ND
Responsible Infrastructure and Production at Oasis SmartSim
Open-source, easy to implement, and the dashboard is customizable

• "Zabbix is very easy to implement."
  • "If you want to use all of the features then you have to pay a licensing fee."

What is our primary use case?

We have two Zabbix servers, deployed locally and in our New York datacenter, and we use them for monitoring traffic. It is an order processing system and we need to schedule and monitor our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Zabbix is very easy to implement.

The interface is customizable, so we can create the dashboard that we need.

What needs improvement?

We need to set it up step by step in order to ensure that it is stable and works properly.

If you want to use all of the features then you have to pay a licensing fee.

I have been using Zabbix for approximately one year.

We use Zabbix on a daily basis and we haven't had any issues with stability.

We have not needed to expand it because our infrastructure is very small. It includes a server and some VMs.

When we have a problem, we search the web site for how to resolve it. We have never had an issue that necessitated contacting technical support.

In my last job, I worked with Nagios. I found that Zabbix is a good system for monitoring and it is easier to implement, and it is also less expensive.

The initial setup is easy to do. It involves implementing agents in the server, but it is not difficult.

We implemented it with our in-house team that is also responsible for maintenance. This includes updates to the product. There is a team of three administrators who manage it.

Zabbix is free but if you use it in production then you have to pay for it. It is not expensive if you compare it to something like the Amazon monitoring system.

Also, it is an open-source product, although some features are available at an extra cost.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great tool and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

FK
IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Poor server monitoring, does not scale well, and lacks performance

• "The implementation process is very straightforward."
  • "The server monitoring could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our company works with the health ministry in our country. We implement the solution for them and they use it as a monitoring solution in order to watch trends and server patterns, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well for monitoring our on-site server.

Sometimes, the server can go down. When this happens, the solution has the capability to alert us to problems and will automatically notify us of any issues via email.

The implementation process is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The server monitoring could be better.

I'm not well versed in Zabbix, so it's difficult for someone like me to handle the setup. They should work to make the implementation much easier. It would improve the useability of the solution.

The solution needs to have a higher quality of performance. Performance is very important to our clients, and this solution doesn't perform very well. The quality and code are difficult.

The solution does not scale well.

We've been using the solution for one year.

HIgh performance is important to us, and this solution just doesn't offer it. It's unreliable. The quality just isn't there right now.

Our company needs a solution that can scale, and this product does not offer good scalability. It's one of its biggest downsides. If a company needs to expand the solution, they'll find that they won't be able to effectively.

We haven't had any issues with technical support. They've satisfied our needs to far. We don't have any complaints about the service they offer their clients.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's fairly easy to implement and set up.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Zabbix user. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution three out of ten. I would rate it higher if there was better scalability potential and the performance was of a much higher quality.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jackson-Pierre
Président / Directeur des services informatiques at Atig network
Fast, lightweight, and easy to install

• "The basic setup is very easy."
  • "I am having difficulties connecting it to Grafana, as well as some of the other plugins like Kibana."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zabbix on my Raspberry Pi and it is set up to monitor our network. We are testing it at the moment to see how it responds to our network, which includes laptops and workstations.

I have not gone into great detail with the product, although I expect to be doing that within the next months.

What is most valuable?

It is not hard to integrate.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Zabbix for the past year.

The stability is okay, although, at this point, I'm only using it on a Raspberry Pi. I need to set it on a higher level server to see exactly how it responds on the network and how to deal with it. In this testing phase, it is stable, but when I'm ready to put it live into production then we will see how it reacts.

I haven't tried to scale it, yet. I am the only one using it because I'm performing the testing.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The basic setup is very easy. I installed it in a Raspberry Pi with a Linux version. It took perhaps 20 minutes to install, at the most.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product I can recommend to others.

Overall, I think that this is a great tool, although I need to spend more time with it to see exactly what the different features are, and how I can use it to implement my network better. There are a few glitches that need to be fixed, such as making the plugins easier to install.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RC
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scales well, provides good visibility, and the alarm monitoring is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is the alert and alarm monitoring."
  • "If Zabbix had a better dashboard then it would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

I was using Zabbix as a monitoring tool at my previous job, although I have left that company and am no longer using this type of product. We were using it for monitoring routers and a few thousand other devices. We had visibility as to their status.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the alert and alarm monitoring.

What needs improvement?

If Zabbix had a better dashboard then it would be nice.

I had been working with Zabbix for three years.

The stability is very good.

We had between 20 and 30 users and more than 2,000 devices.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support.

Prior to using Zabbix, we used Nagios. We switched because it became unstable and clumsy when we grew to have more than 2,000 devices. Zabbix was much better in terms of scalability.

I don't recall all of the details related to the initial setup, although I remember that it was not quite easy. We had to conduct quite a few searches on Google during the process in order to properly understand how to install it. If I remember correctly, there were a couple of errors.

We had two engineers who were responsible for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Zabbix is an awesome tool and I would use it again, rather than another one. For us, Nagios was a disaster and Zabbix was the savior. We didn't require any functionality that it didn't already have. My only complaint is that the dashboard needs to be improved.

Cesar Danecke
IT Supervisor at HORSCH BRASIL
Every new asset placed in the environment can be automatically detected

• "Every new asset placed in the environment can be automatically detected, predicting human failures."
  • "Correlation of events would be a wonderful addition."

What is our primary use case?

• Monitor network assets
  • Data links
  • Disk space
  • Physical servers
  • More than 1k virtual machines
  • Websites

How has it helped my organization?

• Assertive monitoring
  • Customized messages
  • Configurable screens
  • Division by teams
  • Customizable alerts
  • Automated call opening
  • Mobile connections
  • Iintegrations

What is most valuable?

The discovery functionality. Every new asset placed in the environment can be automatically detected, predicting human failures.

What needs improvement?

The product is already great. Wanting something more could take the focus off the product. However, correlation of events would be a wonderful addition.

More than eight years.

No issues.

There are no scalability issues. The components scale.

We have not had any events that the team has not resolved.

The system has good documentation and a community full of talent.

I have already used Nagios, PRTG. After using Zabbix, I did not try new tools. I adapted and believe it would be difficult to convert all the rules to another system.

It is easy to deploy. The installation process is well-documented.

The implementation was carried out by an internal team. We acquired knowledge by reading manuals.

It is worth every cent to pay or even study to do your own installation.

I had a very good references to Zabbix, but I did have a look at Pandora FMS and Nagios.

What other advice do I have?

I believe in the system's potential.

Hybrid Cloud

GT
Project Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Straightforward to set up, and works well for monitoring our internal network

• "The initial setup was not complex."
  • "The graphical user interface could be customized a little bit more, and also the dashboard could be more friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we are using an on-premise installation, and just now we are exploring the cloud installation. It's basically the same one. It's a pre-production and production environment. We use the on-premises for testing, and we have the one with the cloud installation also.

We are using this solution for monitoring our internal network and infrastructure in the company, and also for monitoring a couple of our customers' installations. Not only their network but also their services, and to reduce consumption.

What needs improvement?

I would like to recommend the possibility of being integrated for the monitoring of the Micro Strategy System environment and clusters of machine Micro Services.

I have been using Zabbix for perhaps six months

This solution is stable.

It's a scalable product. We have 20 users in our organization who are using it.

We don't have any experience with technical support. We haven't had any reason to contact them because we have been able to address any issues on our side.

The initial setup was not complex. It took two hours to install.

My colleague, along with one other internal team member deployed this solution. We did not use anyone externally.

What other advice do I have?

We have only just started using this solution a couple of months ago, but we plan to continue using it in the future.

I can recommend this product to others who are interested in using it.

GK
Deputy Manager - Infrastructure at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for monitoring but complicated to configure and it needs to be more customizable

• "The most valuable feature is monitoring."
  • "Having a more customizable interface and dashboard would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Zabbix for monitoring our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is monitoring.

What needs improvement?

Having a more customizable interface and dashboard would be an improvement.

The interface could be more user-friendly because it is can be really complicated if an end-user has to configure it. The administrator usually has to take care of that.

I would like to see more SNMP and storage support.

Application monitoring should be included in the future. I would like to see voice telephony monitoring and database monitoring.

The reporting functionality is limited.

I have been working with Zabbix for the past four years.

This is a stable product.

We have had no problem with scalability. The only people who use it are the IT staff, which is between 10 and 12 people.

As we are using the free version, we do not have a support contract.

We are using the free, open-source version.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a product that I recommend. Instead, I recommend using SolarWindows or ManageEngine for monitoring because there are more features on Zabbix with limited usability. Reports are also limited. Basically, you get more features in SolarWinds or ManageEngine.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Petro Khytriak
Infrastructure Automation Lead at SoftServe Ltd.
Has good stability and scalability

• "Zabbix is both stable and scalable."
  • "For us, the initial setup was complex"

What is our primary use case?

I implement Zabbix for large companies with over 5,000 employees.

What needs improvement?

In the near future, we are going to see integration with its cloud platform.

We would like to use it for RBI, for service and credibility reports for our manager and management staff, and we also hope to use it to deliver customer scripts, etc. Currently, because we monitor over 5,000 hosts and servers, we need to use open source.

I have used Zabbix for the last five years.

Zabbix is both stable and scalable. As I mentioned earlier, we scale more than 5,000 hosts.

Currently, our own team provides support, but in the future, we may use Zabbix support.

We also use Nagios, but we are going to stop using this solution as it has specific limitations that we require.

For us, the initial setup was complex. We plan on integrating Zabbix with Prometheus and Grafana for a smooth relationship between dashboards.

We purchased Zabbix for a good price, including support. It's cheaper than Datadog and ScienceLogic.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Zabbix a rating of nine, strictly because we would like to see better integration with mobile TeleCloud.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Zabbix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.