ZoneAlarm OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ZoneAlarm is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Anti-Malware Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: ZoneAlarm vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint

What is ZoneAlarm?

ZoneAlarm protects you by preventing hackers from remotely accessing and controlling your device, and lets you know which apps have excessive permissions so you can decide whether they threaten your privacy.

Download the Anti-Malware Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ZoneAlarm Customers

Terma, Optix, Samsung Research Amercia, SF Police Credit Union, Independence Care System, Mattias Thomsen, Carmel Partners, Desert Research Institute, CRIF, FXCM Inc, US State Agency

ZoneAlarm Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ZoneAlarm pricing:
  • "We use the free version of the software, but it can be upgraded to the paid Extreme Security edition."
  • "This is a freeware product and I recommend using it."

ZoneAlarm Reviews

Oleg Pekar
Senior Network/Security Engineer at Skywind Group
A regularly-updated and cost-effective way to secure against BYOD threats

• "Personally, I find the Game Mode of the Firewall very useful."
  • "Some of our users say that the interface is a little bit outdated for 2020, and want it to be more modern and cozy."

What is our primary use case?

We use ZoneAlarm Antivirus with Firewall software for protecting the Bring-Your-Own-Devices that our employees take to the offices, and for a limited number of teams only since it is not an approved corporative standard software yet. In total, there are about 150 laptops of different kinds with several generations of the Windows operating systems running ZoneAlarm.

Currently, we use the Free version of Zone Alarm and not the Extreme Security edition. As for the free solution, ZoneAlarm provides good security capabilities. We use both Firewall and Antivirus, with regular scans and updates scheduled.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization does not have a dedicated budget for the BYOD endpoint security software, so we have to stick with the free solutions available on the market.

ZoneAlarm Antivirus with Firewall software is a good match for protecting the Windows-only environments of our company's offices, and now we have been using it for about two years.

It has not only the firewall functions but a constantly updated Antivirus, and even an advanced Anti-Malware blade. Nobody else that we know of provides that for free.

Of course, it does not have centralized management, but that is not expected from the free software.

What is most valuable?

1. The software is completely free, but you could always buy & apply a license if you feel the need for it.
  2. Despite the name, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall is not just a firewall but has built-in Antivirus as well. The Antivirus databases are updated on a regular basis, and they also provide both on-demand and scheduled scanning of the file system and memory.
  3. Constant updates of the "software blades", per configured schedule.
  4. Personally, I find the Game Mode of the Firewall very useful. When it's enabled, all the scan/updates/alerts are suppressed, and I can enjoy playing without interruptions.

What needs improvement?

1. Currently, there are only the clients available for the Windows operating systems family. It would be nice to have the software version with the same functionality for the macOS operating system.
  2. There is no centralized management software for the free version of ZoneAlarm.
  3. Some of our users say that the interface is a little bit outdated for 2020, and want it to be more modern and cozy.
  4. Minor issues with the performance have been reported for the really old laptops that lack the free RAM available.

We have been using ZoneAlarm for about two years.

The antivirus and firewall are stable and work smoothly on the Windows laptops.

Previously, we didn't have a security policy for having the antivirus and firewall on the BYOD devices.

The setup was easy and straightforward, no pitfalls have been met.

The implementation was performed by the in-house team, no special skills or knowledge is required for the Zone Alarm.

We tried Sophos and Comodo as well, but the users voted for ZoneAlarm after the PoC.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend ZoneAlarm as a simple but efficient solution, especially if your organization doesn't have a dedicated budget for providing a security solution for BYOD devices.

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall is a good choice for protecting Windows-only environments on the user PCs, but you should also have network-layer protection.

Kirtikumar Patel
Network Engineer at LTTS
Cost effective, regularly updated, and is very easy to use

• "This antivirus is regularly updated, and the updates can be scheduled."
  • "Currently, the client is only available for the Windows Operating System but it would be good if it were released for Mac OS as well."

What is our primary use case?

We are using ZoneAlarm Antivirus + Firewall for our employees who have BYOD devices. It is implemented at our one small branch office, where we do not want to purchase it because this is a temporary location.

This is a free version that lets us protect our users with CheckPoint security.

ZoneAlarm provides us with very good security and we are using both of the modules. This includes antivirus as well as firewall features, and it is very easy and stable for us.

We are doing regular scanning of our employees' BYOD devices and it's updated regularly.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization does not want to purchase a new CheckPoint hardware firewall but we still want to protect our users or employees and their BYOD devices with it. This is why we started using the free CheckPoint ZoneAlarm solution.

In today's scenario, it is helpful to have this kind of solution, which is freely available in the market. It is only CheckPoint that offers this type of leverage to secure our organization freely.

What is most valuable?

This Zone Alarm Firewall & Antivirus is freely available, so we can use it without investing dollars or rupees. Once you are satisfied, you can buy additional features because this option also available.

This antivirus is regularly updated, and the updates can be scheduled.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the client is only available for the Windows Operating System but it would be good if it were released for Mac OS as well.

There is no centralized management available, so this is something that I would like to see in the future.

We have been using ZoneAlarm for more than six months.

This is the solution only we used for our small office.

This is a freeware product and I recommend using it.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great solution and I personally recommend it.

Product Categories
Anti-Malware Tools
Download our free Anti-Malware Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Check Point, Microsoft, Broadcom, and more!