WSO2 API Manager Overview

WSO2 API Manager is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Kong Enterprise: WSO2 API Manager vs Kong Enterprise

What is WSO2 API Manager?

WSO2 API Manager is an open source approach that addresses full API lifecycle management, monetization, and policy enforcement. It allows extensibility and customization, and ensures freedom from lock-in.

WSO2 API Manager is a unique open approach to full lifecycle API development, integration and management. As part of the larger WSO2 Integration Agile Platform, it is a central component used to deploy and manage API-driven ecosystems. It’s hybrid integration capabilities further simplify projects that span traditional as well as microservice environments. And unlike other API and lifecycle management products, it is fully open-source allowing for extensibility and customization.

WSO2 API Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the WSO2 API Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

WSO2 API Manager Customers

StubHub, Dialog

WSO2 API Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WSO2 API Manager pricing:
  • "We have not opted for the paid version of WSO2 but we have implemented the free and open source WSO2 software to a great extent and it is working as per our expectation."
  • "There is a subscription-based pricing structure and also the open-sourced version available."
  • "We use the open-source version — the free version."
  • "It's not expensive, but it could be cheaper."

WSO2 API Manager Reviews

Modupe Aladeojebi
Chief Technology Officer at Swifta Systems and Services
Aug 12, 2019
Good integrations abilities with well-detailed logs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to manage API, which is important to our business model and design of what we do as consultants. I found WSO2 (Web Services Oxygen Tank) was a platform that I could easily work on. All the building practices have to do with API, so when I needed a platform that could manage our API with flexibility, this was our best opportunity. It also leaves room for growth as a solution.

• "This is a flexible and versatile API management solution that has the power to integrate with more than just API."
  • "The interface needs to be modernized and made more user friendly so the product continues to have a growing community of users."

What other advice do I have?

Right now we are using only the main part of the product. It is an internal application only for deployment at our company at the moment. We haven't deployed the product across to clients for now because they will have to be very technical, and it is almost the nature of clients who use consultants that they may not always be the most technical or want to use difficult products. The experience we are building internally is something we do look forward to sharing. We do have one client who is considering the product. They want to use it similar to how we do as a local API, and we intend to…
PrashansaShukla
Software Engineer at Jio Platforms Limited
Jan 5, 2021
Easy to adopt and lets us extend functionality at any time

What is our primary use case?

I work as a software engineer on the WSO2 API management and WSO2 identity and access server, using version 2.6. At my company, Jio India, I have been one of the main people driving adoption of WSO2. In the beginning, we used WSO2 on virtual machines to handle the API and IAM requirements for more than 40 applications. Now we are currently in the process of migrating to WSO2 version 3 with Kubernetes as our orchestration system.

• "One of the great things about WSO2 API Manager is that it is so easy to adopt. And because it's an open source solution, we're able to extend the implementation any time to suit our company needs better."
  • "From a product perspective, the first thing is that although the documentation provided by WSO2 is good, it could be much better. We're in the middle of a complex migration, moving away from VMs to Kubernetes with the latest version of WSO2 and good documentation is essential to us right now."

What other advice do I have?

WSO2 API Manager is a good solution for enterprise API management and, even better, it is free to use the software. If you are doing complex implementations, however, it might benefit you to go with a paid license which will help when you discover any bugs or need extra support that the documentation cannot provide. I would rate WSO2 API Manager an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1234326
Business & Integration Architect Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 26, 2020
Open-source solution that's fully containerized and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

One of the main use cases for our organization is that we can use it as a digital integration hub. You can also use it as a base for a marketplace or open banking. We are using it for the enablement of a digital service or digital integration hub. We are helping small customers to digitalize their services. We select the best of these services and solutions and trying to deploy them in our platform and expose them to several different clients.

• "The solution is open-source."
  • "The stability is pretty good, but it could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I'm currently using the open-source version of the solution. We're evaluating 3.2.0. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight. If it offered better stability and more documentation, I'd rate it a bit higher.
reviewer1361130
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jan 24, 2021
Easy API lifecycle management, simple deployment and install, with great support

• "As far as I am aware this solution is the first API Publisher that allows you to create and publish API and to manage the API lifecycle."
  • "From what I have experienced from the versions I have tried, they could improve on the multi-tenant environments to allow some kind of SSO single sign-on between tenant."

What other advice do I have?

You have two options to choose when deciding what type of version you want to go with, the open-source or the subscription version. In a production environment, it is best to go with the subscription to make sure all the bugs are fixed. I recommend this solution to others. I rate WSO2 API Manager a nine out of ten.
Leonardo Ferreira
Software Architecture Leader at Edenred
Nov 25, 2020
Great API management, but there are better solutions available

What is our primary use case?

We use it along with IdentityServer, as our main API management tool for API exposure to the internet. It's not for internal usage, it's for external use. We have two main roles regarding WSO2 API Manager. There are the admins, who publish guides and user updates, etc — we employ around four people who perform this role. In terms of users, we have around five to six million users going through it on a monthly basis.

• "The main feature — the publication of the API, the management section — is great in general."
  • "I think they could greatly improve the general UX with their solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't actually recommend this to anyone. I think that there are paid solutions, such as Azure API Management, which will relieve you from the administrative burden. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this solution at all. On a scale from one to ten, I would give WSO2 a rating of seven. It's a good tool, but dealing with the on-premises infrastructure is a big headache.
Andrés Pastorini
IT Solutions Architect at Agesic
Dec 30, 2020
Provides all the required tools for a management solution.

What is our primary use case?

The principal things we use WSO2 API Manager for are to convert SOAP to Rest services, add security, and to provide more function for the administrators and to the developers. These are the main items. We now work with two versions which are in a test environment. We are using version 3.0 and version 3.2. It's very possible that the version that we will use in production will be 3.2. We can use WSO2 API Manager at IaaS and PaaS enviroments.

• "There are a lot of tools to help the manager. WSO2 is very easy to install. It has all the principal functionalities that you think about when you want to put up the management solution. It's a very friendly tool."
  • "I would like it to be a more stable solution. Maybe in the last version that is approved. For me it would be good if they had a community established version."

What other advice do I have?

Improve the possibility to migrate to different versions would be very good. It would also be good for integration withdifferents identity server to have more possibilities with other tools. On a scale of one to ten I would rate WSO2 API Manager an 8 because I think that the evolution of the product has a lot of differences between near versions. I would like it to be a more stable solution.
Xinxiao Li
Chief Specialist at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 12, 2020
Unifies our microservice and then publishes the service outside

What is our primary use case?

We use API Manager to publish our microservice for the public. We also use it because of its integrated functionality. We are researching many kinds of functions with WSO2, not only WSO2 management.

• "The most interesting feature is its Mac-based function."
  • "API Manager is not easy to scale because some of its components lack scalability. It's a difficult point. Especially because companies are so cloud-based these days, microservice scalability is a major thing."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product. I think WSO2 API Manager is good. I'd like to recommend the system to others. On a scale of one to ten I would rate WSO2 API Manager an eight.
Shridhar Sarnobat
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 11, 2021
A complete solution for designing and publishing with useful open-source features

What is our primary use case?

We're currently evaluating WSO2 API Manager and Kong for development environments and not production environments. We're currently using Apigee and AWS API Database for the production environments.

• "Its open-source features are very good, especially for your production work."
  • "They don't have different URLs for administrators."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it as I think it is good. On a scale from one to ten, I would give WSO2 API Manager an eight.
See 4 more WSO2 API Manager Reviews
Product Categories
API Management
Download our free WSO2 API Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.