primary use case?

We use Workday for our employee onboarding and their entire lifecycle. We try to use certain aspects of Workday, such as currency management. For example, if they put in their expenses and they need to have them reimbursed, we use Workday.

Before the onboarding process, they have the hiring process, then they enter the recruitment phase. Once the recruitment is complete in Workday, they have to create a profile for these employees in the system.

The main data will always be in Workday. You are using it as a CRM.

What is most valuable?

The platform itself is very robust and I generally like the reporting and analytics capability.

What needs improvement?

The UI, UX (user experience) is very bad. It is not very interactive. As a user, when they look at Workday, they find it difficult to navigate. If they have any queries, I am not able to launch a case. I have to find a solution to my issues.

For an IT user, it might look like a large platform but from an end-user perspective or someone new to IT, they will find it to be very difficult.

In the next release, I would like to see better case management, knowledge management, improve the UI/UX, and provide more integration options.

Also, I would like to see it become more user-friendly.

I have been using Workday for six months to one year.

It's pretty stable. The coding platform is very solid, which means it's pretty stable.

This solution is scalable.

The availability of technical support could be better. The wait time could be reduced. The resolution time could be faster.

I would rate the technical support a seven out of ten.

We are currently using ServiceNow and we integrate it with Workday.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

You may need some help, but it's not very complex.

Depending on the complexities, it can take two to three months to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I am working with a product called ServiceNow, but we use Workday for some interfaces. We help with the integration and data from Workday. We are using Workday for our client's companies.

Our company is part of Bitpro and we use our internal systems.

The technical support needs to improve in reducing their wait time.

If they have time, then I would suggest the look at ServiceNow. They have the platform to cater to other departments, from customer service to security or IT service management.

If you don't have a large number of business requirements where you want to be complete within six months, the Workday would be a good option.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

NC
Independent Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good reporting, reliable, and scales well

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of reporting."
  • "The implementation could have gone a little smoother."

What is our primary use case?

In different companies, I have used all of the core features. I have also used it for HR and worked with the recruiting functionality.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of reporting.

What needs improvement?

The implementation could have gone a little smoother. Typically, they give you credits for hours to use, and you go through them quickly. Then, they charge you per hour on calls after that, so I had to negotiate it because I implemented it myself and did not use an outside party.

With respect to technical support, there is some room for improvement.

In the future, I would like to see better artificial intelligence in recruiting capabilities.

I had used Workday for approximately seven years, but I have now left that position.

This is a reliable solution.

I did have an opportunity to scale it. At the first company, there were approximately 2,500 users. In the second one, the number of people using it was closer to 4,000.

The technical support is very good when you get through to the right person.

I have used Workday in two previous roles. At one company, I installed it, and at a second one, I helped to implement it.

The deployment is a little bit complex and I had to purchase additional support hours to complete it. It did not take a long time, although it was also not quick. If you consider what is probably common for most people implementing any type of system that size, I was probably about six weeks late on the deliverable.

I deployed it myself.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis. The pricing is good from an HR perspective, although management gets upset after spending $500,000 a year, every year. As the cost continues, you get a little pushback from finance. It is not a cheap solution.

There is an additional hourly charge for support once you are finished with the credits that are included.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I recommend. I still think it's one of the better solutions that you're not paying for customization with. There are better products out there, but you have to customize them. Then, you're paying for increased costs with deliverables. You create a lot of spaghetti strings on customization, then you have to hire consultants to do the work.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AmitRai
Senior Software Engineer at SOAIS
Good reporting with an interface that is easy to use

• "The user interface is good and very easy to use."
  • "The security console should be made less complex."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to gather customer requirements and then generate reports, configuring BPs and other HCM related transection like Hiring, termination, job change, Name change etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reporting. HCM prepares reports that describe the performance and other details.

The user interface is good and very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The security console should be made less complex. This way, if anybody wants access to a particular business object then they can simply send a request to access the corresponding parts. Once the administrator sees the request, they can set permissions to specify whether the user has access or not.

I would like a report that searches for and produces a list of all the business objects that are based on a function area.

I have been using Workday for 5 years.

I have not had any issues with stability.

We have had some errors in reporting but they were easily solved.

This is a scalable solution.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have experience with database-based ERP systems and this solution is easier to use.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The length of time required to deploy Workday depends on the complexity of the requirements. The average is probably one week.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first prepare the company so that Workday will best support the organization. You need to integrate it properly into the business. After that is the security configuration, which is the complex part.

Moving to a cloud solution after using an on-premises solution has given me some difficulty because there is a gap. However, the user interface is easier to use.

MC
Partner - Co-Founder at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good open architecture and is able to interconnect with other systems

• "It's actually a cloud-native solution and based on the community for development. It is a very good open architecture and able to interconnect with other systems. And it is very stable and very fast in terms of response."
  • "Reporting systems should be improved. If you want to report it on paper, if you want something more BI oriented, more high level predictive or more data-driven, it should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm doing high-level research - I analyze the HCM market for some academic research. So, it's not really a business initiative.

What is most valuable?

Stability in one single version is the most valuable feature of this solution. It's actually a cloud-native solution and based on the community for development. It is a very good open architecture and able to interconnect with other systems. And it is very stable and very fast in terms of response.

What needs improvement?

Reporting system should be improved. It is quite static based on historical data. It misses features relative with predictive analytics. For the data-driven organization, it is not on par. The second area that needs improvement is localization with the different jurisdictions.

I've worked with Workday for two years.

It is very stable and fast in terms of response.

It is highly scalable.

I was completely satisfied with the technical support, the interface, and the performance.

It was local and basically all spread, so each country used their own local HR system. So we didn't replace HCM by HCM.

I am just a consultant and we don't have any formal association with any software vendor for ethical principles.

I was completely satisfied with the technical support. There are no bugs or performance issues.

I have used SAP HCM and Oracle Taleo.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.