Zoom OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zoom is #2 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. IT Central Station users give Zoom an average rating of 8 out of 10. Zoom is most commonly compared to TeamViewer: Zoom vs TeamViewer. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Zoom?

Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Our easy, reliable cloud platform for video, phone, content sharing, and chat runs across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. Message me to learn more about how Zoom can help your business or organization Visit zoom.com and follow @zoom_us.

Zoom Buyer's Guide

Download the Zoom Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Zoom Customers

Fortinet, Veeva, Proofpoint, Box, Ticketmaster, Trend Micro, Caesars Entertainment, Santa Clara University, Pandora, Stanford Continuing Studies

Zoom Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Zoom pricing:
  • "There is a free version available with time limits."

Zoom Reviews

Odell Hall
Owner, Editor-In-Chief at planetill.com
Easy to use for people with no tech background

• "I like Zoom's ease of use and how easy it is for non-tech people to interface with it. Other video conferencing solutions can be somewhat challenging for non-tech people, so you often end up waiting for people to connect."
  • "Security is something Zoom lacks. If you're trying to get proprietary buy-in and enterprise buy-in, security is the top priority. And even though the user interface is simple, every solution could use a tune-up in that department."

What is our primary use case?

Everyone in the company uses it, so it's about a few dozen. I use it for interviews and group discussions but very rarely for meetings because there are security issues on that level. So I don't share proprietary information on Zoom, but I use it frequently for normal discussion. Obviously, now that people are getting back to work, we're not using it as much, but it's still useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Zoom is more accessible for people without a lot of tech knowledge. So let's say you're setting up a Zoom call with your parents, and they don't have the hardware or other things you need on their computer. It's easy to Zoom with them over the phone rather than inviting them to a meeting and getting them to a place with a microphone and a screen. It's highly mobile and easy for them to join the conversation.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom's ease of use and how easy it is for non-tech people to interface with it. Other video conferencing solutions can be somewhat challenging for non-tech people, so you often end up waiting for people to connect. Although Microsoft Teams is probably a better enterprise product overall, it's not as good for people who don't have that kind of tech history. Also, I've had some microphone issues and connection issues with Teams.

What needs improvement?

Security is something Zoom lacks. If you're trying to get proprietary buy-in and enterprise buy-in, security is the top priority. And even though the user interface is simple, every solution could use a tune-up in that department. I found it easy, but those things are not difficult for me. Of course, I can't speak for older adults who might not have experience interfacing with these things. Maybe Zoom could be made easier for them.

But again, when it comes to ease of use, Zoom is on the lower and higher-end, depending on how you look at it. We don't use Zoom for presentations, so I'm unsure if it already has this feature. But if Zoom could enable you to present directly, that's something that would add a lot of value.

We've been using Zoom for over a year.

I haven't had any issues. However, once you get beyond a certain number, it becomes very dependent on the admin to figure out who should be talking. The more people you have, the more difficult it will be to keep track. But I suppose that's a function of any meeting.

Zoom's scalability depends on whether people are following Robert's Rules of Order or how amenable your staff is to have those kinds of meetings. If they're not used to that kind of thing, then you have people speaking out of turn, so it depends on how good your moderator is. Generally speaking, though, the more people on a call, the more difficult it is to manage who's speaking or keep track of who is who.

Hopefully, we won't be expanding our usage any time soon because that would mean things have gone south in terms of the pandemic. For now, our usage will remain steady, and I don't see it expanding to that extent. Even if you have customers across different markets, it won't be expanded on one end because the user base on the proprietary end won't increase.

You really didn't need tech support for Zoom. Something terrible would have to happen before you called Zoom tech support. Even then, you have your internal IT team for stuff like this, but it's not a cumbersome app. People have security issues. They get hacked. I know of a few people who had their Zoom meetings interrupted with frat-boy antics, racist trolling, and all kinds of crazy things. We've never had those kinds of issues, but if your password gets out or something like that, you may have to call tech support and see if they can block some IP address. But we've never had to deal with that kind of issue.

People at this company use Skype and Webex fairly frequently, but Webex is more of an onsite on-prem thing. For example, Webex is used when you don't want to go upstairs to talk to your coworker or you can't fit that many people in a conference room. Webex is more appropriate for direct presentations. We don't use Zoom for that kind of thing. But Zoom is easier to use overall than Webex, Teams, and Skype.

Setting up Zoom is incredibly easy. Let's say you're told that you need to go to a Zoom conference that starts in five minutes. You can set yourself up in that time and not be late. With some of these other solutions, you're doing mic checks, interface checks, internet checks, etc. It's easy to set Zoom up right away.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom seven out of 10. Again, I would say seven because of ease of use, how widely available it is, and how easy it is to adapt. But I don't know how well it can work at the large enterprise level. For our normal usage, I think it's solid.

At the same time, I wouldn't present via Zoom unless I had an experienced presenter. You have to keep the audience's attention or use Webex so the presentation is onscreen. When using Teams or Webex, you're sharing screens, so it's a direct kind of thing. In Zoom, you have a camera, and you're presenting. In my experience, it's not a direct-to-screen presentation. It's more of the audience watching you present from a screen. So that requires a little bit more attention. If you're having a town hall or something along those lines, I would say Zoom is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're trying to do something that involves specifications and very minute details, use Teams or Webex.

Rebekah Shields
Strategy & Operations at Allstacks
Very user friendly, easy to share screens, and lots of useful features

• "There are lots of great features available to every user."
  • "How they have the gallery aligned when someone is sharing a screen isn't ideal right now. If there were more options on how to arrange it, would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for remote meetings.

My typical use case is doing product tours, as well as tool connections, and explainer videos for how to use dashboards for our product. I teach people through virtual training.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically, the solution hasn't changed the way I work so much. I've been remote since before COVID-19 and all my work is being handled in the same way as it was before. However, I'm very aware that for everyone else in the world it's probably changed the way meetings are traditionally handled.

We have a technical product that is quite complicated to understand without being able to visually see and walk people through it and show them how to use it. Zoom makes it possible to do visual training. Instead of being in there face to face, however, we're able to actually just walk them through each training session and new users can ask questions, and dive deep into the product to understand it better.

What is most valuable?

I like being able to record the sessions if I need to. I also like the option to annotate.

The options to add polls and share screens are great.

There are lots of great features available to every user.

It's pretty user friendly and easy for people to use. All the clients I have say they don't typically have any problems getting into it or using it. It's great in that respect.

What needs improvement?

I would say the polls need improvement.

When you're using the video, there's a little dialogue box that pops up. It's annoying to everybody who uses Zoom. It would be nice if it had some more features for driving interaction and engagement during meetings. However, they need to make sure the dialog box is up there in a more convenient way.

The ability to make it easier for poll creation and usage would be helpful. If I make a poll, I want it to be accessible to all my different meetings, not just that one meeting. Right now, it's a lot of extra work due to the fact that I have to continuously re-create it every time I need it.

I have been using the solution for at least a year, or, maybe at this point, two.

I haven't had any problems with stability. It's actually been much more stable than the other five different conferencing tools I have used. I'm happy with that. It's quite reliable.

We only have 16 users on the solution at this time. That's everyone in our organization.

We use the solution often, however, since everyone is already on it in our organization, we don't have plans to scale more or increase usage. We're already at 100% usage.

From day one, we've been using video conferencing as our main method of communication.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I have a background in IT, so my instinct, if I run into issues, is to figure everything out myself. I can't speak to the quality of their service since I've never dealt with them.

I've tried about five other solutions, and Zoom, by far, has been the most stable and reliable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward in some ways. However, it's not intuitive per se. It's straightforward once you're aware of it, and yet, there are a lot of features I didn't even know were there until I did some research. It wasn't obvious from how they have their website set up. You have to really dig for features. I found it only after six months or a year into using it.

We currently use the business account on Zoom. I'm not sure of what the exact costs are to use the solution. The pricing, as I understand it, is very straightforward. There might be just one add-on cost, which would be for users who would like to join in or talk via toll-free dialing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a professional relationship with Zoom.

In terms of advice for implementing the solution, I would probably just say make sure that new users go into the settings within their account and see what they have turned on and off. For instance, I just told my CEO and a couple of the other executives about the option to annotate because I assumed that they knew that was possible. They didn't.

There's also the capability of using a whiteboard. There are a bunch of other really great features that are available as well that are not obvious at first. Users need to just go in through their account settings and click on everything and set the account up in ways that are convenient for them depending on what they're trying to accomplish.

It's strange that the majority of the cool features are by default disabled, so users have to go in and become familiar with them on the back end. Everyone needs to take the time to make sure you really play around with it, or go to the help center and watch some videos, and read some of the articles to see what's available.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VS
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reliable and easy to navigate with easy access to lots of great functionalities

• "The solution is easy to navigate."
  • "The solution needs to have a feature that allows you to take over another person's screen. right now, that's not possible. This is important for our purposes due to the act that we are often using the solution to troubleshoot issues for our clients. If we could just take over their screen and go in and fix issues, it would make troubleshooting infinitely easier."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for business meetings and occasionally for some personal events as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very reliable. I've never had issues with the video or audio.

The solution is easy to navigate.

It's very easy to find the functionalities I need when I am using it.

The product makes it easy to invite people to the meetings.

It offers great collaboration functionality.

What needs improvement?

The solution should also make it easier to be able to share material with each other during the meetings.

If the flexibility could improve, so there aren't disruptions during meetings, that would be great. Occasionally we get a frozen page. However, that may be network or connectivity issues on our end.

While I did occasionally use Zoom before COVID-19, due to participation in events organized by our software partner, I've only really begun to use it regularly this year, after we had to socially distance.

The stability is great. It's reliable. The audio and video always work. There's no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash either.

The scalability is fine. If users need to scale the solution, they can do so easily. You can have many people on one call.

We also use Skype. Both Skype and Zoom have been very useful to us during COVID social distancing requirements.

The product is very reminiscent of Skype. I prefer both Zoom and Skype to Microsoft Teams, which I dislike. Teams is more difficult to use and to invite people to meetings. Skype and Zoom, for example, are easy to navigate to the functionalities I need.

I also do not like WebEx, which I have also used in the past. Webex takes control of my camera sometimes without explicitly stating so, and this is an unpleasant experience for me. Zoom never does this.

I don't have much to say about the initial implementation. I always just use the web application, and, in that sense, there really isn't a setup of deployment of the product. It's just a website you go to utilize the services.

In my past experience using WebEx and Skype, however, I recall their setups to be quite easy and relatively quick. I imagine Zoom is very much the same.

What other advice do I have?

We're just Zoom customers. We don't have any special business partnership with the company.

I'm using the group application and I believe it's the latest version of the solution that I always access. I don't have it downloaded onto my PC.

Due to COVID, I've had to organize sessions on my own. Before COVID, I was only invited to sessions. It's only been recently that I've had to get to know all the functionality of to solution and processes behind inviting other people to meetings, etc.

I would advise other users to simply use the web application of the solution and to avoid downloading anything onto your desktop.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I really like the solution. It has great useability.

PK
CIO at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Great functionality, very reliable, and offers excellent video and audio quality

• "The video and audio quality are very good."
  • "Although I have not experienced this issue directly, I have heard that there are a lot of security issues with Zoom. Security is very important to us and I have read in the news, there have been a few security issues with them, which worries us in general. We have to update this solution to use it for business purposes soon. We have to check it with an independent security product to verify its safety."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to run meetings with our partners occasionally.

What is most valuable?

We like that the solution is very common. Everybody is using this type of collaboration software, which makes it easy for everyone to jump on a call, as everyone is familiar with the software. A lot of our partners are using Zoom.

The functionality is great.

We like the act that you can record a session if you like.

The video and audio quality are very good.

We can use it anywhere, including on-premise or remotely.

What needs improvement?

Although I have not experienced this issue directly, I have heard that there are a lot of security issues with Zoom. Security is very important to us and I have read in the news, there have been a few security issues with them, which worries us in general. We have to update this solution to use it for business purposes soon. We have to check it with an independent security product to verify its safety.

I don't know if Zoom has a mobile application, however, if they don't, they should consider developing one.

We've only been using the solution since the start of COVID-19, which has been, at this point, about six months.

The solution is very popular mostly because of its stability. It may be one of the top three solutions at this point. We haven't faced any issues and find it to be reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze and I haven't experienced bugs or glitches.

About ten people in our organization use the solution, and occasionally maybe up to 15 colleagues who like to use Zoom and Zoom's business solutions for meetings.

I don't have a problem with scaling the solution. I haven't experienced any technical issues scaling and have been able to talk with big partners and corporates quite easily.

We do plan to move to the business version of Zoom in the future.

We do use other conferencing solutions as well, however, most of our clients are using Zoom, so it is our preference. We often also use Microsoft Teams.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very fast and straightforward. The whole process really is just a few clicks and you are ready to go.

We didn't really have an implementation strategy, and deployment doesn't take long. Right now, we're just using the online version and considering buying a business account, which we haven't done yet. I'm not sure if that will have more of a setup process or not.

We're using the free version of the solution currently, and are considering a business account in the future.

I believe for business accounts, Zoom offers monthly and yearly pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the free version of the solution. We needed to have a company type of access to use it so we do not have a local installation.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

JJ
RPA Operations Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Good connectivity and clarity of sound has improved communication internationally

• "Ability to record sessions."
  • "Password requirement for every meeting."

What is our primary use case?

We're a small company, around 65 people. Some are external consultants and the rest are employees. We've been using Zoom since well before the pandemic. I'm the RPA operations manager and we're a customer.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a remote organization, so the ability to have video conferencing is very helpful, both internally and externally with our clients. Not everything requires face to face or video conferencing, but it's nice to have that ability and on the current outlook of the world, I think it's going to be the way to go in the future.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom because you can record your sessions. You have the option to be able to select whether or not your audio is through your laptop or through your phone and you have different recording options. You can record with or without sound. We have the option to use the free 40-minute sessions or to pay for anything longer. One of the benefits of the 40 minute free sessions is that anyone can access them and it's great for short meetings. Also, Zoom recently implemented a Microsoft Office add-in, which means you can now schedule Zoom meetings without having to go into the Zoom app.

What needs improvement?

The one thing I don't like is that they now require you to have a password for every meeting and when I'm just dealing with my staff, where I want to have a conversation but not necessarily a meeting. I know this was implemented due to security concerns, but I don't necessarily like it or need it for everything. That's the only thing I've come across that I didn't really care for, especially in cases where I'm not really using it for a video conference, but for a conference line.

Our company has been using this solution for about a year.

The solution is currently handling hundreds of thousands of people across the country and across the world so it's pretty stable.

There isn't really an issue of scalability as we don't maintain it and each individual contractor or employee downloads their own version. When updates comes through, we'll get a patch or  a new version and they'll be required to upload or install it before they can continue using the solution, like with any other product.

I've never used technical support.

I like Zoom better than WebEx or Skype. We're dealing with people all over the world, so specifically when we're connecting to Columbia or South America, Skype doesn't hold up well, Zooms' clarity seems to be much better. I think the connectivity of Zoom is better.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple - download it and you're off to the races.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Nandini Yadav
Senior Research Associate at LearningMate
Good quality, offers screen-sharing, and the interface is easy to use

• "The most valuable feature is push notifications"
  • "They should consider increasing the time limits for free users."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for video calling, web, and group meetings.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is push notifications. We use it as a user and Zoom has the option to control the entire meeting with the push notifications. One person can control the entire meeting, which is quite handy for an organizational meeting.

For personal meetings, the screen-sharing and the quality of the video is great.

The interface is easy to understand, and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

For those who cannot purchase the ID, they have a time limit of 40 minutes. They should consider increasing the time limits for free users.

I am from India, and here we have students who are using Zoom for their college classes or science classes. If they would increase the video times then it would increase their market size. Once they have more time, they can use it more often and could possibly decide to purchase the paid version.

The backgrounds are a bit dull. I would like to see some improvements made to the backgrounds that are available.

We started using the free version of Zoom a year ago, but only just made the official purchase one month ago.

We have been using the Business Zoom in full for the last month.

It's a stable solution. We don't have any issues connecting.

This solution is scalable.

We have 500 employees who are using it. It is being used extensively in our organization right now as everyone is working from remote locations.

In India, the COVID lockdown is increasing every month. The chances are that we will be increasing our account users.

I have not spoken with anyone in the technical support team. We have our own IT department and go directly to them if we have any issues.

Previously we were using Join Me. The interface was poor and we were having many issues during web calls and group meetings. We switched to using Zoom and the experience has been very good.

We have also used Skype, Skype for Business, and some other tools. Zoom is easier.

I have used Hangouts Meet and when you increase users the video quality deteriorates and you will face many issues.

There is a free version available with time limits.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the company budget, this would be a great solution to use. It's user-friendly and the video quality is very good. The bandwidth it requires is good, and you can continue with your meetings without any issues.

Compared to other products on the market, this is a very good solution. There are very few options available that have a good interface that is easy to use and understand with good video calling.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Sean Maxwell
VMware Senior Client Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
High-level video quality, plenty of features, and highly scalable

• "There are many valuables features of Zoom. The visibility is very good. The ability to see everyone that is talking and the indication spotlight of who the primary speaker is helpful. The solution is interactive, the participants are able to raise their hand, comment, give gestures, such as thumbs up or down."
  • "The solution can improve by having the option to be able to lock the primary speaker on high definition the entire time. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have easy Zoom room-like features for individuals using lightboards. There should be quick invitations and integration with Slack and Outlook."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom as a communication solution. I am an active user of the solution and I use it for approximately six hours a day.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuables features of Zoom. The visibility is very good. The ability to see everyone that is talking and the indication spotlight of who the primary speaker is helpful. The solution is interactive, the participants are able to raise their hand, comment, give gestures, such as thumbs up or down. There is the option to record, the quality of the video is great, the quality of the desktop sharing is clear, easy scheduling, and overall ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by having the option to be able to lock the primary speaker on high definition the entire time. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have easy Zoom room-like features for individuals using lightboards. There should be quick invitations and integration with Slack and Outlook.

In an upcoming release, I would like to have a push-button screen capture of what I am doing. I do not want to record the whole process, but I want a push-button screen capture. For example, if we are doing a PowerPoint or lightboard and I have edited it and I want to capture the change, having a push-button that records it to my laptop would be a large advantage.

I have been using Zoom for approximately two years.

The stability is good but I noticed quality issues for people who are using cell phones. There should be a note somewhere that says landline preferred. It is best to use WiFi rather than mobile data. This is more of a user issue than it is a platform issue.

The solution is highly scalable. We have zoom sessions that include tens of thousands of people.

I have never had an issue with Zoom to have the need to contact the support.

I have used WebEx and Teams previously. The video quality is poor, I cannot do screenshots easily or see what my lightboards are doing. When I am looking at myself on Teams, Teams flips my video around and there is no option for me to do a screen capture on Teams. If I am on a Teams call, I open up Zoom, I flip to Zoom video, I do my screen capture there and then I flip back to Teams for the call. I dislike Teams.

What other advice do I have?

The additions I have suggested are to make an already amazing platform even better. My utilization of Zoom is better than everybody else in my organization as far as how many features are being used. I do training, teachings, and client-facing workshops and I have a lightboard integrated with Zoom, I use it extensively.

I rate Zoom a ten out of ten.

AS
Global Procurement at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, and scalable, with a setup that's easy

• "The solution can scale easily."
  • "The only thing that I can't get to work well is putting one of those little fancy wallpaper picture screens behind me during meetings so that I don't show my house or the room I'm attending from. Everyone is basically working remotely at this point. It would help to just have a neutral professional background for meetings that's easy to add."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for all of our internal and external meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The solution can scale easily.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I can't get to work well is putting one of those little fancy wallpaper picture screens behind me during meetings so that I don't show my house or the room I'm attending from. Everyone is basically working remotely at this point. It would help to just have a neutral professional background for meetings that's easy to add. It might be helpful if there was a tutorial to walk people through the process of adding a background. It would also be great if they offered more recommended backgrounds on hand to choose from.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half.

The solution is largely very stable. I've only seen one little glitch in Zoom and I don't know if it was from something on our network or Zoom's. That slight glitch happened a few weeks ago. It was only a hiccup, but that was it. That's the only one I've seen. Other than that, there aren't crashes or bugs. It's been reliable, mostly.

It's very easy to scale. If we need to expand the solution, we know we will be able to.

Currently, we have at least 2,200 users on Zoom right now. We extensively use the solution on a daily basis. I use it at least five times a day myself.

We have a central IT team that handles any issues we may have. We wouldn't contact Zoom technical support directly as we would go through them.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex at all.

It's been a year and a half, so I can't recall how long the deployment actually took.

You might only need one person to handle the maintenance, and I doubt if they need to work on it full time. It's pretty low-maintenance.

Our own in-house IT team handled the implementation and configuration for us. We didn't need outside contractors or resellers.

We pay a corporate license for the solution. I don't know the exact pricing on the cost to the company.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers of the solution; we don't have a professional business relationship with Zoom.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'm not exactly a technical person, so I am only speaking of my personal non-technical experience.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's been great to use so far.