SS
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A complete solution for designing and publishing with useful open-source features

• "Its open-source features are very good, especially for your production work."
  • "They don't have different URLs for administrators."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently evaluating WSO2 API Manager and Kong for development environments and not production environments. We're currently using Apigee and AWS API Database for the production environments.

What is most valuable?

Its open-source features are very good, especially for your production work. If your workload's still running in an on-premises environment, WSO2 is a good product.

I like a few WSO2 plugins we're using for routing, message request transformation, or response transformation. I also like the security encryption feature.

Another thing I like about WSO2 is the nice training and tutorials they have on their website. They have my type of training on their website for API gateway and open banking. They're all self-based training, and you can go to those training pages or videos and learn in your free time.

What needs improvement?

They don't have different URLs for administrators. They should have one in place like Kong. For example, Kong has Konga as an administrative URL, where everything is available in one place for submissions and subscribers. But with WSO2, they have exposed it on a different port, and if I want to publish, I have to open a different URL with a different port for publishers and subscribers. It'll help if they can combine it on one port. WSO2 API Manager could also be somewhat cheaper.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for more than one or two months.

It looks like a stable product.

WSO2 API Manager is a scalable solution.

WSO2 is the first open-source solution we're trying out. But we're still using Apigee from Google and AWS API Database from Amazon.

The initial setup is straightforward, and not much effort is required for installation. It's simple.

We implemented it by ourselves. It took about two people to set up and deploy.

It's not expensive, but it could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it as I think it is good.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give WSO2 API Manager an eight.

ZP
Integration Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A simple solution with good API management lifecycle, but needs better support and the ability to write orchestrations

• "API management lifecycle is the most valuable."
  • "I would like it to be a more convenient development platform with the ability to write orchestrations and so on. Our problem with this product is that in my country, we are the only enterprise that has been using this product. We're missing a lot of knowledge from colleagues to consult with, and we also aren't able to recruit people with relevant skills. It is a big problem. The small team that is maintaining this product is the only team that can actually relate to any technical issue. The support that we're getting from the company is not great. There is also a cultural gap there because they're from Sri Lanka, and it is not easy. They're putting in a lot of effort, but they are not meeting our expectations."

What is our primary use case?

It is basically used for the integration of applications inside the organization and also for business partners outside the organization.

What is most valuable?

API management lifecycle is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be a more convenient development platform with the ability to write orchestrations and so on.

Our problem with this product is that in my country, we are the only enterprise that has been using this product. We're missing a lot of knowledge from colleagues to consult with, and we also aren't able to recruit people with relevant skills. It is a big problem. The small team that is maintaining this product is the only team that can actually relate to any technical issue. The support that we're getting from the company is not great. There is also a cultural gap there because they're from Sri Lanka, and it is not easy. They're putting in a lot of effort, but they are not meeting our expectations.

I have been using this solution for three years. I have used it in production for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have a few dozen users.

The support that we're getting from the company is not great.

It was pretty straightforward. The deployment took a couple of weeks.

We had a reseller who is not an integrator. So, we basically did everything in-house.

We only did it in a very superficial way. We didn't really evaluate.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you're looking for a simple and straightforward solution, it is probably a good idea, but if you're looking for a more advanced option, then you should go for some other solution.

I would rate WSO2 API Manager a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AG
Product Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly customizable, beneficial models, and scalable

• "I think the best part about WSO2 API Manager is that it's highly customizable because it's open-source. The partnership model is quite lucrative for us, it helps us to go and pitch to our customers. You can build a lot of business models yourself that you want to use. You are able to do a lot of the solutions."
  • "The user interface needs to improve, it is a bit outdated."

What is our primary use case?

WSO2 API Manager is a complete platform for managing APIs.

What is most valuable?

I think the best part about WSO2 API Manager is that it's highly customizable because it's open-source. The partnership model is quite lucrative for us, it helps us to go and pitch to our customers. You can build a lot of business models yourself that you want to use. You are able to do a lot of the solutions.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to improve, it is a bit outdated.

There is an Affiliate Marketing monetization in Google Apigee that you would like to use in this solution but is not available. We end up having to build an alternative to get the job done. This feature should be added to this solution.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for approximately four months.

The solution is scalable, my clients have been happy.

Most of my customers are enterprise-sized companies.

The support system is not that great. The number of employees in the organization is perhaps too little that is providing training. This causes some problems.

I am working with Google Apigee and it is quite nice, but it's a bit expensive for the customers. Otherwise, Google Apigee has a lot of different features that the WSO2 API Manager doesn't provide.

The installation is quite easy, the full implementation takes approximately three months.

I think the other competitors that are providing the same solution are quite expensive. WSO2 API Manager is quite cheap.

What other advice do I have?

WSO2 API Manager is very good for small and medium companies, but if you have an enterprise-level company, Google Apigee might be a better choice.

I rate WSO2 API Manager an eight out of ten.

SK
Lead Business Analyst at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up and it offers a good user experience

What is most valuable?

The user experience is what is most valuable to me. It's very scalable, which is one of the best features.

What needs improvement?

Integration is an area that needs to be improved. In the next release, I would like to see a suite of applications, from other providers. They have many features that should be integrated to be a part of the WSO2 API Manager.

I have been working with this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a very scalable application. We have approximately 100 users in the organization.

I am satisfied with technical…

What is most valuable?

The user experience is what is most valuable to me.

It's very scalable, which is one of the best features.

What needs improvement?

Integration is an area that needs to be improved.

I have been working with this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a very scalable application.

We have approximately 100 users in the organization.

I am satisfied with technical support.

Previously we were using in-house products.

The initial setup is straightforward, it's easy.

Deployment is complete within hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

Arcangelo Di Balsamo
CTO Cloud Division at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Superior integration, user friendly, and helpful customer service

• "This solution is a little bit faster, easier to use, and has better integration than the other solutions I have experienced."
  • "The solution could be more user friendly for engineers."

What is most valuable?

For basic operations, I do not see too many differences between the other vendors. They all have similar features such as analytics and cloud links. This solution is a little bit faster, easier to use, and has better integration than the other solutions I have experienced. Additionally, If you want to build a newer EDI code, you can transport this data, it is quite a usable product.

What needs improvement?

The user interface provides all functionalities to configure and manage the product, however its usability, espacially for first-time users, is a little bit "rough" compared to the UI of other commercial API Managers

I have been using the solution for approximately seven months.

The solution is stable.

The customer service was not a problem. We had a quick question regarding the implementation of the certificate. They handled the inquiry very well and we received an answer.

What other advice do I have?

I rate WSO2 API Manager a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free WSO2 API Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.