PK
CIO at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Great functionality, very reliable, and offers excellent video and audio quality

• "The video and audio quality are very good."
  • "Although I have not experienced this issue directly, I have heard that there are a lot of security issues with Zoom. Security is very important to us and I have read in the news, there have been a few security issues with them, which worries us in general. We have to update this solution to use it for business purposes soon. We have to check it with an independent security product to verify its safety."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to run meetings with our partners occasionally.

What is most valuable?

We like that the solution is very common. Everybody is using this type of collaboration software, which makes it easy for everyone to jump on a call, as everyone is familiar with the software. A lot of our partners are using Zoom.

The functionality is great.

We like the act that you can record a session if you like.

The video and audio quality are very good.

We can use it anywhere, including on-premise or remotely.

What needs improvement?

Although I have not experienced this issue directly, I have heard that there are a lot of security issues with Zoom. Security is very important to us and I have read in the news, there have been a few security issues with them, which worries us in general. We have to update this solution to use it for business purposes soon. We have to check it with an independent security product to verify its safety.

I don't know if Zoom has a mobile application, however, if they don't, they should consider developing one.

We've only been using the solution since the start of COVID-19, which has been, at this point, about six months.

The solution is very popular mostly because of its stability. It may be one of the top three solutions at this point. We haven't faced any issues and find it to be reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze and I haven't experienced bugs or glitches.

About ten people in our organization use the solution, and occasionally maybe up to 15 colleagues who like to use Zoom and Zoom's business solutions for meetings.

I don't have a problem with scaling the solution. I haven't experienced any technical issues scaling and have been able to talk with big partners and corporates quite easily.

We do plan to move to the business version of Zoom in the future.

We do use other conferencing solutions as well, however, most of our clients are using Zoom, so it is our preference. We often also use Microsoft Teams.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very fast and straightforward. The whole process really is just a few clicks and you are ready to go.

We didn't really have an implementation strategy, and deployment doesn't take long. Right now, we're just using the online version and considering buying a business account, which we haven't done yet. I'm not sure if that will have more of a setup process or not.

We're using the free version of the solution currently, and are considering a business account in the future.

I believe for business accounts, Zoom offers monthly and yearly pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the free version of the solution. We needed to have a company type of access to use it so we do not have a local installation.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

JJ
RPA Operations Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Good connectivity and clarity of sound has improved communication internationally

• "Ability to record sessions."
  • "Password requirement for every meeting."

What is our primary use case?

We're a small company, around 65 people. Some are external consultants and the rest are employees. We've been using Zoom since well before the pandemic. I'm the RPA operations manager and we're a customer.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a remote organization, so the ability to have video conferencing is very helpful, both internally and externally with our clients. Not everything requires face to face or video conferencing, but it's nice to have that ability and on the current outlook of the world, I think it's going to be the way to go in the future.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom because you can record your sessions. You have the option to be able to select whether or not your audio is through your laptop or through your phone and you have different recording options. You can record with or without sound. We have the option to use the free 40-minute sessions or to pay for anything longer. One of the benefits of the 40 minute free sessions is that anyone can access them and it's great for short meetings. Also, Zoom recently implemented a Microsoft Office add-in, which means you can now schedule Zoom meetings without having to go into the Zoom app.

What needs improvement?

The one thing I don't like is that they now require you to have a password for every meeting and when I'm just dealing with my staff, where I want to have a conversation but not necessarily a meeting. I know this was implemented due to security concerns, but I don't necessarily like it or need it for everything. That's the only thing I've come across that I didn't really care for, especially in cases where I'm not really using it for a video conference, but for a conference line.

Our company has been using this solution for about a year.

The solution is currently handling hundreds of thousands of people across the country and across the world so it's pretty stable.

There isn't really an issue of scalability as we don't maintain it and each individual contractor or employee downloads their own version. When updates comes through, we'll get a patch or  a new version and they'll be required to upload or install it before they can continue using the solution, like with any other product.

I've never used technical support.

I like Zoom better than WebEx or Skype. We're dealing with people all over the world, so specifically when we're connecting to Columbia or South America, Skype doesn't hold up well, Zooms' clarity seems to be much better. I think the connectivity of Zoom is better.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple - download it and you're off to the races.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Nandini Yadav
Senior Research Associate at LearningMate
Good quality, offers screen-sharing, and the interface is easy to use

• "The most valuable feature is push notifications"
  • "They should consider increasing the time limits for free users."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for video calling, web, and group meetings.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is push notifications. We use it as a user and Zoom has the option to control the entire meeting with the push notifications. One person can control the entire meeting, which is quite handy for an organizational meeting.

For personal meetings, the screen-sharing and the quality of the video is great.

The interface is easy to understand, and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

For those who cannot purchase the ID, they have a time limit of 40 minutes. They should consider increasing the time limits for free users.

I am from India, and here we have students who are using Zoom for their college classes or science classes. If they would increase the video times then it would increase their market size. Once they have more time, they can use it more often and could possibly decide to purchase the paid version.

The backgrounds are a bit dull. I would like to see some improvements made to the backgrounds that are available.

We started using the free version of Zoom a year ago, but only just made the official purchase one month ago.

We have been using the Business Zoom in full for the last month.

It's a stable solution. We don't have any issues connecting.

This solution is scalable.

We have 500 employees who are using it. It is being used extensively in our organization right now as everyone is working from remote locations.

In India, the COVID lockdown is increasing every month. The chances are that we will be increasing our account users.

I have not spoken with anyone in the technical support team. We have our own IT department and go directly to them if we have any issues.

Previously we were using Join Me. The interface was poor and we were having many issues during web calls and group meetings. We switched to using Zoom and the experience has been very good.

We have also used Skype, Skype for Business, and some other tools. Zoom is easier.

I have used Hangouts Meet and when you increase users the video quality deteriorates and you will face many issues.

There is a free version available with time limits.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the company budget, this would be a great solution to use. It's user-friendly and the video quality is very good. The bandwidth it requires is good, and you can continue with your meetings without any issues.

Compared to other products on the market, this is a very good solution. There are very few options available that have a good interface that is easy to use and understand with good video calling.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CM
MCT at ParaSoft SRL
Easy to use with an intuitive interface and good scalability

• "The interface is very intuitive. It's very easy to use."
  • "In the free version, you are restricted to just 40-minute meetings, however, it is free, and therefore you can't ask for too much. It's still okay."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to conferencing for meetings. We simply use it for video conferences.

What is most valuable?

I really like its ability to handle large meetings. Zoom has is the capability to support many individuals in one meeting at a time. With Teams, we are limited to 250 users and Zoom allows us to add more people than that to the meeting.

The interface is very intuitive. It's very easy to use.

It's a great tool. The product has great sound and video quality.

The installation process is very simple.

What needs improvement?

I don't use the solution very often. Therefore, I can't speak to dealing with any missing features.

It would be nice if they could add collaboration tools. With Microsoft Teams, for example, you can work directly on a document when you are on a call. It would be nice if you could do something similar on Zoom.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the quality is good.

The solution can scale in the sense that you can add many people to one call. It's better than, for example, Microsoft Teams

I've never dealt with technical support. I haven't had any reason to contact that. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

Our office use is using Microsoft Teams.

Zoom works better for when you need many people in one meeting.

The only reason we use Teams instead of Zoom is we have Microsoft in our business and we have to use it.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. To deploy the solution takes one or two minutes. The package is very small. The software download is 10 or 20 minutes or something like that. It is a very short time.

We don't pay for licenses. When our clients are using Zoom, we must use the free version.

I'm not sure how much the paid version costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a Zoom customer and end-user.

Last week, I updated the solution, and therefore am on the latest version of the product. However, I don't know the exact version number I am now on.

During the pandemic, we really did use Zoom a lot.

It's very easy to use. It is very stable. It has good quality. You can use it with any device. It's a great tool. I've had a great experience with it overall.

I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Sean Maxwell
VMware Senior Client Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
High-level video quality, plenty of features, and highly scalable

• "There are many valuables features of Zoom. The visibility is very good. The ability to see everyone that is talking and the indication spotlight of who the primary speaker is helpful. The solution is interactive, the participants are able to raise their hand, comment, give gestures, such as thumbs up or down."
  • "The solution can improve by having the option to be able to lock the primary speaker on high definition the entire time. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have easy Zoom room-like features for individuals using lightboards. There should be quick invitations and integration with Slack and Outlook."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom as a communication solution. I am an active user of the solution and I use it for approximately six hours a day.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuables features of Zoom. The visibility is very good. The ability to see everyone that is talking and the indication spotlight of who the primary speaker is helpful. The solution is interactive, the participants are able to raise their hand, comment, give gestures, such as thumbs up or down. There is the option to record, the quality of the video is great, the quality of the desktop sharing is clear, easy scheduling, and overall ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by having the option to be able to lock the primary speaker on high definition the entire time. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have easy Zoom room-like features for individuals using lightboards. There should be quick invitations and integration with Slack and Outlook.

In an upcoming release, I would like to have a push-button screen capture of what I am doing. I do not want to record the whole process, but I want a push-button screen capture. For example, if we are doing a PowerPoint or lightboard and I have edited it and I want to capture the change, having a push-button that records it to my laptop would be a large advantage.

I have been using Zoom for approximately two years.

The stability is good but I noticed quality issues for people who are using cell phones. There should be a note somewhere that says landline preferred. It is best to use WiFi rather than mobile data. This is more of a user issue than it is a platform issue.

The solution is highly scalable. We have zoom sessions that include tens of thousands of people.

I have never had an issue with Zoom to have the need to contact the support.

I have used WebEx and Teams previously. The video quality is poor, I cannot do screenshots easily or see what my lightboards are doing. When I am looking at myself on Teams, Teams flips my video around and there is no option for me to do a screen capture on Teams. If I am on a Teams call, I open up Zoom, I flip to Zoom video, I do my screen capture there and then I flip back to Teams for the call. I dislike Teams.

What other advice do I have?

The additions I have suggested are to make an already amazing platform even better. My utilization of Zoom is better than everybody else in my organization as far as how many features are being used. I do training, teachings, and client-facing workshops and I have a lightboard integrated with Zoom, I use it extensively.

I rate Zoom a ten out of ten.

AS
Global Procurement at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, and scalable, with a setup that's easy

• "The solution can scale easily."
  • "The only thing that I can't get to work well is putting one of those little fancy wallpaper picture screens behind me during meetings so that I don't show my house or the room I'm attending from. Everyone is basically working remotely at this point. It would help to just have a neutral professional background for meetings that's easy to add."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for all of our internal and external meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The solution can scale easily.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I can't get to work well is putting one of those little fancy wallpaper picture screens behind me during meetings so that I don't show my house or the room I'm attending from. Everyone is basically working remotely at this point. It would help to just have a neutral professional background for meetings that's easy to add. It might be helpful if there was a tutorial to walk people through the process of adding a background. It would also be great if they offered more recommended backgrounds on hand to choose from.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half.

The solution is largely very stable. I've only seen one little glitch in Zoom and I don't know if it was from something on our network or Zoom's. That slight glitch happened a few weeks ago. It was only a hiccup, but that was it. That's the only one I've seen. Other than that, there aren't crashes or bugs. It's been reliable, mostly.

It's very easy to scale. If we need to expand the solution, we know we will be able to.

Currently, we have at least 2,200 users on Zoom right now. We extensively use the solution on a daily basis. I use it at least five times a day myself.

We have a central IT team that handles any issues we may have. We wouldn't contact Zoom technical support directly as we would go through them.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex at all.

It's been a year and a half, so I can't recall how long the deployment actually took.

You might only need one person to handle the maintenance, and I doubt if they need to work on it full time. It's pretty low-maintenance.

Our own in-house IT team handled the implementation and configuration for us. We didn't need outside contractors or resellers.

We pay a corporate license for the solution. I don't know the exact pricing on the cost to the company.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers of the solution; we don't have a professional business relationship with Zoom.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'm not exactly a technical person, so I am only speaking of my personal non-technical experience.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's been great to use so far.

GG
Founder & Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Ease to use, good performance, and it's compatible with most browsers and devices

• "It is very quick to get a meeting started."
  • "Technical support is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We needed a solution where we could do presentations and have video discussions, and be seamlessly integrated with my Google Calendar. We can have video discussions with customers where we can showcase our solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Zoom allows me to easily set up meetings using my email address contacts, and I don't have to use a third-party console. For example, I had a meeting today with about 55 people and it was easy, with no issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the compatibility with most browsers and multiple devices.

It has decent performance on Android and iOS devices, where people can seamlessly log in to meetings.

It is very quick to get a meeting started.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a local call-in number for India because as it is now, there is no call-in support for participants in India.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

Better integration with our service desk, helpdesk, and product management applications is something that they need to focus on. Ideally, Zoom would be a single app for not just video conferencing but also in-house messaging, in conjunction with the service desk tools, to field requests as we do in Slack.

I have been using Zoom for two years.

In my experience, Zoom has been stable. I have not had an instance where Zoom has crashed. At this point, we are using Zoom once or twice per day.

I am not sure about scalability. I think that there are different plans.

We have a user base of 1,000 but we have not had calls with greater than 80 people at once. With 80 people, it was fine.

The support is something that we are not fully satisfied with, and it can get better.

They need to focus on localized support.

We have used Slack in the past.

The licensing is based on the size of the team.

We evaluated multiple options and found that Zoom is the easiest one to use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that if they are looking for a decent web conferencing system then it works well. However, for anything more than that, one should really look around. The product is positioned for conferencing as opposed to messaging.

Overall, this is a good web conferencing solution but I would like to see messaging capability, localized numbers for India, and localized support as well. I also want to see better integration with business applications.

DO
Enterprise Network Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Easy to use and stable, with a free version available for users

• "The solution offers a free version."
  • "The paid version is quite expensive. There's no middle ground between free and paid."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

The solution offers a free version.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if the solution has areas of improvement just yet. I'm still new to the service.

If there are quality issues, I find that it is usually a bandwidth problem, and not related to Zoom itself.

There's a limit as to how many people you can have on a call. They should open this up a bit to include more, if possible.

It would be helpful if the solution had more features for users to take advantage of.

I've only been using the solution for about three months at this point. It's still rather new to me.

The stability of the solution has been good. I'd say that it's been reliable and extremely consistent. I can't recall experiencing any bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't freeze or crash. It's been great.

I'm not sure how many people are currently using the app at our organization. It's used pretty extensively in the organization, however. I believe there are plans to increase usage in the future.

We've never had to contact technical support, that I'm aware of. They have pretty great online support if users have any questions or need any troubleshooting. There isn't really a need to pick up the phone and call anyone.

I previously used Skype a little bit.

The initial setup was not complex. It was very straightforward. The deployment process was also extremely fast.

We don't need anyone to maintain the solution. There isn't someone in the company that's tasked with "making sure it works". It's pretty low-maintenance in that sense.

I didn't need a consultant or reseller to help me install the product. I handled the implementation myself.

There's a free version and there's an expensive paid version. There needs to be something in between. Something in the middle could have more people using the product.

What other advice do I have?

We use the latest version of the solution. I don't use the solution too much; I just use it if I have to for meetings.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a good product. For quick meetings or for sharing information, it's fantastic.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.