EB
Infrastructure Manager and Security at ITG
Lets us be proactive in eliminating problems with resource consumption

• "The most valuable features in Zabbix are those that help us overcome bottlenecks in CPU usage, as well as reduce memory delay. I know that we have only reached the tip of the iceberg of what Zabbix's features can do for us, and we have not used all of them yet."
  • "I think the reporting part of Zabbix can be improved in terms of more user-friendly graphics to display the collected data. Many simple users who don't know how to use Zabbix properly might get confused by the reporting, although at the same time it is very versatile for my company."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zabbix on-premises for monitoring our servers and calculating consumption of CPU, memory, and storage space. It's an important part of monitoring our environments and it shows us a lot of information about the health of our systems. And, in terms of performance, we also use it for actively getting rid of bottlenecks.

There are four IT staff members who use Zabbix regularly, including system administrators and the director of IT.

How has it helped my organization?

With Zabbix, we can be proactive in eliminating problems with over-consumption of resources, such as with memory, for example.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Zabbix for three years.

There have been no issues with stability.

We don't have much need to scale Zabbix, virtually or otherwise, or increase its usage beyond current levels, but I think it is simple to do.

We were previously using Nagios, but with Nagios the reporting features are very poor. If you want to improve on the reporting with Nagios, you have to construct other features and software on top of it, whereas Zabbix is more to the point and straightforward.

Zabbix's reporting isn't very good, either, in my opinion, but it's better compared to Nagios.

The setup was easy.

Regarding the installation of Zabbix, we did it by ourselves and it was easy enough. Our branch's environment is pretty simple and we don't have many complex requirements.

We were searching for an open source solution and Zabbix fit the bill because it is free and open source under the GPL license.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that the person who is responsible for implementing Zabbix in their environment should be familiar with Linux because then the process is more simple, efficient, and takes less time.

I would rate Zabbix an eight out of ten.

FK
IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Free to use with good functionality and good stability

• "There are lots of great features and functionality within the solution."
  • "The user interface could be a bit better. They could update it a bit."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution in some of our different monitoring systems, including our different servers, and applications. We use it for the maintenance of the main server in the laboratory.

What is most valuable?

The ability to connect with monitoring is very useful for us. It's great that we can monitor different applications. We can even monitor remotely.

I recently tested the solution's ability to hold up to rebooting machines remotely and we were able to do so with ease.

There are lots of great features and functionality within the solution.

So far, we've found the solution to be quite stable.

The product has a large community and therefore has lots of documentation around various aspects of the product.

What needs improvement?

I don't recall coming across missing features. It's a fairly complete solution.

The user interface could be a bit better. They could update it a bit.

The solution offers very good stability. It doesn't have bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's been reliable from the very start.

I have never tried to scale the solution. I can't speak to its level of scalability.

However, it is my hope that it is. It's important to be able to scale it.

We only currently have 10 people on the solution. It's a small group and therefore we haven't yet had a need to expand it.

While I haven't ever actually reached out to technical support, I'd say that it would important to have access. If there was a question the community couldn't answer it would be nice to know if we could turn to Zabbix directly for assistance.

We did previously use a different solution prior to Zabbix. It was a suite of applications that included, for example, DLP and myShell. I haven't used it in a very long time, so I can't speak too much about my experience with it or how it compares.

The initial setup isn't overly complex. It's largely straightforward.

There's also a fairly sizable community around the solution and there's just so much documentation and insights from other users you have access to, therefore it's very easy to find answers to your questions when it comes to implementation.

We use a free community version of the solution. We don't have to pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not really a user. I deploy the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Being able to monitor almost any device in one location is extremely convenient

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring systems and services that don't have their own solution in our environment. Single place to monitor multiple systems and processes. We monitor servers, websites, key card devices, etc..

How has it helped my organization?

Before we didn't really have a centrally managed monitoring solution, so adding this product has been a blessing as we are able to actively monitor and react accordingly. Being able to monitor almost any device in one location is extremely convenient.

What is most valuable?

The feature which I like the most would have to be the GUI. At first, I was put off, as I felt it was too complex or busy. Upon using it to setup devices, I found it was well laid out and has come a long way.

The agents are also very easy to install and manage, making this more of a turnkey solution for most.

What needs improvement?

I wish it had more options for personalizing the product, such as being able to include your company's logo without editing text files. More templates for specific devices.

More than three years.

None yet. Runs solid on very light resources.

Not yet, but as of now, it's a single server - might have to dive in at some point with the proxy configuration.

I have used publicly available resources. I can't comment on their customer service.

We used Cacti, which worked well for our uses. We moved because we needed a more updated solution that had support for a myriad of devices. The community is also active in development of plugins.

It's a decently complex system to get setup, it's not a simple package based system (well technically it is, but not as easy as others). It's also not as extreme as Nagios or Prometheus. We added Grafana, which made it a little more complex.

In-house team.

Time and knowledge. Without it, we wouldn't have known of current issues in our environments. It allows us to deep dive and get to the core issues quicker.

It's open source, so no cost/licensing needed.

Nagios, Prometheus, Check_MK, Adagios, Icinga 2, Zenoss, PRTG, and Cacti.

What other advice do I have?

Zabbix coupled with Grafana (there's a plugin for Zabbix, very easy to setup), is a great monitoring stack. Leveraging "Let's Encrypt for SSL" is also a must!

MD
ICT Network Infrastructure & Architect at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
A straightforward setup, stable, and offers flexible licensing

• "The flexible licensing model is one of the solution's most valuable aspects. It really allows for great flexibility for companies."
  • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used to monitor both on-premises and cloud infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The NetFlow integration really could be improved upon. In general, integration with other solutions and services needs to be worked on.

The documentation could be improved. I find that it's a bit limited.

It runs on a Linux backend, and we're using it to monitor our Windows platforms. For people who are not familiar with Linux, there may be issues. You do need to have a bit of Linux knowledge before beginning, otherwise, you may have problems working with it.

We've been using the solution for two months at this point. It hasn't been a very long period of time.

The stability of the solution is good. It's reliable. There aren't glitches or bugs. It doesn't crash or freeze. We haven't had any issues.

The scalability is quite good. If you need to scale the solution up, you can do so. It's pretty straightforward. We haven't had any issues so far.

In our organization, we have about 1,600 users on the product.

We most likely will increase usage in the future.

We've used technical support in the past. They have different platforms that handle requests at different levels. The gold platform, for example, offers support but is slightly limited.

The initial setup isn't complex at all. It was very straightforward.

In terms of deployment, it takes about a day, however, you have to add in all the other items that you're monitoring. We deployed everything and then rolled it out over the course of a couple of weeks.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need to solicit the help of a vendor, consultant, or integrator.

The licensing is great on Zabbix. It's very flexible and great for various types of businesses.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Zabbix.

I'd recommend the solution. It's easy to use and it's been quite useful. New users do have to be pretty comfortable with Linux, however, otherwise, they may have a hard time adapting to the system.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

Tchidat Linda
Engineer of Telecommunication at Gold Telecom
Improved design, easy to learn, and open-sourced

• "The solution's design has recently changed and it is visually pleasing with more color, for example, there is blue, black, and white."
  • "When using this solution in enterprise monitoring, you are able to see that there are some issues with equipment that could be causing a problem. Sometimes you want to make a root command that you do not want to be executed automatically. What we have tried to do is open an SSH session directly from the solution's interface but it is not possible."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for network monitoring. When I was in engineering school I used this solution and I found it really good. I wanted to bring the functionality of this solution to my community to show the engineers in my enterprise. There is not a lot of understanding of network monitoring and I am hoping to bring to them my knowledge.

What is most valuable?

The solution's design has recently changed and it is visually pleasing with more color, for example, there is blue, black, and white. If you are a new user it is very simple, you do not need to be highly technical to use it. You can rapidly learn how to use this solution.

What needs improvement?

When using this solution in enterprise monitoring, you are able to see that there are some issues with equipment that could be causing a problem. Sometimes you want to make a root command that you do not want to be executed automatically. What we have tried to do is open an SSH session directly from the solution's interface but it is not possible. I have heard from others that there are scripts that can manage this task easily but I have not figured it out. In the area of the solution where you write the command, it is not very user-friendly and could be improved. We want the ability to write commands and execute them manually.

Additionally, I would like the ability to be able to have network mapping for this solution. I use network mapping to monitor networks and there are not very many tools that are able to do it or if there is a tool, it is not easy.

The color scheme of the interface could improve by allowing more variations or user customization.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 10 people using the solution in my company.

In my community, we were previously using Nagios and Cacti.

The solution is free. However, many open-sourced tools start out free but eventually start charging, I hope this solution stays free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zabbix an eight out of ten.

MO
Windows Server Technology Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to install, and stable

• "It's a flexible solution."
  • "Outside of the normal standard monitoring, I would like to extend patching, importing patching, and supporting patching for Windows Servers."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently doing a POC. For now, it is our testing tool.

We use it mostly as a monitoring infrastructure for services and applications, and it also monitors the capacity.

What is most valuable?

As we are still in the test phase, we have not yet explored all of the features offered in this product.

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

My main intention is to support or use Zabbix to report patching for servers, or to somehow maintain the patching from Zabbix.

I have been using Zabbix for one year.

We are using the newest version.

Zabbix is a stable solution.

We have not yet tested the scalability of this solution. We tested it on a small group of devices, so it is difficult to say at this time.

We intentions to install more features on the device. During the testing, we don't have all of the resources to manage all installations.

We have approximately 40 users in our organization who are using Zabbix.

We have contacted technical support from Zabbix, and have spoken with partners from Poland.

I have more experience with the WhatsUp Gold Monitoring tool. I still have WhatsUp Gold but we are going to replace it.

We are testing other tools that are free.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy.

With the help of suppliers, it did not take much time to deploy. It was not complex.

As we were using it for testing, we were using suppliers.

We will need a team of experts for this solution as well as some external support.

There is no license but we need to pay for support.

Zabbix is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

With my current experience, I would rate Zabbix an eight out of ten.

Yugandhar Sarraju
Senior Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Straightforward interface and no issues with stability, but the discovery process is not fully automated

• "The most valuable feature is service assurance."
  • "Zabbix claims that there is an auto-discovery process but my team member was facing difficulty and was told that it's not really automatic, and there are some manual steps."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Zabbix as our network monitoring solution. We are now trying to understand how to use the service assurance functionality, as we would like to leverage Zabbix for this task.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is service assurance.

The interface is pretty straightforward. As long as the agent is running on another instance and Zabbix is able to connect to the agent, we haven't seen any issues.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Zabbix for the past month. We are conducting a proof of concept with it.

We are not yet using Zabbix very much. We have spawned the Zabbix server and only a couple of AWS instances are running, which it is monitoring. This is to make sure there are no billing problems in AWS. At the end of the day, we stop the Zabbix monitoring. The next day when we come in, we start it again.

At this point, with our limited usage, we have not seen any issues with stability. Perhaps, once it has been running full-time for a week or longer, we may hit those types of issues.

During our PoC, we only have two technical people working with it.

This is the first monitoring product that we have worked with. Prior to this, we were dealing with NMS and CMS products.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. We did not face any issues and it was up and running within a day.

Our in-house technician completed the deployment.

This is an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, it is too early for me to recommend Zabbix one way or the other, as we have just scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

DM
IT Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and manage but delivers too many false positives

• "The solution is stable."
  • "The user interface could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for monitoring servers, printers, and network switches.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use and manage.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the product well.

There is a free open-source version of the solution.

What needs improvement?

I don't like to use the solution for the most part.

I get too many false positives. I get a problem one minute and then it's okay the next. That happens a lot. I hate that.

The user interface could be better.

The performance needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for six years or so. I've used the solution for a while at this point.

I don't have any issues with the stability. The performance isn't great, however. That said, it doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't really any bugs.

The scalability is good. A company can easily expand it.

We have about five users who monitor it constantly. I no longer manage it myself.

I've never contacted technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I need to be able to monitor stuff and I can't monitor these things now, so I am using other products for it.

The installation happened a long time ago. I can't recall what the implementation was like in terms of if it was complete or straightforward.

You only need one person to handle the maintenance.

I'm using a free version. I do not pay any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution. I really don't like it as it generates a lot of false information. That said, it is a good monitoring solution, for what it's worth.

Download our free Zabbix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.