Kyoko Mori
Director at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The Whiteboard feature enables meetings in which everyone can join to type, draw, and write

• "Whiteboard is a good feature for having a meeting in which everyone can join to type or draw, and write. If we have a brainstorming-type meeting, we can share our own ideas with the whiteboard."
  • "They should improve the sharing file features from accessing the internal network. If we cannnot share our documents through this meeting, our meeting productivity will decrease dramatically. We need these features."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom for our internal meetings and meetings with customers. We also use this platform for our training programs. For internal meetings, we use it through our internal network. For the training, we use the public network. Since we have the COVID-19 situation, we cannot have a meeting or training face to face, so we select this platform instead of Skype for Business which lacks features we expected and has a slow network. Mostly, our meeting size might be 3 to 20, and the training might be 10 to more than 100 people.

How has it helped my organization?

Showing our faces helps this COVID-19 circumstance to feel that we are not alone and we can easily access and communicate with each other. We do not have a limitation for our communication. We can communicte with each other anywhere and anythime. However, we have a security issue and cannot use some of the features from our company network. One example is that we cannot share the internal use only files because the file sharing feature through our network cannot use it. That made us choose another platform.

What is most valuable?

Whiteboard is a good feature for having a meeting in which everyone can join to type or draw, and write. If we have a brainstorming-type meeting, we can share our own ideas with the whiteboard.

Breakout room helps us to set the group discussion during the training. Before this platform, we have to design the multi-network to achieve this situation.

Icon status chat helps if the participants have any questions or any comments the facilitator can see through the features. These features are important because the facilitator cannot see their face directly so we cannot see their expression and never know whether they understand what the facilitator says.

What needs improvement?

Security is the biggest concern issue right now, otherwise, we cannot use this platform in our organization. That situation will affect our meeting and training infrastructure. Our use is not only communication but also sharing useful documents and ideas.

They should improve the sharing file features from accessing the internal network. If we cannnot share our documents through this meeting, our meeting productivity will decrease dramatically. We need these features.

We need features like a dashboard type for the whiteboard. After moving to the breakout room, they can write or create some outputs on the whiteboard. However, after moving back to the main room, they cannot share the outputs. If it is a text, we might paste and copy but it is not user-friendly.

I have been using Zoom for one month.

We are considering some of them like WebEx, MS Teams because it solves our issues.

The use case and size will matter to the organization.

Hybrid Cloud
Chandra Cipta
Senior Manager at Mitrais
Stable and easy to implement with great video conferencing capabilities

• "The ability to make video calls is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "I can't think of any features that are lacking."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution daily for meetings.

Basically, our office just uses it when we need to have a meeting or have a call with a client or even a colleague in the company as well. Due to COVID, everyone is currently working from home, so we really do use it a lot.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make video calls is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The solution fulfills our needs at this time. I can't think of any features that are lacking.

I've been using the solution probably for about two years now.

The solution is very stable. The solution itself is very simple. It doesn't have bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash and affect meetings.

The solution can scale well.

Right now, we have about 500 people in-house using the solution. Right now, everyone is using it int eh company, so I don't know if we can actually increase usage.

We haven't had any issues with the solution so far, so we haven't had to contact them at all. I can't speak to the quality of their service.

We're a Microsoft partner and therefore do use a lot of their products.

We did use another conference software before Zoom, however, I don't remember the name of it, and as I recall it wasn't very stable. OUr connection would often drop. The application couldn't handle the acceptance of our firewall very well and kept having problems.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It was all very straightforward. It's quite easy.

Deployment is dead simple We just buy the license and start sending invites to meetings. There isn't any strategy needed to get started.

You only need one person for deployment and maintenance.

We are support integrators ourselves, so we are quite capable of handling any deployment in house. We don't need the help of resellers or consultants.

I have no idea how much we pay to use the service.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not the one who send out the invite or minutes the application itself. I simply just use it for meetings for Zoom.

It's a software solution, so every time we use it, we're using the most up to date version available.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's an excellent product.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ajesh Kumar P.T.
Specialist at CSS Corp
MSP
Simple to use, and many people can join meetings without degrading performance. I prefer it over Skype for Business.

• "Compared to any other platform, Zoom has been very stable for meetings and conference calls."
  • "I would like to see support for transferring files."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom for internal meetings.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability. Compared to any other platform, Zoom has been very stable for meetings and conference calls.

Zoom can be used for video calls where you are sharing the screens and giving control to the other participants, which is something that I really like about it.

This tool is not complicated and simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for transferring files. Sometimes we discuss things in a meeting and once the meeting ends, I would like to be able to consult my electronic notes and then send a file later on. This happens when I am not in the office when a meeting takes place and I would like to send a file to one or more of the participants later on in the day.

If the web conference is a training session then it would be helpful if the instructor could send materials to the other participants in the meeting.

I have been using Zoom for almost a year.

The stability is great. As we scale up in terms of meeting size, it keeps its reliability.

We have not had very large meetings yet, but with respect to scalability, our meetings with between 10 and 20 people have been great. There were no issues and everyone was able to speak.

We have not had to contact technical support. Also, I have seen a lot of training links sent out from Zoom to help people learn how to use it. I don't think that there should be many issues on the technical side.

I have used other products but the stability and reliability of Zoom keep it on top of them.

Skype for Business is one solution that I have used, and I would say that Zoom is far superior to it. Specifically, when it comes to reliability, but also ease of use and scalability. I don't know if Skype for Business breaks at a certain point, but the quality of calls is reduced as more participants join the meeting. In fact, from what I can tell, meeting quality is generally lesser in Skype for Business. Screen sharing is also more convenient in Zoom.

In the basic version, there is a 40-minute time limit on group meetings. This is something that I like and I don't think that it should change.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Enoch Damtse
Bachelor of Science - BSField Of StudyMechanical Engineering at University of Energy and Natural Resources
Grid-view, selective muting, and audio-only options have helped continue work when we can't meet in person

• "The grid view option is great, as you get to see everyone who is in the video conference at the same time."
  • "I would like to see something like a virtual board or conference room where participants are seated around a virtual table, and pictures of them sitting on the chair or an avatar that the user can choose and control within that virtual world."

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use the software for lectures and it has been really helpful. I use it for group studies, assignments, and business meetings.

My team and I had to finish a project within that period and since we couldn't meet, we usually collaborated on Zoom. We met with ourselves and sometimes with our supervisor and we were able to finish the project days before the lockdown was lifted. We were happy that we were able to achieve this goal, as it was very difficult for others.

How has it helped my organization?

Since the lockdown began and my partners and I were not able to step out for business meetings, Zoom came in handy and we were able to accomplish many feats within that period. These included project management, project completion, and project counseling.

Now, we don't have to go out and meet unless it cannot be avoided. With the inception of Zoom, we are able to collaborate anytime, anywhere, any day. We are able to achieve just as much as we would have if we were meeting and sometimes we are able to get a lot more done.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature that you can select a particular member and see them on the full screen.

Video conferencing is great but Zoom has been on a different level. I like that feature that gives the host permission to mute everyone except themselves, and then unmute them anytime they need someone to talk

In order to save bandwidth, the feature of turning off video has been really great. We can switch them to audio-only when the video is not necessary.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see something like a virtual board or conference room where participants are seated around a virtual table, and pictures of them sitting on the chair or an avatar that the user can choose and control within that virtual world. This would allow the participants to somehow move around, talk to others privately just like you'd meet someone at the office, or talk to colleagues before a conference or board meeting starts.

Being able to edit Google Docs in Zoom would be helpful. For example, co-editing a file with a colleague using Zoom would be nice.

I've started using zoom since the first pandemic was initiated and I've been using it ever since.

AB
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to use, cost-effective, and is highly available to everybody

• "The biggest advantage with Zoom, compared to other similar products, is the simplicity."
  • "We would like to have the ability to connect people using phone numbers so that non-Zoom users can join conversations."

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using Zoom for web-based training. I'm providing it as part of my job or instead, learning myself. Right now, I am taking Excel training.

What is most valuable?

There are a large number of users because it is very accessible to people in organizations. Other similar products are sometimes blocked but so far, we have not had any firewall-related issues with Zoom.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have the ability to connect people using phone numbers so that non-Zoom users can join conversations. For example, on my side, I can be using Zoom but on the other side, the person is using their phone.

Integration with Microsoft products such as Outlook would be great.

I began using Zoom within the past three or four months.

Zoom is very stable.

The scalability seems pretty good and we haven't faced any issues. We have had training seminars with more than 60 participants and everybody was successful. Nobody reported any technical issues.

I have not faced any technical issues and have not had to contact support.

Our main tools for internal communication at the company are Microsoft Teams and Skype. Zoom is mainly used for training sessions and does not have as many users. I am not aware of any plan to increase our usage of it.

The popularity of Zoom is the primary reason that we switch to using it for training sessions. It is accessible by everybody because it's a free tool.

The initial setup is straightforward. I received a link to join a meeting, the software downloaded, and everything was fine. There was nothing special and I didn't have any problems.

We have a few people who are responsible for maintenance.

Zoom can be used for free.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Zoom is that it's a great tool, I don't have any complaints, and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RS
Owner at Sabath Supply Chain Consultants, Inc.
A great format for connecting visually to clients and for sharing graphics

• "The ability to share graphics and visuals."
  • "Occasional system overload that requires a restart."

What is our primary use case?

I generally use Zoom for meetings when presenting to potential customers. It's a good way of being able to present information. I own the company and I'm a customer of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

It's great that I can see people when I'm talking to them, it's really important to have that feature and to connect to clients. I also like the ability to share graphics; the ability to go through a PowerPoint presentation or share other visuals is very important. Beyond that, I know there are lots of other capabilities that we haven't used very much.

What needs improvement?

There are sometimes too many parallel meetings going on and the system gets overloaded, somebody drops out or we have to start over again. That's something that could be improved.

I'd like to see 100% reliability in the solution. I also find that the controls are a little awkward, but that's a minor point. It's really the consistency and the reliability that are the big issues.

I've been using this product for a year.

It's a stable solution most of the time, but I think it's dependent on the number of users at a given time. Too many users and you can have some issues.

In general, the solution is scalable although there are occasionally issues when meetings are conducted in parallel and we might lose a connection.

I've made one or two calls to customer support and shared emails with them so it's been quite limited. I got a reasonable response, they were pretty decent.

What other advice do I have?

I think the main thing I would suggest is to get some kind of assurance that there won't be overload problems. I believe one of my clients has some kind of arrangement or package with them and we've never had a problem on any Zoom meeting with this client.

I find that I can have more meetings and greater effect using Zoom. I've had many live meetings and conference calls over the years. It's difficult to connect with clients on a conference call. Zoom makes meetings as effective as a live meeting or close to it.

I'd rate this solution an eight out of 10.

PV
Consultant at Commercial Metals Company
Easy to implement and use, but there are active concerns with respect to security

• "Zoom is easy to use and makes it easy to communicate with people remotely in meetings."
  • "The inclusion of some more advanced security features would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I manage our team that provides solutions to our clients.

We use Zoom to conduct virtual meetings. We use it to communicate internally, as well as with our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is teleconferencing. This tool is good enough for employees who want to be able to work at home.

Zoom is easy to use and makes it easy to communicate with people remotely in meetings.

What needs improvement?

The quality of this solution is depending on the internet connection, and as such, can sometimes be unstable.

There are some security issues with Zoom, which is something that needs to be resolved. The inclusion of some more advanced security features would be an improvement.

We have been using Zoom for about one year.

Given that all of the employees are working from home, we use this solution every day for teleconferencing. The only issue we have had with instability is due to our internet connections.

This solution is very scalable. The entire company is using Zoom, although our meetings generally have less than 30 people.

We have been able to resolve our own problems without assistance from the vendor. It is very easy to use.

We use multiple solutions for virtual meetings and conferences including Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Webex. For meeting with enterprise clients, we generally use Microsoft Teams. When it comes to meeting with the public, we more often use Zoom.

The initial setup is very easy.

Our in-house team implemented Zoom for our use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is that it can be used for non-critical information. However, due to active security concerns, at least in the short-term, meetings that contain critical or private information should be conducted on another platform.

In terms of how I would rate this product, I would score the quality of audio and video at about seven out of ten. Security-wise, however, I am worried about it.

Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

STEVEN JAMAL
Enterprise Engineer at Computech Limited
An extremely significant time saver for our employees

• "It allows for both support and communication at the same time."
  • "When sharing a screen, it's only dedicated to one particular window, not multiple windows"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our engineers who spend some of their time working remotely. For now we have four people in the company using the solution but we're in the process of encouraging use of the solution for our customers who need support so they will no longer need to go to customer sites. The main reason is that when it gets to the level of engineering, we need to dedicate a particular team to do the remote support and they need to work on something which can be used easily at any time. I'm an enterprise engineer and we're a customer of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature of Zoom is that it's easy to setup and is very user friendly. It allows for both support and communication at the same time.

What needs improvement?

The only limitation is that when you're sharing your screen, it's only dedicated to one particular window, not multiple windows, as opposed to Teamviewer where you can have the entire environment and access the laptop rather than sharing a window.

I've used the solution for 18 months.

I find it more stable than other products such as AnyDesk or Teamviewer.

It's a scalable solution.

I haven't needed technical support because it was easy for me to navigate through and find what I was looking for. It is self-explanatory. If you want a meeting, you look for a meeting. If you want support, you go for support and it's open, transparent.

Initial setup is very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to create an awareness of the product and its uses to customers because most customers over here don't understand what Zoom is. This is not only for meetings but for our technical support. It saves us so much time not having to travel great distances.

It's straightforward and very easy to implement. It doesn't need any dedicated process to install or to configure. All you need is just an email account or a Facebook account and you're good to go.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.