JM
Senior Client Executive at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, simple document sharing, but more channel building features needed

• "The solution is easy to use and loads up documents for sharing."
  • "There was a situation not long ago when there were some security fears. Some users had somebody else take control of their calls. They might have addressed these issues now, but the security needs to continue to be upgraded."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom internally and externally in our organization for communicating with associates or with clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Zoom has benefited our company because it is easy to set up and for clients to use. When we are doing presentations or discussions at various levels of sales it is a good tool.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and loads up documents for sharing.

What needs improvement?

There are certain ways you can build channels for clients and opportunities in Teams that would be a benefit to add to Zoom. I have been using Teams more than Zoom because it has a lot more capabilities for sales and communication, building, and working with the team.

I have been using Zoom for approximately one year.

The stability is good. I do not remember Zoom having any glitches, or time-out issues, it always seemed consistent.

The solution is highly scalable. We extensively use Zoom, we have approximately 24,000 employees in my organization and many, if not all, have used Zoom.

I use Teams and Zoom in my company.

The setup of the solution is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom a seven out of ten.

TB
Public Sector Cloud Services Account Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
I'm pretty satisfied with the user interface

• "I've never had to use tech support for it. It just works."
  • "My company uses the Zoom security setting that requires the host to admit users. The host often forgets to do that, so you sometimes have a lot of people sitting out there. It would be nice if Zoom made it obvious that somebody is in the waiting room."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my organization uses Zoom. I'm in sales and everyone in this department uses it. Tech and sales use a combination of Zoom and Teams. Occasionally, we might use something like a Cisco WebEx when the customer requires it. For example, we deal with federal government clients and intelligence agencies, and they have strict requirements for communications security.

What is most valuable?

I'm pretty satisfied with Zoom's user interface.

What needs improvement?

My company uses the Zoom security setting that requires the host to admit users. The host often forgets to do that, so you sometimes have a lot of people sitting out there. It would be nice if Zoom made it obvious that somebody is in the waiting room. Also, Zoom could add the ability to have multiple users share screens.

I've been using Zoom for at least two years.

Zoom does seem to use a fair amount of resources on your system. If you have other apps open, the audio can get really choppy sometimes if you try to do something else, like send an email. I did not notice this until just recently, so I don't know if this is something Zoom changed or if my system needs to be updated.

I've never had to use tech support for it. It just works.

Before we started using Zoom, we were using WebEx. Quite honestly, I think the reason the company switched was purely political.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PG
Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It's free, but it could be more reliable

• "The most valuable feature is that it's free."
  • "Zoom's audio quality could be improved. I feel like Teams is more reliable because sometimes the audio is patchy on Zoom, whereas I've never had a problem with Teams."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for virtual meetings. I have Zoom for personal use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's free.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Zoom for two years.

Zoom doesn't seem very stable. I have experienced patchy audio quality during calls.

I only use Zoom for personal purposes.

I have never contacted technical support.

I also use Microsoft Teams for meetings because my company pays for the subscription. Teams is more reliable and stable than Zoom.

The installation just takes a few clicks and you're done. I have an IT background, but it doesn't make a difference. It's very easy.

I installed Zoom myself.

Zoom is free. If I had to pay for a subscription, I would just use Teams instead.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom an eight out of ten. If you're implementing it for personal use, then I recommend Zoom, but if you want to implement a solution for business purposes, I would go for Teams.

YaganadenNaicken
Senior Information Technology System Engineer at State Informatics Limited
Stable, good quality, and the remote desktop control feature is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is the remote desktop because sometimes we have to intervene and control the client's infrastructure."
  • "I would like to be able to have multiple users open and collaborate on a document at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

Some of our clients use Zoom for video conferencing, so we use it to have meetings with them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the remote desktop because sometimes we have to intervene and control the client's infrastructure. The remote features all us to do this.

The conference call meeting is a good feature.

I get quick access and the performance is good.

The quality is good and video meetings are very clear.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Zoom for two years.

Zoom is a stable solution, which is why we're using it.

This solution is scalable.

I would rate the technical support an eight or nine out of ten.

Most of the time, we use Microsoft Teams for our meetings. Our choice of video conferencing or virtual meeting software depends on what the client is using.

With some of the other products that we have used, we have experienced poor quality and lost connections. I don't think that it is related to our network because when I switch to Zoom, it works fine.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Zoom is a good product and I recommend that people use it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

JC
Analytic Architect at Analytic Design Labs
Product has been a life saver during the pandemic

• "I've been using Zoom since the pandemic started. It's actually been a life saving product under the circumstances that were thrust on everybody."
  • "The virtual background could be more smoothly integrated with the rest of the software."

What needs improvement?

It would be great if during presentations participants could go back and look at, for example, PowerPoint slides being presented. This can only be done now by the person sharing the presentation and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that, but if, instead of just displaying the current screen, the system software could make the PowerPoint deck available. That would be useful to individuals that may need clarification on something and would prevent avoidable questions.

The virtual background could be more smoothly integrated with the rest of the software. I don't want to distract people with the clutter in my office, so I pull the screen down and put up the virtual background, so that I have a clean interface, and they can talk to me without being distracted by what's going on in my office. But, when people don't do that, it's distracting to see what's behind them. Getting that better integrated into the program, so that it's a first class citizen and not an appendage that's been glued on, would be a really nice thing.

People should be warned that the virtual backgrounds work much better with a green screen. If you don't have a green screen, virtual backgrounds are really distracting because pieces of people appear and disappear.

I've been using Zoom since the pandemic started. It's actually been a life saving product under the circumstances that were thrust on everybody.

I have used other products like Microsoft Teams and Webex by Cisco.

SR
Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Simple to use and very stable

• "When there is a large number of people involved, I can pinpoint a particular person and I can message him in Zoom, rather than messaging everybody involved. I can directly communicate with that person and I find that feature very useful."
  • "I would like to see them develop end-to-end encryption, like WhatsApp. That would improve the security of the software."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom to connect with other business units.

What is most valuable?

When there is a large number of people involved, I can pinpoint a particular person and I can message him in Zoom, rather than messaging everybody involved. I can directly communicate with that person and I find that feature very useful.

What needs improvement?

Also, suppose ten people are participating and talking. I can only see four people at a time. So the number of video frames could be better.

Finally, file sharing and formation of groups in this software would be a real improvement.

We have been using this solution for nearly a year.

It's working well. I haven't found any stability issues. On average, I use it twice a week.

There are no issues with the scalability. In our organization there are at least 500 to 1,000 people who use the solution.

It was very easy.

With Skype for teams I can form groups and I can share multiple files and have online being shared. I don't find those features in Zoom. Zoom is more for teleconferencing.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone can use it. It's very handy.

Private Cloud
Muhammad Navaid Zafar Ansari
Assistant Manager of Information Security at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for virtual meetings, but the security and privacy aspects need to be improved

• "The most valuable feature is video conferencing."
  • "Zoom is an immature product that is not yet stable."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Zoom for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is video conferencing.

What needs improvement?

The security needs to be enhanced. A third-party security audit needs to be completed, and the privacy clauses in their contracts need to be changed.

Zoom is an immature product that is not yet stable.

We have only been using Zoom for a short time.

Zoom is not a stable product. Rather, it is an immature product.

This solution can be scalable but I have not used it for a huge audience so I am not sure.

We are also using Skype for Business for our virtual meetings. Because of issues that we have discovered in Zoom, we have limited our usage of it in the company.

The reason we are using Zoom is that Skype for Business is not installed on all of our employee accounts. In the future, we will only be using Skype for Business.

Zoom is available with an open license that can support meetings of up to 40 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

This solution works for video conferencing but it needs improvement in terms of privacy and security.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

CA
Enterprise Security Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Supports multiple connections, allows you to change the background, and works on multiple devices

• "You can have multiple connections so that everybody can interact. You can change your background. If you're in your home and you don't want people to know what it looks like, you can pretty much change the background to any background that you want."
  • "They can make it easier to use and more intuitive. Ease of use is always a key for selling a product."

What is most valuable?

You can have multiple connections so that everybody can interact. You can change your background. If you're in your home and you don't want people to know what it looks like, you can pretty much change the background to any background that you want.

It is pretty reliable. It works on multiple devices. It works on your phone and on your computer.

What needs improvement?

They can make it easier to use and more intuitive. Ease of use is always a key for selling a product.

I started using it during the pandemic.

For the most part, it has been stable. I never really had any issues with it crashing, having to call in twice, or anything like that. It is pretty reliable.

I've experienced larger meetings, and it works fairly well. We had a meeting with more than 50 people on it, and that was pretty impressive. It may have been the enterprise version. I guess enterprises have licenses to do certain things. I don't really know for a fact, but that would be my guess.

You just download it and go. When you're on your device, you just download the client, and then you attend the meetings.

What other advice do I have?

Just from my perspective about it, I would give it a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.