Yammer Overview

Yammer is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Workplace by Facebook: Yammer vs Workplace by Facebook

What is Yammer?

Yammer is an enterprise social network that allows employees,managers, executives, teams and different office branches to engage,collaborate and innovate over one interactive virtual network.

Yammer creates a social workplace that drives innovationthrough the sharing of ideas and business intelligence, boosts productivity inteams and projects, and encourages communication and connectivity betweenemployees, no matter where they are located.

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Yammer Customers

Verizon, Rakuten,Nationwide, DHL, Westfield, Telefonica, 7-Eleven, Red Robin, Intuit, eBay,Darden, Suncorp, Tyco, Xerox, and ModCloth.

Yammer Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

CP
CIO Corporate at Parmalat S.p.A.
improves communication, especially among people in different countries

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is for workgroups. We already have some in place. Yammer is quite good.

• "Valuable features include the integration with Microsoft Office and the fact that it is in the cloud. Also, it's quite easy to use."
  • "I would like to see a fancier user interface. That is one of the weak points of Yammer."
  • "Users need to be in the Acting Directory to exploit the features."

What other advice do I have?

Look closely at the Office 365 context you are in, and be sure that the accessibility or the availability of the system will be spread as much as possible throughout the organization. I would rate Yammer at eight out of 10 because it's good, it works, it's reasonably easy to use. But, again, the weak point would be that the user interface is not as fancy as people are used to having, like when using social networks. It is less social network-oriented than Facebook, for instance, in terms of ease of use and user interface. And again, there is the point that users need to be in the Acting…
Web and Intranet Content Management Advisor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can join networks outside of the organization

What other advice do I have?

Undertake a small trial before rolling it out to an enterprise. This will help build interest. Don't attempt to control what gets posted, apart from the usual ethical/legal guidelines and rules.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Facebook, Salesforce and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: April 2021.
502,275 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Tech. Communication at a media company with 51-200 employees
Easy to join groups of interest and keep up-to-date with the relevant topics. You can only search by words or person and cannot filter by person.

What other advice do I have?

It is okay as a company initiative, but it can be bypassed as some teams move to other options like Slack.
YD
Senior Industry Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Increased collaboration between geographically distributed teams, good way to share files and videos on topics of common interest

What other advice do I have?

Create a good governance mechanism and be weary of group/community explosion in the initial fad days. Need to ensure duplicate groups are not created.
SO
IT Consultant with 201-500 employees
You can create groups that are public or private for specific users. I would like to see it integrate with Microsoft's Lync for video conferencing,

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Yammer to new users.
Infrastructure Tech III Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees

What other advice do I have?

Here are just a few benefits of Yammer Closes Gap between Management and Customer facing employees Lean process improvements and quality control are built into Yammer Instant process improvements Built in quality controls Removes redundancy in daily workflows Continuous improvement is built in Every user streamlines daily workflows with specific people/orgs they interact with. Users adapt and change dynamically as initiatives and daily work flows change.
Senior Manager of File Services and Clustering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Allows everyone within the organization to have a voice.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a business that has Office 365, then utilizing Yammer should be a no-brainer. I'd recommend allowing users to create groups as they see fit, but it may be worth setting up the naming and branding standards when doing so. This ensures, that regardless of where the users go on Yammer, they'll have similar experiences across all the groups.
Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It breaks down the silos of communication in organizations.

What other advice do I have?

You need an upper-level management buy-in and a good communication plan for end users to make this successful.
Executive Director of Student Life at a non-tech company
We use it for building communities and for improving communication.

What is most valuable?

I have found it to be a good tool for building communities and for improving communication. I love the ability to create public and private groups, moderate comments, and export messages.

How has it helped my organization?

Yammer allowed our institution to engage many of our online students all over the world.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps keep working on the integration of other Office products.

I have been using this since 2014.
Software Developer - Java at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Being able to tag another user is valuable when you want them to see your post. There needs to be an "Edit" functionality for posts and replies.

What other advice do I have?

Split your functional teams into Yammer groups. If those teams have small groups within them, then give them their own Yammer group too.
Senior Consultant, Business Analysis at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Provides group conversation and document sharing capabilities. When documents are uploaded, there is no way to add metadata.

What other advice do I have?

* It is all about creating a strong culture from the leadership down, where collaborating and sharing on Yammer is encouraged. * Adoption will be the key between success and failure of the Yammer network uptake and usefulness. * It also needs someone to manage it and encourage positive sharing, whilst monitoring usage.
Global Communications Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
People from around the world can share posts, create polls, and make group announcements. I want more control over the all network feed.

What other advice do I have?

First consider whether you plan to purchase a license. If not, then I'd look into other software to suit your needs. If, however, you are investing in Microsoft software for your business, then Yammer is a great product. Really understand what you need in terms of socially connecting your people and teams. If your teams are spread across a country or around the world, this is a great way of connecting everyone together. Make sure you invest a bit of time to train, guide, and build up a solid and competent community manager network.
IT Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We use targeted notifications to communicate outages and maintenance windows.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a Microsoft Shop, then Yammer has the potential to tie up with SharePoint and address a lot of the enterprise needs, in terms of messaging and content management.
PM - Management Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Has the ability to collaborate via group pages/sites. It needs better integration with other products.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have at least 1000 licenses so you have a large enough user group to pilot the product.
Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is the mobile app. Integration with other products is still weak.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a business collaborative tool, start with Yammer today.
JW
Sharepoint Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We can reach engage with co-workers in a less corporate structure.

What other advice do I have?

Have a Yam Jam or other type of exciting event to get user adoption rates up with give aways or other special incentives for signing up, posting, and adding information.
Enterprise Social Consultant, Collaboration Services at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
The public sharing of knowledge and answers to questions has been the most valuable feature.
Sr. Application Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Allows users in different teams to interact in real time. There needs to be access to a channel, without the need to sign in.

What other advice do I have?

* Test with users * Know your use case * Get management support for use case
Senior Engagement Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables idea sharing through the idea crowdsourcing features.

What other advice do I have?

Find a core purpose for it so employees know why they are using it.
Communications Specialist at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Enables knowledge sharing, internal communication, and collaboration between teams.

What other advice do I have?

You will need a strategy on how to bring people on board. For example, you can use short trainings/webinars to explain the importance of the tool and how to do the basics. Before all of that, the management has to believe in it and agree to use it.
Partner - Digital People Practice at Digital Works Group
A tool to develop online communities. The user experience could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Research the market. There are more interesting products out there that have better UX and are more interactive and engaging.
Head of People Operations at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Enables internal communication between different countries and locations.

What other advice do I have?

You should exchange experiences with other companies who have implemented this solution. You might also participate in the Yammer Community Manager training as well. However, the exact way to launch Yammer depends on the needs of the organization.
Head of IS/IT Communication, Global Information Technology at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables you to create a group or community. It is hard to search for a specific group relevant to my interest.

What other advice do I have?

Yammer is suitable for an organization that has many branches or offices. Most of the users are already familiar with social media communication. The application is useful to virtually make friends and to share information/experiences. However, the company needs to set and educate the usage policy. This is a system for an organization and not for fun.
Human Resource/Digital Experience Applications Leader at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Allows cross-functional discussions across business groups.

What other advice do I have?

This is an excellent choice if you have made the investment into Office 365. Announcement of teams should offer even better functionality. If you are not an Office 365 shop, then there are probably better options (i.e., Slack, Facebook for Work).
IT Business Analyst for Sales Enablement with 1,001-5,000 employees
Secure collaboration environment for crowdsourcing knowledge

What other advice do I have?

Go for it, especially if you are a Microsoft shop.
Service Catalog Manager at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows communication with a global audience. I would like to see more functionality and more integration with other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great communication tool, but if you have too many ways to communicate, then this may be a burden. It is also difficult with users who are already using Facebook, LinkedIn, Skype for Business, SharePoint, Twitter, etc.
Associate Director, AIA Edge at AIA
All parts of the organisation can share ideas and best practices.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the limitations and embrace them.
Business Analyst at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
You can choose not to follow conversations once your inputs have been received.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to decide why your organisational culture will benefit from social enterprise. Let your workforce know that it is coming, communicate your organisational vision for it, and have a launch plan, training, champions and encouragement.
Lync and Yammer
Over the past couple of years I’ve been working with SharePoint at various sites, and more recently with Lync and Yammer. Now these are two products that mainframers may not be that familiar with and I thought people might be interested to know more. Microsoft Lync was called Microsoft Office Communicator. It’s an Instant Messaging client – like MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger – that can be used either with Microsoft Lync Server or Lync Online, which is available with Microsoft Office 365. In fact it is an up-to-date version of Windows Messenger which was used with Microsoft Exchange Server. As well as running on PCs, Lync 2010 has Windows Phone, Android, and iOS apps. Lync provides instant messaging, Voice Over IP, and video conferencing facilities, and uses Microsoft Outlook contacts…
Owner with 51-200 employees
Do You Use Yammer at Work? And Why Not SharePoint?
There was a question a while back on the Microsoft MVPs LinkedIn group (YAFSN! – see below) wondering “Do you use Yammer at work?” I’m still trying to figure out how much I want to use Yammer. As when Google+ came out, I’m trying it. I pretty much abandoned G+, and Yammer may well go the same way for most things. I got into Yammer via an invitation into SPYam from Bjørn Furuknap with my USPJA email address. Now I’m trapped into that identity for SPYam (the network for SharePoint discussions that Joel Oleson set up – ping me if you’d like an invitation) but have to use my work email address to access the SharePoint MVP network into which Microsoft has seemingly decided to move all communications. That tying of one’s identity to a single email domain (it seems you can’t combine domains…
Owner with 51-200 employees
Alternatives to Yammer exist, but it can be very useful within an organization to help with communication
I’ve been to a few companies recently that have been using Yammer as a business tool. If you’ve got offices that are spread out, or if your workforce aren’t usually in the office, then it provides an easy way for people to be able to share things – like comments, documents, or images. And you can form groups so discussions, that are only relevant to a small group of people, stay within that small group or team. Yammer started life in 2008 and was bought by Microsoft in 2012. It’s described as an enterprise social network. That means it’s not a public social network like Facebook, it’s for internal communication between members of an organization or group. It’s free, it’s very easy to use (if you’ve ever used Facebook), and it provides a private and…
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Empowering environment, which needs a strategy. A sponsor, time and tenacity to transform the way we work successfully.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to business to understand how it can help them, get an executive sponsor (the higher is the better), be open for discussion as there will be a lot of skepticism and opponents essentially around two subjects: "Email is prime and I don't want a new channel of information" and "I'm not used to social spirit and tools." What is key: find what use they will love.
Business Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
To Yammer or not to Yammer – can we guarantee success with enterprise social tools?
I’m very keen on the idea of the enterprise social network Yammer and what it could mean for internal business communication. I visualise a time when our interstate frontline staff are discussing the pros and cons of a new business initiative with our senior managers at Head Office. When the CEO spots a game-changing idea from a new employee during his daily check of the site. When our sales teams are reporting back from the field, creating excitement about wins as they happen. But enterprise social tools like Yammer are not like our traditional internal communication tools: - We don’t control the message. - We can’t force people to get involved - and success relies on interaction. - We can’t guarantee success. It’s actually pretty scary. I know of plenty of organisations that…
Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Using Yammer Internally- guideliness and governance
I have had a love hate relationship with Yammer. There are indeed both guidelines and governance in play. Most of the processes in place are concerned about ensuring client confidentiality and compliance rather than expected use. For internal comms Yammer was being used as another channel to reach employees, however how they used Yammer was and is still maturing. Initially it was used to republish content that was already available through the Intranet, however this has now changed to one where they are more active in engaging in dialogue and supporting leaders in getting their message out (for example helping to host Yammer sessions). It has been a powerful tool, and one thing that I think it does very well is to empower employees from across the organization to contribute content and…
Developer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Yammer and SharePoint
We use both SharePoint and Yammer at work. Yammer works well at our 26,000 employee firm. It’s not perfect, but it provides a semi-private environment for meeting people and conversing across many different teams, something that hasn’t been as easy to do in SharePoint by itself. It doesn’t replace entirely what SharePoint does nor does it replicate other public social networks. It’s a complement to the other platforms we all use.
Marketing at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Yammer – don’t worry about it, just do it
About three months ago we took the decision to introduce Yammer across Wakefield Council. A few of us had tried it out for a while, and once we’d convinced colleagues that there were genuine benefits and that using it wouldn’t lead to widespread negativity it was launched to the rest of the staff with online access. For those who haven’t used it, Yammer is a free to use internal social network, that in our case only those whose email address ends in @wakefield.gov.uk can use. If you research it you’ll be told of numerous professional benefits, including sharing links, requesting answers to work issues, and bringing people together who don’t normally get to see each other. These are all true, but so far it is probably the latter that has been most prominent on a professional level,…
Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It certainly appears to be the best of this growing group of internal micro-blogging tool
As one of Yammer's first paying customers (albeit not in HE) I have quite a lot of experience with it. In general, it certainly appears to be the best of this growing group of internal micro-blogging tools. It's free for any size of network (as long as you don't need the additional security features). I saw our network grow very, very fast organically – but there comes a point where it has to 'cross the chasm' in order to become a valuable business tool for everybody. And that's where the rubber hits the road, because – just like any other tool, system or process – it then needs management support, proper communication, use cases, and people who look after the community that it creates. So, my take would be: trial it (it won't cost you anything), but don't expect it to have any…
Developer with 51-200 employees
Yammer vs. SP Social in 2013
There are several discussions on SharePoint’s social strategy going on at the moment. I had some great discussions with my MVP mate Adis during Summit last week. Since #SPC12 almost every SharePoint addicted developer, it-pro, power user has reviewed Yammer. If you don’t know what Yammer is, here a short introduction. Yammer is an enterprise social network, which allows you and your coworkers to communicate in a modern way as on Facebook. The huge difference between Facebook and Yammer is, Yammer is private. That means only people from your organization or the people you’ve invited to join your network can see and take part of the conversation which is going on in your Yammer network. With the common understanding of Yammer, you should be able to follow up the ongoing discussions. Adis…
Architect at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Not as feature-rich as Jive, but strikingly intuitive ease of use and a much lower cost.
Product Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and widely adopted in our organization. Improvements could be made in the delayed messaging.

Valuable Features:

This product is very easy to use, and has been widely and easily adopted.

Room for Improvement:

I think that improvements could be seen in the delayed messaging, but other than, it's great!
Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
A fine platform for workplace and organizational collaboration
Product Categories
Enterprise Social Software
Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Facebook, Salesforce, and more!