WilliamMugobogobo
Head of ICT Infrastructure and Security at City of Harare
Stable and reliable, requiring very little support

• "The features that are most valuable within the firewall are the IPS as well as the Unified Communications. We also really like the dynamic grouping."
  • "An area for improvement is the graphical user interface. That is something that is coming up now. They could make the product more user-friendly. A better GUI is something that would make life much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for intrusion prevention and in our VPN that is connected to our head office. It provides protection and security and node clustering. It gives us all the security features that we need within our environment.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable within the firewall are the IPS as well as the Unified Communications. We also really like the dynamic grouping.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement is the graphical user interface. That is something that is coming up now. They could make the product more user-friendly. A better GUI is something that would make life much easier. Traditionally, Cisco products have been command-line-based.

The Cisco ASA Firewall has been in our environment for the past seven years.

The product is very stable. We've not had any challenges with it in all this time. It performs very well.

We have 2,000 users who connect through this product. We are planning to increase use as we go, toward the end of the year.

The technical support has been excellent. When there have been any issues, they've always been there for us.

The initial configurations were straightforward, not complex at all. It took us just two days to finalize things.

We did most of the setup in-house, but we also had assistance from our partner.

We pay annually and there are no costs in addition to the standard fees.

When you compare Cisco ASA Firewall with Sophos, they are more or less the same in terms of functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco ASA Firewall is very stable and very reliable. It requires very minimal support, once you configure it and put it in your environment. You don't need to attend to faults or issues. Once you install it and plug it in, it is good to go.

We have been using the ASA Firewall for a long time, and it is an advanced product for our current use. In terms of improvement, there's not much that can be done to it. It is a solid product, very effective, and it does its job well.

ON
Network & Systems Administrator at T-Systems
Good user interface and easy to configure but needs better integration capabilities.

• "The management aspect of the product is very straightforward."
  • "It would be nice if you didn't have to configure using a command-line interface. It's a bit technical that way."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for configuring the firewall.

What is most valuable?

It's an almost perfect solution.

The configuration is very easy.

The management aspect of the product is very straightforward.

The solution offers very good protection.

The user interface itself is very nice and quite intuitive.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution offered more integration capabilities with other vendors. For example, if you had a web security appliance, it would be great to be able to integrate everything in order to better report security events.

While I can't think of specific features I'd like improved, overall, they could do more to continue to refine the solution.

We first started using the solution in 2015. It's been five years at this point.

The solution is very stable. We've found it to be extremely reliable. There are not bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale well. that's not a problem at all. If a company needs to expand it to fit their needs, they can do so.

We've been in contact with technical support on multiple occasions and each time we've had a good experience. We're satisfied with their level of support. They are fairly good.

I have nothing bad to say about the deployment. It went pretty well, and we can configure everything as we need to.

I don't really handle the billing, so I'm unsure of the pricing. I work more on the technical side.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

It's a very good solution. I'd recommend it to other users.

Overall, I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Although I can't speak to the pricing, I've found the solution works quite well for us. I'd rate it higher if it could integrate a bit better with other solutions.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco ASA Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JL
Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Accurate CLI, knowledgeable support team, valuable features

• "To be honest, all of the features that are provided, all the other vendor will also have. One feature we did find valuable was the CLI, it is more accurate. Additionally, I was happy with the customization, dashboards, access lists and interface."
  • "It is hard to collaborate with our filtered environment."

What is our primary use case?

We utilize the solution for our IT security.

What is most valuable?

To be honest, all of the features that are provided, all the other vendor will also have. One feature we did find valuable was the CLI, it is more accurate. Additionally, I was happy with the customization, dashboards, access lists and interface.

We frequently use the Bottleneck feature we purchased specialized from Cisco.

What needs improvement?

It is hard to collaborate with our filtered environment.

If Cisco could combine the Bottleneck feature of ASA, their platform called Umbrella, and the other team they have that has similar malware protection into one, this would be perfect.

I have been using the solution for almost three years.

The solution is stable. However, It does have some bugs, but Cisco always fixes them really quickly. Sometimes we have to restart and it would be better if the bugs could be fixed without having to reload.

The scalability is not perfect.

The support has been great and responsive. Most of their engineers are very professional and knowledgeable.

The setup is easy to do if you are familiar with these type of installs, if not then it could be difficult.

We have a perpetual license for all of our firewalls. For some of the features, we purchase them on demand. The pricing is decent but it could always be cheaper, we would be happier.

We will probably change to a higher version in the near future or migrate to a next-generation firewall which would include IPI and some other new features. This makes sense because our current firewall ends the support in several years.

Cisco FirePower, the next-generation firewall, is much better for stability.

What other advice do I have?

I have used many versions of the software over the years, versions 8.6 to 9.1 and 9.9 to 9.12.

Keep in mind before purchasing the solution, if you do need to scale the solution then ASA is probably not right for you.

I rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

Stoyan Zhekov
General Manager at MS Solutions Ltd.
Secure, stable, user-friendly, and the partner support is good

• "The most valuable feature is that it's secure."
  • "In the future, I would like to be able to use an IP phone over a VPN connection."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the ASA in our network to create a VPN between six places. We also use it for servers and data synchronization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's secure.

It is really stable and I've never had an occasion that due to this firewall, I have had issues with the network, a breakdown, or otherwise.

This is a user-friendly product. Once you have a specialist who can configure it properly, you'll be pretty protected everything you want is in it.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Cisco ASA Firewall for at least seven years.

The stability is good.

We have not tried to scale our network. It was established a long time ago and nothing has changed since then.

I have been auditing their partners in Bulgaria and I am in contact with them on a regular basis. I have not had any real issues with my equipment but overall, I think that the support is perfect.

We were using the ASA 5505 and our network is faster now, so we are now in the process of upgrading our network to the 5506 model. The 5505 is a 100 megabit product, which is very low.

We had a company that set everything up for us. They have Cisco engineers and I'm paying them annually for next-business-day support. They do all of the maintenance for us.

They have a lot of different models but most of them are really expensive. This is the main thing because, for us, the price is important.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with this product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

RO
CEO at a security firm with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Has solid encryption and the stability is good

• "The most valuable feature is that the encryption is solid."
  • "It is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to have as VPN hardware. I have 2,000 providers. I am a reseller and as such, I am connected to telcos. I use ASA because our providers use Cisco in their core network as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a situation where our network was down and the telecom providers at Cisco support helped us to resolve those issues. The downtime was brought down to a minimum.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the encryption is solid.

I have been using Cisco ASA for thirteen years.

What I use now is sufficient based on the traffic that we are generating. We won't have to expand.

We have two providers for ASA. There is only one administrator. We have about 1.2 million connections going through one ASA per month.

Their technical support is very good.

I didn't previously use a different solution. We used Cisco and then we upgraded to ASA.

The initial setup was straightforward. To set up the VPN we are able to set up the feature key networks that are going to talk to each other. We can set up what access is going to be used. The connection was set up in one or two days.

We set it up twice. The first time it took four hours and the second time took ten hours spread out over two days.

I have seen ROI. We use ASA because our provider uses it and they have support. The provider initiates the support with Cisco. The support is good. The license for the support is expensive.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. If you have the money, it's a very stable product. Make sure to keep critical spare parts. You might have for instance some modules that will need acceleration cards and those types of things.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

YT
Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible, high quality, and provides good security

• "It's a flexible solution and is well-known in the community."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the VPN and UTM features included."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to filter network traffic.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution and is well-known in the community. Most professionals are familiar with Cisco products and we prefer to work with products that we know. That is why we chose to work with Cisco firewalls, and also for the quality.

What needs improvement?

In the next year, we are planning to migrate to the Cisco Firepower. Our planned product would be Cisco Firepower 20 or the 40 series.

In the next release, I would like to see the VPN and UTM features included.

I have been using the Cisco ASA Firewall for the past ten years.

We have a few different versions that we are using. Some are 5505, 5510, and 5515.

It's stable. We have not had any issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution. We have five or six users in our organization.

We have not contacted technical support because we have not had any issues.

Previously, we did not use any other solutions. Our company is almost 11 years old and have been using this solution for ten years. We have been using this solution from the beginning.

I have not been present for most of the deployments, but from my experience, the deployment is not complex for organizations like ours because we have less equipment and infrastructure.

In Ethiopia, most of the deployments, especially in government organizations, are on-premises because of government policy.

Our policies are limited and not complex.

Overall, I would say that it's pretty straightforward. While I was not a part of the deployment and had to guess, I would say it may have taken a week to deploy.

We require a team of four or five to maintain this solution.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MM
Lead Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A recommended firewall solution that is straightforward, stable, and reliable

• "We are mostly using it for remote access, so the remote access feature is the most valuable, but all other features are also needed and required. It is also a very straightforward and reliable solution."
  • "We don't have any serious problems. The firewall models that we have are quite legacy, and they have slower performance. We are currently investigating the possibility of migrating to next-generation firewalls."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for remote access. We also use this firewall between different segments of our enterprise network.

We have legacy models of this solution. We are using models 5510 and 5520.

What is most valuable?

We are mostly using it for remote access, so the remote access feature is the most valuable, but all other features are also needed and required. It is also a very straightforward and reliable solution.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any serious problems. The firewall models that we have are quite legacy, and they have slower performance. We are currently investigating the possibility of migrating to next-generation firewalls.

We have been using Cisco ASA Firewall for around one hour and a half years.

It is quite stable. We didn't have any issues or crashes, so we find it to be a solid solution.

We don't have Cisco support because these models are excellent.

It has moderate complexity. I didn't have any prior experience in configuring these firewalls. That's why I found its initial setup to be of moderate complexity, but now, I have got used to using and maintaining these devices.

We're using the smart license for this firewall. The models that we have require licensing for remote access.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. It is a very straightforward and reliable solution. I would definitely like to propose and offer this solution to other colleagues.

Cisco doesn't have any plans to develop this kind of solution more. Cisco ASA Firewall will not be developed in the future. The next-generation firewall is the next step in the development of the Cisco firewall. For this reason, we are investigating the possibility of migrating to another product.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall a nine out of ten. We are very happy with this solution. It is very straightforward and reliable, but it is quite a legacy solution and lacks performance.

VG
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A proactive threat defense solution with a good Inline Mode configuration

• "The Inline Mode configuration works really well, and ASA works very impressively."
  • "I think the ASA layer is thin. It's always Layer 3 or Layer 4 source controller and doesn't control the Layer 7 traffic. It's important, and you'll need an additional firewall."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for VPNs, remote-access VPNs, environment issues, and failover issues. I also use the
content mode, NAT, and PAT in this firewall. We always use ASA for VPN sites and firewall sites. We use the edge for internet access for data center servers or company customers' internet access.

How has it helped my organization?

We always use ASA for integration another companies  and branches easily.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think the ASA layer is thin. It's always Layer 3 or Layer 4 source controller and doesn't control the Layer 7 traffic at all. It's important, and you'll need an additional firewall.

All next-generation firewalls don't have much control over Layer 7, but there's a little bit of control for inspection. ASA never controlled Layer 7, and it's a bad point.

I don't like to use ASDM, a graphical interface, and other solutions for ASA. I wouldn't say I like this, and it's not good(ASDM).

I have over seven years of experience with Cisco ASA Firewall.

It's stable. ASA works very well, and it's impressive. I use only ASA and only the Inline Mode.

It's a scalable, high availability solution. It's an active/standby model for VPN. But if you don't use VPN in these devices, it works as an active/active high availability model.

If you're a Cisco Administrator or Cisco certified, the initial setup isn't a problem. But if you don't know Cisco devices and how they work, it can get a little complicated.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise new users to look at next-generation firewalls like FTD or other models from Cisco. It's better than Cisco ASA. Cisco ASA Firewall isn't a next-generation firewall.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco ASA Firewall an eight.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Cisco ASA Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.