Zeenyx AscentialTest OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zeenyx AscentialTest is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Selenium HQ: Zeenyx AscentialTest vs Selenium HQ

What is Zeenyx AscentialTest?
AscentialTest™ by Zeenyx Software is an enterprise level Test Management System that encompasses Test Planning, Development, Data Management, Execution and Defect Tracking for applications running on Windows, the web, java, dotNet, terminals and PowerBuilder. This “next generation” testing solution allows users to build robust automated and manual tests from reusable components created by its powerful object recognition engine without recording or scripting. Our patented ‘snapshot’ technology generates graphical representations of the application under test which allows users to build ‘Steps’ by dragging and dropping objects in a visual test editor. Reusable Steps are combined to form a multitude of automated and manual tests that are easy to create and maintain. With AscentialTest, companies realize a dramatic reduction in test creation and maintenance times, resulting in increased productivity and lower costs.

Zeenyx AscentialTest is also known as AscentialTest.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Zeenyx AscentialTest Customers
TJX Companies, Nuance Communications, Ericsson Inc., Transatlantic Reinsurance Company, Accenture, Nutrition Coordinating Center, Univ. of MN, iConectiv, Fortress Software, and LMP Corp.

Archived Zeenyx AscentialTest Reviews (more than two years old)

LokeshKumar
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to have a single test run across multiple sets of data

• "If you use the PowerBuilder application, do choose AscentialTest without thinking twice."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the User Interface."

What is our primary use case?

We have an insurance application where the tests need to be executed in both a testing and production environment (the difference between the two is the database).

Each of the tests should be developed to address different sets of data (Data Driven Testing). A large volume of data is analyzed by comparing multiple Excel worksheets.

How has it helped my organization?

Zeenyx AscentialTest is well known for data-driven testing with its inbuilt data tables, which help in having a single test run across multiple sets of data. The drag and drop feature to develop tests/plans has helped in executing the test much easier and faster.

The regression suite was built much faster and helped in realizing our ROI within six months.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is the 'Restricted String', used for objects which have a variable number of items. This helps in selecting the input into the data table because it appears as a dropdown box. Another feature is the Plan creationit is very easy to create and execute an arbitrary number of similar tests that differ only in the data.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the user interface. UI looks to be more trendy and attractive .

I am looking forward to API testing and mobile testing with Snapshot technology allowing drag and drop capabilities that are similar to Windows and the web.

Five years.

It is a very stable solution. The test maintenance is low, where one change in objects/steps will cause the change to be made in the entire project automatically.

Tests are solid when working in two different environments, as every step is reusable.

In terms of the scalability, there is a change in the requirements every three months, but the performance is still the same and it works absolutely fine.

Excellent always reachable and solutions are immediate almost all time.

We have worked with other solutions. We were not satisfied with the data-driven testing support in the PowerBuilder app, which led us to try a POC with AscentialTest. We were really happy with the capability to identify custom objects, as well as support for the huge number of items in the list views.

It was straight forward like any other normal installer

Implemented through an in house team and level of expertise is good in test automationa nd AscentialTest

The ROI was quick, and is based on the following:

1. Developed fifteen regression tests in less than four months, executing the same tests twice per week.
  2. Manual testers took three days of effort to perform testing on a huge volume of data in Excel, whereas with automation was achieved in an hour.
  3. ROI was realized from the sixth month, onwards.

Setup is very easy. It's just like any normal installer.

The pricing is reasonable at first. Once it starts generating ROI, which for us took between three and six months, one will not even think about the investment.

We evaluated a few tools but there was a lot of coding required. Since it was an application with limited requirements and budget, our customer preferred AscentialTest. Using it requires minimal coding knowledge, and it is easy to develop tests with very good support for custom and dynamic data from the PowerBuilder app.

What other advice do I have?

If you use the PowerBuilder application, do choose AscentialTest without thinking twice.

It is the best choice, with capabilities to identify custom classes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Matryxsoft is a Zeenyx partner and has been working for 3 years with a number of their clients.
PradeepKumar8
Senior Test Consultant at Matryxsoft Tech
AT has got Unique features like snapshot technology, drag and drop. Easy to work and develop

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of AscentialTest is for automating Powerbuilder application. We have two environments (Dev and Prod) which points to different databases where we need to verify the expected data with actual data. These data's are huge and are present in excel format. Needed a single test framework which works across all the environment. AT perfectly suited for these kind of environment as a single object , step and test worked across both environment tests. AT has a very simple way of handling both the application tests.

How has it helped my organization?

We used AscentialTest tool for one of our clients, where we needed to automate their test cases where we had to compare two excel sheets which had huge data with respect to each cell.

The application was built on PowerBuilder application. By using AscentialTest, we were able to automate the test scenarios with ease as each and every element were supported by AT and also the powerful path statements helped in identifying the element and the support from the AT team was excellent and saved a lot of time and effort which was required by manual tester

Productivity increased by almost 10 times after using AT for test automation as manually it was taking almost a day or three days (sometimes a week) effort to do data verification of expected and actual excel files with huge no of columns and rows (Approx 50 columns and 1000's of rows)

What is most valuable?

Almost all the features are very good. They have unique features: the snapshot technology, and the drag and drop. By using the above two features, you save a lot of time and effort in development and maintenance. There are some more features which are unique, render image and rendertext concept did help us to identify the element uniquely.

What needs improvement?

The product can be improved a little bit with regards to the UI as the panels are too many. This is the area where I feel improvement is needed.

AT , everything we develop is reusable and with the snapshot technology we can easily find the changes of the element with screenshots, hence the stability on the project is high and very high indeed.

It can be scaled 10 out of 10 for the application we have worked on as we all know Object identification is the heart of test automation and AT has identified each and every element on this application. Hence scalability is 10 from my end.

It was excellent in all ways from simple to complex solutions. Impressed!

We started with ascentialtest and it perfectly suited for our application.

Very easy and it is staright forward!

Vendor team, The level of expertise is next to the prodcut owners.

ROI was generated within the first year as we developed the test cases within a short period of time. Months effort was brought to few days effort.

Setup is easy and at zero cost. Just like a standard installer click on next next and AT is set up for you.

Pricing is comparatively okay for the development time it saves and the maintenance effort which is reduced drastically because of the tool features.

Licensing it's a floating and it works good for the organization.

NA

What other advice do I have?

AT stands out as best test automation tool for powerbuilder application for sure !

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for Matryxsoft , from here we work for our client .
Find out what your peers are saying about Zeenyx, SmartBear, SeleniumHQ and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LokeshKumar
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
You can build tests using drag and drop. AUT is not required.

What is most valuable?

Zeenyx AscentialTest has unique features that are unlike other automation tools. Being a QA professional, here is what I like about the product. Let me begin with its most valuable unique features. The Snapshot series feature enables testers not only to identify objects uniquely by specifying options (the path statement is strongly built), but also helps to build the tests using drag and drop. This means to build the test AUT is not required, which saves us a lot of time and helps in developing test faster.

The Add and Bind parameter feature allows testers not only to build reusable steps, but in creating inbuilt data and also helps to maintain user-defined records.

The TestSet feature is an interesting one that allows running different kinds of tests (sanity, smoke, regression, etc.) with a wide variety of include/exclude options (passed, failed, no run, blocked, automated tests, manual tests) to run in parallel (host-target model) with scheduler in place.

The SVN and JIRA features are integrated with the product, so one can perform all versioning actions (checkin, checkout, merge, etc.) and defect logging. This feature allows Jenkins execution with SVN, giving way for a continuous integration model.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a service-based company in India working for the retail industry in the US. Before we moved to AscentialTest from Silk Test, a regression suite of a massive 2300 test cases - having different modules of an application consisting of 20 Silk Test projects - were executed on Silk Test classic agent through plans in batches. This project had a lot of APIs and some unrecognized custom windows, which made the test execution difficult with partial automation and manual testing. It used to take 10 execution days. We migrated all these test cases into single project in AscentialTest. With Zeenyx support on APIs, all custom windows were recognized. The test set and Host Target feature helped us achieve the execution of the suite in three days.

What needs improvement?

An option for the test set and plan results to be mailed out would help the reports to be circulated to the concerned people in the testing line.

I have used it for two years.

Deployment is straightforward; just an installer. Like regular software, follow the instructions to install. After that, the installation license has to be copied to the installation path of the license folder and then you are ready to use the product.

We are a large group of testers working with the SVN feature of the product. I did observe a couple of crashes during SVN merge, which wasn't reproducible in the beginning. It occurred once in a while. Finally, we could capture and reproduce it. We reported it and it was resolved in a day or two, and we were good to work on it later.

We did execute a regression suite of 2300 test cases, with TestSet feature and Host Target model. We didn't notice any issues during our execution of the same. However, we did observe that aborting the test run of a test set in the middle of execution was taking a long time. This was reported and fixed immediately.

Customer service is excellent; very helpful in addressing the issues and never hesitant in accepting the issues from their end; very responsive and quick to provide assistance. Almost all of them were resolved within hours.

Technical support is also excellent; highly technical, understandable, helpful, thorough, great at follow up, always welcome feedback and ready to incorporate new features into the next version. I have never encountered such quick and responsive technical support as good as Zeenyx.

Prior to AscentialTest, one of our team did regression testing of these 2300 test cases scripted in Silk Test classic agent. Some custom windows were unrecognized with lack of support on classic agent. It was cumbersome, as not all the tests were in good shape for execution. Most of the tests were partially executed by automation and partially by manual; very time consuming.

We were provided with clear instructions on the initial setup from our onsite coordinator. It was not only for AscentialTest, but also with associated software such as SVN, diff tool, database and so on. We had no hiccups during this process, as it was very clear and easy to follow.

We did all the implementation of the 2300 test cases; massive project with 50% of them medium and complex scenarios. I did the architecture for migrating the entire Silk Test code to AscentialTest. The conversion process for Silk Test code is quite simple and all of the methods are very well and equivalently supported in AscentialTest, although a few things need to be done separately in AscentialTest. The Zeenyx support team has been excellent in helping us throughout our migration. Because of this, we could provide our client with a good ROI on their investment with almost all tests running successfully. Regression execution time was significantly reduced.

To our surprise, most of my team members (90%), except myself and a few others, are all graduates from an engineering background, who did all the migration and maintenance of this project.

We reduced the regression cycle from 10 days to three days, though it could be reduced further but we had dependency on configuration systems. It was a significant achievement from both the offshore and the onshore teams. Management really appreciated us and was happy.

When I worked in this project in my previous organization, I had no idea about the cost and licensing as it was bought form the client end. I now have the knowledge on it, as we are a Zeenyx partner. It is profitable, compared to other automation tools, in the long run, with its unique features coming in an all-in-one perpetual package and also considering their support.

I am not sure which solutions that were considered other than Silk Test support. I heard from my client that it was not feasible to continue with Silk Test classic agent support for their application changes.

What other advice do I have?

AscentialTest has evolved since I have used it. I have seen many changes in the panel views, search option made available in all the explorer views, grouping, image recognition, support on custom classes excellent. It is easy to learn and use for entry-level testers and building tests is easier. I highly recommend it for industries looking to transform manual/domain testers to automation testers.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Zeenyx partner. We help organization on providing automation solutions. Expertise in Migration of SilkTest to AscentialTest. Vast expertise in AscentialTest.
it_user593523
Senior Programmer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has the ability to take a snapshot of a form, and the controls on that page are dynamically recognized.

What is most valuable?

Our web site is dynamically generated to each user, so much so that the only testing solution we found was AscentialTest. The unique ability to take a snapshot of a form, have controls on that page dynamically recognized, combined with being able to store all our form variables in a SQL database helped us automate repeatable testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Automated repeatable tests that can be compared to a control, help find and keep bugs from being released into our live system.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a debugger added.

I have used it for two years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

What do I think about

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a debugger added.

I have used it for two years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

It is the best support I have ever worked with.

It is the best technical support I have ever worked with.

I spent some time with the staff at Zeenyx, helping me understand how things worked. Once I had this under my belt, I found AscentialTest to be easy to work with.

FFox
Senior Test Engineer at The American Hospital Association
Easy to create tests because you just drag and drop objects instead of writing code

What is our primary use case?

I’m constantly running into people struggling with automating their testing. Thanks to AscentialTest those days are long behind me. In 2015, after my company went through several failed attempts at automating one of the key applications at my company, my boss and I decided I would give it a try. We were somewhat invested in Selenium and I had past experience with QTP, but I hadn’t done any coding since 2003 and really didn’t want to script.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a major upgrade of the two key applications I automated. This will be the first time we have an automated regression to run.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to create tests because you just drag and drop objects instead of writing code.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if AscentialTest supported the license server being in the cloud.

Excellent.

Excellent!

My company had an outside vendor, as well as one of our employees, try to complete an automated solution using Selenium. A framework was created but the automation was never completed.

In 2015, after my company went through several failed attempts at automating one of the key applications at my company, my boss and I decided I would give it a try. We were somewhat invested in Selenium and I had past experience with QTP, but I hadn't done any coding since 2003 and really didn't want to script.

I decided to do a formal tool evaluation. I evaluated tools, services, and scripting languages. See the list below. Note AscentialTest is not on the list. We selected SmartBear's TestComplete.

Appvance

AutoMate

Fluent Lenium

HP Tools (QTP)

IBM Tools (Rational)

qTest eXplorer *** Not an automation tool. Captures manual test steps.

Pyramid Consulting *** Not an automation tool. Service vendor.

Ranorex

Reslet

Selenium

SmartScript

TestComplete

TestingAnywhere

TestQuest

ZAPTEST

TestComplete was very affordable and it was very easy to capture user workflows with TestComplete. But once I tried to capture and playback some of the unique aspects of our applications, was when I ran into problems. I spent 6 months working with technical support to resolve each hurdle. In the end, they agreed there were too many manual interventions (a.k.a. hacks). They said they had never seen anything like it.

Fast forward to the 2016 QUEST Conference and Expo. I stopped by the Zeenyx booth and met with Brian Le Suer. He gave me an overview and demo of AscentialTest. I was really impressed and excited about the tool and sorry I didn't know about the tool the year before. I started working with a trial version right after the conference.

It's been really easy to automate the same applications TestComplete struggled with. I have been able to automate two of our key applications in just a few months. I haven't even taken their training yet.

Customer Support has been amazing. I prefer to work with Brian who happens to be the CEO of the company. I didn’t realize that right away. When do you have access like that?

My boss is also happy with AscentialTest. I presented our automation using AscentialTest at the netFORUM Users Group Quarterly Meeting in 2017.

The initial setup was very easy and straightforward. I only had questions when switching from the trial to the licensed version.

it_user542244
Systems Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible Object recognition and snapshot integration for step creation.

What is most valuable?

• Excellent Support for PowerBuilder Applications.
  • Excellent Test Result Tracking and Test Result Reporting.
  • Re-usability of steps user defined parts.
  • Flexible Object recognition and snapshot integration for step creation.
  • Excel integration was an important factor for my projects.

How has it helped my organization?

In conjunction with our team we have integrated Automated Regression in to our core Reinsurance Application to monitor expected results against nightly production and test environment results. As recently as this month the regression scripts identified some key issues in our key quarterly reporting. Invaluable. To give some idea of the complexity of our applications, our core Reinsurance application was developed as an in-house product but has been sold to five other major companies.

What needs improvement?

The ability to copy internal tables would be nice.

2 years.

No issues.

No issues.

I am a 30+ year IT professional and the level of support I have gotten has been unparalleled. A special thanks to Brian Le Suer who has hand held myself and my team through the whole regression scripting process. We were all new to automated regression and Brian made the whole process easy and comfortable. It would not have gotten done without his support. A number of the functions we needed to complete were new approaches for Zeenyx Ascential and they always came back with an answer and solutions.

Excellent. All issues have always gotten resolved and the response time from all Ascential teams has been seamless.

No - we were hand held.

In-house with Ascential Support.

Yes. We had looked a a HP solution but were not comfortable with the support they would seem to offer for PowerBuilder.

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot more regression projects in the pipeline. With Ascential support at the level I currently receive I am very confident they will all be successful.

Michael Thompson
QA Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
I can easily capture snapshots to create my app object library, but, at least for now, it requires a licensed install and familiarity with the tool to generate reports.

What is most valuable?

Zeenyx AscentialTest has a great number of features but the most valuable to me are the ease with which capturing snapshots to create my app object library is one of my favorites. Many of our larger groups use the built-in Subversion feature that allows us to check files in/out seamlessly. We execute our tests from different virtual machines so we use the TestSet feature that sends all results to a MySQL database (we are an Oracle shop and do not have licenses for Microsoft SQL). Finally, running tests to our virtual machines using the Host/Target feature significantly reduces our test execution time.

Update Dec. 2015:

The latest version of Zeenyx AscentialTest (7.8) has incorporated many GUI changes that makes the product much more user-friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the Host/Target feature has allowed our various teams to significantly reduce execution time by sending our tests to virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

Zeenyx has been working on a feature for AscentialTest that will allow our non-automation people (business users, managers, etc.) access to a portal. This portal can be used by non-licensed users by hitting a URL to see the execution status for the testing effort. Currently, to access the testing reports, you must have a licensed install of AscentialTest and be familiar with the tool to generate reports.

3.5 years

AscentialTest is a local install license. Since we use a great deal of virtual test machines, deploying the install to our machines can be time-consuming. You can install AscentialTest as a full install or as a runtime but the install is easy to execute.

Being an automation tool, it seems as though Zeenyx can be very processor intensive while it executes tests. I think that many of the issues we have are the fault of our own network setup but occasionally, our tests run slow. However, AscentialTest rarely has issues.

We currently have groups with over 15 testers on the automation team that share a Zeenyx project. The product does have limitations on how certain project files are locked (checked-out). You may have to architect your project to allow for multiple files so that different users can checkout files. This is more of a limitation for version-control software.

I don't typically deal with any customer service issues related to Zeenyx AscentialTest. Any dealing I have with Zeenyx is done through their technical support group and they are more than happy to forward my question to the correct contact.

I have been working with different vendors in my role, I can say without hesitation that the Zeenyx Support Staff are the best group I've worked with. Typically, they have an answer to our question with 24 hours and most likely, the answer is within a couple hours. They go above and beyond with their support level.

Before Zeenyx AscentialTest, our company was using an old version of SilkTest (that was out of maintenance). The main reason for the switch was that we wanted to have support but were unwilling to continue the maintenance with the previous software.

Since we were moving from a different software tool (SilkTest), the initial setup was easier since Zeenyx supports some SilkTests scripts (many functions were named differently). We also wanted to update our scripts (since they were old) immediately after converting to AscentialTest.

We implemented Zeenyx AscentialTest in-house and did not use a vendor team. This question does not apply to our company but I have to type 120 characters in this field so I am continuing to type words.

I do not have insight into ROI. I can tell you that since we distribute our tests using the Host/Target model we saved a great deal of execution time after we switched from SilkTest. Since our execution time decreased substantially,

Our company was an early adopter of AscentialTest. We have an Enterprise license so can install the software on as many machines as we want. If you are planning on using the Host/Target feature, I would recommend buying more Runtime licenses as they are a little cheaper.

The decision to move to Zeenyx AscentialTest was done prior to my arriving at this company. I have been told there was no other evaluation done.

What other advice do I have?

I have been working with Zeenyx AscentialTest for almost 4 years and have a very good relationship with them. I will say that they are genuinely interested in improving their product. We have given them multiple ideas of new features and they have implemented several.

it_user313374
User with 11-50 employees
It allows us to create Application Objects by interacting with snapshots in a visual drag-and-drop environment.

What is most valuable?

• Zeenyx AscentialTest provides excellent support for PowerBuilder applications.
  • Object recognition is very powerful and flexible.
  • Application Objects are created by interacting with snapshots in a highly visual drag and drop environment.
  • It is easy and quick to manage and maintain tests.

How has it helped my organization?

Zeenyx AscentialTest has been an essential part of our product testing

Since 2011

Excellent

Zeenyx is very responsive and easy to work with

Excellent

SilkTest

It stopped supporting PowerBuilder applications

Initial setup was straightforward and smooth

In-house

AscentialTest was the best among serval testing tools supporting PowerBuilder applications

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend Zeenyx AscentialTest

Software Engineering Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We're able to reuse steps when developing our tests, but the Web Tables and Siebel Tables should be readily available and simpler while automating apps.

What is most valuable?

Reusability of the steps was something that we (our team members) found the most valuable. That helped in saving a lot of time we spend on developing our tests.

How has it helped my organization?

Zeenyx team did provide us with a very reliable support throughout the automation of Siebel as we were unable to find a good automation solution for an older version of Siebel app.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if the support for Web Tables and Siebel Tables are readily available and made more simpler as they are encountered quite often while automating the apps.

2 Years

We did not find any issues whatsoever with the deployment of AT on our Windows XP machines and later in Windows 7 as well. The deployment was indeed an hassle-free experience.

The tool is pretty stable and we never encountered any stability issues with the new version of the application.

With respect to scalability also AT is a reliable option. We had generated a Regression Suite of more than 600 Test Cases and we didnt notice any issues during the execution of the same.

Zeenyx team provides a wonderful customer support for any kind of issues we face and they worked along with us and provided solutions as early as possible too.

Zeenyx has got a quality tech support team who are always there to help you out. Especially, their support to find out a solution for a complicated scroll table issue in Siebel was outstanding.

In fact we couldnt use another solution previously as we were working on an old version of Siebel that was not been supported by many solutions out there in the market.

Initial set-up was pretty straightforward and also their installtion package comes with all the prerequisites and hence we did not face any problem in the set-up phase.

We implemented through the Zeenyx vendor team itself. And I would rate their level of expertise and the support highly.

We had a pretty decent ROI for this venture of investing in AscentialTest. We were able to find out many crucial bugs in our regression tests developed using AscentialTest, which improved the quality of the software decently.

The pricing and license cost is decent considering the features we have got from AscentialTest and the support they provide throughout. We are in fact using the Enterprise version of the solution.

Yes, we did evaluate some other options like Routine Boat, EggPlant etc., but we were unable to get a satisfactory solution. Finally we ended upon AscentialTest which proved very helpful.

What other advice do I have?

The scripting time required is less compared to other solutions. In fact not much scripting is required as most of the actions are readily available on the Actions Panel of the solution.