DP
Tool Administrator at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Provides a customizable workflow but is only supported on Internet Explorer

• "Defect management is very good."
  • "Only Internet Explorer is supported. That is a big problem. They don't support Chrome and Firefox and so on."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for test management purposes. For sorting set cases, testing for possible defects, executions, and so on.

What is most valuable?

Defect management is very good. It's not a lightweight solution, you can do a lot of customization with respect to the workflow. It also definitely supports the waterfall model.

What needs improvement?

Only Internet Explorer is supported. That is a big problem. They don't support Chrome and Firefox and so on.

The browser limitation is the biggest problem —  nobody wants to use IE in this world.

The browser issue is a big deal because it doesn't work on Mac. That's a game-changer, but now, I assume they have come up with a giant tool, ALM Octane.

It would be great if they brought the waterfall model with ALM Octane, or created a new interface as such.

I have been using ALM for roughly 10 years.

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center is a very stable solution.

The technology itself is a little outdated — previous generation technology. Patching and other things can be a little difficult.

It's also very scalable.

Regarding technical support, one word comes to mind: terrible.

I don't expect everybody to know everything, but there have been instances when I had to tell them the answer and they'll tell it back to me; however, of course, there are some knowledgeable people working there too. Sometimes it's very good, sometimes it's very bad — there is no in-between.

The initial setup was a little complex. For example, compared to installing Oracle applications, ALM is straightforward and easy.

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center is very expensive. Personally, I think that it's too expensive, but I don't have another tool to compare it to.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who supports the waterfall model, this is a great tool. I would not say that it's not a good tool. It is a great tool for managing processes and tests. It's very stable, but you will see some glitches here and there — that's inevitable.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give ALM a rating of seven.

FK
Executive Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Does not integrate with DevOps tools, support needs improvement, and it does not scale well but it's stable

• "Micro Focus ALM Quality Center is quite stable."
  • "It is not a scalable solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is underutilized at the moment because we use this solution for tracking the test scenarios, test results, and defects.

We are looking at integrating a tool that can provide integrations with the other DevOps tools.

What needs improvement?

At this time, we don't feel that this solution has any value. We are communicating with Micro Focus to address this commission where we feel that it has more value added to it.

The integration needs improvement. It is not integrated with the rest of the ecosystem. It's a stand-alone tool right now used for testing and defects. We are considering and testing Octane because it seems to have more integration with the DevOps ecosystem.

I started using this solution when it was Test Director. This was before it was upgraded to Micro Focus ALM Quality Center.

I have been using it for the last 10 years.

We are not working with the latest version. Rather than upgrade to the latest version, we are considering moving to Octane.

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center is quite stable.

It is not a scalable solution. I am not satisfied with the scalability of this product.

We have less than 50 concurrent users.

This is a product acquired from HPE. Before this, we were not satisfied with technical support. Micro Focus seems to be trying to improve their support quality, but we haven't seen it yet.

It doesn't take a long time to install this solution.

It's a perpetual license.

We are reviewing other solutions and looking to upgrade to Octane. We are currently, in the testing phases with Octane.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Micro Focus ALM Quality Center a four out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus ALM Quality Center. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Caroline Gitonga
Presales Consultant at Oracle
One of the biggest pluses is having all your test assets in one place, however the project tracking is a bit complex

What is our primary use case?

Consolidate the testing process, centralised reporting, ease of analytics on metrics, easier bug management, consistent flow of requirements, flow of test cases, reusable test cases, testing history, bugs.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization as a result of several factors: All test assets are in one central location; Easier to track progress of QA activities; Easier reporting; Easier to assess quality

What is most valuable?

Requirements Management, Test Plan, Test Lab, Defect Management, Sprinter, Access control, Versioning and audit.

What needs improvement?

The project tracking is a bit complex. It takes some time to maneuver around it. It would also help if you could export some of the reports generated from it e.g. the Master Plan.

More than five years.

Can be used for really large organisations, multiple test projects

Very responsive, though we haven't needed a lot of support.

Technical Support has been helpful.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Vendor. The team was very qualified, both technically and from a user perspective.

We haven't yet computed the ROI.

Original cost was $158,000. Our day-to-day cost is difficult to compute, but it’s very low.

Yes, IBM - CLM.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product for managing an end-to-end lifecycle process. It’s easy to use once you get the hang of it. One of the biggest pluses is having all your test assets in one place – requirements, models, test cases, test results, bugs, reporting, tracking (it’s unbeatable in my opinion).

It's also great that HP has now lowered the Saas cost for ALM - it was too high in my view.

EZ
Test Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Could be used effectively but it is difficult to use

• "The tools could be useful if we were utilizing them more effectively"
  • "If they could improve their BPT business components that would be good"

What is our primary use case?

We planned on using the solution for defect testing but it was a low priority for us, we never got around to it.

How has it helped my organization?

So far in the way we use the product, it has slowed down our process.

What is most valuable?

I have not thought about it. Though, I think the tools might be effective if we could utilize them better.

What needs improvement?

The tools could be useful if we were utilizing them more effectively. There is not a standard way of using the tools and I think that if there was, we would benefit. The tools are also too complex.

If they could improve their BPT business components that would be good to include in the next release. The current one does not seem complete. It is not really user friendly and it is difficult to handle test speeds. Even though the product supports a range of configurations they are difficult to set up and we preferred a different configuration.

I have been using ALM Quality Center for 1 year.

I think the only issue we were getting was with the memory. Our database was getting bigger and bigger so we need to increase the memory for the database to alleviate the issue.

In regard to scalability, I think it is scalable. In our team, we have more than 100, as for the other teams, I am not sure.

The tools might be good but the way we were utilized them was not effective. People have different ways to use the tools and we did not have a standard or conventional way. It would have been more beneficial if everybody followed a set of standards. Making the tools less complex would be better.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus ALM Quality Center a five out of ten.

Download our free Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.