Workday OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Workday is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Benefits Administration tools. It is most often compared to SAP SuccessFactors: Workday vs SAP SuccessFactors

What is Workday?
Workday's enterprise Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products are cost-effective alternative to ERP software systems for human resource management. Watch our product previews and learn how Workday on-demand business intelligence applications can help organize, evaluate and maximize your profits today!
Workday Buyer's Guide

Download the Workday Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Workday Customers
AAA, Allied Global, Avago Technologies Limited, Aviva, Cardinal Health, CareFusion, Chiquita Brands International, Equifax, Flextronics, HP, Life Time Fitness, McKee Foods, MGM Resorts International, Sanofi, ServiceSource International, Symantec, TripAdvisor, Yahoo!
Workday Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Workday pricing:
  • "You have the license fee per module, and then you have a kind of annual training fee, which is a kind of add-on. I wouldn't say it is exhaustive; it is minor. Licensing is pretty transparent for most of the part."
  • "Its price is pretty high. It is more expensive than what is offered by other competitors in the market."
  • "Workday is an expensive solution."
  • "The pricing is good from an HR perspective, although management gets upset after spending $500,000 a year, every year."

AH
Director of HR at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Simple to use with easy report creation and excellent AI

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as part of our hospital administration.

• "The solution was very good at reconfiguration and customization of their software. It helped us to meet federal regulations."
  • "The cost of Workday is certainly not inexpensive. It's very pricey."

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner with Workday. An organization considering the solution needs to first organize its requirements. That was the hardest part for us. That was the part that had to be fleshed out by my executives as to what we really wanted. That took a long time, I'm not going to kid you. However, it's a very important part of the process - especially due to the fact that there are so many solutions to choose from and you really need to understand what you need in order to get to which solution is best suited. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
NickStuchbery
Lead Consultant, Owner at Dodai Consulting Corp
Flexible solution with many valuable features like Business Processes, Human Capital Management, and Financial Management

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I configure and consult with clients who ask me about solutions, how to use products, how to help them to implement the solutions, how to improve the deployment and performance, and how to give them the solutions they need. Workday is one of the better solutions we can provide.

• "This product is leaps and bounds above the competition. Part of the reason is that it is built with modern technology. It has no legacy coding in it at all."
  • "It is good that much of the development is based on community input but often that can lead to details being ignored and small, nagging issues are ignored."

What other advice do I have?

I've been in the HR/Payroll product domain for about 25 years, so I've been involved in the development of Ceridian's applications and other companies as well. I know a lot about other products and competitors. Workday is a bit different, but I love it. You get used to it. It is like back-in-the-day when HR and the payroll system used to be the determining factor in whether you got to have a company laptop or not. One piece of advice to anyone considering this as a solution is to implement it properly. Spend the time and do it right the first time. Don't rush the requirements, don't skip steps…
Learn what your peers think about Workday. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FK
Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It reduces the administrative burden and provides better visibility in reporting on benefits

What is our primary use case?

Workday is an HR management or a talent management tool. It is basically the full suite of HR core processes. It has got modules within it for benefits for HR administration and talent acquisition.

• "It helps the users to enroll for the benefits automatically and update their life events without the involvement of HR individuals or back-office staff. It enables a person to take action on their own. It reduces the administrative burden on HR and puts the ownership on the person that is going through the life event, whether it is having a child, taking a leave of absence, or something else. There are easy ways to integrate Workday with your common benefits. At least in the USA, it can be integrated with common benefits providers such as Fidelity, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, etc. It has got a connector that is able to connect with the vendor or the third party to which you are trying to send the eligibility file. It basically allows us to automate or set up the tool, and the integration with the provider is a lot quicker than competing tools. When it comes to reporting on just eligibility and SLSA, it is a lot more user-intuitive. Depending on the purpose of what you are doing, you can grant security rights or roles, for example, you can control whether someone is a benefits administrator doing an independent audit. Workday makes it very easy to do that. It significantly simplifies the reporting process."
  • "It is very unique as compared to other tools in terms of the employee master data and how it is organized. That's why sometimes the information needs to sit in two different systems because, in Workday, it is organized differently. This issue is not related to benefits. It is more or so related to how you categorize employees. I don't think this is a problem that could be solved. Workday is aware of this. It is one of those kinds of situations that you just got to live with."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that your HR data is clean. Take your time. Everybody is eager to implement a new shiny toy, but a lot of cleanups are required to get your house in order. You have got to clean up your HR data and make sure that there are no duplicate employees, people are assigned to the right job descriptions, and there are no such people who are terminated but still sit in your organization. When you actually migrate the data, all such issues will create a lot of problems. It is a leading talent management tool, and it has got the largest market share. I would rate Workday a ten…
Rahul Goyal
Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Easy reporting, robust security, great reliability, and covers most of the use cases

What is our primary use case?

We are using several modules of Workday for the employees in our organization.

• "The reporting feature is quite easy for a layman to use, and the look and feel of the application is good. Its security is robust. You will never find a use case that cannot be covered."
  • "They don't offer any backend database access. This is one limitation that I found in this product. Workday hasn't opened up about what kind of database they are into, which can make it easy for the technical team to emulate issues. It would be good if they can offer backend access to the technical team. It would be helpful if they can also provide a Troubleshooting Guide that we can use to troubleshoot issues. When we have an issue, there are very limited resources to refer to."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be cautious while selecting a product. Selecting the product is a crucial phase, and you have to know whether the product meets your requirements because you have really limited customization options in a cloud product. There is a great amount of support from Workday for implementation. There are also implementation partners in the market. I would rate Workday an eight out of ten.
EL
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The business process framework is excellent and the solution is very scalable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case will be different for each company, but we use it for HTM and reporting. We use it to consolidate your HR system into one source of data. That's generally why people want to implement Workday, so they can have one source of data for better collaboration and reporting and C-level reports, stats and things like that.

• "The solution is extremely stable."
  • "Setting up reports can be a bit tricky."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to make sure that they understand their requirements. They must have detailed process requirements, and if they see some gaps, they should identify those gaps up front. Workday can be flexible in this regard, so customers should understand what they need to do. On a scale of one to ten, my rating for this solution is a nine. In the next version I would like to see a simpler user interface to create reports.
RR
ServiceNow Solution Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Robust platform with good reporting and analytic capabilities, but it needs to be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use Workday for our employee onboarding and their entire lifecycle. We try to use certain aspects of Workday, such as currency management. For example, if they put in their expenses and they need to have them reimbursed, we use Workday. Before the onboarding process, they have the hiring process, then they enter the recruitment phase. Once the recruitment is complete in Workday, they have to create a profile for these employees in the system. The main data will always be in Workday. You are using it as a CRM.

• "The platform itself is very robust and I generally like the reporting and analytics capability."
  • "The UI, UX (user experience) is very bad. It is not very interactive."

What other advice do I have?

I am working with a product called ServiceNow, but we use Workday for some interfaces. We help with the integration and data from Workday. We are using Workday for our client's companies. Our company is part of Bitpro and we use our internal systems. The technical support needs to improve in reducing their wait time. If they have time, then I would suggest the look at ServiceNow. They have the platform to cater to other departments, from customer service to security or IT service management. If you don't have a large number of business requirements where you want to be complete within six…
NC
Independent Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good reporting, reliable, and scales well

What is our primary use case?

In different companies, I have used all of the core features. I have also used it for HR and worked with the recruiting functionality.

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of reporting."
  • "The implementation could have gone a little smoother."

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I recommend. I still think it's one of the better solutions that you're not paying for customization with. There are better products out there, but you have to customize them. Then, you're paying for increased costs with deliverables. You create a lot of spaghetti strings on customization, then you have to hire consultants to do the work. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
AmitRai
Senior Software Engineer at SOAIS
Good reporting with an interface that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to gather customer requirements and then generate reports, configuring BPs and other HCM related transection like Hiring, termination, job change, Name change etc.

• "The user interface is good and very easy to use."
  • "The security console should be made less complex."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first prepare the company so that Workday will best support the organization. You need to integrate it properly into the business. After that is the security configuration, which is the complex part. Moving to a cloud solution after using an on-premises solution has given me some difficulty because there is a gap. However, the user interface is easier to use. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 4 more Workday Reviews