Zerto OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zerto is the #2 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Zerto vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Zerto?

Zerto, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company, empowers customers to run an always-on business by simplifying the protection, recovery, and mobility of on-premises and cloud applications. Zerto’s cloud data management and protection platform eliminates the risks and complexity of modernization and cloud adoption across private, public, and hybrid deployments. The simple, software-only platform uses continuous data protection at scale to converge disaster recovery, backup, and data mobility. Zerto is trusted by over 9,500 customers globally and is powering offerings for Microsoft Azure, IBM Cloud, AWS, Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud, and more than 350 managed service providers.

Zerto is also known as Zerto Virtual Replication.

Zerto Buyer's Guide

Download the Zerto Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Zerto Customers

United Airlines, HCA, XPO Logistics, TaxSlayer, McKesson, Insight Global, Spirit Airlines, Tencate, Aaron’s, Grey’s County, Epiq. JLL, KIND Snacks, Kingston Technologies

Zerto Video

Archived Zerto Reviews (more than two years old)

reviewer1199877
User
Instant data rollback, self-healing, and good reporting

• "I really like how you can test the failover as often as you need."
  • "I think Zerto could do better with size planning because it would be nice to analyze a server for a week and give an estimate on sizing the Journal."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zerto to protect our staff information against ransomware and is outlined in our disaster recovery plan. We have a DR site that we failover to if anything happens at our primary data center. We have only our core services, that we could not live without, being protected.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very easy to use. Almost anyone in our IT team can manage it after not using it for months at a time. As the DR strategist here, I like that. I enjoy having a fast way to bring a server back up. It will take me longer to get to my desk and log into everything than it will to actually complete the failover.

What is most valuable?

I really like how you can test the failover as often as you need.

The reports it generates are very good at showing our protection state.

It is self-healing in case I mess up on something and need to re-sync. When you are protecting Terabytes of data, this comes in handy.

What needs improvement?

I think Zerto could do better with size planning because it would be nice to analyze a server for a week and give an estimate on sizing the Journal. I find myself estimating too high.

It would be nice if I had an option to dynamically restore to any host in a cluster. Right now, if we have multiple things happen and the main host is down it will not work.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We are only using a fraction of what it can do. If you add the backup function it scales very largely. I could see a hospital really finding this product useful.

My first experience with technical support was not good at all. In the last few years, it has improved quite a bit.

Prior to this solution, we used storage mirroring and DFS syncing. Our old way used far too much storage. Zerto compresses the data well.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. We were making initial syncs in forty-five minutes.

We did both, with most over the phone. Their expertise was fine. I didn't in any way feel like I was not getting my questions answered.

Our ROI happened in nine seconds.

I don't remember it being cheap. We started out slow, which was a good call. We found that in an event that was massive enough to cause an entire cluster to go offline we would be happy with our core services up and running.

At the time, Zerto was the only product doing this so easily. It might still be.

What other advice do I have?

Don't underestimate how good it feels to rollback data instantly. It makes me look like a Wizzard at my desk.

Tim Kovars
Sr. Systems Engineer at Quarles & Brady LLP
User
Fast replication and recovery, and the mobile app is great

• "The ability to perform DR testing to ensure data integrity is critical."
  • "Increased granularity in how long to keep the journal would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for disaster recovery. The initial sync was from Pure to Compellent, and DR with disparate storage was great. Once we identified our critical servers, vetted the Live and Test Failover, and got the necessary configuration at our DR site, we are now able to perform tests in a safe bubble.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is an integral part of our DR plan. The data and servers we needed are protected in a group as I need them. Changing or adding servers is easy and fast. The ability to protect resources that are in hurricane zones has been fantastic. Being able to safely perform DR testing remotely has enabled us to meet DR goals that were put in place. The first DR test with everyone in a room was fun, as everyone who hadn't seen it was amazed at how fast a server can come online.

What is most valuable?

The replication has been outstanding, it was three times as fast as initial Compellent replication. The ability to copy new data and protect new servers without a significant delay in getting the data is very valuable.

The ability to perform DR testing to ensure data integrity is critical.

The mobile app is great.

What needs improvement?

Increased granularity in how long to keep the journal would be nice, currently you can only do hourly up to 1 day, after that it is only daily.  The ability to test failover for a single VM in a VPG would be beneficial for testing purposes.  Currently alerts come from both replication managers at times, creating a lot of alerts; reducing those would be good.

We have been using this solution for just under two years.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

Setup is really easy and quick. Make sure that you have your desired networking for replication and testing in place.

You are getting what you pay for, as this is a solution that requires minimal management after it is configured.

We did not evaluate other options that are worth noting.

EMC was too expensive and everything else was tied to the storage vendor.

What other advice do I have?

It has been a great purchase, and we have no regrets.

Not much can be improved in this solution as it has performed to what we had hoped and has the features we currently desire.

Learn what your peers think about Zerto. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stephen Fuller
Senior Operations Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
DR-site VM activation allows for immediate crash recovery

• "The ability to have a RPO of seconds has enabled us to restore data to just before an incident has occurred, which certainly saves a lot of time and money."
  • "We have had issues with licensing, where the license we've been given by Zerto support doesn't include VSS replication, which was a pain at the time."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is DR Replication to a separate data centre. We use VMware at both sites. We're currently replicating around eighty VMs from our primary data centre in London to our secondary data centre in Beccles. Most of these are SQL servers with the VSS agent installed.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have the ability to activate replicated VMs at our DR site within minutes of something happening to our primary data centre. The ability to have a RPO of seconds has enabled us to restore data to just before an incident has occurred, which certainly saves a lot of time and money.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are its ease of use and simple setup.

The ability to do a test failover to an isolated environment has been very useful, as this allows us to test servers without any implications to our live environment.

The dashboard is very clear and concise, showing any problems in different colours.

What needs improvement?

The VSS agent setup and configuration does seem to be a bit clunky compared to the rest of the software. We have had issues with licensing, where the license we've been given by Zerto support doesn't include VSS replication, which was a pain at the time.

I have been using this solution for four years.
BC
IT at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
A user-friendly solution for secure, off-site disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for Replication and Disaster Recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have the ability to replicate critical data to a secure, off-site location that can be brought back in seconds if needed.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very user-friendly and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

The email alerts can be excessive, so better control over frequency or resolution may be a worthwhile improvement.

We have been using this solution for between one and two years.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for Replication and Disaster Recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very user-friendly and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for between one and two years.
IT system administrator
File-level restoring to specific points in time has been very helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for disaster recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Implementing this solution has given us sandboxing and the ability to move VMs. These are nice to have tools.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Restore file, where you can go back in time on a file-level. This is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The backup functions are in need of improvement.

We have been using this solution for one year.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The backup functions are in need of improvement.

We have been using this solution for one year.
reviewer1156839
User
Helpful mobile monitoring app compliments the powerful DR testing capability

• "The ability to fully test your entire environment without actually performing a failover is invaluable."
  • "There needs to be more flexibility in the licensing."

What is our primary use case?

Real-time replication for our Disaster Recovery site, which is currently hosted in another on-premise site but will shortly be moving to a Data Center in the Cloud.

I have also used this solution to do point-in-time restores of Exchange mailbox items and to check updates from Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has given us the confidence to know that our complex systems are being backed up off-site in real-time and are testable on demand. This gives me a real sense of ease when speaking to Management about our resilience, and being able to demonstrate it includes everyone in the processes to confirm that.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the Mobile app that allows me to monitor, at any time of the day or night, whether the replications are up and running.

Creating Virtual Protection Groups allows us to treat business services as one.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be more flexibility in the licensing. I've mentioned to Zerto Management that I find the licensing at twenty-five VMs to be very restricting to an SME business, and could there be some flexibility here? Businesses like ours constantly change their IT due to the flexibility of Virtualisation and it would be great to get Zerto on board with that same flexibility.

We have been using this solution for four years.

It has been very stable and gives me minimal problems, especially when compared to other parts of the business network.

I would imagine that the product would not have an upper limit due to its architecture. It seems to cope easily with our own environment of approximately forty VMs.

The person I worked with was very friendly and had excellent knowledge of the product and understood the wider implications of the installation.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. The installation and configuration are incredibly easy for someone who is reasonably familiar with IT Management.

We implemented this solution in-house.

We do not consider an ROI analysis to be relevant in this area.

While we find the twenty-five VM license somewhat inflexible, the actual setup costs are minimal as the product is so easy to install.

Before choosing this solution we extensively tested the built-in functionality of our EMC VNX SANs but they didn't function to an acceptable standard so we looked to third parties.

After researching the market thoroughly we decided that this was the one to go for.

What other advice do I have?

I'd strongly suggest carrying out a proof of concept if you're looking at this part of your IT solution.

AB
Manager - IT Infrastructure and Resiliency at Asian Paints
A lightweight solution that is easy to configure and has intuitive dashboards

• "It has enabled DR protection for virtual appliances with minimal administrator time."
  • "It would be helpful if the reports can be generated periodically, on a schedule."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Zerto was to enable replication at our DR site for virtual appliances and automation of the failover - failback process. This also gets utilized for recovery at our DR site at different timestamps using the journal history.

This solution is very light, with zero-touch deployment and very enhanced dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled DR protection for virtual appliances with minimal administrator time. This solution also provides a backup option at the DR site without any additional cost of licenses. The Dashboards are very intuitive and can be published to the CIO and CTO.

What is most valuable?

We loved the orchestrator, which allows us to specify IPs for our DR site in advance. It also allowed us to pre-configure the boot sequence for a failover test or actual recovery. Backup at the DR site is the icing on the cake. The concept of a journal history and keeping snapshots at intervals of seconds are quite good.

What needs improvement?

Mobile features are there only for visibility and not to take action. We would love to see the ability to perform actions through mobile apps.

It would be helpful if the reports can be generated periodically, on a schedule.

Four years.

This solution is very stable.

This is a scalable solution that also supports multiple clouds.

Our earlier solution doesn't have a detailed orchestrator and didn't support appliances.

It is very easy to set-up this solution.

We implemented this solution in-house, without the need for any partner to assist with the set-up.

There is no need to think of ROI as this is a DC-DR solution.

The solution is very cost-effective and very easy to set-up but does not compromise on features. The features are much enhanced compared to any other DC-DR solution.

Before choosing this solution we evaluated VMware Replication & Sanovi.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this solution is quite enhanced compared to other, similar solutions in the market.

I recommend trying this solution.

GN
Solutions Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
I would not do a virtual based disaster recovery solution without this tool

What is our primary use case?

Cloud-based disaster recovery. However, do your homework on your provider. There are several options besides Azure and AWS that don't have their surprise charges. Be sure to check them out.

How has it helped my organization?

Would not do a virtual based disaster recovery solution without it. Or would not do a virtual to virtual migration without it.

What is most valuable?

It just works. This sounds simple, but it is so true. So much of what we are sold in IT doesn't work as advertised. Zerto does.

What needs improvement?

It's coming, but I want to do my backups from my DR side without impacting my production side. This is supposed to come out in v7.0.

Three to five years.

Rock solid, it just works. Make sure your Windows boxes are not previous in-place upgrades. Bugs between the Windows components create issues with assigning IP addresses. This is a Microsoft issue and not a Zerto issue.

It's being used for hundreds of machines. It just works.

Tech support is great. They help troubleshoot things that are not their issues. See Microsoft upgrade note above.

Yes, VMWare Site Recovery Manager. SRM is not as intuitive and is VMware version dependent. Zerto does not have those issues.

Very easy setup. Like all DR solutions, it requires planning. Specifically the network side. Don't skimp.

Use a Zerto cloud service provider. They generally know their stuff.

Amazing ROI considering I don't have to buy a second set of hardware for my DR site. I can use a cloud provider and only pay when I need it.

Check your cloud providers. You don't have to host the DR side yourself. Also, look at folks other than Azure and AWS. The hidden/surprise costs will knock your socks off.

Veeam (no CDP), SRM, RecoverPoint for VMs, Double-Take.

What other advice do I have?

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are also a reseller of Zerto services.
Russell Lynch
Systems Specialist at KESA
Easy to operate and very dependable.

What is our primary use case?

Disaster Recovery and quick file recovery.  We have used Zerto to recover from Ransomware three times.  Between the attacks we have recovered over 2 million files.  We have never paid a ransome.  Our users were only affected just under two hours with the attacks, majority of the time is actually figuring out in the office which pc actually had the crypto locker program running.

How has it helped my organization?

Zerto was able to use an EMC PROD SAN, and a HP DR SAN with no issues or compatibility problems which allowed us to avoid buying expensive hardware for a DR site.

Zerto has allowed us to feel comfortable our data is being replicated, and the data is not corrupted.

What is most valuable?

Zerto is packed full of useful features. The main feature is easy to manage, you will not need to be in Zerto day to day as it runs flawless.

Zerto has a plugin to integrate seamlessly into VMware VSphere tab.

I would highlight is the fact Zerto was used to migrate all of our VMs from one data center to another data center (two different physical locations) when we upgraded to new hardware. The migration was a breeze.

My second valuable feature is being able to click just a few points in the program to initiate a test vm recovery at our DR location. After testing, all test VMs are deleted along with the data. This is automated, you do not need to interact with deleting VMs.

In Zerto depending on your hardware and internet connection between your production site and DR site you can expect an RPO of 15 seconds.

As of the summer 2016, Zerto just created an extremely fast way to recover files from their journal. Instead of going to our long term backup program and taking a half hour or longer to find a file, Zerto is getting me the file in 4min. This is making my life easier and keeping users happy.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Zerto come up with an emergency line for support. Support does get back to you quickly, but when your heart is racing because something happened the calmness of a pro on the other end would be helpful. The reports also need TLC, as I do not really find them helpful.

With these two minor negatives the product and support are great and they get the job done. I am an extremely happy Zerto supporter.

The only issue with stability was when I caused the issue by changing VM settings in the DR site. This was a great test for support, they took care of the issue quickly and got me back up and running.

I consistently see 8-18 seconds RPO. We test DR by adding a file to a server, then 1minute later launching the test failover to a site that is 6 hours (drive time) away. The file will be there in the DR bubble.

We added new VMs with no issues, the only issue to keep in mind is the more VMs you add, the more storage your DR needs.

Outstanding! Pre-sale we had someone with Zerto actually come to our office and make sure this was the right choice for us. After we went live we had a few calls (initiated by Zerto) making sure we were happy and everything was running smooth. We still get periodic emails checking on us. I have not seen that with other companies.

On the Zerto team, Jennifer and Ciana helping us in our times of need.

AWESOME!

Tech Support is all initiated by email, but then Zerto will call you if needed. This avoids phone cues. The person I talked to the two times I called in were awesome, they were very knowledgeable. Even though I caused one of the issues that needed fixed by support, they did not treat me with any disrespect even though I caused the issue. The tech did explain how to correctly do the tasks.

We had a very experienced consultant set us up.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for someone thinking about Zerto is to do the trial run that Zerto offers, you will be impressed. If you are looking to get RPO's of 30seconds or less, Zerto can do it. I typically see 8-18 seconds RPO. Needless to say this depends greatly on your WAN link.

I highly recommend going to Boston in 2017 and meeting the staff at Zertocon!

Brian Munn
Network Services Manager at M. J. Electric, LLC
We were able to start replication within minutes of the initial setup

• "During a failover to a DR site, Zerto can automatically change the IP address of servers."
  • "With Zerto, we were able to replicate our virtual servers to a remote DR site across a WAN connection."
  • "The initial setup was very straightforward and easy. We were able to start replication within minutes of the initial setup."
  • "I would like them to add a VM host replication option. Being able to replicate host configuration between sites would be a huge benefit."

What is our primary use case?

Virtual server replication, as well as a level of backup, to our disaster recovery site.

How has it helped my organization?

Zerto is the key to our DR strategy. With Zerto, we were able to replicate our virtual servers to a remote DR site across a WAN connection. Zerto has made it possible to have different hardware (processor and storage) at each site.

What is most valuable?

• Hardware independent: Being able to replicate between two different sets of storage and processors.
  • On the fly IP address changes: During a failover to a DR site, Zerto can automatically change the IP address of servers.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to add a VM host replication option. Being able to replicate host configuration between sites would be a huge benefit.

Three to five years.

Zerto is very stable.

No scalability issues. We have added additional licensing over the years and haven't had any issues.

We have not had to use technical support too much, but we have always found the technicians helpful and knowledgeable.

We did not previously use another solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward and easy. We were able to start replication within minutes of the initial setup.

Zerto support helped us install and implement it initially. They were very knowledgeable.

We believe the pricing, setup costs, and licensing are easy to understand. The pricing seems very reasonable.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

For the most part, we are very satisfied with Zerto and its features.

Jay Stelmach
Adjunct Professor at Southern New Hampshire University
Journaling allows us to leverage for sub-minute recoveries

• "Journaling allows us to leverage Zerto's journal for sub-minute recoveries, instead of having to wait for the storage array to replicate."
  • "The full site recovery is not up to SRM standards."
  • "It is difficult to manage failing over between sites if you are at the site that was impacted."

What is our primary use case?

We were able to replace most of VMware SRM with this solution. It allows us to failover individual machines or application clusters with ease. The one thing that it does not do nicely is a full site failover. We have never needed that aspect though (only for testing).

How has it helped my organization?

We have leveraged the individual server failovers a number of times, and it has saved us a lot of man hours (doing things such as rebuilding, fighting viruses, or forcing more servers to failover than we wanted). It has been a phenomenal addition, and proved its worth in the pilot phase, when it saved us from having to rebuild a machine that was included in our pilot trial.

What is most valuable?

Journaling allows us to leverage Zerto's journal for sub-minute recoveries, instead of having to wait for the storage array to replicate. The solution is well worth the money invested.

What needs improvement?

The full site recovery is not up to SRM standards. Within a VPG, you can do great failover timing as well as ordering and scripting, but if your site contains many VPGs (as mine does), then it is difficult to manage failing over between sites, especially if you are at the site that was impacted.

Less than one year.

None. Even the upgrades are speedy and easy.

None. As long as you have the licenses, it goes smoothly.

I have contacted their vendor support in regards to backup performance of SQL databases. They provided me with adequate instruction and background information to be able to adjust my environment to better suit Zerto's processes. It's been smooth sailing since.

VMware Site Recovery Manager. We changed from this vendor because we hit the 75 license threshold and were forced to consider the conversion to Enterprise. We searched the marketplace and Zerto was a great fit for our needs.

It was straightforward and easy. I was able to install it myself without any help from Zerto.

In-house was all that was necessary. It only required one engineer to work for about two hours to install everything, and then a week to configure and protect the entire environment. This will vary depending on your link to your DR site.

The cost is steep, but once you experience recovering a single server along with its granular restore times, you will see that the cost is justified.

We evaluated Unitrends.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you understand the limitations of any software before you dive in. Make sure you document your use cases and have the vendor show you how it can perform those tasks.

it_user373668
Service Manager, Cloud Recovery at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Continuous VM replication and ability to choose recovery point are key

• "Failover using Zerto is simply a one-button click, and it does everything else in restoring the VMs at a different datacenter (recovery site)."
  • "Zerto is an excellent solution for cloud-based environments, but for DIY clients who have another site to recover their systems it also works well."
  • "Adding or changing VPGs (Virtual Protection Groups) may require restarting replication."

How has it helped my organization?

Virtualization, and Zerto improves business continuity and disaster recovery tremendously.

What is most valuable?

• Continuous replication for VMs
  • Ability to choose point in time to recover from
  • RPOs in seconds
  • RTO in minutes

What needs improvement?

The product is very stable; no issues with upgrading to new releases.

Adding additional VMs is fairly easy. Adding or changing VPGs (Virtual Protection Groups) may require restarting replication.

Very good.

Previously we used SRM (Site Recovery Manager). Zerto is much easier to set up and configure. Failover using Zerto is simply a one-button click, and it does everything else in restoring the VMs at a different datacenter (recovery site).

Initial setup is fairly easy and the environment can be protected in just a few hours.

You can find providers of a DRaaS solution with Zerto license fees for each VM. Zerto only sells to partners and they have a robust partner organization.

What other advice do I have?

The product works and does what is says. Zerto provides enterprise-class, virtual replication and BC/DR solutions for private, hybrid, and public clouds. Future releases will provide multiple destinations/locations to store the replicated data.

Most companies have used backup software for their protection, or disk array replication. Zerto leapfrogs those data protection methods and provides a much more affordable BC/DR solution, with improved RPO and RTO.

Zerto is an excellent solution for cloud-based environments, but for DIY clients who have another site to recover their systems it also works well.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Zerto Partner.
it_user486204
Co-Owner with 1-10 employees
Continuous log file transmission means the granularity of restores is amazing

• "The replication being log-based is awesome."
  • "You can set the number of days a VM can be rolled back in case of corruption or virus infection."
  • "Since the log files are continuously transmitted, the granularity of restores is amazing."
  • "Files can also be extracted from the VMDK at the remote site even when the VM is off."
  • "An integrated encryption would allow for faster initial install and connection to the remote cloud site."
  • "Their offsite backup is a bit clunky, but it will probably improve."

How has it helped my organization?

The setup is easier than most products, and for us as a cloud partner, once a customer is trained to create VPGs, they are good to go.

What is most valuable?

• The replication being log-based is awesome.
  • The VMDK can be preloaded to the remote site or allowed to come across the WAN, then the logs just keep flowing.
  • You can set the number of days a VM can be rolled back in case of corruption or virus infection.
  • Since the log files are continuously transmitted, the granularity of restores is amazing.
  • You can practice failovers (start the replicated virtual machine at the remote site) while the logs keep stacking up. The replicated machine can be open for a few hours, but short times are best depending on how much data is changing.
  • Files can also be extracted from the VMDK at the remote site even when the VM is off.
  • In case of a disaster, a single mouse click sets the restore to the real failover; click the Failover button, the VM on the replication site is started, while the VM at the source site is shut down. Once up, reverse replication begins and stays in log replication until the systems are reverted back to normal via the same process.

What needs improvement?

Their offsite backup is a bit clunky, but it will probably improve.

No issues with stability. The delivered upgrades and major updates are stable.

No issues with scalability, it pretty much takes care of itself. One does have to watch where all the recovery site systems are located, to avoid running out of space on the datastores. We can control/move recovery VMs as necessary.

Awesome. Their helpdesk people are among the best.

The product needs a VPN tunnel from the customer site to ours. VPNs can be tricky depending on the compatibility of the hardware. The programs themselves are a snap, and surprisingly small.

Cloud providers get good pricing to encourage quick adoption. A new feature is the One-To-Many VPG allowing a VM to be replicated at up to three different locations, including local.

As a cloud service provider, we have many tools to satisfy the needs of the customer. We have used Asigra, Veeam, StorageCraft, as well as Zerto. Each has its strengths. The market is heating up because of CryptoLocker and other viruses.

What other advice do I have?

There are many products on the market that perform Virtual Machine replication. The other products use Snapshot technology which can have issues with Hypervisors or large disk volumes. The datastore or shared disk (depending on Hypervisor) must have enough free space to allow the Snapshot to be open for as long as the backup runs. This can lead to crashes and consolidation issues, which are usually painful. Zerto is a log-based replication product, for that I give it a 10 out of 10.

I've been using it over a year now, and the product has kept improving. It is easy to upgrade to the next minor or major release.

In terms of advice, I would say become VPN, as well as VMware or Hyper-V, savvy.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cloud Partner.
it_user620190
Senior Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Gives us efficient replication over narrow WAN bandwidth

• "VMware VM replication over narrow WAN bandwidth."
  • "It needs to support more public cloud."
  • "It works only for a virtual platform, it does not support bare metal."

How has it helped my organization?

Improved the DR RPO and BCP.

What is most valuable?

VMware VM replication over narrow WAN bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

It needs to support more public cloud, especially in China.

Less than one year.

No stability issues so far.

No scalability issues so far.

Excellent.

No previous solution.

Very simple.

It's a little bit expensive.

Tested several other products such as NAKIVO, Veeam, VM Replication. Zerto proved to have better replication efficiency over WAN bandwidth.

What other advice do I have?

It works only for a virtual platform, it does not support bare metal. If you're looking for a comprehensive solution for both virtual and physical platforms, then Veeam is a preferable solution.

EA
Project Manager
The journaling capability allows you to recover from a ransomware attack.

What is our primary use case?

In our case, we used Zerto Replicator mainly for DRP (Disaster Recovery Plan), but also for testing.

How has it helped my organization?

For example, journaling capability allows you to recover from a ransomware attack. Thus, it is not only used in DRP scenarios.

In addition, there are increasingly more environments (such as IBM BlueMix) that support Zerto replication, for public cloud contention environments.

What is most valuable?

Zerto allows RPO of seconds, without need of snapshots. It is agnostic to storage and allows journaling of up to 30 days.

What needs improvement?

For me, limiting the minimum licensing package for 15 virtual machines (VMs) is a issue. Not all environments (especially in Latam) start with 15 VMs.

No, not really.

No, not really.

The support is in English only, and I estimate it 4/5.

I know Veeam B & R and VMware SRM (along with vSphere Replication) and in environments with aggressive RPO, and non-reliance on snapshots, Zerto is a superior solution.

It is not really complicated, if you do a previous good design. Installation is non-invasive, does not require agents in the virtual environment.It is not really complicated, if you do a previous good design. Installation is non-invasive, does not require agents in the virtual environment.

The licensing is by virtual machines, start in 15, and grow in packs of 10. There is an annual support that must be contracted.

Yes. Veeam B & R and VMware SRM (along with vSphere Replication and storage-level replication) were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to have clear:

1. Required links between sites.
  2. Available network (ideal network L2 inter sites).
  3. Capacity for journaling (+/- 7%) in contingent site.
Network Administrator at a financial services firm
Can quickly recover from any disaster with very little downtime utilizing a user interface that requires minimal experience

• "The ability to test which virtual machines can be failed over to our DR site without interruption of our production environment."
  • "The only issue that I observed was that depending on the number of virtual machines that are being replicated, you will have to provision the appropriate bandwidth for the link that the replicated systems will traverse."

What is our primary use case?

Zerto is used to provide real-time replication for the important virtual machines that my organisation uses to our Disaster Recovery (DR) site to ensure business continuity.

What is most valuable?

The ability to test which virtual machines can be failed over to our DR site without interruption of our production environment. Being able to do file level recovery in case you delete a file accidentally or want to recover from a ransomware attack.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows for my organization to quickly recover from any disaster with very little downtime utilizing a user interface that requires minimal knowledge or experience.

What needs improvement?

I cannot think of any new features that should be added at the moment. With time, I should be able to make suggestions.

None whatsoever.

The only issue that I observed was that depending on the number of virtual machines that are being replicated, you will have to provision the appropriate bandwidth for the link that the replicated systems will traverse. Zerto gives you a bandwidth calculation estimate, but in my case that still was not enough to handle the volume of traffic being generated by our virtual machines.

10 out of 10.

We used to use Veeam Backup and Replication. We encountered some loss of connectivity with Veeam when we replicated some of our larger virtual machines that we hosted on our older virtual machine hosts.

It was straightforward and easy to setup. Once the software was executed, all that was needed was the basic environment details as well as the hypervisor information.

We implemented through a vendor team. They were very experienced and were able to provide detailed answers to all of our questions.

We expect to achieve a ROI within four years of the purchase. However, the ability to almost instantly failover and the fast file level ransomware recovering times give you that peace of mind that allows for low stress levels.

The setup will require that you have a domain controller and DNS at your DR site as well as a second hypervisor product (VMware vCenter Server/Microsoft Hyper-V) there as well. So, the additional software licensing will have to be factored into your operational budget.

No, we did not. When we did our research, Zerto was the name that always came out as the market leader.

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

• "Managing the system is easy and reliable, you can choose any VM you want to replicate to your DR Site in Combination with other VM's."
  • "Migration of complex VMware and Hyper-V solution. Using Zerto to replicate to azure and S3."

What is our primary use case?

We use the ZERTO Implementation to pretend critical VM and Groups of VM (Application Consistency) from failing. The solution with ZERTO helpy us to TEST and Failover without pane. Installaion is based on local primary site and remote desaster site with a distance of a few 100km and a bandwith up to 30Mbit.

What is most valuable?

Managing the system is easy and reliable, you can choose any VM you want to replicate to your DR Site in Combination with other VM's. Testing a DR is easy and well reported.

How has it helped my organization?

Any business unit can define it's needs for SLA and the IT department is able to follow these needs with less management and overhead. If a problem occurs (like ransomware or db errors) IT department is able to roll Back to the right point without loosing productivity of other not effected VM. So for both business and IT it is much easier to use Zerto and profit from best function and best performance in these area of replication tools

What needs improvement?

DR Solutions with less management and less space. Licensing of DR Site is not necessary until activation of VM. That are very good news for Db users.

Less than one year.

As described above, only the WAN traffic regulation should be monitored, if it runs it works fine and absolutely stable

More VM more bandwidth over WAN, but this is normal. In competition with other replication tools, Zerto works well and compression is fast and stable. If you want to scale order license for it and go on.

Really fast and helpful. The documentation is a good stuff to read before calling, most of the events are well described and could be solved easily by yourself

very fast and very good

We uses before VMware Site Recovery. It is to complex and expensive at all.

Parallel to the primary replication tool Zerto, we are using VEEAM Always On Replication Version 9.5. It works but we can't replicate in the same manner as Zerto, because this tool works with events and they are queued so you will not be able to replicate in the same way as Zerto. Also the amount of VM's to replicate at the same time is limited to the VEEAM Environment of proxies. More Proxies more VM, but also more overhead and bandwidth usage.

It works fine for replicate a few times a day, but not in sec.

If you follow the documentation you need about 20 Minutes to first run of replication. This is fast and you can choose it if you want with the trail license from Zerto by yourself.

No we did by documentation and without external team.

Hopefully 50% less than with teh other solutions, we will have a look to it after a year production

Licensing is VM based so you can buy packages or single VM. Price is not low but the power of application is high, so you will get your money back, in case of Disaster situation. You will be so fast back in production and this is very rent-able for the business units you safe from outtakes.

Yes, Site Recovery and VEEAM Always On Solution

What other advice do I have?

With the next generation Zerto5.5 they allow replication and production in azure, so cloud based DR comes reality.

Everybody who looks for alternative solutions in physical sync mirroring of data (Metro-cluster) should think about business needs and ABC (Application Business Continuity) Zerto can do it and helps you to keep business online with less cost than other solutions.

Senior System Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
It has decreased both RPO and RTO significantly

What is our primary use case?

Replication of business critical VMware VMs over WAN to the remote disaster recovery datacenter.

What is most valuable?

The benefits are obvious: The simplicity of the setup and the speed of replication.

The speed of WAN replication is great. It is faster compared to RecoverPoint and 20 VMs replicating over a 20Mbps VPN, which has a RPO less than one minute. Of course, your mileage will vary.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to the previous DR replication solution, Zerto has decreased both RPO and RTO significantly.

What needs improvement?

In Zerto for vSphere, it is a pain to remove the virtual appliance if for some reason you lose the host.

Make sure to understand how Zerto supports Microsoft/SQL Clusters - more of an advice to the companies thinking of implementing Zerto.

Systems Administrator, Core Infrastructure & Microsoft Systems at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Zerto Virtual Replication to protect groups of servers in our production data center, replicating them to a secondary site. We also protect essential test and dev servers.

I have also used it in a past role to carry out a datacenter migration project.

What is most valuable?

The single pane of glass in Zerto Virtual Replication and ease of use is what makes Zerto different from other replication products that I have used in the past. You can clearly see if something is not quite right in your disaster recovery plan before you have an actual disaster.

How has it helped my organization?

Zerto has made Disaster Recover and Business Continuity Planning tests much easier and quicker. Even when doing 'Live' tests, we are able to confirm beforehand that everything looks OK. This means less time troubleshooting on the day of the test.

What needs improvement?

The product is improving all the time and I think the Zerto team have quite a good handle on things. I found the Local ZertoCON meetup/conference particularly useful to hear about different user cases. However, sometimes it feels like the QA is not great, as the previous two updates have been bug fixes.

it_user734157
Data Backup Engineer at a tech services company
​Provides a simple wizard to install, but is missing compatibility with multi-tiered applications for testing

What is most valuable?

It is easy to setup and manage.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides a simple interface for VM DR.

What needs improvement?

Needs compatibility with multi-tiered applications, such as Sharepoint, for testing.

One to two years.

Fair, depending on which location you get in contact with: They can be difficult to deal with and don't understand the product in which they are servicing.

Not applicable.

It is very straightforward. A simple wizard to…

What is most valuable?

It is easy to setup and manage.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides a simple interface for VM DR.

One to two years.

Not applicable.

It is very straightforward. A simple wizard to install.

I didn't personally deal with the licensing structure.

You should evaluate Site Recovery Manager by VMware. It is more expensive, but works better.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you run an evaluation and test failovers to verify it will meet your individualized needs.

Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We have helped several customers implement their Disaster Recovery Plans more easily than before, thanks to the independence of hardware that the product provides

What is most valuable?

There are two main features which I consider to be the greatest value of the product: The ability to replicate without using snapshots and the journaling capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to implement a DRaaS product based on Zerto Virtual Replication.

Also, we have helped several customers implement their Disaster Recovery Plans more easily than before, thanks to the independence of hardware that the product provides.

What needs improvement?

Monitoring and integration, like a management pack for vRealize Operations Manager.

Around four years.

No, the product is very easy to install and very stable once setup is complete.

No, the product is very easy to scale and can support a large infrastructure.

Very good, they respond quickly and accurately.

Multiple solutions, and we switched because they all required snapshots.

Very straightforward, the installation and setup are very simple, and we even had assistance from technical support to accomplish it.

Honestly, I'm not well informed in terms of pricing and licensing. My interaction with the product is 100% technical, in terms of architecture, implementation, and operation.

Multiple solutions, like Veeam, VMware SRM + ABR.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to set up a lab or a PoC to test it. I would recommend doing that because you will be able to see the real value of the product in a very short term.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company is a Partner in Colombia.
Leader in Advanced Services department at a tech services company
Some of the valuable features are journal, consistency groups, and resiliency

• "Consistency Groups: If you replicate groups of VMs, then during failover, all of the VMs in groups are failed over to the exact same point in time."
  • "I would like to see a couple of details regarding awareness of VM events coming outside of ZVR."

What is most valuable?

• Journal: ZVR uses a journal of history changes. Whenever you need to failover a VM or group of VMs, you have the ability to choose a Point in Time to which those replicas should be switched. For instance, if a disaster occurs at 10:05:00, you can failover with replicas to 10:04:55.
  • Consistency Groups: If you replicate groups of VMs, then during failover, all of the VMs in groups are failed over to the exact same point in time.
  • Resiliency: ZVR is resilient to Zerto infrastructure component restarts and loss of connection between sites which are automatically handled. The ZVR is very lightweight it doesn't use snapshots and has close to zero impact on production VMs and many others. It lets you get your files from Windows based VMs without failing over to replica VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

Before ZVR, we had many limitations in case of protecting production VMs during working hours. This primarily came from frequent VM snapshots impacting users. ZVR lets us protect our VMs without any impact upon users and greatly improved our RPOs from hours to seconds.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a couple of details regarding awareness of VM events coming outside of ZVR. This could be a user reverting VM back to an older snapshot, which can sometimes screw up the replica, but nothing major besides it is affected.

We have used this solution for over three years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

ZVR can handle thousands of VMs, so there were issues with scalability here.

Support is very quick in their response time and most of issues are solved in a matter of hours.

We were using Veeam Replication which is based on snapshots. However, ZVR has no snaphosts, zero impact on production, and improves RPOs seamlessly.

The initial setup was very straightforward and can be done in less than one hour. You can then start replicating between two sites.

We did the implementation in-house.

Licensing is based on the number of VMs to replicate. The first thing should be to get the number of VMs to replicate based on your business needs.

Before ZVR, I evaluated Veeam Replication, vSphere Replication, and RecoverPoint for VMs.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to replicate your VMs with RPOs of seconds, then Zerto is certainly the way to go.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a business partner of Zerto.
Ronald Barefield
Infrastructure Expert at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Has a simple process to protect or migrate a virtual workload.

• "It enables protection of a virtual workload to be done by the app, whether single or multi-tiered, with a boot time scheduler. It is pretty awesome."
  • "Zerto is solid. However, they are working on a cloud workload protection and protecting virtual workloads to more than one site."

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features. However, the one that sticks out the most is the simplicity of the process to protect or migrate a virtual workload.

How has it helped my organization?

Zerto has changed how we think about protecting virtual workloads. It has enabled us to think about real time protection with full replication that provides checkpoints every few seconds and enables quick (< 10min) recovery times.

What needs improvement?

Zerto is solid. However, they are working on a cloud workload protection and protecting virtual workloads to more than one site. This is good stuff.

We have been using the product for more than two years.

Zerto is stable and works as expected.

Zerto scales as you scale your virtual environments. It simply and quickly protects virtual workloads.

Zerto’s support is good. They are quick to contact you back and get working on any issue. This is hard to get from other vendors.

I have been performing DR/migrations/replication for over 15 years. I changed during a bake-off of different products based on:

• Speed to setup and run
  • Low to no dependencies
  • Simple to use (easy to operationalize)

Zerto simply is the tool for protecting any virtual workload. I have set up and protected:

• DBs (DB2, SQL, Oracle)
  • Many apps (Wintel and Linux)
  • Virtual appliances.

It is extremely simple to set up and use.

The Zerto setup was straightforward. It is one of the simplest tools I have ever deployed to protect virtual workloads. It works hand in hand with VMware features such as DRS/HA, so there is no issue when your workload moves around.

Zerto’s licensing model has changed a bit over the last year and they are in alignment with others. It is pretty simple and more economical.

We evaluated PlateSpin, Recover Point/Recover Point 4 VMs, VMW SRM, Veeam, and VMW converter.

What other advice do I have?

Put it in place as it will become your default tool for VM protection and replication, hands down!

it_user704025
Lead Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has a significant impact on moving the data center across various sites with perfection

• "Failing over the VM without removing/touching the production VM from inventory is also an important feature."
  • "There is a need to allow the source vCenter Inventory to be imported with a single click."

What is most valuable?

The Clone Virtual Protection Group does not impact the production virtual protection group which is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has a significant impact on moving the data center across various sites with perfection.

What needs improvement?

What I meant by one click vCenter is that there is no current option to migrate a vCenter logical cluster as a whole. You can only migrate individual VMs only by adding them into a VPG (Virtual Protection Group). You can failover multiple VMs after adding them into VPG.

I have used this solution for over three years.

There were no stability issues, it is one of the most stable software out there.

There were no scalability issues, it is very simple and easy to deploy/scale.

The technical support is amazing, i.e., if you purchase the premium support. They respond within minutes, it is a very professional technical support team.

I have used a different solution. It was more complex and full of bugs, so that was the main reason that we switched to this product.

The setup was very straightforward. Anyone can do it!

Pricing depends on your future growth. Start small and then scale up.

We looked at another solution namely the VMware SRM solution, it is the recovery point for virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

Just buy it with eyes closed, no requirements are needed. It works with various VMware versions.

This is the most amazing hypervisor-based replication that I have ever used.

CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We like the replication at the hypervisor level.

What is most valuable?

Replication at the hypervisor level. We’re a cloud Service Provider, and any solution relying on a specific storage vendor's functionality is a show stopper for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We can set up Disaster Recovery environments for our customers in a matter of minutes.

What needs improvement?

I hope that in the future the product will offer integrated encryption functionalities, so that the VPN setup between protected and protection site can become optional.

I've been using it for four years.

Assuming that you comply with the minimum requirements specified in their documentation, there should be no problems with deployment which is very straightforward.

We have never encountered problems with the stability.

Zerto scales very well.

10+

11 on a scale from 0 to 10, probably the best technical support amongst the vendors I'm working with.

Yes, complexity and cost.

Very straightforward and simple setup.

We always do the implementation in-house for our customers. The vendor always kindly provides one of their engineers to perform a post-installation check.

We sell on a per-use basis and pay using the same model.

When we started using the product, it was pretty unique. Since then, we have evaluated some competitors but still there’s no match.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We’re a partner in the Service Provider’s program
Rodney Barnhardt
Server\Storage Administrator at Charlotte Pipe and Foundry
The fact the you can group and configure various boot orders, with time delays is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

After working with the product for about 6 months, the fact that you cannot only replicate virtual machines to another location, but the fact the you can group and configure various boot orders, with time delays is a valuable feature. There is also the ability to change the networking properties such as the IP and MAC addresses, DNS entries, and other options.

How has it helped my organization?

At this point we are not fully using the product for disaster recovery due to the fact we are not 100% virtualized. The hope is that within the next two years, it will greatly simplify our DR testing since there is a "failover test" option. This allows the systems to be brought up in an isolated bubble for testing. It will also allow all of the restores to be synchronized to the same time.

What needs improvement?

The one area I see a need for improvement is supposedly on the roadmap, which is to be able to replicate to multiple locations.

6 months.

The account representative have always been helpful, even offering to get a product engineer on the phone to assist with configuration items if needed.

I have only had to contact technical support once and in that issue they responded very quickly and had the issued resolved with an hour.

There was a small RecoverPoint with SRM configuration, but it was difficult to manage and keep updated.

The deployment was very straight forward. A small plugin called a VRA is installed on each host. This keeps track of the virtual machines. Then, there is a dedicated virtual machine that runs the Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM). This is provides the web management interface and monitors the VRA's. This is also where all configuration and updates are performed. The menus do a great job in guiding you through the configuration of the protection groups.

The deployment was done in-house with the assistance of an implementation engineer over a web session.

An exact dollar ROI has not been calculated. The largest gain will be seen in man hours used for DR testing as well as the management of backups and recovery. This will turn what is now a very manual process into a fully automated recovery.

If you are planning on using this with a hyper-converged appliance running anything other than VMware, you may want to verify compatibility. On many of them, they are only compatible with VMware running, although they are adding other hypervisors. At the time of this writing, according to Zerto, they are not compatible with Simplivity at all.

Sr System Admin at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to to replicate our critical application servers with a sub 5 min RPO.

Improvements to My Organization:

Zerto allow us to to replicate our critical application servers with a sub 5 min RPO. Before Zerto we would restore from tape backup.

Also, the testing recovery in an isolated environment allows us to test recovery any time we need to.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to have automated load balancing of the ZVM's at the target site. Each ESX server needs to have  ZVM system to replicate the VM's. At the target site if you need to take one of the ZVM's offline at the target site you need to manually change the VM's using the ZVM. I would like this to be automated.

Independant IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Truly simple data replication.

Valuable Features

ZVR is very simple to setup and administer. Out of the box it just works and allows me to set my replication source and destinations and nearly forget it. Our RPOs are generally 5 seconds on a replicated base of 4Tb so we have only a very small data loss in the event of needing to recover.

Now that v4.5 has been released, I have the ability to recover individual files in the event of accidental deletion or even encryption by Ransomware. This ensures that data is easily recovered no matter when it is deleted, ensuring that files that have been created and deleted in the same day and prior to backup are recoverable easily.

And, perhaps more importantly, out of the box ZVR allows me to test the failover whenever I want to verify that my systems can come up as expected.

Use of Solution

I have been a user of Zerto Virtual Replication for 1 year.

Technical Support at ZVR is very good. Any calls are promptly responded to and dealt with to resolution. The support personnel are very knowledgeable on the product.

Initial setup is very straight forward. You simply create a group and populate your machines into the group, select a destination and voila ZVR does the rest.

Pr. UNIX Sys Admin at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to replicate entire systems between data centers instead of setting up replication within the applications.

What is most valuable?

Replication for disaster recovery between data centers is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Zerto allows us to replicate entire systems between data centers instead of setting up replication within the applications, which sometimes is non-existent.

What needs improvement?

The backup capabilities require too much disk space and I would like to see better compression. or deduplication built in to reduce the amount of WAN traffic. It would also be nice to have it be able to monitor a VM to let you know how much bandwidth a particular VM would require to replicate.

I've been using it for nine months.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

Scalability is all about bandwidth, so the only issue we had was trying to guess how much bandwidth we would need.

Technical support is good.

We used point solutions for our disaster recovery needs and we were very selective about the applications we would setup with disaster recovery due to costs.

The Zerto setup is very easy. The difficult task is setting up any processes that need to be run after a failover.

This was all setup in house.

Director with 51-200 employees
The two key features for AssureStor are hypervisor based replication and the automation for failover, testing and failback.

What is most valuable?

As a cloud service provider we are always looking at how we can reduce risk for our customers, the ability to provide a DR service that delivers RPO’s typically as low as 15 seconds, over relatively slow connections is fantastic. And as the replication is performed at the hypervisor level we can protect any virtual (VMware or Hyper-V) environment without worry about the storage layer. The automation element is also a crucial element as it ensures we do not have to spend lots of man hours in the event of a DR failover request, as well as streamlining the ability to test the DR environment without needing any down-time of the production environment. And finally add in the ability to automatically reverse replication once you have failed over allowing you to re-seed the production site and failback with minimal downtime and you have a great all-round DR solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we took on Zerto our DRaaS offering was based on snapshot based backup’s with an automated restore process to our cloud hypervisors. This was a good service but we could only offer RPO’s as low as 1 hour and even then this was subject to caveats specifically around the size of the VM and how quickly we could ship the new data to our cloud platform. In addition, testing was much more cumbersome and meant a much higher number of hours had to be invested in every DR test, ultimately raising our costs. With Zerto in place we are now offering commercially sound services to small and large businesses without the worry of needing to invest in large numbers of staff to manage and perform testing, etc.

What needs improvement?

Backup capability as it is limited and not as streamlined as it could be. At present Zerto delivers backup protection by making duplicate copies of VM disks to a defined storage location (but this is limited on the schedule and retention). In the latest version 4.5 this has now been extended with the capability to do object level recovery from the replicated VMs, the caveat here is that the retention period is limited to the journal retention (which is a maximum of 14 days). I would like to see a more integrated backup/retention capability in the solution allowing more flexible scheduling and unlimited retention with the capability to easily restore objects using the one Zerto web interface. The backup images should be able to be stored off-site, away from the main replication site, and easily be reintegrated in the main DR platform if needed for VM recovery of an old image.

I've been using it for 18 months. v4.5 for the last four weeks, and prior to that we ran v4.0 since our initial deployment.

When we first deployed Zerto we didn’t understand some of the limitations around the built-in database (it uses SQLite). Whilst this would normally be fine for most small to medium deployments (the database is supported for up to 100 protected VMs and 4 sites), as a cloud provider we needed to have greater scalability. This is provided by using a full deployment of Microsoft SQL, thankfully Zerto have a tool that will migrate the SQLite DB into your Microsoft SQL server so the transfer is pain free, but I would make sure that anyone who is deploying in an environment that may have more than 100 VMs to deploy initially on Microsoft SQL. Another area to be aware of in scalability is not with Zerto itself but the demands it can put on the DR storage environment, you will be replicating all your VM disk writes as well as journaling and potentially adding more demand when testing (as the Zerto continues to replicate even when testing, which is great, but does hammer the storage).

We've had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

In one word, fantastic. When we evaluate a product one of the key areas we look at is the level of technical support we will get from the vendor. Bottom line IT systems have a habit of going wrong (one of the reasons I have had a job for the past 20 years), so once you accept that no system will be error-free, you need to know that if you do need help its available. We have had issues, bugs and questions and in every case we have been supported by the Zerto tech support team.

Our DRaaS platform, prior to Zerto, was an extension of our Asigra Cloud Backup platform. Whilst this worked it could not deliver the low RPOs we now see with Zerto nor the efficiencies we see from Zerto in managing day-to-day tasks on the platform such as validation, failover tests (and on the odd occasions actual live failovers). Our choice with Zerto was based on our own piece of mind, we protect a variety of end-users so never failing them (i.e. never failing to replicate their VMs and know we can spin them up when needed) was crucial, Zerto has delivered this for us.

Our deployment was fairly complex, but then we had to deploy a platform capable of multi-tenant support with complex networking and integration with vCloud Director so that customers could access their DR systems via a secure web interface. If you are deploying a site-to-site solution then deployment is very straightforward. Each site requires a Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM) which is deployed upon Windows, this will then integrate with your vCenter servers at each site. From here it’s a few button clicks to deploy the Virtual Replication Appliance/s (VRAs) which are small Linux systems bound to each host that handle the ‘smart’ features of Zerto Replication, linking the site and your off.

Deployment was performed using in-house resources. The most important bit of advice I can offer to anyone considering implementing Zerto is understand your storage requirements at the production site and then decide on what levels of performance are acceptable. If you want to have low RPOs (seconds) then remember that you will be replicating all of your production writes into the DR storage device. And as initially these writes are put into the journal datastore and then read out after the defined retention period and written to the actual storage datastore be careful not to overload your DR SAN. As an example we deploy using separate SANs for journals and customer storage, with larger customers getting dedicated storage designed to accommodate their traffic patterns.

As a Zerto Cloud Service Provider (CSP) our licence model is different to end-users who can purchase the licence on a perpetual basis. For us the ROI was under 6 months, but we already had a large portion of the hypervisor and storage environment needed so were able to keep our costs to a minimum.

What other advice do I have?

Zerto, in my opinion, is one of the best DR products on the market currently, its only flaw (if it can be called that) is that it is limited to virtual environments, specifically VMware & Hyper-V (it does also support replication to AWS if needed). If you are looking to streamline your DR capability and remove risk then speak to Zerto and get them to run you through a demo, what they say the product can do is not sales talk, it really can do it.

Zerto Dashboard

Failover Wizard

Recovery Checkpoints (Journal)

Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
It's HW agnostic, with no impact on production systems, but backup dedup and online restore need improvement.

What is most valuable?

HW agnostic, no impact on production systems, no snapshot, easy management.

Version 4.0 is revolutionary, allowing replication between VMware, Hyper-V and AWS - conversion on the fly, and a a HTML5 GUI

Version 4.5 allows file restore, access based on roles, more powerful APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

We dismissed SRM and we no longer need the NetApp replication license. We were able to offer a DRaaS multitenant environment integrated with vCloud Director. Our customers think this tool is awesome.

What needs improvement?

Backup dedup and online restore, support for SMTP authentication.

4 years

Just in case of strict permission, we needed several ports to be opened. English language of OS for ZVM is needed, otherwise there's a bug showing some of the graphs.

Sometimes in large environments - enough to restart the service in ZVM.

No because it scales with ESXi scale.This is a strong pro.

Very very great, reactive answers in minutes and they don't leave you until the issue is resolved.

Great too - If the first level is unable to solve the issue, it scales to higher-level engineers on the fly.

SRM, but it needeed replication and it was complex to manage.

Smooth and Zerto techs assisted.

It was direct.

We only got SP licensing prices/model.

No, we had to decide if leaving SRM or not. Choice was simple.

What other advice do I have?

There are other competitor on the market, but this is the only one dedicated to DR. All others are backup based. It could seems expensive, but when you realize its power, you'll understand that cost is justified.

Manager - Storage & Servers at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
MSP
​Replication from Hyper-V to ESX so that I can retire my old environment is nice. The ability to add hard disks to a VM and have Zerto just pick up those changes would be improvements.

Valuable Features:

• Replication from Hyper-V to ESX so I can retire my old environment
  • Failover from Site A to Site B

Improvements to My Organization:

Before this product, we had a lot of custom scripting and multiple other products to try and get to a similar place that Zerto allows without fully managing to. Zerto allows for a more granular replication ability and therefore a more flexible model than the per-socket licensed alternatives. It is positioned fantastically for pay as you grow which is just what we were after.

Room for Improvement:

• IP Addressing of failed over VM’s isn’t working properly.
  • Over time, it would be great to get more meat on the bones in the backups side of the product.
  • Ability to add hard disks to a VM and have Zerto just pick up those changes rather than perform a full re-mirror.

Deployment Issues:

There are many post migration activities associated with a Hyper-V to ESX migration – don’t presume this is a hands off activity as it very much isn’t at this time.  To make it hands off, there would be a ton of custom scripting required.

Stability Issues:

There have been no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

It has not been an issue to scale it for our needs.

Other Advice:

The product has significant promise but it’s a long way from fully functional, there are fantastic features in the product and fantastic features promised “in the next release” too. Make sure you run through a good sizing exercise first.

Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I can safely deploy it on an ISP environment because it's designed with isolation and multi-tenancy in mind.

Valuable Features

• Interoperability between Hyper-V, ESX, vCloud, and AWS.
  • Very easy to use
  • Reliable
  • Fast
  • Also the architecture (on the ISP side) is designed with isolation and multi-tenancy in mind, so it's safely deployable on an ISP environment.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows smooth migrations which would be a lot more difficult with other technologies.

Room for Improvement

• A "manual mode" which would allow the user to failover the VMs but keeping them powered off at destination
  • More powerful scripting engine
  • Ability to move protected VMs between VPGs
  • More reliable ETA on VPG syncronization
  • root-level user for VRA installation ( at the moment the user "root" is hardcoded )
  • Bandwidth throttling schedule should include days of week

Use of Solution

I've used it for four months.

Not at all.

There were no issues.

There were no issues.

Great pre-sales experience, and good support.

8/10.

It was pretty straightforward.

Other Advice

I love the application, and it has become essential in my work.

Cloud Architect with 501-1,000 employees
With it, we're able to provide our customers with disaster recovery options that work, but when we scaled, we had slight issues protecting SQL servers.

What is most valuable?

Being able to provide customers with DR options that work.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a Cloud Services provider that owns and operates data centers coast-to-coast.

Couple of years

Only slightly when using it to protect 37 SQL servers. The high IOPS have been dealt with and we have solved that issue.

Customer Service: excellent Technical Support: excellent

We used many other solutions, but this is the one we…

What is most valuable?

Being able to provide customers with DR options that work.

Couple of years

excellent

excellent

We used many other solutions, but this is the one we reached for first.

Yes - super simple.

What other advice do I have?

When you can't afford to risk your data, Zerto is the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: www.tierpoint.com offers Zerto to fullfil a feature in our product profile.
it_user240054
Technical Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
This product is very easy to use and administer. One thing to be aware of is that the vSphere side and the AWS side will have two separate installers.
Zerto has been a great product for companies looking to deploy an easy to use disaster recovery solution. One of the limitations of the product was that it only worked with VMware vSphere, but not any more. Version 4 just dropped and it’s got a myriad of new goodies New User Interface Cross-Replication from vSphere to Microsoft SCVMM and Amazon Web Services (AWS) Sizing improvements More Secure Virtual Replication Appliances vSphere 6 support The most appealing new capability was the ability to fail over a vSphere environment to Amazon Web Services (AWS). This could save small businesses A LOT of money. Small businesses that have a disaster recovery requirement no longer need to have a dedicated co-lo and spend money on equipment when they may never use it. AWS provides…

Zerto has been a great product for companies looking to deploy an easy to use disaster recovery solution. One of the limitations of the product was that it only worked with VMware vSphere, but not any more. Version 4 just dropped and it’s got a myriad of new goodies.

• New User Interface
  • Cross-Replication from vSphere to Microsoft SCVMM and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
  • Sizing improvements
  • More Secure Virtual Replication Appliances
  • vSphere 6 support

The most appealing new capability was the ability to fail over a vSphere environment to Amazon Web Services (AWS). This could save small businesses A LOT of money. Small businesses that have a disaster recovery requirement no longer need to have a dedicated co-lo and spend money on equipment when they may never use it. AWS provides compute, storage and network on an as-needed basis and most of the time, the disaster recovery site is not needed which correlates to savings.

Zerto – Amazon Web Services Installation

Lets take a look at the Zerto architecture for vSphere to AWS. It requires a Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM) at each site which manages the environment. The vSphere side also requires a Virtual Replication Appliance (VRA) for each ESXi host that will have virtual machines to replicate. The AWS side does not require a VRA.

AWS Site

The AWS site requires the Zerto Cloud Appliance installer. This can be installed on a Windows-based host inside an EC2 instance. Most of the installation screens here are a basic information and the opportunity to change ports etc so I’ve left them out. The screen below however is some of the meat and potatoes of the installation. You’re asked for an IP/Hostname of the Cloud Appliance which it will populate for you. If you have multiple NICs on your EC2 instance, you could change it. The second part of the screenshot below is the Access Key ID which is a unique ID for an AWS owner. You can find these in the Identity and Access Management Section (IAM) in the AWS portal.

Once you click next, the installer will check to ensure windows firewall rules are open and the AWS Access Keys are valid.

vSphere Site

The vSphere site hasn’t changed much from the previous versions. The Zerto Virtual Manager needs to be installed on a Windows server.

Once the ZVMs have been installed, we need to pair the local vSphere site with the Amazon site.. To do this we can login to the ZVM by using a web browser and navigating to https://ZVMFQDN:9669 . Here we see that we still need to install VRAs and pair to another site. Click on the “Sites” tab at the top of the screen to pair the vSphere site, with the AWS Site.

Enter the IP Address of the Cloud ZVM and the port and click “PAIR”. Note: for this to work properly, network connectivity must already exist to the Amazon Networks. In my case a Site-Site VPN tunnel was created.

Now you can see that a site is listed in the “Sites” section and that we still need to install VRAs. Click the “Setup” tab at the top to install the VRAs.

Select all of the ESXi hosts that will need virtual machines replicated and enter information to install the VRAs. Each of the VRAs is a small virtual machine that will reside on the ESXi host. Enter the root password for the ESXi host, a datastore to house the virtual machine, a network that has access to the AWS Site and the amount of VRA RAM needed. You will also need to enter the network information for the VRA so that it can communicate with the ZVM and the remote site.

When done, your “Setup” tab should look similar to the one below.

Create a VPG

Now we need to setup our Virtual Protection Groups (VPG) this is the group of virtual machines that you are protecting. Click the “VPGs” tab at the top of the menu and add a VPG. A wizard will walk you through this as seen below.

I created a simple VPG called AmazonVPG.

Select one or more virtual machines to protect. You can define which order they should boot in if necessary.

Decide where the protected VMs should be replicated. I’ve only setup one other site, so it was automatically selected. Journal history determines how far back in time you can go to restore a virtual machine and “Test Reminder” just sends you an email if you haven’t tested the recovery in a while. The target RPO alert is only for alerting purposes. Zerto tries to replicate as fast as possible, so this is not a desired RPO setting, but rather an alarm to let you know that your RPO is not being met, probably due to too much replication traffic, or possibly a down WAN link.

The recovery menu allows you to define a failover network and a test network. The test network will allow you to have a completely separate environment for testing the failovers of virtual machines without affecting the production machine. These two networks can be the same or different depending on your preference.

When you’re finished with the wizard, you’ll notice that the VPG shows initializing and the Initial sync is taking place. Go grab a cup of coffee, the sync could take a while.

Notice that when the sync takes place, Zerto is utilizing an Amazon S3 bucket to house the virtual machine files. This should be cheap storage that can be used to dump the files until you need them.

Failover

You’ve done all the hard work. Our VPG is set up and its meeting it’s SLA. Now lets fail that server over to AWS. Click the “FAILOVER” button at the bottom right hand corner of the ZVM screen. NOTE: there is a toggle to change from a real failover which is disruptive to the protected virtual machine, and a test failover which is not disruptive.

Select the VPG to be failed over.

On the execution parameters screen you can change the checkpoint to which you fail over. Click Next.

When you’re ready, click “Start Failover Test”.

You’ll see the ZVM will have an action item taking place. When it’s finished you’ll notice that your EC2 screen has an additional virtual machine listed. Note: The failover process could take some time so be sure to test your RTO. The Cloud ZVM performs an import from the S3 bucket into EC2 and this process can take time.

When you’re finished with a “Test Failover” you can click the Stop button and you’ll be prompted with a window to enter a note about the test for record keeping. If this is a real failover scenario, there is no current failback built into Zerto 4 at the time of release. Failing back from AWS to your vSphere environment can be accomplished by exporting the VM and importing into vSphere. Look for this to change in future updates from Zerto.

Summary

I’m a big fan of Zerto and even more so now that they can replicate to Amazon. This product is very easy to use and administer and doesn’t require any sort of hardware appliance to handle replication traffic. It even does WAN optimization to cut down on the amount of bandwidth needed. If you’re looking for a orchestration tool for disaster recovery, you should check them out.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Zerto has been a sponsor of theITHollow for a long time. This has not in any way affected my views towards the product and I was not paid or even asked to write this post.
it_user153090
Head of Cloud Architecture at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Top of the list if you're using VMware or Hyper-V. Would be nice to have more supported hyper-visors.

What is most valuable?

Near real time continuous disaster recovery, Journaling and the ability to replicate from Hyper-V and other VMware clouds into our cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide this product as a service to our clients. The ease of providing test failover results to them is invaluable and only takes a few minutes to initiate and complete so no time is wasted.

What needs improvement?

More Supported Hyper-visors

2 year

Non What so ever very straight forward and easy to complete. Also upgrading to the latest version could not be easier to do.

Not once in the last two years.

Non scales easily with an appliance on each ESX host and a central management console.

Excellent

We did use a previous product which was clunky to use and was only a point in time image. Zerto is simple fast and reliable and our clients like the charts we can produce and is near real time.

Initial install was straightforward and simple to complete with the minimum amount of time taken up.

We had Zerto help us with the implementation and they were brilliant.

We pay per month per protected VM which is vastly cost efficient.

Yes, I looked at VMare SRM and Veeam Replication.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking at DR products put Zerto straight to the top of the list if you are using VMware or Hyper-V.

Network Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 501-1,000 employees
Zero to DR in 60 minutes

Valuable Features:

The simplicity of replication and test failover make this a very easy-to-use solution.

Improvements to My Organization:

We did not have disaster-recovery plans for some of our critical systems because application-based solutions were too expensive and complicated. Moving these applications to VMs and creating DR plans using Zerto makes a complicated failover much easier.

Room for Improvement:

Remediating VMware clusters gets more complicated because the VRAs are pinned to each host and will prevent the host from entering maintenance mode. The cluster must now be remediated manually because once all VMs are migrated from the host you must power down the VRA manually and perform the remediation. Once remediated you can exit maintenance mode and restart the VRA and allow VMs to migrate back to the host.

Use of Solution:

6 months

Deployment Issues:

When we were deploying our POC we had some errors in network configuration that had to be worked out in order for Zerto to function properly. I can't understate the importance of getting your networking configuration done in advance.

Initial Setup:

Once you have your network configured the Zerto configuration is simple. We implemented a proof-of-concept deployment in about 2 hours.

Implementation Team:

We implemented in-house as part of a proof-of-concept with a Zerto engineer.

Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to configure replication groups and multiple options for recovery of virtual machines

What is most valuable?

Simple, fast install Easy upgrades Grouping virtual machines by application, not LUN Automatic IP address change

How has it helped my organization?

Simplified the way annual DR tests are performed as well as being a tool for migrating workloads between data centers as needed.

What needs improvement?

Would like to see additional reports after recovery operations with details on recovery of each VM

2 years

Customer Service: Sales and customer service are responsive to questions. Technical Support: Technical Support is very helpful. They reply to phone or email quickly.

Used VMware SRM previously

How

What is most valuable?

Simple, fast install

Easy upgrades

Grouping virtual machines by application, not LUN

Automatic IP address change

2 years

Sales and customer service are responsive to questions.

Technical Support is very helpful. They reply to phone or email quickly.

Used VMware SRM previously

Straightforward, simple deployment

Team Lead, Virtualization/Converged at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Zert0 accomplishes everything advertised and much more...

What is most valuable?

Leveraging 'Move' to perform VC-to-VC migrations with little downtime.

How has it helped my organization?

Has simplified our DR/BC strategy and allows us to quickly protect Production applications that require low RPO's. We've done several fail-over tests with documented results. We feel Zert0 will only compliment our SDDC strategy.

POC'd the product for 2 months and purchased in March of 2014.

None.. Implementation was simple and quick. We were replicating vms in a matter of hours.

Nothing to date

Customer service has been excellent

Technical support has been exceptional

We've used traditional LUN based replication which can be challenging in any virtual environment. Zert0 gave us the granularity to replicate VMDKs to any target datastore.

Setup was simple and straightforward. We encountered no issues.

We spent weeks doing a POC and literally installed and re-installed multiple times to see if there were any impacts on our infrastructure. There were none and it worked as advertised.

N/A

We had capacity so our only setup costs were building a couple of VMs to install the Zert0 Consoles on and licensing of the product. Minimal when compared to SRM, Recover Point and Storage.

We did a POC with SRM and researched Recover Point extensively.

What other advice do I have?

I feel because the product is so simplistic yet extremely robust and effective management may perceive Zert0 as not being Enterprise worthy when in reality, it is. Bottom line, its a great product that brings standardization and simplicity to DR/BC.

Senior Vmware administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The top dog of DR IMO.

What is most valuable?

The ease of daily operations. This program takes almost no interaction on a daily basis.

How has it helped my organization?

Zerto has given us a sense of security. To know that we can move our production data to our DR site in minutes lets me sleep much better at night.

What needs improvement?

Support for Hyper-V which is on the way.

In production for almost 1 year now.

Absolutely none. I was replicating my first VPG in less than an hour.

Only things that I have caused myself.

Started with 50 vms today protecting almost 300 and I have had no issues.

I would give it an 8/10. Alot of customer service is handled through back and forth emails but once you get someone on a phone call and screen sharing the level goes to a 10/10.

9/10

We tried out SRM but chose Zerto because of the ease of use.

Very straightforward and I had a tech with me the whole way.

Implemented in-house and once again it was a PAINLESS process.

SRM and went with Zerto so we would not have to use SAN-to-SAN replication.

What other advice do I have?

The best thing is that all you need is storage and vcenter in two locations and you have met all requirements to install and protect your vm's.

Data Center Expert with 501-1,000 employees
Zerto just works

What is most valuable?

Near-zero RPO, granular selection of individual VMs and the very simple setup and management.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced DR strategy documentation and procedures.

What needs improvement?

Physical servers would be a nice enhancement. I would also like to see the backup portion really enhanced further.

3 Years +

Deployment is so easy, so no.

Excellent

Yes. The product(s) I was using for replication were not as efficient and could not provide nearly as low of an RPO as Zerto.

Easy

Veeam replication, SRM and array-based.

What other advice do I have?

I work for a data center solutions company and DR was always the toughest challenge. I have recommended numerous solutions to my customers over the years but when we stumbled upon Zerto 4 years ago it has become our standard recommendation in these projects. It's easy to setup and manage but best of all...it just works as expected.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for a Zerto partner but have used this product in numerous projects and have much direct experience with it.
it_user6600
Senior Manager of IT at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Meets all the ticks when looking for a DR solution.

Valuable Features:

Meets all the ticks when looking for a Disaster Recovery Product/Service. Low RPO exceptional RTS. Integrates directly with vCentre Server. Easy to use.

Room for Improvement:

Needs better reporting.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Needs better reporting.
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Best BC\DR solution for virtual infrastructures

Valuable Features:

Hardware-Independent Simple configuration Easy installation Integrated with vCenter Server and vCloud Director Very low RPOs

Room for Improvement:

Poor documentation Poor reporting engine Bugs with rollback procedures

Other Advice:

Allows for semi-synchronic replication, even though it's hardware independent.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Poor documentation Poor reporting engine Bugs with rollback procedures

Other Advice:

Allows for semi-synchronic replication, even though it's hardware independent.
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It works great, taking BC\DR to a whole new level.
It works great, taking BC\DR to a whole new level; even though it's a "young" product and still has lots of improvements to do, it will allow for every company to implement a successful BC\DR strategy