Please share with the community what you think needs improvement with Ekahau Site Survey.
What are its weaknesses? What would you like to see changed in a future version?
The inability to add or relocate AP's to existing survey data during the planning phase is a major problem for me. If you relocate an AP, the heatmaps (data) remain unchanged, since it has no no predictive ability. Adding an AP also completely ignores the existing data and displays as if there are no attenuating structures and the AP is sitting in isolation. The only solution is to remain on (or revisit) site and keep redeploying and surveying, which can be problematic if the client changes requirements before the final deployment.
I find the power button hard to access with just one hand. It really needs one hand to hold the device while the other pushes the button. It would also be improved if other mounting options besides the strap were available. Also, the strap should be easy release.
The coverage patterns / strengths built into the inventory of APs in Ekahau is overly optimistic or too generous. This is not the fault of Ekahau - it is the fault of the various vendors that produce the antenna patterns they use. We tested several models of Cisco and Ubiquiti devices in open areas and found that reality versus the Ekahau predictive values were different. In reality, they did not cover as far and as strong as Ekahau’s inventory would suggest. Again - not the fault of Ekahau. This is an issue with the data being supplied to them by the various vendors. This can lead to a bad design when using a predictive survey. Our testing was conducted on an open field with no major source of RF interference in the area. The product is still very valuable when used by someone with enough experience in the field to know when something doesn't seem right. Someone that can make adjustments to the design based on reality.