Zabbix Overview

Zabbix is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to Centreon: Zabbix vs Centreon

What is Zabbix?

Zabbix is the ultimate enterprise-level software designed for real-time monitoring of millions of metrics collected from tens of thousands of servers, virtual machines and network devices. Zabbix is Open Source and comes at no cost.

Zabbix Buyer's Guide

Download the Zabbix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Zabbix Customers

Bodybuilding.com, LLC., ITtelligent Consulting Services,Eltele AS, Total Server Solutions, LLC., ChinaNetCloud

Zabbix Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MD
Monitoring Manager at Skytoll
DBforBIX and auto-discovery are valuable features

What is our primary use case?

To monitoring our prod, pre-prod, and test environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Simple, we know everything about our infrastructure, problems, etc.

What is most valuable?

DBforBIX Auto-discovery.

What needs improvement?

It's OK for me as is, but some frontend improvements would be nice.

More than five years.
AK
User at Fujitsu
MSP
The auto-config feature is invaluable

What is our primary use case?

Infrastructure monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

Excellent monitoring tool.

What is most valuable?

Auto-config.

What needs improvement?

Multitenancy.

Still implementing.
Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Security Specialist at SON Corporate Group
Enables the ability to execute a custom script on devices to solve problems in seconds.

What is our primary use case?

* OS monitoring with SNMP or Zabbix agent (Windows(server and client), Linux and mac) * Database monitoring with Zabbix agent (mariadb-oracle) * Device monitoring whit SNMP (Cisco devices, Mikrotik and firewalls like sophos nad juniper)

What other advice do I have?

When you learn how to work with it, you will love it. It is a complete network management system that will meet all your needs.
WJ
Assistant Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to monitor and manage our servers

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of servers (about 10,000). We monitor and manage them using Zabbix.

• "Zabbix can use old data to current data to set the threshold. We can use previous data to set the threshold."
  • "We use it to monitor and manage our servers."
  • "I want Zabbix to improve the UX/UI. Zabbix doesn't use a JavaScript chart for images, and I want them to improve this."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a 10 out of 10. It is the best product. I really love Zabbix because it has a lot of functions and works well. My advice is to use Zabbix. When selecting a vendor, the number of customers is very important along with the price.
Information Technology Supervisor at PUCPR
Every new asset placed in the environment can be automatically detected

What is our primary use case?

* Monitor network assets * Data links * Disk space * Physical servers * More than 600 virtual machines * Websites * Logins into automated systems

• "Every new asset placed in the environment can be automatically detected, predicting human failures."
  • "Correlation of events would be a wonderful addition."

What other advice do I have?

I believe in the system's potential.
BS
Sr. Linux Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
We are able to do problem determination on runaway processes

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor Linux systems. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to do problem determination on runaway processes.

What is most valuable?

Graphing processes. It can send messages to our ticketing system. It has good graphs of what is going on within the operating system.

What needs improvement?

I would like to better be able to monitor Oracle processes.

The stability is good.

The scalability is good.

I have not used technical support.

We did not previously use a different…
System & Network Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easier to maintain, configure and less expensive in the total cost of ownership.

What is our primary use case?

Monitor systems and networks devices and web applications. Increase monitoring by including powershell script and automation on incidence responses.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice is: * To read the documentation before implementing. * Test the software with the appliance (i.e., only for testing and not for the production environment). * Participate with the community on the forum.
Gerente de Informática at a tech services company
Move from a reactionary approach to a proactive evaluation of equipment or systems

• "Health and communication links availability."
  • "Look and feel."

What other advice do I have?

You’ll be pleasantly surprised if you give the product a chance.
PostgreSQL Database Administrator at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives Flexibility Of Building Checks Without Relying On Special Plugins

What other advice do I have?

If you’re into the Open Source and freedom principles, don’t mind getting your hands dirty, and have the technical skills, Zabbix is a good choice. Commercial support is available if you don’t want to go at it alone, lack sufficient technical skills, and you need help to keep the project going.
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Integration With Other Open Source Solutions Expand Possibilities For Data Visualization

What other advice do I have?

In our opinion Zabbix is an amazing monitoring solution which allows for any service or device to be monitored. In most cases, integration is supported out-of-the-box. In some cases, additional scripting or minor development is required.
Head of computer network and telecommunications division at a financial services firm
with Zabbix and some programming experience, you can monitor absolutely everything
Senior Consultant at a tech services company
The most valuable features are the monitoring and the ease in which we can set it up at customer sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the monitoring and the ease with which we can set it up at customer sites with our custom Zabbix proxy and tools. It is very agile and it is easy to do custom setups.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard and the graph section could be a little bit more professional.

We have been using Zabbix for about five years.

There were no issues with stability, but we needed to adjust some of the standard values in the configuration. However, that was to be expected.

I haven't scaled yet, but we plan to do this with two front-ends, two Zabbix cores, and HA MySQL.

How are customer

System Integrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalability is extremely valuable.

What is most valuable?

Scalability, everything can be monitored.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is weak, if you want something better you must write your own SQL scripts/

3 years.

Sometimes.

Yes, web-page Zabbix server, database can be separate machine.

Never used the technical support.

Yes, previously used Cacti or Nagios but Zabbix has node communication.

Straightforward, if you understand basic things about databases or web services, it's easy.

What other advice do I have?

Consulting System Engineer at ENEA
We value the auto-host discovery, template import, and bulk import/export features.

• "We value the auto-host discovery, template import, bulk import/export features. Newer versions also add nice features, such as multi-IP per host."
  • "We had some scalability issues with a large number of nodes."

What other advice do I have?

It is unnecessary if you have below 100 hosts. Otherwise, it's a great tool, with a nice web interface.
IT Administrator at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
The dashborad helps us to anticipate problems.

What is most valuable?

Dashboard and the customization of the items and triggers are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

With just one look at the dashboard every morning, we can anticipate problems.

What needs improvement?

It should be easy to modify the front end.

I have used this solution for five years (started out with v1.8).

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Previously, we were using Nagios. The front end was poor so we switched over to Zabbix.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

Associate Solutions Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
By proactively monitoring, it helped us to fix problems before any major disaster. Dashboards and reports can be improved.

• "It provides high scalability, alerting, notification, templating, and end-to-end security."
  • "There are a lot of areas for improvement, specifically in the dashboards and reports functionalities."

What other advice do I have?

An in-depth knowledge of the product is needed to customize it, according to your customer's needs. It is advisable to hire a consultant and do a PoC (proof of concept) before arriving at conclusion.
IT Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I like its versatility the most. Its template is another valuable feature as hosts can be easily added.

• "It not only provides the preconfigured item monitoring feature, but it is also easy to configure custom items."
  • "Even though it’s such a powerful monitoring system, it would be more helpful if it had a flexible UI."

What other advice do I have?

The documentation has all the information you need.
Linux System Administrator at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
The solution allows us to monitor critical parts of our systems, track performance and utilization, and prevent outages.

What other advice do I have?

Make a plan for components you want to monitor, how these components are related, what groups and templates you want to create. Also at the beginning don't be afraid to use templates provided by Zabbix - it will help you start. After that you can slowly tweak them or add new ones. Make the database backup - that should be obvious.
Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
My extended experience with Zabbix or how to cook toasts
Hi everyone, I want to share a story about cooking toasts and tell you how we were expanding the functionality of Zabbix by a coil of wire and an integrated circuit Open Source solutions. First things first. Imagine, you work in an organization (and it can be yours) where its business process is supported by one or more IT systems. There is a monitoring system. Then a little blurred vision, and it is not clear whether /the industrial system is free or Open Source. However, there aresituations when all the sensors aregreen, but the business process gives unexplained setbacks, showing a decrease of key indicators. Matter-of-factly, the situation is out of control and your intervention is required. It’s quite a common case. A systematical approach for solving this problem will provide a…
Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Top ReviewerTop 20
Highly recommended open source monitoring software for servers and network monitoring
Zabbix provides flexible functionality over Nagios and other open source monitoring softwares like opennms, zenoss etc. It is widely used in market these days due to its easy administration and configuration. Pros:-  1. Zabbix provides a user friendly GUI interface for administration and configuration for monitoring servers and network.  2. Zabbix is open source software, so no licenses needs to be purchased.  3. Zabbix clients can be configued easily by installing Zabbix client software on client machines on the network. Zabbix client machines can be of either windows, linux or any unix machine.  4. User parameters can be configured for customized scripts.  5. Configuration/administration documentations are available on official web site of Zabbix and…
IT Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Popular
Nagios vs. Zabbix vs. PRTG vs. Spiceworks vs. Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor
I have researched a quite a few network monitoring tools which can be used for various monitoring purposes of not only the servers, but the intermediate routers as well. There are majorly three types of these softwares. Ones which are completely open-source, you can do almost anything you want using these, but they require quite some expertise before you can use them. Then there are the ones that are not open source, the enterprise softwares and cost you some money, but on the other hand, they are extremely easy to set-up and learn. You can have them up and running in a matter of minutes. And then there are those which are completely cloud based. They can be free of cost or charge some money depending on the software. The good thing about these is that you don’t have to install any…
Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Flexible but the UI is hard to get used to.

Valuable Features:

Zabbix is very flexible and scalable.

Room for Improvement:

The UI is hard to get used to.

Use of Solution:

2 years
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Zabbix sends alerts which are useful to prevent server outages.

What is most valuable?

The e-mail and SMS alerts are two features I have found valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Zabbix sends alerts e.g space on drives etc... which is useful as a prevention of server outage.

I have been using this solution for 3 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

We previously used Spiceworks.

The setup was…
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
ZABBIX is a 'all-in-on' and 'true opensource' monitoring solution but needs needs improved reporting functions

What other advice do I have?

People need do a POC (Prove of Concept) to check if ZABBIX will fit in their needs. We also have a lot of blogs talking about 'Monitoring Solutions' and a lot of 'comparisons', but I think the best way to start is to choose to work with a ZABBIX Partner around the world and talk about your needs.
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy product with all the features you need but it would be nice if it had predictive trending.

What other advice do I have?

Tweak the standard templates and make sure you don't run the DB on a virtual platform.
Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Chose Zabbix over Nagios but wouldn’t suggest an in-house Zabbix implementation without a technical staff

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that its good to have a clear understanding of the goals you are looking to fulfill with the monitoring system, the objectives must be clear, also the environment in which the system will be implemented and the capacities (hardware, people, time, etc). There are a lot of aspects to take into consideration when choosing and implementing a monitoring system so invest as much time as possible in planning carefully. Zabbix is a great product, with great flexibility and I'm sure can be adequate to most of the situations, but maybe it's not the best choice in some scenarios, so plan…
Manager of Development at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
No comparison between Nagios and Zabbix. Zabbix wins hands down.
IMO there is no comparison between Nagios and Zabbix. Zabbix wins hands down. Having worked with Zabbix since 1.4 it has evolved into a great product and the features coming into 2.x are amazing. Some features that Zabbix has that Nagios is lacking: - Auto Registration - Auto Discovery (agent devices, snmp, etc..) - Aggregate Graphs (this is very useful when looking at the overall picture) - Distributed Monitoring - Windows Service Discovery (coming in 2.x) - Native JMX Support (coming in 2.x) There are many other features that Nagios just doesn't have, not to mention the ease of use.
Engineer at DevScope
Great for monitoring several network services but reporting capabilities has room for improvement
For how long have you used this product? - Approximately since Jan/2012 Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - The ability to monitor IT Services (SLA) as a whole and not just counters on particular systems. Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions? - It provided us with the ability to monitor on a reliable way service levels acquired from several network services provided by interconnect devices. What areas of this product have room for improvement? - With no doubt one of the areas that has a lot to improve is the reporting capability. Zabbix is a fantastic system for technicians but not as good as the competition to build reports, specially reports for management/not technical. Did you encounter any…
Senior Manager of Engineering with 501-1,000 employees
Top Reviewer
Extremely powerful and flexible but the auto-discovery function has room for improvement
On a scale from 1-5 (1=worst, 5=best), how would you rate this product overall compared to similar products? - In my experience there are two classes of network management systems, Open-source systems that are generally free, and commercial systems complete with support as well as some advanced self configuring features. Zabbix actually fits into both classes, but in my view it has more in common with the open source systems. - Compared to SIMILAR products, I would give it a 5. This means as compared to similar open-source tools that do not have a strong network auto-discovery feature. - By network auto-discovery, I mean features found in tools like SolarWinds, NetMRI and other commercial products that have part of the configuration work done in advance. For example, when I…
Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Nagios vs Zabbix
Everyone is familiar with the product Nagios, which is often considered the de-facto standard for monitoring. The other tools in that general category are OpenNMS, Zenoss, Groundworks, HyperIQ and others. I am only talking here about tools that would qualify in the NMS category: something that really tracks different systems and devices across the entire infrastructure. A couple of years ago, I was so tired of Nagios that I was ready to try something new. A couple of tools didn’t make the list, simply because of the “fremium” model. The basics are there, but anything more typically carries a hefty price tag. I decided to try Zabbix and I have pretty much been a fan ever since. One caveat here, is that I am talking about version 1.8.x. Version 2.0 just came out and offers a few notable…