KO
Senior NOC Security Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
MSP
Implementation and upgrading difficult but operates well

• "Once the solution is installed and configured correctly it does not require a lot of hands-on attention until you need upgrading."
  • "There are many different controls that are needed to be put into place for upgrading that makes it difficult. Having to re-engineer your IT infrastructure to match their software, as opposed to having it integrate and work independently causes difficulties. When there is an update to any software everyone has to be involved."

What is our primary use case?

My clients are using this solution for security as their frontline defense. They are using a whitelist that has all known software allowed.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are many different controls that are needed to be put into place for upgrading that makes it difficult. Having to re-engineer your IT infrastructure to match their software, as opposed to having it integrate and work independently causes difficulties. When there is an update to any software everyone has to be involved.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The solution has been working well, nothing stands out as an issue.

I have found this solution to be highly scalable. We have clients that are large-size companies using this solution.

The technical support was great when we used them.

I rate the technical support of Carbon Black CB Defense a nine out of ten.

The solutions provider has made great strides in the last four years making it easier to implement. However, the way their architecture is makes it difficult, the installation is quite a cumbersome process to integrate everything together.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is it not easy and it takes time and money.

I rate Carbon Black CB Defense a five out of ten.

Private Cloud
SS
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good reporting and very scalable

• "I like its reporting."
  • "Its compatibility can be improved. It did crash a server during deployment, which is not something that I want to happen. Its deployment should also be easier. The whole deployment cycle needs to be simplified. It is an enterprise solution, and to set it up right now, you have to be an expert."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP, and we deployed this solution for a banking client. We use it to help us defend against advanced persistent threats.

What is most valuable?

I like its reporting.

What needs improvement?

Its compatibility can be improved. It did crash a server during deployment, which is not something that I want to happen.

Its deployment should also be easier. The whole deployment cycle needs to be simplified. It is an enterprise solution, and to set it up right now, you have to be an expert.

I have been working with Carbon Black CB Defense for six months.

After the initial system crash, I haven't had any issues.

It will be very scalable.

I haven't contacted them.

The initial setup was complex because we needed to set up a server, deploy it to the server, and push it up from there. We had the on-premises server setup. Its cloud version may be easier.

It took one week to fully deploy it. The strategy was just to rip and replace the solution that we had before.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that it won't cause problems with your servers. Whenever possible, it is good to fully test a product before deploying it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It needs better ease of use and deployment.

Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kostia Tkachov
IT Security Solutions Engineer at Softprom
Good threat analysis, stable, and the technical support is good

• "The threat analysis functionality is good."
  • "I would like to see improvements made so that we can better see all of the processes."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor for Carbon Black and CB Defense is one of the products that we work with and demo for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

With the Carbon Black endpoint Agent, we have automated the process of isolating the host when a threat appears on it.

What is most valuable?

Using Open API, we were able to freely perform the necessary integration with our other security solutions.
CB Defense allows us to see our whole process as it starts on our endpoint.

The threat analysis functionality is good.

What needs improvement?

To improve the ability to connect also feeds of third resources (communities).

We have been using this product for more one year.

CB Defense is a stable solution. I do not remember any situations where there are any problems with sensors or endpoints. Just all information about the processes at the endpoint is collected and sent to the Cloud.

This is a scalable product.

The technical support is good and we always get answers to all our questions and necessary recommendations for using the Carbon Black Defense.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good product.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

MP
Information Security Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to install, stable, with good historical features and integration

• "I like the historical features, interface, and integration."
  • "The feature set for the firewall needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Carbon Black CB Defense for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

I like the historical features, interface, and integration.

What needs improvement?

The feature set for the firewall needs improvement.

I am looking forward to learning more about the integration with VMware at the hypervisor layer.

I dealt with Carbon Black CB Defense approximately seven years ago, but have recently dealt with them again in the last six months.

At this stage, we have not experienced any issues.

We have not raised the case at this point with technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We are still deploying this solution but it will probably take four to six weeks.

It's reasonable in price. We got a good price.

We were looking at either keeping our Symantec Endpoint, and evaluating Trend Micro, and CrowdStrike.

We chose Carbon Black because of Its integration, features, and usability.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Carbon Black CB Defense for anyone who is interested in implementing this solution.

I would rate Carbon Black CB Defense and eight out of ten.

AU
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and easy to set up, but needs better application control and automatic updates of the agents

What is our primary use case?

We manage service providers. We provide this solution to other clients and companies that need it, and we are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

The application control can be improved. It should also have an automatic update of the agents.

I have been using this solution for six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

Technical support is very effective. I am satisfied with them.

The initial setup is easy. It is not something difficult.

What

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is stable and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

Technical support is very effective. I am satisfied with them.

The initial setup is easy. It is not something difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are going to keep providing this product.

I would rate Carbon Black CB Defense a six out of ten.

Download our free Carbon Black CB Defense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.