I have been tasked to take the lead in exploring alternatives to a client's (higher education organization) IT service management platform.
Here are a few questions to get started:
- Which software are you using and how do you find the software? Is it easy to use and customizable? If so, how can we customize it?
- What software did you use before the one you are currently using and did it offer a way to import existing tickets from your old system to your current one?
- What about/How does licensing costs/work? As educational institutions face financial pressures, what are the costs and flexible options for payment?
- Is your software on-premise and cloud/hosted/SaAS models?
- Are you using any other of their modules/product offerings? If so, which ones?
- What is it about the software that you like? What is it that you dislike?
- What is it that you like about their company and support? What is it that you dislike?
- Does your software have asset management (desktop, mobile, app and network), a solutions wiki? a help/chat ticketing system? etc.
- Has anybody used Cherwell? ServiceNow? FrontRange? BMC Track-IT?
Any other feedback, advice, or insights that you can share would be greatly appreciated.