Zerto Overview

Zerto is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Zerto vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Zerto?

Zerto helps customers accelerate IT transformation by eliminating the risk and complexity of modernization and cloud adoption. By replacing multiple legacy solutions with a single IT Resilience Platform, Zerto is changing the way disaster recovery, backup and cloud are managed. At enterprise scale, Zerto’s software platform delivers continuous availability for an always-on customer experience while simplifying workload mobility to protect, recover and move applications freely across hybrid and multi-clouds. Zerto is trusted by over 6,000 customers globally and is powering resiliency offerings for Microsoft Azure, IBM Cloud, AWS, SunGard AS and more than 350 cloud services providers.

Zerto is also known as Zerto Virtual Replication.

Zerto Buyer's Guide

Download the Zerto Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Zerto Customers

Tencate, Spirit Airlines, Woodforest National Bank, UW Health

Zerto Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

GN
Solutions Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
I would not do a virtual based disaster recovery solution without this tool

What is our primary use case?

Cloud-based disaster recovery. However, do your homework on your provider. There are several options besides Azure and AWS that don't have their surprise charges. Be sure to check them out.

Systems Specialist at KESA
Easy to operate and very dependable.

What is our primary use case?

Disaster Recovery and quick file recovery. We have used Zerto to recover from Ransomware three times. Between the attacks we have recovered over 2 million files. We have never paid a ransome. Our users were only affected just under two hours with the attacks, majority of the time is actually figuring out in the office which pc actually had the crypto locker program running.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for someone thinking about Zerto is to do the trial run that Zerto offers, you will be impressed. If you are looking to get RPO's of 30seconds or less, Zerto can do it. I typically see 8-18 seconds RPO. Needless to say this depends greatly on your WAN link. I highly recommend going to Boston in 2017 and meeting the staff at Zertocon!
Learn what your peers think about Zerto. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Services Manager at M. J. Electric, LLC
We were able to start replication within minutes of the initial setup

What is our primary use case?

Virtual server replication, as well as a level of backup, to our disaster recovery site.

• "During a failover to a DR site, Zerto can automatically change the IP address of servers."
  • "With Zerto, we were able to replicate our virtual servers to a remote DR site across a WAN connection."
  • "The initial setup was very straightforward and easy. We were able to start replication within minutes of the initial setup."
  • "I would like them to add a VM host replication option. Being able to replicate host configuration between sites would be a huge benefit."

What other advice do I have?

For the most part, we are very satisfied with Zerto and its features.
Adjunct Professor at Southern New Hampshire University
Journaling allows us to leverage for sub-minute recoveries

What is our primary use case?

We were able to replace most of VMware SRM with this solution. It allows us to failover individual machines or application clusters with ease. The one thing that it does not do nicely is a full site failover. We have never needed that aspect though (only for testing).

• "Journaling allows us to leverage Zerto's journal for sub-minute recoveries, instead of having to wait for the storage array to replicate."
  • "The full site recovery is not up to SRM standards."
  • "It is difficult to manage failing over between sites if you are at the site that was impacted."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you understand the limitations of any software before you dive in. Make sure you document your use cases and have the vendor show you how it can perform those tasks.
Service Manager, Cloud Recovery at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Continuous VM replication and ability to choose recovery point are key

• "Failover using Zerto is simply a one-button click, and it does everything else in restoring the VMs at a different datacenter (recovery site)."
  • "Zerto is an excellent solution for cloud-based environments, but for DIY clients who have another site to recover their systems it also works well."
  • "Adding or changing VPGs (Virtual Protection Groups) may require restarting replication."

What other advice do I have?

The product works and does what is says. Zerto provides enterprise-class, virtual replication and BC/DR solutions for private, hybrid, and public clouds. Future releases will provide multiple destinations/locations to store the replicated data. Most companies have used backup software for their protection, or disk array replication. Zerto leapfrogs those data protection methods and provides a much more affordable BC/DR solution, with improved RPO and RTO. Zerto is an excellent solution for cloud-based environments, but for DIY clients who have another site to recover their systems it also…
Co-Owner with 1-10 employees
Continuous log file transmission means the granularity of restores is amazing

• "The replication being log-based is awesome."
  • "You can set the number of days a VM can be rolled back in case of corruption or virus infection."
  • "Since the log files are continuously transmitted, the granularity of restores is amazing."
  • "Files can also be extracted from the VMDK at the remote site even when the VM is off."
  • "An integrated encryption would allow for faster initial install and connection to the remote cloud site."
  • "Their offsite backup is a bit clunky, but it will probably improve."

What other advice do I have?

There are many products on the market that perform Virtual Machine replication. The other products use Snapshot technology which can have issues with Hypervisors or large disk volumes. The datastore or shared disk (depending on Hypervisor) must have enough free space to allow the Snapshot to be open for as long as the backup runs. This can lead to crashes and consolidation issues, which are usually painful. Zerto is a log-based replication product, for that I give it a 10 out of 10. I've been using it over a year now, and the product has kept improving. It is easy to upgrade to the next minor…
Senior Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Gives us efficient replication over narrow WAN bandwidth

• "VMware VM replication over narrow WAN bandwidth."
  • "It needs to support more public cloud."
  • "It works only for a virtual platform, it does not support bare metal."

What other advice do I have?

It works only for a virtual platform, it does not support bare metal. If you're looking for a comprehensive solution for both virtual and physical platforms, then Veeam is a preferable solution.
EA
Project Manager
The journaling capability allows you to recover from a ransomware attack.

What is our primary use case?

In our case, we used Zerto Replicator mainly for DRP (Disaster Recovery Plan), but also for testing.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to have clear: * Required links between sites. * Available network (ideal network L2 inter sites). * Capacity for journaling (+/- 7%) in contingent site.
Network Administrator at a financial services firm
Can quickly recover from any disaster with very little downtime utilizing a user interface that requires minimal experience

What is our primary use case?

Zerto is used to provide real-time replication for the important virtual machines that my organisation uses to our Disaster Recovery (DR) site to ensure business continuity.

• "The ability to test which virtual machines can be failed over to our DR site without interruption of our production environment."
  • "The only issue that I observed was that depending on the number of virtual machines that are being replicated, you will have to provision the appropriate bandwidth for the link that the replicated systems will traverse."
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use the ZERTO Implementation to pretend critical VM and Groups of VM (Application Consistency) from failing. The solution with ZERTO helpy us to TEST and Failover without pane. Installaion is based on local primary site and remote desaster site with a distance of a few 100km and a bandwith up to 30Mbit.

• "Managing the system is easy and reliable, you can choose any VM you want to replicate to your DR Site in Combination with other VM's."
  • "Migration of complex VMware and Hyper-V solution. Using Zerto to replicate to azure and S3."

What other advice do I have?

With the next generation Zerto5.5 they allow replication and production in azure, so cloud based DR comes reality. Everybody who looks for alternative solutions in physical sync mirroring of data (Metro-cluster) should think about business needs and ABC (Application Business Continuity) Zerto can do it and helps you to keep business online with less cost than other solutions.
Senior System Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
It has decreased both RPO and RTO significantly

What is our primary use case?

Replication of business critical VMware VMs over WAN to the remote disaster recovery datacenter.
Systems Administrator, Core Infrastructure & Microsoft Systems at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can clearly see if something is not quite right in your disaster recovery plan before you have an actual disaster

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Zerto Virtual Replication to protect groups of servers in our production data center, replicating them to a secondary site. We also protect essential test and dev servers. I have also used it in a past role to carry out a datacenter migration project.
Data Backup Engineer at a tech services company
​Provides a simple wizard to install, but is missing compatibility with multi-tiered applications for testing

What is most valuable?

It is easy to setup and manage.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides a simple interface for VM DR.

What needs improvement?

Needs compatibility with multi-tiered applications, such as Sharepoint, for testing.

One to two years.

Fair, depending on which location you get in contact with: They can be difficult to deal with and don't understand the product in which they are servicing.

Not applicable.

It is very straightforward. A simple wizard to…
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We have helped several customers implement their Disaster Recovery Plans more easily than before, thanks to the independence of hardware that the product provides

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to set up a lab or a PoC to test it. I would recommend doing that because you will be able to see the real value of the product in a very short term.
Leader in Advanced Services department at a tech services company
Some of the valuable features are journal, consistency groups, and resiliency

• "Consistency Groups: If you replicate groups of VMs, then during failover, all of the VMs in groups are failed over to the exact same point in time."
  • "I would like to see a couple of details regarding awareness of VM events coming outside of ZVR."

What other advice do I have?

If you need to replicate your VMs with RPOs of seconds, then Zerto is certainly the way to go.
Infrastructure Expert at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Has a simple process to protect or migrate a virtual workload.

• "It enables protection of a virtual workload to be done by the app, whether single or multi-tiered, with a boot time scheduler. It is pretty awesome."
  • "Zerto is solid. However, they are working on a cloud workload protection and protecting virtual workloads to more than one site."

What other advice do I have?

Put it in place as it will become your default tool for VM protection and replication, hands down!
Lead Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has a significant impact on moving the data center across various sites with perfection

• "Failing over the VM without removing/touching the production VM from inventory is also an important feature."
  • "There is a need to allow the source vCenter Inventory to be imported with a single click."

What other advice do I have?

Just buy it with eyes closed, no requirements are needed. It works with various VMware versions. This is the most amazing hypervisor-based replication that I have ever used.
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We like the replication at the hypervisor level.
Server\Storage Administrator at Charlotte Pipe and Foundry
The fact the you can group and configure various boot orders, with time delays is a valuable feature.
Sr System Admin at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to to replicate our critical application servers with a sub 5 min RPO.
Independant IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Truly simple data replication.
Pr. UNIX Sys Admin at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to replicate entire systems between data centers instead of setting up replication within the applications.
Director with 51-200 employees
The two key features for AssureStor are hypervisor based replication and the automation for failover, testing and failback.

What other advice do I have?

Zerto, in my opinion, is one of the best DR products on the market currently, its only flaw (if it can be called that) is that it is limited to virtual environments, specifically VMware & Hyper-V (it does also support replication to AWS if needed). If you are looking to streamline your DR capability and remove risk then speak to Zerto and get them to run you through a demo, what they say the product can do is not sales talk, it really can do it. Zerto Dashboard Failover Wizard Recovery Checkpoints (Journal)
Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
It's HW agnostic, with no impact on production systems, but backup dedup and online restore need improvement.

What other advice do I have?

There are other competitor on the market, but this is the only one dedicated to DR. All others are backup based. It could seems expensive, but when you realize its power, you'll understand that cost is justified.
Manager - Storage & Servers at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
MSP
​Replication from Hyper-V to ESX so that I can retire my old environment is nice. The ability to add hard disks to a VM and have Zerto just pick up those changes would be improvements.

What other advice do I have?

The product has significant promise but it’s a long way from fully functional, there are fantastic features in the product and fantastic features promised “in the next release” too. Make sure you run through a good sizing exercise first.
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I can safely deploy it on an ISP environment because it's designed with isolation and multi-tenancy in mind.

What other advice do I have?

I love the application, and it has become essential in my work.
Cloud Architect with 501-1,000 employees
With it, we're able to provide our customers with disaster recovery options that work, but when we scaled, we had slight issues protecting SQL servers.

What is most valuable?

Being able to provide customers with DR options that work.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a Cloud Services provider that owns and operates data centers coast-to-coast.

Couple of years

Only slightly when using it to protect 37 SQL servers. The high IOPS have been dealt with and we have solved that issue.

Customer Service: excellent Technical Support: excellent

We used many other solutions, but this is the one we…
Technical Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
This product is very easy to use and administer. One thing to be aware of is that the vSphere side and the AWS side will have two separate installers.
Zerto has been a great product for companies looking to deploy an easy to use disaster recovery solution. One of the limitations of the product was that it only worked with VMware vSphere, but not any more. Version 4 just dropped and it’s got a myriad of new goodies New User Interface Cross-Replication from vSphere to Microsoft SCVMM and Amazon Web Services (AWS) Sizing improvements More Secure Virtual Replication Appliances vSphere 6 support The most appealing new capability was the ability to fail over a vSphere environment to Amazon Web Services (AWS). This could save small businesses A LOT of money. Small businesses that have a disaster recovery requirement no longer need to have a dedicated co-lo and spend money on equipment when they may never use it. AWS provides…
Head of Cloud Architecture at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Top of the list if you're using VMware or Hyper-V. Would be nice to have more supported hyper-visors.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking at DR products put Zerto straight to the top of the list if you are using VMware or Hyper-V.
Network Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 501-1,000 employees
Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to configure replication groups and multiple options for recovery of virtual machines

What is most valuable?

Simple, fast install Easy upgrades Grouping virtual machines by application, not LUN Automatic IP address change

How has it helped my organization?

Simplified the way annual DR tests are performed as well as being a tool for migrating workloads between data centers as needed.

What needs improvement?

Would like to see additional reports after recovery operations with details on recovery of each VM

2 years

Customer Service: Sales and customer service are responsive to questions. Technical Support: Technical Support is very helpful. They reply to phone or email quickly.

Used VMware SRM previously

How

Team Lead, Virtualization/Converged at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Zert0 accomplishes everything advertised and much more...

What other advice do I have?

I feel because the product is so simplistic yet extremely robust and effective management may perceive Zert0 as not being Enterprise worthy when in reality, it is. Bottom line, its a great product that brings standardization and simplicity to DR/BC.
Senior Vmware administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The top dog of DR IMO.

What other advice do I have?

The best thing is that all you need is storage and vcenter in two locations and you have met all requirements to install and protect your vm's.
Data Center Expert with 501-1,000 employees
Zerto just works

What other advice do I have?

I work for a data center solutions company and DR was always the toughest challenge. I have recommended numerous solutions to my customers over the years but when we stumbled upon Zerto 4 years ago it has become our standard recommendation in these projects. It's easy to setup and manage but best of all...it just works as expected.
Senior Manager of IT at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Meets all the ticks when looking for a DR solution.

Valuable Features:

Meets all the ticks when looking for a Disaster Recovery Product/Service. Low RPO exceptional RTS. Integrates directly with vCentre Server. Easy to use.

Room for Improvement:

Needs better reporting.
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Best BC\DR solution for virtual infrastructures

Valuable Features:

Hardware-Independent Simple configuration Easy installation Integrated with vCenter Server and vCloud Director Very low RPOs

Room for Improvement:

Poor documentation Poor reporting engine Bugs with rollback procedures

Other Advice:

Allows for semi-synchronic replication, even though it's hardware independent.
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It works great, taking BC\DR to a whole new level.
It works great, taking BC\DR to a whole new level; even though it's a "young" product and still has lots of improvements to do, it will allow for every company to implement a successful BC\DR strategy