Yammer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Yammer is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Workplace by Facebook: Yammer vs Workplace by Facebook

What is Yammer?

Yammer is an enterprise social network that allows employees,managers, executives, teams and different office branches to engage,collaborate and innovate over one interactive virtual network.

Yammer creates a social workplace that drives innovationthrough the sharing of ideas and business intelligence, boosts productivity inteams and projects, and encourages communication and connectivity betweenemployees, no matter where they are located.

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Yammer Customers

Verizon, Rakuten,Nationwide, DHL, Westfield, Telefonica, 7-Eleven, Red Robin, Intuit, eBay,Darden, Suncorp, Tyco, Xerox, and ModCloth.

Yammer Video

Archived Yammer Reviews (more than two years old)

SK
General Manager: Internal Communication at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well with Teams but cannot stream on its own

• "The integration with Teams is the biggest value for us. In fact, it has only become more valuable now that it has integration with Teams. Teams allows you to stream, so that's good."
  • "The solution must be able to stream by itself, without integration, the same way that you are able to do it on Facebook Live, Instagram, etc. Streaming must be embedded into it."

What is most valuable?

The integration with Teams is the biggest value for us. In fact, it has only become more valuable now that it has integration with Teams. Teams allows you to stream, so that's good.

What needs improvement?

The solution must be able to stream by itself, without integration, the same way that you are able to do it on Facebook Live, Instagram, etc. Streaming must be embedded into it.

The ability to just be live, I think is very important. You don't want to leave the app to go live. You want to be able to just go live within the app. So I think that their internet streaming ability would be a very good feature to add.

We've been using this solution for about two years.

What other advice do I have?

I'll give it a six out of ten because I'm comparing it to what's out there. It's not the best solution out there. It doesn't compare well to the new tools that are in the market. It's not the best, but it's getting there.

RH
Responsable des Systèmes d'Information at AEBDM
Good for communication and setting up meetings, but it needs better Microsoft cloud integration

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the communication events."
  • "This solution would be improved if it was well integrated with other communication applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators, and we use this solution in our group for social networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the communication events. We can set up meetings and events.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see secure communication channels for our group.

This solution needs to be integrated with the Microsoft Cloud.

We have been using this solution for between three and five years.

We have a lot of applications for communication, including WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram. In the future, I think that we need to have only one application for communication.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Facebook, Salesforce and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CP
CIO Corporate at Parmalat S.p.A.
improves communication, especially among people in different countries

• "Valuable features include the integration with Microsoft Office and the fact that it is in the cloud. Also, it's quite easy to use."
  • "I would like to see a fancier user interface. That is one of the weak points of Yammer."
  • "Users need to be in the Acting Directory to exploit the features."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is for workgroups. We already have some in place. Yammer is quite good.

How has it helped my organization?

Users can access their own workgroups and it improves the communication among people, particularly people who have the same task to perform in different locations, in different countries.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Microsoft Office and the fact that it is in the cloud. Also, it's quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I haven't had any complaints from users about the availability of the system.

Scalability is good. The only point of concern we have is that you need to be registered in Active Directory, and that can limit usage. But apart from that, I think that we can grow with no particular issues.

As far as I know, we have not had any requests for support. We are able to manage it internally. I don't have any open requests for external support. However, I'm not the person who manages it.

We didn't use any workgroup tool before Yammer. We adopted Yammer because it was included in the Office 365 toolset.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor, apart from the product being easy to use, accessible, cloud-based, include security - that is another big and important criterion for us - and, finally, the ability to reach people who are not in our Active Directory domain.

The initial setup was not that easy because of managing the tenant in Office 365. The migration to that tenant for countries that are not in the same domain was not easy, the domain synchronization. Managing the forest of different domains was not as simple as expected.

Specifically, my search was related to a tool for employees to communicate to all employees; not really for work-grouping, but more related to one-way communication, top-down, from the HR people to the employees. The point is how to reach people which are not IT or IS users. Not all our employees are IT users and we need to communicate with them through their own devices, typically their smartphones.

Yammer and Facebook were the only choices on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

Look closely at the Office 365 context you are in, and be sure that the accessibility or the availability of the system will be spread as much as possible throughout the organization.

I would rate Yammer at eight out of 10 because it's good, it works, it's reasonably easy to use. But, again, the weak point would be that the user interface is not as fancy as people are used to having, like when using social networks. It is less social network-oriented than Facebook, for instance, in terms of ease of use and user interface. And again, there is the point that users need to be in the Acting Directory to exploit the features.

Web and Intranet Content Management Advisor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can join networks outside of the organization

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and the ability to join networks outside of the organization. These are valuable to drive adoption and to collaborate, be informed of events, and developments in related organizations.

How has it helped my organization?

We have set Yammer up inside IFrames that appear on our intranet home page, most content pages, and in all-team sites. This has enabled us to cater to large and very small audiences where they interact and not require a separate application or login.

What needs improvement?

The ability to edit replies to previous posts or answers would be useful. Navigation to different Yammer Groups could be improved. Navigation to external groups could be better integrated to reduce clicks. This is a minor annoyance only.

We have been using this for four years.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

No external support has been needed from the vendor. Online help and community support has been enough.

Apart from chat programs and discussion lists (e.g., SharePoint, MS Lync, and IBM Sametime), there hasn't been a similar product I've used at work previously.

The installation was very simple. Just follow the prompts and the setup help.

I haven't been involved with licensing issues.

This was installed when I joined this company.

What other advice do I have?

Undertake a small trial before rolling it out to an enterprise. This will help build interest. Don't attempt to control what gets posted, apart from the usual ethical/legal guidelines and rules.

Head of Tech. Communication at a media company with 51-200 employees
Easy to join groups of interest and keep up-to-date with the relevant topics. You can only search by words or person and cannot filter by person.

What is most valuable?

Messaging and groups are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to join groups of interest and keep up-to-date with the relevant topics.

What needs improvement?

You can only search by words or person, you cannot filter by person plus terms, date, etc. If you are looking for a message that was posted by a certain person two months ago, you will have to scroll back through all of their posts to find it. Thus, the "search" feature needs to improve.

There were no stability issues.

The technical support seemed okay. I was not really involved, but from my perspective as a user, it seemed like any technical support which was required was available. The Yammer portal/service had very few outages.

Previously, we were using the company's intranet and emails. Switched to this solution in the hope of better visibility and employee involvement.

What other advice do I have?

It is okay as a company initiative, but it can be bypassed as some teams move to other options like Slack.

YD
Senior Industry Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Increased collaboration between geographically distributed teams, good way to share files and videos on topics of common interest

What is most valuable?

• Ease of creating groups
  • Simple but good user experience on mobile
  • Ability to adaptively stream videos inline in the wall
  • Ability to track foul words

How has it helped my organization?

• Increased collaboration between geographically distributed teams.
  • Good way to share files and videos on topics of common interest.

What needs improvement?

Cannot import/invite bulk users from an active directory security group.

Two years.

No issues.

No issues.

Not interfaced with the support team.

Used Jive, but switched as Yammer became bundled with Office 365 at no additional cost.

Not involved in admin activities/setup, hence I cannot comment.

Cannot comment, as I do not have this info.

Jive and SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

Create a good governance mechanism and be weary of group/community explosion in the initial fad days. Need to ensure duplicate groups are not created.

SO
IT Consultant with 201-500 employees
You can create groups that are public or private for specific users. I would like to see it integrate with Microsoft's Lync for video conferencing,

What is most valuable?

My organization makes more use of Office 365 Groups rather than Yammer.

Yammer is a good collaboration tool for the entire organization. You can create groups that are public or private for specific users.

What needs improvement?

There is a need for full integration with the other features of Office 365.

Office 365 uses Outlook for the messaging box but Yammer has it own messaging box. Searching in Yammer is restricted to its own messaging box. The Outlook box can still be accessed offline.

I would like to see Microsoft's Lync integrated with Yammer for video conferencing.

There were no scalability issues.

Office 365 Groups is well-integrated with the other features of Office 365, especially SharePoint.

The setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Yammer to new users.

Infrastructure Tech III Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Every user streamlines daily workflows with specific people/orgs they interact with. Users adapt and change dynamically as initiatives and daily work flows change.

What is most valuable?

Streamlining departmental workflow with built in QC. Here are only a few use cases:

for Human Resources:

Company wide announcements

Company FAQ / Policy and Procedures

Company Polling

Forms Repository

New Hire Orientation – Group Communication/Documentation

Training Videos

for IT departments:

Very useful client side, remote site, managing projects/rollouts or in the server room.

Yammer can be accessed from hand held devices as a traveling KB for staff.

Help Desk personnel and Engineers can access software in remote locations.

Personnel can update projects directly from their mobile devices providing real time status updates.

Tenant disk space is not effected - archiving files

Software Deployment / File storage

Help Desk FAQs – Rapid Response

How has it helped my organization?

Real time project tracking,

Managers can look into conversations and see employees pain points.

Built in Quality control and some Lean Enterprise tact

Users can self organize and collaborate quickly

Document control - Used as a doc repository..

I can go on and on with valuable uses.

going on 2 years

Straightforward. But to understand all options in the portal a little bit of reading is required..

I Implemented for numerous orgs.

Ongoing.

What other advice do I have?

Here are just a few benefits of Yammer

Closes Gap between Management and Customer facing employees

Lean process improvements and quality control are built into Yammer

Instant process improvements

Built in quality controls

Removes redundancy in daily workflows

Continuous improvement is built in

it_user685317
Senior Manager of File Services and Clustering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Allows everyone within the organization to have a voice.

What is most valuable?

The ability to easily communicate and engage with the entire organization is my favorite feature, as it allows everyone within the organization to have a voice.

How has it helped my organization?

It is especially valuable for multi-site and multi-region organizations. It allows for input, feedback, and discourse regardless of where the users are.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the customization and administration aspects of the product. Being able to edit posts with a revision history is a long sought-after feature.

I have used this solution for five years.

I have never experienced any major stability issues.

As the product is a hosted solution, the scalability from an infrastructure perspective in non-existent. However, there can be some hiccups in scaling the usage to different sites or regions, i.e., if they do not know how to best use and harness the power of Yammer.

The technical support is outstanding, and the Yammer team is open and responsive on issues, feedback, and suggestions.

Prior to Yammer, the go-to collaboration for the enterprise was generally SharePoint team sites.

The product is bundled with all the Office 365 levels, and is an invaluable part of the package.

We looked at other solutions including HipChat, Campfire and Teambox.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a business that has Office 365, then utilizing Yammer should be a no-brainer. I'd recommend allowing users to create groups as they see fit, but it may be worth setting up the naming and branding standards when doing so. This ensures, that regardless of where the users go on Yammer, they'll have similar experiences across all the groups.

Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It breaks down the silos of communication in organizations.

What is most valuable?

Collaboration and the integration with O365. There are so many features, everything you could ever want, which is great for team collaboration.

How has it helped my organization?

It breaks down the silos of communication in organizations.

What needs improvement?

It just needs a more defined roadmap. Yammer is part of O365 and the whole platform is ever evolving, and new features show up sometimes unannounced, and you don't find out until one of your end users mentions it.

We have been using the solution for over five years.

We did not have any issues with stability.

We definitely did not have any issues with scalability.

We didn't use any other solutions previously, other than Facebook or Twitter.

The setup is extremely easy.

Pricing is part of the O365 subscription.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

You need an upper-level management buy-in and a good communication plan for end users to make this successful.

Ted Whitney
Executive Director of Student Life at a non-tech company
We use it for building communities and for improving communication.

What is most valuable?

I have found it to be a good tool for building communities and for improving communication. I love the ability to create public and private groups, moderate comments, and export messages.

How has it helped my organization?

Yammer allowed our institution to engage many of our online students all over the world.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps keep working on the integration of other Office products.

I have been using this since 2014.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Perhaps keep working on the integration of other Office products.

I have been using this since 2014.

it_user643641
Software Developer - Java at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Being able to tag another user is valuable when you want them to see your post. There needs to be an "Edit" functionality for posts and replies.

What is most valuable?

Being able to tag another user is valuable when you want them to see your post. As a developer, I have to work and coordinate with various other teams and business areas. Being able to tag another user from those areas allows me to provide transparency with my work.

How has it helped my organization?

Yammer has allowed the entire company to be able to communicate with each other when the company has internal employees from all over the world. It allows us to provide transparency on projects and everyday happenings.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be an "Edit" functionality for posts and replies because grammar and spelling mistakes do happen. Sometimes they aren't caught until after posting.

I have been using this solution since I started my current position as a software engineer about two years ago.

Yammer has been fairly stable. I've only experienced a few downtimes in all the time I've been using it.

Since we use this through Office 365, scalability doesn't apply on our end.

Our Help Desk is the contact point with their technical support. The tech support does seem to be fairly responsive to our questions and downtimes.

This was implemented before I arrived at the company.

Most of the development teams have been moved to Confluence and Slack, but they still use Yammer.

What other advice do I have?

Split your functional teams into Yammer groups. If those teams have small groups within them, then give them their own Yammer group too.

it_user647430
Senior Consultant, Business Analysis at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides group conversation and document sharing capabilities. When documents are uploaded, there is no way to add metadata.

What is most valuable?

This product was intended to be a corporate social network, but it serves many purposes to different people.

• In our organization, we have groups dedicated to outside interests like Formula 1, exciting innovations, internal projects, client projects, and knowledge sharing communities of practice.
  • The groups enable group discussion on a large scale without polluting my email inbox. I can access it at my own pace, in my own time.
  • I use Yammer to learn from others and to get access to the wealth of knowledge in our organization.
  • Primarily, the group conversations and document sharing capabilities are what we use. Some people have not adopted it, so it is only as useful as the information available, based on the user base.
  • It can be a really useful tool to avoid duplication of effort where others share things that they have done before.
  • I would say the network and reach you get with this tool is what makes it great. I get answers from people I don't know and have never met. However, I get to learn from them and 'virtually' meet them, broadening my own network.

How has it helped my organization?

Productivity can be increased as colleagues from across the world share their knowledge and experiences, reducing the need to create deliverables that may have been previously created.

It also broadens the network of an employee and gives them opportunities to learn from people in the same field. Those people would not normally be known to them and they would not have met them or gained that knowledge, without a collaborative conversation tool like Yammer.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is fine, in that it serves a purpose. The issue is in the adoption.

• Employees need to be trained on how to use it, and to understand its benefits to encourage more adoption.
  • Without people using the tool, email traffic increases. The knowledge sharing is limited to people who they know in their local communities.
  • In addition, Yammer is just one of many tools Microsoft has for collaboration. Knowing which tool to use can be daunting.
  • With the release of teams and groups, Yammer is losing its purpose slightly.
  • I think that my rating is really around the usefulness of the product.
  • In terms of how it works as a collaborative tool, it is probably a 4. My issues with Yammer are mostly around the fact that Microsoft has included it with Office 365, but they haven't integrated it with all of their other tools.
  • The user profile is separate to the one on Delve and it has to be maintained separately.
  • When documents are uploaded to Yammer, there is no way to add metadata to it.
  • Documents are not stored in an associated SharePoint site, so it is separate to the document management solutions we have with SharePoint.
  • It is disjointed and Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing much more to integrate it. They are spending more time integrating teams instead.

I have used Yammer since 2011/2012.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues. However, the larger the organization and the less the adoption, the less value you get out of the tool.

There was no tool that I used which served the same purpose. I think SharePoint had a social wall feed, which was similar on team sites, but this wasn't well adopted. Some more technical teams used Slack.

There was no setup required when it came about. It was a case of going onto the website and signing up with your corporate email and creating a password.

Initial issues stemmed from the first person in the organization signing up, thereby becoming the network admin. This has changed now with Microsoft acquiring Yammer. It has become part of the Office 365 offering and security is much more managed.

All users get access through their corporation if they use Office 365.

We didn’t look at alternatives. It was a free tool initially and now forms part of the Office 365 offering at all licensing levels.

What other advice do I have?

• It is all about creating a strong culture from the leadership down, where collaborating and sharing on Yammer is encouraged.
  • Adoption will be the key between success and failure of the Yammer network uptake and usefulness.
  • It also needs someone to manage it and encourage positive sharing, whilst monitoring usage.
it_user651843
Global Communications Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
People from around the world can share posts, create polls, and make group announcements. I want more control over the all network feed.

What is most valuable?

The ability for people from anywhere around the world, from any team, to connect and share their posts in groups, create polls, make group announcements, and provide feedback and recognition posts.

How has it helped my organization?

• In its simplicity, it has given our people across our organization and around the world a voice
  • Helped people to network, ask questions, and get answers
  • Helped people to share activity and best practices
  • Segments liked-minded people together
  • Creates engagement
  • Allows people to give feedback and improve our culture

What needs improvement?

It's constantly evolving and Microsoft allows users to suggest ideas to improve.

There's always going to be room for improvement, because it's not the answer for everything. But it is a start.

For me, it's about:

• Having more control over the all network feed
  • Improving how people filter the good stuff from all the noise
  • Allowing you to make certain important posts sticky at the top
  • Improving the removal process of people who are no longer with your business
  • Better integration with Microsoft products in the cloud

I have used Yammer for about three years.

There are not problems with stability. It's all Microsoft stuff, so it’s pretty well managed.

We have had no scalability issues.

I haven't used support yet, but plan to soon.

We didn't have a previous solution.

It was a really simple setup. You can either join Yammer Freemium or purchase an Enterprise Office 365 licenses, which includes Yammer. I'd recommend this approach.

Go for a corporate/enterprise license to give you full admin control of Yammer, rather than the limited free version.

We didn’t look at alternatives, simply because this social network came with the license. Therefore, it was a one-time price.

What other advice do I have?

First consider whether you plan to purchase a license. If not, then I'd look into other software to suit your needs. If, however, you are investing in Microsoft software for your business, then Yammer is a great product.

Really understand what you need in terms of socially connecting your people and teams. If your teams are spread across a country or around the world, this is a great way of connecting everyone together.

Make sure you invest a bit of time to train, guide, and build up a solid and competent community manager network.

it_user651825
IT Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We use targeted notifications to communicate outages and maintenance windows.

What is most valuable?

• External collaboration with partners: There is a unified way to send updates about departments and the enterprise, rather than sending separate communications.
  • Inbox and notification for updates: This helps to manage messaging to stakeholders in a centralized and contextual way, rather than silo information sharing.
  • Integration with Microsoft Office feeds: Since the enterprise works with Office, it is easy to use along with those tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used targeted notifications regarding the outages and maintenance windows to communicate with our stakeholders. This has helped centralized messaging for us.

What needs improvement?

Yammer can improve the effectiveness of its usage by addressing the metrics that measure user trust and perception. It measures the sentiments of posts using analytics and increases the ease of use.

I have used this solution for three years.

There were no stability issues. The product has been fairly stable.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

The setup was straightforward.

This is a good option for medium to large-sized business enterprises.

We looked at the Slack solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a Microsoft Shop, then Yammer has the potential to tie up with SharePoint and address a lot of the enterprise needs, in terms of messaging and content management.

it_user651534
PM - Management Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Has the ability to collaborate via group pages/sites. It needs better integration with other products.

What is most valuable?

Yammer's group page functionality is useful for large groups to collaborate instantaneously. It's very easy to set up group pages.

How has it helped my organization?

In a prior organization, Yammer was in the process of being piloted across our department. The ability to collaborate via group pages/sites was something people liked.

What needs improvement?

• Yammer's integration into the Microsoft Office 365 product suite was not yet in place when we were piloting the product.
  • It needs better integration with other Office 365 products. They only just released the integration this March.
  • They should add more "Slack-like" features. Although they are different products, most people in the development community need Slack and they don't need Yammer.
  • For large organizations, Yammer could work well.
  • The notification features on the web app were confusing and lacking.
  • The mobile app is a much better UI/UX design between the two.

I have been using Yammer for one year.

We did not have any stability issues.

The lack of integration into the Microsoft Office 365 made it difficult to champion throughout the organization. Yammer was being introduced into an environment where collaboration was difficult to find.

The Office 365 Roadmap blog was a good place to find details on what was going to be included in the future releases.

We didn’t have anything previous to this solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. The Yammer web app was simple to log into with Office 365 login credentials. The mobile app was better, but was being rolled out later.

Make sure that you have at least 1000 licenses so you have a large enough user group to pilot the product.

The pricing is reasonable as it's a part of the Microsoft Office 365 product suite.

We evaluated Slack, which had different use cases than Yammer.

it_user653547
Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is the mobile app. Integration with other products is still weak.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable to me is the simplicity of the Yammer mobile app. I can check notifications and replies on the run

How has it helped my organization?

If someone needs to communicate with 50 people at the same and create collaboration about certain topic, he doesn't need to send communication to everyone in his inbox. Rather, he just needs one Yammer post and everyone will see it and interact accordingly.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other Office 365 products is still weak, because Yammer initially wasn't a Microsoft product. They bought it from a third-party.

I have been using Yammer for three years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. It is Microsoft support.

We were using a different solution named Beezy. It was based on the SharePoint on-premises solution. It wasn't responsive with mobiles and its scalability was weak.

The initial setup was straightforward. Even after we enabled Office 365 Single Sign-on with ADFS to enhance authentication, it was nice and straightforward. Not many complexities.

I consider Yammer to be the best business collaborative tool. If you want to try it, I advise using the free license for around one year and decide if you want to continue with it or not.

We evaluated the new version of Beezy and the social micro-blogging feature in SharePoint 2013. Both are very far from Yammer.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a business collaborative tool, start with Yammer today.

JW
Sharepoint Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We can reach engage with co-workers in a less corporate structure.

What is most valuable?

Reaching and engaging with co-workers in a less corporate structure.

How has it helped my organization?

Co-workers feel comfortable creating groups for collaboration, communication, and non-work related, personable groups. It has also increased confidence, interpersonal relationships, and overall communication and engagement.

What needs improvement?

Being able to edit a post after it has posted.

When a user creates a post, it goes into a group or the main global feed. Once that post has been posted, you cannot edit the post to change it. For example, if I wrote, “New Project coming soon” and realized after posting it that I misspelled a word, I cannot edit my post to change it to. “New Project Coming Soon”.

Being able to move a post to a different group after it has posted.

When a user posts something in a group, they cannot change what group it is posted to. For example, if I posted “Check out the new tasks list” in the main global Yammer feed, but then after posting it I realize di meant tp post it into a different Group, I cannot move that post to a different Yammer group.

I have used Yammer for four years.

The only stability issue was in regards to getting the web part to display correctly.

We have had no scalability issues.

Technical support specifically gets a fair rating. Technical support through Yammer groups is good, but you have to do a lot of sorting and sifting.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup of the front-end was straightforward.

We didn’t evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Have a Yam Jam or other type of exciting event to get user adoption rates up with give aways or other special incentives for signing up, posting, and adding information.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner.
Enterprise Social Consultant, Collaboration Services at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

The public sharing of knowledge and answers to questions has been the most valuable feature. Many associates can learn the answer to the question or learn something new to help them with their job just by scrolling through posts.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved information sharing across the company which allows for problems to be solved much faster. It really helps to have groups that are monitored by 1-2 admins that can route questions to the right people through tagging. This has helped us solve internal problems very quickly and external problems when our front-line associates post questions from customers.

What needs improvement?

The biggest area for improvement would be in analytics. There is not much offered today, but there is more coming soon.

I have used it for 6 years.

Technical questions get answered or addressed quickly. If it's something that can't be solved right away, Microsoft keeps you updated on when it might be solved.

it_user629934
Sr. Application Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Allows users in different teams to interact in real time. There needs to be access to a channel, without the need to sign in.

What is most valuable?

Integration into SharePoint is a valuable feature as it provides better exposure and access to users.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows users in different teams to interact in real time.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be access to a channel, without the need to sign-in.

Right now, if you are a Yammer channel owner, then you can ‘invite’ people to join it. That invitation would require the other person to accept the invitation and ‘login’ to Yammer. By logging into the Office 365 Portal, you are not automatically logged into Yammer. Yammer is currently run as a separate portal experience instead of a blended service, i.e., in the use case of ‘channels’.

If I embed my Yammer channel into a SharePoint Web Part and you are not logged into Yammer, your will see a block on the screen that says ‘login’.

I have used this solution for a year.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support was good.

The setup was straightforward.

It is a part of the enterprise licensing.

What other advice do I have?

• Test with users
  • Know your use case
  • Get management support for use case
it_user620583
Senior Engagement Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables idea sharing through the idea crowdsourcing features.

What is most valuable?

The idea crowdsourcing features are valuable because they show the business benefit of this social tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It drives incremental improvement through idea sharing.

What needs improvement?

It needs more support for third-party apps. Since third-party apps can increase the actual functionality of Yammer, they are very useful. However, when it comes to integration and setup of these apps, it could be easier.

I have used Yammer for nine months.

I have not encountered stability issues.

Onboarding was an issue, but we found a solution which helped us.

Technical support is good. They have a very good customer success program where they handhold you through rollout and any needed technical support.

We didn’t use a previous solution.

We evaluated Facebook at Work, but it wasn’t for us.

What other advice do I have?

Find a core purpose for it so employees know why they are using it.

it_user621045
Communications Specialist at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Enables knowledge sharing, internal communication, and collaboration between teams.

What is most valuable?

Knowledge sharing between co-workers is a valuable feature. It helps develop a knowledge-sharing culture. It encourages working together and smooths out work relationships.

How has it helped my organization?

In my previous organization, we used Yammer to share what we were working on, be it big or small projects. This brought about innovative ideas from co-workers. This often completely changed the way we work on a project.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other Office 365 products can be improved to create a smooth interaction with Outlook. The users and their email addresses should be the same across all platforms, as they are owned by one company.

I have used this solution for six years.

No stability issues were experienced. However, it was a steep change from the old days where we had a lot of unstable versions. That made it difficult for us, i.e., the enablers that needed to lobby the staff so that they would change the traditional way of working.

We had some scalability issues. The main challenge was to bring the top management on board. For Yammer to be successful in your organization, you will need buy-in from management.

Management always asks about the added-value, impact, and the results. This is very difficult to measure unless the solution has already been implemented.

The Yammer staff is very quick to help. There is an external network for anyone to join. It is set up for users to ask questions and get help. The level is very professional and quick.

We used our own intranet for collaboration and engagement which was less-functional and buggy at times to fix.

The setup was very straightforward. You can just join by using your company's email address. All your profile information is imported to Yammer and vice versa.

My organization invested a significant amount of money in the Office 365 package. Yammer is a must, if you plan to work on improving the internal communication and collaboration among your staff.

We did not evaluate other options, as it came in the package with Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

You will need a strategy on how to bring people on board. For example, you can use short trainings/webinars to explain the importance of the tool and how to do the basics. Before all of that, the management has to believe in it and agree to use it.

Partner - Digital People Practice at Digital Works Group
A tool to develop online communities. The user experience could be improved.

What is most valuable?

I did not really find many valuable features. It was a tool to develop communities wherein we could carry out some good discussions within defined groups.

Otherwise, it was meant to act as more of a social media communication tool. It never achieved good adoption globally. Most of the functionality lay dormant for most of my tenure there.

How has it helped my organization?

It was reasonably good at creating online communities of interest. There were some super users who enjoyed having that space to share details of various projects. However, it was mostly slow, clunky, and frustrating to use.

What needs improvement?

The user experience could be improved. It needs more speed and interaction to drive its utility when streaming videos or performing uploads.

I used this solution at Kantar, the market research arm of WPP, for three and a half years.

There were no stability issues other than the generally slow speed of the tool.

There were no scalability issues.

I never used technical support.

I did not use a previous solution. I think that Facebook's Workplace or StaffConnect would have done the job in a more engaging and user-friendly manner. They would have driven more interaction between staff members.

The initial setup was pretty simple using a cloud-based interface. Administrator privileges were determined to manage, add, delete, and to do some monitoring.

Initially, Kantar was able to negotiate an incredible rate of £0.73 per user/per month prior to their acquisition by Microsoft. The price then escalated to £3.00 per user/ per month!!

We evaluated Jive. Based on the difference in price, we decided not to proceed.

What other advice do I have?

Research the market. There are more interesting products out there that have better UX and are more interactive and engaging.

it_user616521
Head of People Operations at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Enables internal communication between different countries and locations.

What is most valuable?

• Enables internal communication between different countries and locations.
  • Provides easy access and low hierarchy: Everyone is able to comment, ask questions, share knowledge, and get to know colleagues.

How has it helped my organization?

• Has brought leaders closer to people: Leaders can share video messages which are more engaging than just faceless email messages.
  • People are encouraged to comment on these messages or ask questions
  • Leaders/managers can respond back

What needs improvement?

They need to somehow enable better document sharing features. They need to provide joint drafting of documents.

In regards to the document sharing and modifying feature, currently it does not entirely work together with the mobile devices.

If the documents are saved in OneDrive, then the connection to Yammer is not very easy to use.

I have used this solution for a little over three years.

There were no stability issues.

At first, we did encounter some scalability issues on some mobile devices.

I would give the technical support a rating of 6/10.

It takes a long time before getting a reply. Sometimes there are language barriers in terms of poor English or when no Finnish speakers are available.

We did not have any other tool before this one.

The setup was very easy. It helped a lot that I participated in the Yammer Community Manager training that was organized by Blue Meteorite.

It is good to know that Yammer is now included in the Microsoft Office 365 subscription without any extra fee.

We looked at the WhatsApp business version, but it was not sufficient. Later, we also looked into Slack. However, we still haven't decided whether we should change or not.

What other advice do I have?

You should exchange experiences with other companies who have implemented this solution. You might also participate in the Yammer Community Manager training as well. However, the exact way to launch Yammer depends on the needs of the organization.

it_user613557
Head of IS/IT Communication, Global Information Technology at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables you to create a group or community. It is hard to search for a specific group relevant to my interest.

What is most valuable?

You can post content in the “All Company Group” in a more casual way. Members consider the content as "for your information", rather than some serious information that must be read.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very easy to create a group/community, but searching for a specific group that is relevant to my interest is quite hard. This is because we do not set any particular policies to describe the "interests" or "objectives" of that group.

It will be better for the vendor to set certain guidelines as to how to create a group name and to provide this information to the other users.

I have used this product for about six months.

We did encounter some stability issues, but they were mainly due to our own system's stability.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give the technical support a rating of 3/10.

The setup was extremely complex. However, that was because we had heavily customized the project.

We used the trial version before we purchased the Yammer enterprise version. As the feature-set between these two versions is very different, we could not import the contents from the trial version to the official one. This was very inconvenient.

We did not evaluate other options. We needed to use this product along with the installment of Microsoft Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

Yammer is suitable for an organization that has many branches or offices. Most of the users are already familiar with social media communication. The application is useful to virtually make friends and to share information/experiences.

However, the company needs to set and educate the usage policy. This is a system for an organization and not for fun.

it_user167418
Human Resource/Digital Experience Applications Leader at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Allows cross-functional discussions across business groups.

What is most valuable?

• IM
  • Groups
  • Mobile applications
  • Integration with Office
  • Notifications

How has it helped my organization?

The product has allowed cross-functional discussions across every business group throughout the company. There was very little communication across business units prior to deployment. It is easy to find experts in a particular subject matter with a simple post to a group or to the company-wide group.

What needs improvement?

• Asynchronous, persistent chats
  • Search capability
  • Tighter integration with Outlook (i.e., be able to post directly to Yammer groups from Outlook)

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

We previously used Chatter from Salesforce. We switched because the company was deploying Office 365 and it made more sense strategically to fully leverage Yammer instead. There were a smaller number of users on Chatter versus Yammer.

The user account setup is not automatic as a person activates Office 365. I was not involved in the setup of the environment.

What other advice do I have?

This is an excellent choice if you have made the investment into Office 365. Announcement of teams should offer even better functionality. If you are not an Office 365 shop, then there are probably better options (i.e., Slack, Facebook for Work).

IT Business Analyst for Sales Enablement with 1,001-5,000 employees
Secure collaboration environment for crowdsourcing knowledge

What is most valuable?

• Inline video
  • Mobile apps
  • Secure collaboration environment for crowdsourcing knowledge
  • Translation tool

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to have multi-country project teams where members can interact in their own language.

What needs improvement?

Ability to edit posts and also rich text would be good. Currently, unlike other social tools like Facebook at Work and Chatter, Yammer does not have the ability to edit posts. Also, the only rich text (bold/italics/bullets) that are supported are in the Announcements.

I know that Microsoft are currently testing the editing feature and it is due to be released in the next couple of months. This is the most requested feature which we receive from our users.

We have been using this solution for eighteen months.

Occasionally we have some stability issues. But that is to be expected in a rapidly developing platform and the A-B testing does give some stability issues sometimes.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is very good and responsive. We have premier support.

The setup was straightforward but inconsistent. Now that it is fully integrated with Office 365, the consistency is there.

We evaluated Jive and Facebook Business.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it, especially if you are a Microsoft shop.

it_user609612
Service Catalog Manager at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows communication with a global audience. I would like to see more functionality and more integration with other solutions.

What is most valuable?

Communication. We are able to communicate and keep in touch with a global audience.

As a global company, we have IT staff and users around the world. If we need to communicate a message or just make other people aware of an outage or other important information, the easiest way is to post it on yammer. Not only will they get an email about a new post, but if they
have it installed on a mobile device, they will also get a notification.

How has it helped my organization?

It only allows for global communication, but that requires people to use it as well

What needs improvement?

Microsoft has to decide what to do with this product for the business. Without every business committing to 365, Yammer is a separate application and does not tie into Skype for Business or SharePoint 2013 and previous versions.

If MS could somehow incorporate Yammer to SharePoint and Skype for Business, then it would have a lot more uses and be easier for users to take advantage of.

Yammer is very basic. They have made very minor improvements to it. It does not hold up when comparing it to what other social media apps can do. Using it for a business without all of the other functionality really limits what you can do with it.

MS made us plenty of promises for Yammer and have not delivered. There is a good chance we will be done using it before the year is up.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

It is typical Microsoft support, i.e, not very helpful.

We currently use SharePoint. However, the two apps are not tied together.

The installation was straightforward.

Read the fine print. That goes for all MS licensing for an enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great communication tool, but if you have too many ways to communicate, then this may be a burden. It is also difficult with users who are already using Facebook, LinkedIn, Skype for Business, SharePoint, Twitter, etc.

Associate Director, AIA Edge at AIA
All parts of the organisation can share ideas and best practices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to reach all parts of the organisation to share ideas and best practices.

How has it helped my organization?

Getting people to first share their ideas, and then for others to then respond and help out has been a key feature of our Yammer usage.

What needs improvement?

The ability to edit posts can be frustrating for some. The versioning control could also be better. Some of these issues have to do with training and changing entrenched behaviours.

We have been using the product since June 2014.

Stability is pretty good and you can 'optimise' suggested solutions like video size and definition for your own network capabilities.

I have not encountered any scalability issues, except for taxonomy and groups admin but that is a good problem to have.

Technical support is very good; I only require minimal support from my internal team.

We had Jive and switched for a couple of reasons: interoperability with other systems and a switch to a more easy to use and understand system. The translation feature is incredibly useful for a multilingual company like ours, especially with the Asian language coverage.

Setup was relatively straightforward, with normal provisions for single sign on and governance. The complex part was the migration of content from the old system to the new, which required an enormous amount of effort.

Plan carefully and inform your users and power users straightforwardly and openly about the changes.

Pricing as part of the wider deal should be considered, as well as getting value for money when reaching out to external parties.

We are not evaluating other options at this stage; our initial evaluation occurred when we set out on this process in 2011.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the limitations and embrace them.

Business Analyst at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
You can choose not to follow conversations once your inputs have been received.

What is most valuable?

• Announcements
  • Notes
  • @mentioning
  • How not to follow conversations once your inputs have been received

How has it helped my organization?

From the point of view of knowledge sharing, we created a group per project. While we had SharePoint for storing documentation, we were able to link to these and give them content in Yammer.

What needs improvement?

• @mentioning and the fact that you can't then tidy up the name.
  • Linking differing groups, without introducing hierarchy.
  • I did a lot of UAT and security both internally to organisations and being a cloud SaaS caused issues. Therefore, I’d like to see more support documentation with regard to this.

I have used it for about three years.

Yammer was embedded in SharePoint. We experienced outages almost every Thursday; assuming this is a scheduled software update.

Technical support wasn't great. Our touch points in Microsoft Ireland were not knowledgeable enough on the product; issue experienced while going from Freemiun to Enterprise.

I did not previously use a different solution; first time using social enterprise.

Initial setup was very straightforward. It was prior to O365 integration. Simply access the Yammer URL, and set up your credentials. The company provisioning was carried out by Microsoft but I believe this was straightforward.

Before choosing this product, I don't believe we evaluated other options, but this was not my call.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to decide why your organisational culture will benefit from social enterprise. Let your workforce know that it is coming, communicate your organisational vision for it, and have a launch plan, training, champions and encouragement.

it_user9720
Lync and Yammer
Over the past couple of years I’ve been working with SharePoint at various sites, and more recently with Lync and Yammer. Now these are two products that mainframers may not be that familiar with and I thought people might be interested to know more. Microsoft Lync was called Microsoft Office Communicator. It’s an Instant Messaging client – like MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger – that can be used either with Microsoft Lync Server or Lync Online, which is available with Microsoft Office 365. In fact it is an up-to-date version of Windows Messenger which was used with Microsoft Exchange Server. As well as running on PCs, Lync 2010 has Windows Phone, Android, and iOS apps. Lync provides instant messaging, Voice Over IP, and video conferencing facilities, and uses Microsoft Outlook contacts…

As well as running on PCs, Lync 2010 has Windows Phone, Android, and iOS apps. Lync provides instant messaging, Voice Over IP, and video conferencing facilities, and uses Microsoft Outlook contacts stored in a Microsoft Exchange Server. Office can show whether other people are working on the same document, and Lync allows file sharing.

What makes it so useful is those really unimportant e-mails that you don’t need an audit trail for can be replaced by Instant Messaging conversations. That cuts down on the number of e-mails that need to be backed up each evening and eventually stored on the off-chance they’re important. And, of course, you can type or you can talk. And you can set up meetings with people in offices around the country and video conference – assuming your organization has the bandwidth to do so.

Lync and Sharepoint integrate to an extent – they’re both from Microsoft. For example, there’s an “online presence indicator next to an individual’s name wherever their name appears in a site collection in SharePoint”. “Assist in providing colleague suggestions for use in My Sites, My Profiles, and People Search”. And “through Lync, provide access to SharePoint people and skills search including names and skills and a link to the user’s My Site”. Thank you to J D Wade, who’s blog at http://wadingthrough.com/2012/04/04/lync-and-sharepoint-integration-more-than-presence-information/ was the source for these examples.

Yammer is described as an enterprise social network service. It was launched in 2008, but, more importantly, Microsoft bought it last year. Yammer acts like a corporate Facebook service. It allows people to send message to other individuals or to groups. Only people with the same domain name in their e-mail address can access the corporate Yammer network. As well as access from a PC, there’s Android Windows Phone and iPhone apps available.

Chris Wright, in his blog at http://www.cmswire.com/cms/social-business/five-yammer-features-that-sharepoint-users-are-going-to-love-020339.php, lists features of Yammer that SharePoint users will like. Chris says “SharePoint has never really had its own ‘messaging’ system, so the Yammer Inbox fills a real gap”. Chris adds: “Yammer polls are a nice quick way to ask a question of people in your community, and will add a lot to the sense of community SharePoint is trying to foster”. Looking ahead, Chris says that documents held in a Yammer feed can be edited in Office web apps. He says: “This is a great example of a few of the features SharePoint is bringing to the table to improve Yammer (rather than the other way round)”.

We know that Microsoft plans to integrate Yammer with SharePoint and Office 365. It appears that Yammer will eventually replace SharePoint’s newsfeed. It seems there’s a plan to share documents with Yammer using SharePoint. And Yammer users will be able to upload and store documents using SkyDrive Pro. A file preview and edit capability with Yammer will work in conjunction with Office Web Apps. There’s even talk about translation capabilities being added to Yammer. Eventually Yammer and Lync (and Exchange) will be integrated.

From what I've seen, the integration of Yammer with Office 365 is excellent. You can see your Yammer feed at the same time as, for example, your Outlook e-mails.

The integration of Yammer builds on Open Graph – an open API protocol for following objects external to a social network site used by Facebook. IBMers are perhaps more familiar with OpenSocial 2.0 for IBM Connections. Both provide a way for people to follow things.

What makes Yammer and SharePoint integration so interesting is that staff can use a the type of social media they’re familiar with from home in a business situation. If I can see you’re meeting client A tomorrow, I might ask you to check how he thinks project X is going. Or I might even just want to say hello to someone who is an occasional customer. Yammer is a business tool that is fun and easy to use – certainly compared to the more heavyweight Web parts etc of SharePoint.

The fact that Instant Messaging and social media can be included in a business environment shows that these tools are maturing. And, like BYOD, it shows end users are driving the environment they want to experience at work. I wonder how long it will be, with IBM’s pushing of social media tools, before something like this is available to everyone on z/OS.

Owner with 51-200 employees
Do You Use Yammer at Work? And Why Not SharePoint?
There was a question a while back on the Microsoft MVPs LinkedIn group (YAFSN! – see below) wondering “Do you use Yammer at work?” I’m still trying to figure out how much I want to use Yammer. As when Google+ came out, I’m trying it. I pretty much abandoned G+, and Yammer may well go the same way for most things. I got into Yammer via an invitation into SPYam from Bjørn Furuknap with my USPJA email address. Now I’m trapped into that identity for SPYam (the network for SharePoint discussions that Joel Oleson set up – ping me if you’d like an invitation) but have to use my work email address to access the SharePoint MVP network into which Microsoft has seemingly decided to move all communications. That tying of one’s identity to a single email domain (it seems you can’t combine domains into one über identity) is my biggest beef with the Yammer platform. I’m sure they will work that out, though. (Yammer probably could have done it in a few weeks. Now that it’s a Microsoft product, maybe in Yammer 2016, and you’ll only need to add a three server farm to enable it.) I read a constant stream of complaints about other aspects of how Yammer works in – natch – Yammer. Sure, there are some true annoyances (no Shift-Enter in post entry, no parity between clients, Adobe Air!) but I could give you a litany of similar annoyances for every single YAFSN. User interfaces seem to always have annoyances. The important thing is how fast the people who develop the platform can react to consistent complaints and improve. Everyone seems to think we need YAFSN (Yet Another Fantastic Social Network), but each new one that comes along simply fragments the landscape further. Who has the time to check dozens of these damn things? Social in the workplace must be a performance improvement, not a detriment. (I’d argue we should hold our personal social network use to the same standard. LOL catz!) if I have to check four or five social networks constantly in order to be well-informed, that drags down my efficiency. I’ll keep using Yammer for the MVP stuff because I don’t have any choice, of course. Gotta get all those “secrets” somehow. It really makes me wonder, though, why we don’t use SharePoint to talk about SharePoint. It seems that in the vast majority of cases, SharePointilists prefer to use a different technology to communicate about SharePoint. That, to me, raises a far more important question: “Do you use SharePoint at work?”
it_user9720
Owner with 51-200 employees
Alternatives to Yammer exist, but it can be very useful within an organization to help with communication
I’ve been to a few companies recently that have been using Yammer as a business tool. If you’ve got offices that are spread out, or if your workforce aren’t usually in the office, then it provides an easy way for people to be able to share things – like comments, documents, or images. And you can form groups so discussions, that are only relevant to a small group of people, stay within that small group or team. Yammer started life in 2008 and was bought by Microsoft in 2012. It’s described as an enterprise social network. That means it’s not a public social network like Facebook, it’s for internal communication between members of an organization or group. It’s free, it’s very easy to use (if you’ve ever used Facebook), and it provides a private and…

It’s free, it’s very easy to use (if you’ve ever used Facebook), and it provides a private and secure place for discussion. The simplest way to use Yammer is from your browser (Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc), and you can download the app for your smartphone or tablet.

It’s easy to set up and use, but I thought I’d put together some instructions for new users, so they know how to get on and start using it.

To sign up, go to www.yammer.com. You’ll see a large box in the middle of the page:

Type in your company e-mail address – you can’t use your personal e-mail address because it won’t work.

Complete your Yammer profile and add a photo. New people in your organization may not be familiar with who you are and your particular skill set.

You can join groups and follow topics that are relevant to you. If Yammer gets very busy with people posting, you won’t want to be informed every time there’s a new post. So, click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner. In the drop-down menu, select ‘Edit Profile’. Then select ‘Notifications’ from the list on the left, and then choose how often you want to receive notifications. ‘Save’ your choice. There’s a ‘Back Home’ box top-left to get back.

You can also follow other people – that way you get to see what they’re posting.

When you come to use Yammer on subsequent occasions, you simply click on ‘Log In’ on the right of the top menu bar.

Now you can start to use Yammer.

You can post messages – these can be comments, questions, updates. You can post links to articles or blogs elsewhere on the Web.

You can follow people, which means that you want to view messages from them in ‘My Feed’. It’s not like a friend request. They don’t have to agree. They don’t have to follow you back.

You can read what other people are posting and get a feel of what’s going on across the organization.

You can ‘Like’ other people’s posts.

You can find out more about people in your organization by reading their profile.

You could start your own group or join existing groups.

You can upload pictures. You can organize events/meetings. You can survey what people think about things

You can use topics so that all the posts are around a specific topic. To add a topic to a post, click ‘add topic’ while writing the message or you can use a hashtag. You can also add topics to a published message by clicking ‘more’. Hashtags (#) are used to identify what posts are about and to make finding information easier.

You can search for information in the search box near the top of the page. This will find whether anyone else has posted about a particular topic.

And you can send a direct message in three ways. Use the @ sign followed by the user’s names. As you start to type the name, a drop-down menu will give you suggestions. You can send a private message:

• Click ‘Inbox’ in the left column.
  • Click ‘Create Message’ on the right sidebar.
  • Select ‘Send Private Message’.
  • In the ‘Add Participants’ field, start to type the person’s user name. A drop-down list of matching user names appears.
  • Select the name of the name of the person you want to send the message to.
  • Write your message, and then ‘Send’.

And you can send a message through ‘Online Now’:

• Click ‘Online Now’ in the bottom-right corner.
  • Start writing the person’s name. A drop-down list of matching user names appears.
  • Use the up and down arrows, and ‘Enter’ to select a name. A message box opens.
  • Write your message, and then ‘Send’.

Recipients are notified that they have a message.

Unbelievably, Yammer refers to all communications inside Yammer as “Yams”. Yams are sorted into various feeds. A feed, if you’re new to social media, is a way of keeping you up-to-date with content that other people are posting.

I think many organizations would benefit from an internal social media tool. There are alternatives to Yammer available, but I think it can be very useful within an organization to help with communication. And it can be fun!

Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Empowering environment, which needs a strategy. A sponsor, time and tenacity to transform the way we work successfully.

What is most valuable?

It is not about features, it is about empowerment. What I like is the easiness of engaging conversation with colleagues and management to help each other. I particularly like the simplicity to do this with customers and partners on external network in one click.

How has it helped my organization?

People share expertise and find solution faster while they are feeling to be part of the same team even if they work in different geo

What needs improvement?

Manageability and customization

1 year

Governance issues

Light bug and one outage.

Good through YCN, but sometimes I got frustrated by translation issue

Didn't need it yet.

Yes, SharePoint. No engagement were done, it was to complex not enough user friendly, to focus on documents and not on people

Very simple

Internal. Our IT especially because it is connected to our O365 environment.

I would say you need a person full time for initialization and governance and training for a month. But we didn't do it that way. It was the job from someone 2h per day during 2 months. We found somebody motivated and with a good spirit who was able to understand people jobs.

SharePoint 2013

What other advice do I have?

Talk to business to understand how it can help them, get an executive sponsor (the higher is the better), be open for discussion as there will be a lot of skepticism and opponents essentially around two subjects: "Email is prime and I don't want a new channel of information" and "I'm not used to social spirit and tools." What is key: find what use they will love.

it_user68022
Business Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
To Yammer or not to Yammer – can we guarantee success with enterprise social tools?
I’m very keen on the idea of the enterprise social network Yammer and what it could mean for internal business communication. I visualise a time when our interstate frontline staff are discussing the pros and cons of a new business initiative with our senior managers at Head Office. When the CEO spots a game-changing idea from a new employee during his daily check of the site. When our sales teams are reporting back from the field, creating excitement about wins as they happen. But enterprise social tools like Yammer are not like our traditional internal communication tools: - We don’t control the message. - We can’t force people to get involved - and success relies on interaction. - We can’t guarantee success. It’s actually pretty scary. I know of plenty of organisations that…

- We don’t control the message.

- We can’t force people to get involved - and success relies on interaction.

- We can’t guarantee success.

It’s actually pretty scary. I know of plenty of organisations that have experimented with Yammer and it failed. People didn’t see the value, they didn’t find the time and it fizzled out.

At this moment in time, the success of Yammer within my own organisation is at make or break point. Over one-sixth of our workforce signed up within the first few weeks of my soft launch, simply via word of mouth. I invited those people I could rely on to join first. That worked well. A key group of about half a dozen people from across the business were very keen and began posting updates, asking questions, replying to threads and creating groups.

Next, with a good proportion of staff onboard I sent an email to our Senior Management Team, outlining the benefits and asking for their commitment to the network – just five minutes a day, twice a week to begin with.

I also spoke face-to-face with a number of staff: if they were working on an interesting project I suggested a Yammer post. If I was writing an intranet news story on behalf of a business unit, I suggested that they could also promote their work in a status update.

I’ve nudged conversations along, introduced talking points, asked questions and tried to encourage the lurkers.

Now, we’re six weeks in. The initial excitement has died off. There are other business priorities. Less people are joining. Those who signed-up haven’t revisited the site. The goodwill of our Senior Managers is there, but they just haven’t found the time.

So, I’m asking myself some key questions and I’d be interested to hear your thoughts:

- do we just ‘experiment’ with enterprise social tools such as Yammer, or do we strategise the roll-out as we do with all other internal comms channels?

- by creating a strategy for success, can we ever guarantee a social tool like Yammer is a success?

- what does success look like on these tools anyway?

- finally, what can we learn about our employee engagement if there is low interaction through Yammer. How can we use this to influence the rest of our internal communications strategy?

These are the questions I’ll be working through over the coming months…..I’ll keep you updated.

it_user9714
Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Using Yammer Internally- guideliness and governance

I have had a love hate relationship with Yammer. There are indeed both guidelines and governance in play. Most of the processes in place are concerned about ensuring client confidentiality and compliance rather than expected use. For internal comms Yammer was being used as another channel to reach employees, however how they used Yammer was and is still maturing. Initially it was used to republish content that was already available through the Intranet, however this has now changed to one where they are more active in engaging in dialogue and supporting leaders in getting their message out (for example helping to host Yammer sessions). It has been a powerful tool, and one thing that I think it does very well is to empower employees from across the organization to contribute content and though leadership. I think that internal comms roles will shift slightly as they begin to support and encourage content from within, rather than having to be the sole authors and creators of content.

it_user9213
Developer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Yammer and SharePoint
We use both SharePoint and Yammer at work. Yammer works well at our 26,000 employee firm. It’s not perfect, but it provides a semi-private environment for meeting people and conversing across many different teams, something that hasn’t been as easy to do in SharePoint by itself. It doesn’t replace entirely what SharePoint does nor does it replicate other public social networks. It’s a complement to the other platforms we all use.

it_user9204
Marketing at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Yammer – don’t worry about it, just do it
About three months ago we took the decision to introduce Yammer across Wakefield Council. A few of us had tried it out for a while, and once we’d convinced colleagues that there were genuine benefits and that using it wouldn’t lead to widespread negativity it was launched to the rest of the staff with online access. For those who haven’t used it, Yammer is a free to use internal social network, that in our case only those whose email address ends in @wakefield.gov.uk can use. If you research it you’ll be told of numerous professional benefits, including sharing links, requesting answers to work issues, and bringing people together who don’t normally get to see each other. These are all true, but so far it is probably the latter that has been most prominent on a professional level,…

These are all true, but so far it is probably the latter that has been most prominent on a professional level, with almost 800 people signing up and joining numerous groups on the network set up by colleagues. The groups have included communications, leisure, public health, and libraries, in other words mostly following service area lines, as you might expect at first.

Whilst an impressive number have joined, I think many have subscribed out of curiosity and are still waiting to see how it might benefit them. We have deliberately offered limited guidance on how to use Yammer, just enough to get people started, as we wanted to see what people would do themselves once they’d signed up.

The results have been fascinating, and with each passing week more varied posts are appearing. But although there have been many topics and events discussed in impressive depth, including public health, car parking, Christmas lights, joining the new library and much more, it is the social element that has most caught my eye.

In the short time that we’ve had Yammer, the most used discussion group has been around cycling, both cycling to work and in people’s own time, and a work based running club has also emerged. Born from Yammer, runners who are mostly based in our new building Wakefield One, now meet once a week after work to go for a run, which is just fantastic.

Bringing 1,100 staff into a new building where previously they had been in different buildings has helped, but the fact that Yammer is bringing people together both virtually and in person is a real benefit.

We’re still new to Yammer so no doubt there’s much more we will learn from each other, but I think we’ve made a good start. Hopefully people will continue to join and find what they are looking for, and hopefully they’ll be even more interaction.

If you haven’t yet tried Yammer because you’re worried it might lead to one big online argument or a barrage of critical comments, give it a go. It doesn’t work out like that at all. It is a simple yet effective way of bringing people together to help each other out through an online conversation, and in some cases bringing them together face to face to socialise. You can’t argue with either of those.

it_user8940
Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It certainly appears to be the best of this growing group of internal micro-blogging tool
As one of Yammer's first paying customers (albeit not in HE) I have quite a lot of experience with it. In general, it certainly appears to be the best of this growing group of internal micro-blogging tools. It's free for any size of network (as long as you don't need the additional security features). I saw our network grow very, very fast organically – but there comes a point where it has to 'cross the chasm' in order to become a valuable business tool for everybody. And that's where the rubber hits the road, because – just like any other tool, system or process – it then needs management support, proper communication, use cases, and people who look after the community that it creates. So, my take would be: trial it (it won't cost you anything), but don't expect it to have any…

So, my take would be: trial it (it won't cost you anything), but don't expect it to have any meaningful impact without further thinking, resource and investment behind it.

it_user8913
Developer with 51-200 employees
Yammer vs. SP Social in 2013
There are several discussions on SharePoint’s social strategy going on at the moment. I had some great discussions with my MVP mate Adis during Summit last week. Since #SPC12 almost every SharePoint addicted developer, it-pro, power user has reviewed Yammer. If you don’t know what Yammer is, here a short introduction. Yammer is an enterprise social network, which allows you and your coworkers to communicate in a modern way as on Facebook. The huge difference between Facebook and Yammer is, Yammer is private. That means only people from your organization or the people you’ve invited to join your network can see and take part of the conversation which is going on in your Yammer network. With the common understanding of Yammer, you should be able to follow up the ongoing discussions. Adis…

If you don’t know what Yammer is, here a short introduction.

With the common understanding of Yammer, you should be able to follow up the ongoing discussions. Adis wrote a great post, summarizing his thoughts on SharePoint and Yammer integration and the upcoming social future. I totally agree with Adis, there are a lot of things missing at the moment. But here my thoughts on Yammer vs. SPSocial

Leak of integration

In my eyes there is still too much missing, of course you can integrate yammer into your SharePoint, but key features are missing such as SSO, seamless look ‘n feel integration. Prebuild views on Yammer depending on the current SharePoint context or the mobile story. Microsoft shipped mobile Apps for SharePoint 2013 OnDemand and OnPrem. AFAIK are these apps currently available in preview, but each of them is based on SPSocial.

SharePoint Newsfeed

The Newsfeed in SharePoint 2013 is one of the best dashboards I’ve ever seen in the product. In my eyes it’s boosting the productivity because you can get an overview within no time. You got all the information you’re interested in, documents, people, sites, tags you’re following. That’s exactly what I’m looking for when I should move on to Yammer. Because I don’t like to decrease the productivity just because I use Yammer.

OnPrem story

Adis mentioned the OnPrem story also in his post. For a lot of German customers its necessary that all information is stored OnPrem. I ran into various situations where management raised the red flag because they are not going to move business critical data into the cloud. Unfortunately these kinds of customers don’t hear our arguments for moving into the cloud.

User adoption

While #SPC12 we launched our corporate Yammer, in order to structure the entire conversation from our company. The adoption within the first four weeks was really good. A lot of employees joined the Yammer network in order to see what Yammer actually is. They followed the invitations from other employees. There was no official announcement form the company, some key users started inviting their co-workers and within 2 weeks almost 85% of the company were registered to the corporate Yammer network. People started creating their own groups depending on the divisions they’re working for or the topics they’re currently on. In summary I’d say the adoption within the first month was great. We’d good conversation on Yammer about problems within different teams, which was a little bit surprising to me, normally most of the employees aren’t participating to new technologies that much. But Yammer had a better start. Unfortunately the good start doesn’t mean a good every-day usage. Right now 4 months after launching Yammer, only a few (mostly technical enthusiasts) keep on using Yammer every day. The crowd hasn’t signed on for the last 2 months… They are again writing emails, doing Lync chats or discuss important things on the floor.

And this is exactly the worst point for a new platform, we did this learning curve with the adoption of SharePoint as centralized communication and collaboration platform a decade ago, users are falling back to their old-fashioned habits, without teaching them actively (let’s say 1hr per week) the adoption of a new social network will not work. (At least for the company I currently work for) This drives me crazy, it’s not Yammers fault, it’s a human fault. But Yammer will be faced with this problem. Enabling SharePoint’s OOB Social features within this company is easier, because they use SharePoint for everything.

Summary

The ‘user adoption’ is unfortunately the biggest problem for Yammer, I like the idea of Yammer, but until Yammer isn’t fluently integrated into SharePoint / SharePoint Online, it’s a hard way for us – SharePoint enthusiasts – to move customers, friends, co-workers on the Yammer train.

Disclosure: The company I work for is a Microsoft Partner - https://www.experts-inside.com

Architect at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Not as feature-rich as Jive, but strikingly intuitive ease of use and a much lower cost.

Valuable Features:

Yammer provides a simple to use, intuitive platform for enterprise collaboration within the social networking information model. Like other products in this space, Yammer takes a crowd-sourcing approach to knowledge management in the enterprise by allowing users to leverage powerful tagging and content collaboration tools to communicate and capture information and expertise.

Room for Improvement:

Yammer is not as feature rich as the most mature offering in this space, Jive, however it makes up for this with strikingly intuitive ease of use and a much lower cost.
it_user1755
Product Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and widely adopted in our organization. Improvements could be made in the delayed messaging.

Valuable Features:

This product is very easy to use, and has been widely and easily adopted.

Room for Improvement:

I think that improvements could be seen in the delayed messaging, but other than, it's great!

Valuable Features:

This product is very easy to use, and has been widely and easily adopted.

Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
A fine platform for workplace and organizational collaboration

Valuable Features:

I reviewed Yammer as a judge for the 2012 SIIA CODIE Awards. Yammer was an outstanding performer in the collaborative platform category. I was given a full video demonstration of the software, and was very impressed with the following pros: *Dashboard design with full multiple application capability. * The number of outside applications that can be embedded into or integrated with Yammer. *The speed of the Yammer platform, which delivered information via multiple channels and sources *The fact that there is a mobile iOS application for Yammer. * A free version of Yammer is available to individual users who sign up *

Room for Improvement:

The only con was that it did not share the same transition speed between apps as SAP StreamWork, another platform that I reviewed in the CODIE Awards collaborative category
Product Categories
Enterprise Social Software
Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Facebook, Salesforce, and more!