Zyxel Unified Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway is #9 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. IT Central Station users give Zyxel Unified Security Gateway an average rating of 6 out of 10. Zyxel Unified Security Gateway is most commonly compared to pfSense:Zyxel Unified Security Gateway vs pfSense. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 47% of all views.
What is Zyxel Unified Security Gateway?

ZyWALL USG Series delivers high-access quality to help businesses satisfy the demand for always-online communications. For internal deployments, the ZyWALL USG Series provides active-passive High-Availability (HA) service to support device or connection failover.

With Device HA Pro service, the ZyWALL USG Series also supports instant failover, so connections are always maintained when a failover event occurs. For external deployments, the ZyWALL USG Series features multi- WAN load balancing/failover and a comprehensive mobile broadband USB modem support list for WAN backup operations. The ZyWALL USG Series also supports IPSec load balancing and failover, providing additional resilience for mission-critical VPN failover with VTI Interface deployments.

ZyWALL USG110/210/310 thoroughly protects networks with industry-leading firewall, Anti-Malware/ Virus, Anti-Spam, Content Filtering, IDP, and Application Patrol functionality. Regulate unauthorized use of Web applications over your network, such as Facebook, Google apps, and Netflix, among others. Zyxel security measures are enhanced with SSL Inspection, blocking threats hidden in SSL-encrypted connections while facilitating deeper policy enforcement. Furthermore, newly improved Content Filtering 2.0 enhances HTTPS Domain Filter, Browser SafeSearch, and Geo IP Blocking for an array of security enhancements to ensure clean Web connections.

Download the Unified Threat Management (UTM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Zyxel Unified Security Gateway pricing:
  • "This gateway is pretty cheap."

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway Reviews

MD
System Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Low cost but unresponsive technical support and very unstable performance

• "The solution can scale well."
  • "Sometimes it reboots when you least expect it, and that's the main issue."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall and a router. We use it for freelancing.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for freelance and routing, as we don't have a separate router.

It's usable for me, for my purposes.

There are some filtering options such as peer-to-peer blocking and things like that.

The solution can scale well.

The cost is very low.

What needs improvement?

I have never seen it in any company that I've worked with before, and I would advise other companies not to buy it.

The device is really awful It doesn't work well. It is unreliable. They tried to put something professional on a market, however, it's anything but.

Technical support is unhelpful and does not resolve issues quickly (or at all).

From the WiFi access points, the performance is really bad from Zyxel. We have about 26 WiFi access points and still, it does not work as expected.

I need a next-gen firewall next time. I want to be able to do something about malware, et cetera, and that's not the case at this moment. It's a traditional firewall. It doesn't do that.

Sometimes it reboots when you least expect it, and that's the main issue.

When you go on the internet, and you read about it, you'll find more people with the same problems you are having, and they do not get resolved by the company.

The stability is unreliable and the performance is bad. I would not say that the solution works very well in general.

The scalability is good. We bought extra licenses for more access points that are quite easily put in for some extra storage for logging. That was not that difficult to do. It's easy to expand.

The support was really bad. I've had support from them and it took me over three months to get one thing resolved. In fact, it was not resolved in the end. The experience was really bad.

You try to call them, you try to reach out and send them emails, and they don't respond.

The initial setup has a moderate level of difficulty. You need to have so much knowledge, however, that's true with every firewall.

We have a yearly licensing agreement with the company.

The licenses are okay. The costs are pretty low.

What other advice do I have?

We are a software company. We build software. We do not sell the product.

We are using the latest, most up-to-date version of the solution.

I would steer other potential users away from this product. I will never advise this product to anyone. I have never seen it also in a company. I'd rather suggest a company choose another brand.

I'd rate the solution at a three out of ten. I really have not had a good experience with the product.

AA
IT Manager / Project Coordinator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
A robust appliance that is reasonably priced and straightforward to set up

• "This is a capable appliance and the standard features work well for us."
  • "Although manageable, the user interface is a little bit slow and could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as a gateway for our users to access the internet.

What is most valuable?

This is a capable appliance and the standard features work well for us.

What needs improvement?

Although manageable, the user interface is a little bit slow and could be improved. There are two user interface options available, namely the basic and the advanced. The basic UI is not very good and doesn't have a lot of features, although it is fast. The advanced UI allows me to do whatever I want, but this is where the issue of speed exists.

At one of our sites, the CPU utilization was very high, and for no reason.

Technical support needs to be more responsive to requests.

We have been using the Zyxel Unified Security Gateway for at least five years.

This solution is pretty solid, other than the instance where we had experienced abnormally high CPU utilization.

We have not had to scale or expand, so I haven't put any thought into its scalability. As we add more offices, we will increase usage.

I do not have a lot of experience with technical support. On one occasion, I submitted a request about a problem that a user was having and I never received a response.

I have not used another similar solution.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. I can just use my configuration templates and apply them the way I want. The deployment takes less than a day.

We have two IT people who maintain our gateway.

This gateway is pretty cheap.

We did not compare other products before this one was chosen.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution, but anything can be improved. To summarize, I would say that it's not the greatest but it's pretty cheap, and it's got basic functions that we can use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.