reviewer1360617
Sr. Security Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Featured Review
Gave us much higher quality dynamic scanning with very few false positives and a robust static scanning solution

• "Veracode's cloud-based approach, coupled with the appliance that lets us use Veracode to scan internal-only web applications, has provided a seamless, always-up-to-date application security scanning solution."
  • "One feature I would like would be more selectivity in email alerts. While I like getting these, I would like to be able to be more granular in which ones I receive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Dynamic Application Security Testing (DAST), Static Application Security Testing (SAST), and Static Component Analysis (SCA). We use different types of scanning across numerous applications. We also use Greenlight IDE integration. We are scanning external web applications, internal web applications, and mobile applications with various types/combinations of scanning. We use this both to improve our application security as well as achieve compliance with various compliance bodies that require code scanning.

How has it helped my organization?

Our Veracode license includes a "people component" that allows developers to request an in-person session to be scheduled to review a defect. This has helped our application security personnel pool to free up time for other pursuits. I'm not sure if this is included in all licenses or is an add-on.

What is most valuable?

Being cloud-based is a huge plus. All of our scans are always using up-to-date scan signatures and rules, and there is nothing for us to maintain.  Veracode has been spot-on with notifying about planned downtimes for maintenance and upgrades.  In my years of using the product, unplanned downtimes have been minimal (in fact I can't remember one.)

The API integration that allows integration with other tools, such as defect trackers and automated build tools, is also a benefit. We also like the integrated, available "in-person" support sessions to review and ask questions on discovered defects.

What needs improvement?

We've had one occasion where a sub-product upgrade required action on our part faster than we initially understood it needed to happen.  This ended up being relatively minor.

Separately, I find the results console somewhat confusing.  When you are running multiple scan types for the same application, I've sometimes found it difficult to sort out where issues came from when I need that information.

We have been using Veracode for over four years.

Our solution is highly stable with minimal downtimes.  (In fact I don't recall the last time there was an unplanned Veracode cloud outage that impacted us.)  We previously had occasional issues with the scan appliance model, but the relatively recent switch to the ISM model has been much more stable.

Given that is is cloud based, coupled with their newer app-based internal scan model, we are pleased with the scalability and have not experienced any issues with scale.

As mentioned in prior comments, Veracode is simply put our best vendor in terms of relationship, value-add, and customer service/technical support. We get responsive answers from support, and their support resources clearly understand the product, and issues are resolved quickly.

Yes. We used a legacy, heavyweight dynamic scanning product. It would produce hundreds of pages of (mostly) false positives that were nearly impossible to digest and tune. We also didn't have a static scanning product. Moving to Veracode gave us much higher quality dynamic scanning with very few false positives (in part due to their model of human-assisted tuning, provided by them) and a robust static scanning solution.

The setup was easy and straight forward. We had some issues with API calls from our build automation tools, but this was related to networking issues in reaching the Veracode servers on the Internet, not the Veracode product itself.

We implemented with all in-house resources.

We achieve greatly improved security, earlier detection of security defects in the lifecycle, and as well as neatly meeting compliance requirements.

For the value we get out of it, coupled with the live defect review sessions, we find it an effective value for the money. We are a larger organization.

Checkmarx and SonarQube.

What other advice do I have?

Of all the tools vendors I have relationships with, Veracode is simply our best vendor in terms of partnership, value add, and support responsiveness.

RL
Security Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective at preventing vulnerable code from going into production, but static analysis is prone to false positives

• "The policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations is pretty comprehensive, especially around PCI. If you do the static analysis, the dynamic analysis, and then a manual penetration test, it aggregates all of these results into one report. And then they create a PCI-specific report around it which helps to illustrate how the application adheres to different standards."
  • "The static analysis is prone to a lot of false positives. But that's how it is with most static analysis tools... Also, the static analysis can sometimes take a little while. The time that it takes to do a scan should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to scan our web applications before we publish them to see if there are any security vulnerabilities. We use it for static analysis and dynamic analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

Veracode has helped immensely with developer security training and in building developer security skills. Before we implemented it, we would find a lot more vulnerabilities in our applications. Now, with Veracode, the developers have started doing a lot more secure coding and they have much better coding practices.

It has also helped our organization to review code quicker, about 50 percent quicker, and to deploy more secure code.

And when it comes to the solution's ability to prevent vulnerable code from going into production, so far, I haven't seen any instances in which we've had false negatives. So it's pretty effective at that.

What is most valuable?

Among the most valuable features are the ability to

• submit the software and get automated scan results from it
  • collaborate with developers through the portal while looking at the code
  • create compliance reports.

Otherwise, we would have to do working sessions with developers and pull together all the different findings and then probably manage it in a separate mechanism like Excel. And to have to go through source code manually would be quite time intensive and tedious.

The solution also provides you with some guidance as well as best practices around how vulnerabilities should be fixed. It points you in that direction and gives the developers educational cues.

In addition, the policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations is pretty comprehensive, especially around PCI. If you do the static analysis, the dynamic analysis, and then a manual penetration test, it aggregates all of these results into one report. And then they create a PCI-specific report around it which helps to illustrate how the application adheres to different standards.

The solution also integrates with developer tools such as Visual Studio and Eclipse.

What needs improvement?

It's pretty efficient, but sometimes the static analysis is prone to a lot of false positives. But that's how it is with most static analysis tools. In some cases, they might have other mechanisms which would deal with a particular vulnerability, but it wouldn't be captured in the code. I would estimate the false positive rate at about 20 percent.

Upon review, the developers understand the solution. But when they get the initial list of findings, it can be a bit daunting to them if it's not managed appropriately.

Also, the static analysis can sometimes take a little while. The time that it takes to do a scan should be improved. There are times when we need a quick turnaround but it will take a little while. We might have something scanning and not get a result until the following day. It's not too critical, but it does increase the delay. Most of the time, when developers submit their code, because of the way that we use it, it's because in their minds they're ready to have that code deployed into production. But the security testing, especially with the feedback, introduces additional time into the project, especially if a security fix is needed.

I have been using Veracode for about two years.

There have been no issues with the stability. We haven't had any outages or any unavailability of the system, so far.

We have about 40 developers but we use this product per project rather than per developer. All our projects will pass through this product. At any given time we have about 10 to 12 projects going on. Outside of developers, it's just the five security team members who also use Veracode.

Any increase of usage will be based on the business and if there are more software projects. Whenever there are additional software projects, we will then increase our usage.

Their technical support is good, but we haven't really had to use it much, so far.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward but, depending on the type of applications or the types of code that you're using, the setup requirements may be a little different. It takes a little getting used to, based on the environment in which you're working.

For example, for Visual studio, it might have specific requirements that are needed to package an application for scanning, whereas an Angular application would have different requirements. For me, as a non-developer, the issue would be around understanding those different requirements for each development environment.

Our deployment didn't take long; it took a couple of days. There were three people involved in, including a developer, someone setting it up, and a code reviewer. By "setting it up" I mean putting in the applications, saying what the application does—providing the business rules of the application.

We didn't have a specific strategy for deploying it. The software is pretty straightforward, once you have the application bundles to be scanned. There's not a whole lot to do after the packaging.

Maintenance-wise, it doesn't take much because it's SaaS. We don't really do much on our end.

We did it in-house with Veracode. Working with Veracode for the deployment was pretty easy, pretty straightforward.

We've seen ROI in that we've cut down on the number of penetration tests we've been doing by about 50 percent, and also because of the stage at which the vulnerabilities are found, before they get into production. That means the risk has also been reduced.

It has reduced the cost of application security for our organization, but more than it has reduced the cost, it provides better software assurance.

In addition to the standard licensing fees there's a support cost and an implementation cost at the beginning.

This year I looked at other vendors in the market, including Synopsys, Contrast, and Checkmarx. What I didn't like about them is that their licensing models are based on how many developers you have. That wasn't a good fit for me. In addition, Checkmarx didn't have a SaaS solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are doing pipeline-based implementation, it would be more complex than the way that I'm doing this, but I didn't see any real challenges that would be tool-specific or vendor-specific, with implementation.

Your development model will really determine what the best fit is for you in terms of licensing, because of the project-based licensing. If you do a few projects, that's more attractive. If you have a large number of developers, that would also make the product a little more attractive. But if you have maybe one or two developers doing many projects, then you might look more towards software that has a developer-centric model.

We don't use the Static Analysis Pipeline Scan because of the build process that our  developers use. They don't really have an automated build pipeline in which they push the code to production. Also, with the false positive rate, it's a bit tricky when you implement that into the pipeline, as it might stop a developer from pushing code out to test. We use it more like a gate. The developers submit the code to us and then we scan it and review it with them.

The biggest lesson I've learned from using Veracode is that you need to manage it with the developers, so that you speak through the findings with them. It's not just a tool that you throw down their throats.

Overall, I would rate it at seven out of 10. Ideally, I would prefer a product that had the interactive testing, as well as the ability to scan a little faster.

AS
DevSecOps Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
By using Pipeline Scan, which supports synchronous scans, our code is secure

• "There are quite a few features that are very reliable, like the newly launched Veracode Pipelines Scan, which is pretty awesome. It supports the synchronous pipeline pretty well. We been using it out of the Jira plugin, and that is fantastic."
  • "Sometimes, I get feedback from a developer saying, "They are scanning a Python code, but getting feedback around Java code." While the remediation and guidelines are there, improvement is still required, e.g., you won't get the exact guidelines, but you can get some sort of a high-level insights."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Veracode SAST solution to scan the Java, Node.js, and Python microservices as part of our CI/CD pipeline, wherein we are using our CI/CD server as Bamboo, Jenkins, and GitLab CI/CD.

We have teams for both our cloud pipeline and on-prem pipeline, and both teams use this solution. We are using Veracode to constantly run the internal application source code and ensure the code's security hygiene.

How has it helped my organization?

Before, the pentesting was happening at later part of the SDLC. Now, we have been getting early feedback about insights from Veracode, including traction around the application security aspects. Developers keep coming to us and asking the questions. Vericode has built a bridge between the development and security teams, which is something really helpful in an organization.

Veracode has helped us build security training in our clients' organizations.

The solution’s policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations is very helpful. We use Veracode to scan for vulnerabilities. This help us comply with regulatory standards for the European region. While the policy scanning takes time, it is very good from a compliance point of view.

What is most valuable?

There are quite a few features that are very reliable, like the newly launched Veracode Pipelines Scan, which is pretty awesome. It supports the synchronous pipeline pretty well. We been using it out of the Jira plugin, and that is fantastic.

We are using the Veracode APIs to build the Splunk dashboards, which is something very nice, as we are able to showcase the application security hygiene to our stakeholders and leadership.

We have been using Veracode Greenlight for the IDE scanning.

Veracode has good documentation, integrations, and tools, so it has been a very good solution.

Veracode is pretty good about providing recommendations, remedies, and guidelines on issues that are occurring.

It is an excellent solution. It finds a good number of the securities used, providing good coverage across the languages that we require at our client site.

We have been using the solution’s Static Analysis Pipeline Scan, which is excellent. When we started, it took more time because we were doing asynchronous scans. However, in the last six months, Veracode has come with the Pipeline Scan, which supports synchronous scans. It has been helping us out a lot. Now, we don't worry when the pentesting report comes in. By using Veracode, the code is secure, and there are no issues that will stop the release later on in the SDLC.

The speed of the Pipeline Scan is very nice. It takes less than 10 minutes. This is very good, because our policy scans used to take hours.

Veracode is good in terms of giving feedback.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see fewer false positives.

Sometimes, I get feedback from a developer saying, "They are scanning a Python code, but getting feedback around Java code." While the remediation and guidelines are there, improvement is still required, e.g., you won't get the exact guidelines, but you can get some sort of a high-level insights.

Veracode has a little bit of noise. Sometimes you will get a lot of issues, which you just need to triage. While the solution is excellent, it does come with a little bit of noise.

We have been using the solution for a year and a half.

The stability is good, except every month it needs maintenance. So far, we haven't had an outage during UK working hours, e.g., where we are unable access the platform. There were some issues out-of-the-box, but now it's pretty much fine.

More than 100 people are using the Veracode solution in our organization. Mostly, the guys who use Veracode are developers, QA engineers, product owners, Scrum Masters, and some data scientists.

We have a three-person team of security guys who maintain the entire service. The security guys have automation skills and can write the code. We are one squad in a company out of 21 squads. We are a security who helps other development teams with Veracode as part of their DevSecOps.

We have adapted Veracode across three line of our client's business. In the future, we may expand Veracode into more lines of business.

The technical support sometimes takes 48 hours to get back to us. Some of the support staff are not that great. There is no extra support on Slack channel nor is there a chat. Instead, we just have to wait for an email. They gave us a mobile number, which sometimes doesn't work. Then, if it does, it takes time. The technical support is something that needs to be improved.

Veracode's application security team is very helpful. If we are not getting the answers that we need, this team will come and assist us. For example, we had a call with their application security team who helped us determine best practices. They are good and very professional.

Their account team is helpful and knowledgeable.

We use the solution’s support for cloud-native applications, like AWS Lambda. We have a cloud pipeline, where some of our microservices functions are getting developed there. Less than five of our squad use this service.

Because of my consulting background, I have used other solutions prior to the use of Veracode. However, Veracode was the first solution implemented of its type. Before Veracode, developers didn't know how they could develop secure software. After Veracode was implemented, developers knew when they wrote code that they could scan it in their IDEs. Also, while pushing a deployment, they can get feedback from the Pipeline Scan.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took us three months to deploy the entire solution across all the squad at our site via Pipeline Scan as well as have the squads adopt it. If you are familiar with security, you can be up and running with the solution in a week's time.

Our implementation strategy was to give the Greenlight ID plugin to all the developers and enable the microservices. Then, we wanted to let the non-human account use the new unlimited account and all the source code. This has helped us in last year and a half, as we have over 150 microservices being scanned by the Veracode platform.

Customer support was amazing during the evaluation phase.

The ROI seems good so far. The client is happy with what they invested in Veracode. Having our developers now think about security is also helping us out.

The solution has reduced the cost of AppSec a little bit for our organization through the automation of pentesting.

We have seen a 30 percent reduction in pentesting. Using Veracode, we can do faster releases.

Veracode's price is high. I would like them to better optimize their pricing.

Veracode's price is a little higher than other tools. However, they are the market leader.

Micro Focus Fortify doesn't have good APIs. Instead, they are relying on CLI. Whereas, Veracode is more API and DevSecOps friendly. Veracode's scanning time is better than Fortify's.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent solution. I would recommend adopting it. If you come from a security background, Veracode is an easy solution. If you don't come from a security background, the adoption of Veracode will take a bit of time.

Veracode has been integrated with our IDEs. It has been also integrated with our DevOps CI/CD server, which is Bamboo, Jenkins, or GitLab CI/CD. It is all pretty neat and clean.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Veracode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YT
R&D Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
All-encompassing tool that scans for vulnerabilities and security breaches

• "Veracode provides guidance for fixing vulnerabilities. It enables developers to write secure code from the start by pointing them to the problematic line of code, and saying, "This function/method has security vulnerabilities," then suggests alternatives to fix it. Then, we adopt their suggestions of the tool. By implementing it in the right way, we can fix the issue. For example, if the tool has found a method where it copied one piece of memory into another piece of memory in the code. The tool points to problematic methods with the vulnerability and provides ways to code it more securely. By adopting their suggestions, we are fixing this vulnerability."
  • "We tried to create an automatic scanning process for Veracode and integrate it into our billing process, but it was easier to adopt it to repositories based on GIT. Until now, our source control repository was Azure DevOps Server (Microsoft TFS) to managing our resources. This was not something that they supported. It took us some sessions together before we successfully implemented it."

What is our primary use case?

We focus on these two use cases:

1. Our first use case is for Static Analysis (SAST). The purpose of it is to scan our code for any vulnerabilities and security breaches. Then, we get some other reports from the tool, pointing us to the problematic line of code, showing us what is the vulnerability, and giving us suggestions on how to fix or mitigate them.
  2. The second use case is for the Software Composition Analysis (SCA) tool, which is scanning our open sources and third-party libraries that we consumed. They scan and check on the internal database (or whatever depository tool it is using), then they return back a report saying our open sources, the versions, and what are the exposures of using those versions. For any vulnerability, it suggests the minimum upgrades to do in order to move to another more secure version.

How has it helped my organization?

Veracode provides guidance for fixing vulnerabilities. It enables developers to write secure code from the start by pointing them to the problematic line of code, and saying, "This function/method has security vulnerabilities," then suggests alternatives to fix it. Then, we adopt their suggestions of the tool. By implementing it in the right way, we can fix the issue. For example, if the tool has found a method where it copied one piece of memory into another piece of memory in the code. The tool points to problematic methods with the vulnerability and provides ways to code it more securely.  By adopting their suggestions, we are fixing this vulnerability.

Once you run the tool and realize that it is not secure to use a certain method or function, then you fix it. Next time that you want to add new code, you don't want to repeat that mistake. So, you're already adopting the original suggestion, then writing more security code.

If we continued to scan and fix issues, which is an ongoing battle because every day as there are new vulnerabilities, we are on the safe side.

What is most valuable?

It is faster to adopt and use because it's a SaaS software. As a service tool, we didn't have to deal with any installation emails. We also didn't have to download packages, upgrade, or maintain their on-prem machine, which is usually the case for on-prem solutions. This is a critical point that we needed to consider when adopting the right tool. So, SaaS was a deal breaker for us.

I don't have any complaints about the policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations. It is good and a mandatory part of our process.

What needs improvement?

We tried to create an automatic scanning process for Veracode and integrate it into our billing process, but it was easier to adopt it to repositories based on GIT. Until now, our source control repository was Azure DevOps Server (Microsoft TFS) to managing our resources. This was not something that they supported. It took us some sessions together before we successfully implemented it.

About six months.

The technical support was good. Even with the time zones changes, they took the examples that we provided about how our call works and investigated them. When they didn't get an answer initially, they contacted someone else to assist. Overall, our experience was good.

The turnaround time and response times are good. We always got a response, even if they said, "It will take a while, as we are still investigating." One day after always, we always got a response, even if it was, "We need time to investigate."

I would differentiate between the initial response time for our needs and the resolution time for the issue. The representative themselves respond pretty quickly to our needs. We exchange phone calls with them or email, and they responded quickly. Some of the issues that we experienced were due to our specific code languages and packages that didn't work smoothly with the tool. For those, the representative had to approach the Veracode R&D team. It took more time to involve R&D, but we eventually got a resolution from them after a few days.

To get into the solution, it took some tries to understand the structure of our repository and the code that we were using to write dependencies, etc. So, it took a bit of time, but then in the end, the solution was easy to connect.

It took about a month until we completed integration of Veracode tools into our own systems. Eventually, the tools needs to scan our code that resides on our machines in our on-prem environment. The integration of Veracode on the cloud with the on-prem repository and our processes took time. We worked with the Israeli representative of Veracode to help us. However, it was about a month overall until we stabilize it.

An Israeli sales representative for Veracode came to our office and worked very closely with us. They escorted us through the process of doing the PoC, examining the results and tools, and how to use them. We found it straightforward. There were some hiccups and some problems in the beginning, but not something significant in the general overview. It was easy and fast to adopt.

Our customers demand that we provide secure software. Veracode is giving us the mandate of claiming that our code is more secure because we are using an external third-party, neutral tool to examine our code and expose vulnerabilities. By fixing them, Veracode takes some of the responsibility, which is kind of a diploma that we can wave when we are negotiating with our customers.

We compared it with other tools as part of our proof of concept to adopt the right tool. Eventually, we selected Veracode because the tool provided us the easiest, fastest solution for our two use cases.

When we did the PoC to compare it with other tools, before we decided to adopt Veracode, one of the benefits that we saw is its reports are more focused on real issues. Other scanning tools that we tried, they produced much bigger reports with hundreds of vulnerabilities. That is too many vulnerabilities, so you cannot manage them nor decide where to focus. Using Veracode helps us focus where we need to.

We have used a Checkmarx tool, which is a competitor of Veracode. We have also examined Micro Focus Fortify and some other monitoring tools, which gave us a partial solution, had only static code analysis, or had only the open sources for composition part. We wanted one tool which does everything; we found Veracode all-encompassing.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is efficient when creating secure software. Though, it depends on how you adopt the tool and how frequently you're running it. As long as you keep it as part of your routine and frequently run the tool, you will catch vulnerabilities closer to real-time. Eventually, you will improve the security of your software.

We haven't seen a lot of false positives. However, the tool points us to vulnerabilities to fix, which because of our behavior or software, we don't necessarily need to fix because we have other protections.

We are not using it for cloud software. Our solution is only on-prem.

I would rate this solution as an eight out of 10.

DM
IT Cybersecurity Analyst at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Has helped build developer security skills and made them more aware of things they should look for

• "One of the features they have is Software Composition Analysis. When organizations use third-party, open source libraries with their application development, because they're open source they quite often have a lot of bugs. There are always patches coming out for those open source applications. You really have to stay on your toes and keep up with any third-party libraries that might be integrated into your application. Veracode's Software Composition Analysis scans those libraries and we find that very valuable."
  • "If Veracode was more diversified, as far as the number of platforms and the number of applications it could do in our favor, we would be using it even more. But there are a number of platforms it doesn't support. For example, I know they support C+, .NET, and Java, but there are certain platforms they don't support and that was disappointing."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to scan our biggest applications, our bread and butter. We've got a lot of developers using it in our organization, and we've got quite a few applications using it as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped with developer security training and has helped build developer security skills. It has definitely opened their eyes and made them more aware of things they should look for. I try to get my developers to go to the Veracode seminars if there are new things to learn or if Veracode has made an improvement or they're going to announce something new. They have participated in those quite often, a few every month.

What is most valuable?

We like their Dynamic Analysis as well. They changed the engine of the Dynamic Analysis and it does a better job. It scans better.

We use the solution’s Static Analysis Pipeline Scan. It's really good for assessing security flaws in the pipeline. Sometimes my developers have a hard time understanding the results, but those are only certain, known developers in my organization. I typically direct them to support, especially if I cannot answer the question, because I have full confidence in that process.

The speed of the static scan is good. Our bread and butter application, which is our largest application, is bulky, and it's taking four hours. That's our baseline to compare the Static Analysis Pipeline and its efficiency. If that's only taking four hours, I have no doubt about our other applications and the solution's static analysis efficiency.

The solution’s policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations is really good as well. We're a state agency and we always look to be NIST compliant. We're always looking at the OWASP and CWE-IDs, and Veracode does a really good job there. I've used it often in trying to get my point across to the developers, telling them how bad a vulnerability might be or how vulnerable the application is, based on a vulnerability we may be finding.

What needs improvement?

They have a pretty unique process to get guidance. It's not like you send them an email. You could do that, but if you want to set up a consultation call, you have to go to the website and give them a certain amount of detail so that they can study the problem and the detail and be ready to meet with you. It's not as simple as doing an email. You have to go to their website and you have to click on the "consultation" button and pick a time to talk with an engineer. Sometimes an engineer is not available for quite a while. You have to wait at least a couple of days before you can meet. Having to wait for two days is not that efficient. You should be able to set it up within 24 hours.

And regarding announcements from Veracode, I've tried to get them to let my developers know directly, and I'm not sure if that's happening. I want to tell Veracode to make sure that happens. I don't want them to send an announcement to me and then I have to disseminate that information to my developers. I want it to go directly to them. They've got the developers' names and emails in their database so those announcements should go directly to them.

I believe the company got Veracode at the end of 2012. However, my association with Veracode has only been since about the end of 2014. So we had it for a couple of years before I got my hands on it and then I gradually started to use it and implement it to the point where it's at right now. Early 2016 is when I began administering it. I do other tasks, so it's not my full-time job. Veracode is just one of many hats that I wear. Nobody else administers it with me in our company.

Veracode support is really good. I get a lot of help from them. I've been on a few calls with my developers and they're very competent engineers. If they don't have the answers, they'll get back to you.

I feel that management would not approve it if we were not getting our money's worth out of it. We have definitely seen ROI from Veracode.

Going forward, though, what may bring that into question is our transition to the cloud. We're not getting any benefit from those applications in the cloud. I think that should be addressed sooner rather than later.  We're moving to the cloud more, and for our applications in the cloud we usually only go with FedRAMP-certified cloud vendors. So we're not actually even scanning those applications in the cloud with Veracode. Not all our applications are there, but close to 30 percent of them are there now.

And they have to address not being compatible with certain platforms that we use. That has to be addressed because the ROI question may be coming up sooner rather than later.

The solution is very pricey.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good, very reliable, and they've made a lot of improvements to the dashboards and the reports. They've made the product easy to use. There used to be a lot of things that you had to search for and maneuver to dig deep down for them, but you don't have to do that anymore. Many of the things are now at your fingertips, including performance reports. Those things are easy to get to.

HB
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Verification that an app is secure gives us higher credibility with clients and better performance

• "It is easy to use for us developers. It supports so many languages: C#, .NET Core, .NET Framework, and it even scans some of our JavaScript. You just need the extension to upload the files and the reports are generated with so much detail."
  • "I would like to see them provide more content in the developer training section. This field is really changing each day and there are flaws that are detected each day. Some sort of regular updates to the learning would help."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Static Analysis, Dynamic Analysis, and SCA, the software composition analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

The Static Analysis has identified flaws.

From a developer point of view, it has really helped me to know about many security best practices that I need to follow.

There are also security specialists, although it's not my area, who work on strategy to mitigate flaws. It classifies things into three levels: high, medium, and low, the latter being the ones that you can live with. It tells you which are very critical and you need to fix. That helps management to determine the strategy of what to fix next.

When you reach a level of security in your application and you get verification from Veracode that your app is secure, that helps in selling products. Mitigating flaws and being sure that your product is secure is going to give you higher credibility with clients and better performance.

In our use case, some of our products have dependencies in separate apps. Before going into production, each dependency has its own sandbox to help us identify the vulnerabilities in that certain dependency. Then there is the software composition analysis, the SCA, that helps us scan all the vulnerabilities when those modules are integrated with each other. Before deploying the whole app into production, we fix the flaws and increase the score. We have a whole company policy that some high-level security experts put in place. Before we move on to the next level of scanning we need to get to a certain score. That has really helped us. Each time, they make the analysis a little harder, to dive deeper into the code and go through different scenarios to find more flaws. That has really helped us have the minimum required number of issues and security flaws, when we go into production.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the application analyses:

• Static Analysis
  • Dynamic Analysis
  • SCA, the software composition analysis, to scan all the models together.

These are the three features we've mostly been using.

It is easy to use for us developers. It supports so many languages: C#, .NET Core, .NET Framework, and it even scans some of our JavaScript. You just need the extension to upload the files and the reports are generated with so much detail.

You can detect which line is causing the issue and it gives you some insights about, for example, if you have a dependency problem in your inputs or some known vulnerabilities. It even gives you an article so that you can read about it and know how to mitigate it in some cases. Sometimes there are well-known flaws in third-parties and you should upgrade to another version to resolve your issues. Veracode guides you.

I haven't tried any other platforms, but from what I have seen, it is really fast. You just upload the files, which is easy to do, and you can follow the scanning progress on the platform. Once it's done you get an email and you just access the platform. I don't know what other tools are like, but for me, Veracode is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them provide more content in the developer training section. This field is really changing each day and there are flaws that are detected each day. Some sort of regular updates to the learning would help.

I would also like to see more integration with other frameworks. There were some .NET Core versions that weren't supported back when we started, but now they're providing more support for it.

I've used Veracode since October, 2018.

The solution we are using is stable. So far, it seems to be really practical.

In our company, other products are using it, not just our product. So it's surely being used by other developers. There is also management between the applications. Each team has its own hierarchy in the company and the organizational levels are handled well in the solution. We have an upper manager and the administrator of the app. And each product has its own dashboards and its own access rights, so I cannot see the results of other people.

There was a time when we needed support from them. We organized a call because the license the company had included the possibility to have a support call with one of the Veracode guys, when we first started using it. They were very helpful, showing us how to use it. They provided support on how to integrate the extension. We had a one hour call with them and they were really helpful.

They also asked for some feedback. It feels really good to have that community working together. We feel engaged with the whole Veracode community.

What other advice do I have?

I've participated in some of the online courses, which helped. There are some levels that the team should have. You follow some courses, you get to level one, and then you move on to the next level. Each level of certification was really useful to learn about some of the flaws and some of the vulnerabilities that we could face. They give you some great use cases and how to remedy things in C# and many different languages. The online course also shows you how a developer can make some mistakes in his code, and how those mistakes can be used to bypass app security. By knowing that, you can avoid doing it in the future.

There were also some events organized recently—security labs—and they were also useful. There were tasks and I even had to work on them outside of work, but they were really helpful and a challenge.

The training also helped us to identify the existing vulnerabilities in our code and some of the third-parties that we are using that have vulnerabilities in them. We know we need to upgrade them.

My advice is that you should follow the training, initially. It was really helpful, even at the first level. Then, go on and read all the detailed documentation online. There are even some video tutorials which are really helpful. These are the steps that I followed.

There is a section on the supported frameworks. Veracode supports a wide variety of languages, but it would be good to check that before diving into the analysis and why it's not detecting your code.

I have been really satisfied with the areas of Veracode that I have had a chance to work with.

Christian Camerlengo
Senior Programmer/Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reporting for compliance with industry regulations is excellent, identifying most issues our penetration testers look for

• "The reporting being highly accurate is pretty cool. I use another product and I was always looking for answers as to what line, which part of the code, was wrong, and what to do about it. Veracode seems to have a solid database to look things up and a website to look things up."
  • "The triage indicator was kind of hard to find. It's a very small arrow and I had no idea it was there."

What is our primary use case?

We're required to make sure we have no high or very high security issues in our code. Veracode is a code reviewer to prevent hacking and other bad things from happening.

How has it helped my organization?

The way it helps our company is that the code is secure. It also helps with our customers because I believe they can request a copy of the report. It lets them know that we're doing the best we can to provide secure software.

The solution has helped build my security skills as a developer. Now, as I proceed forward, I know what to look for when coding items. I'll be coding a little bit more defensively from what I've learned, from all the errors that it has found. Some of the stuff I wasn't even aware of. I also became aware of things that Veracode verified, but I really couldn't fix.

The policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations is excellent. It identified most of the issues that our penetration testers look for and gave me a way to look at the line numbers of the code that needed fixing, and that was a huge help. It also gave me samples of code for what was going wrong and it enabled my supervisors and me to go through the whole project and fix 99 percent of the issues we had.

It provides visibility into application status across all testing types in a centralized view. The report is very good at showing that. We are not allowed to install anything until it passes the Veracode test. We have to fix all errors before we can install our software. It absolutely helps reduce risk exposure for our software.

I haven't come across any false positives.

What is most valuable?

The reporting being highly accurate is pretty cool. I use another product and I was always looking for answers as to what line, which part of the code, was wrong, and what to do about it. Veracode seems to have a solid database to look things up and a website to look things up. We've had very few issues that we have actually had to contact Veracode about.

It does give some guidance, up to a point, for fixing vulnerabilities. It does a pretty good job of that. We went from a bunch of errors to a handful that I needed help with, and that was mostly because they provided some good information for us to look at. If I had been using this product a long time ago, I would have been able to anticipate a lot of things that Veracode discovered. The product I'm working on is about 12 years old and this was the first time we ran scans on it using Veracode. It identified quite a few issues. If you're starting a new project, it would be a good place to start. Once you get used to what people like penetration testers are looking for, this is a good tool to prevent having a pen test come back bad.

The Static Analysis Pipeline Scan is very good. It found everything that we needed to fix.

What needs improvement?

The triage indicator was kind of hard to find. It's a very small arrow and I had no idea it was there.

We have been using Veracode for about three months.

The stability seems pretty good. There was only one instance where the site was down.

I don't think Veracode has any problems with scalability. My company is very big. There are about 1,000 of us, all developers, using the solution. It's being used throughout the company for all our products.

I would give their technical support five stars out of five. They were on point and they helped us identify resolutions for some of our issues that we couldn't figure out.

We used Fortify. I was not involved in the decision to switch.

I don't really know about the pricing, but I'd say it's worth whatever Veracode is charging, because the solution is that good. It's just a good product, overall.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I have learned from using Veracode is that there isn't an answer for everything. But when an area needs to be mitigated the mitigation process is fairly easy.

It's pretty efficient, but in my case it took a long time to upload my information. It was a very big project, so I was not surprised that it took a long time, but it was mostly because of the internet around here. It would take a long time to upload the DLL and run the static analysis. It would take about two hours, but again, it's a large project.

Overall, it does a very good job of preventing vulnerable code from going into production. It identified issues that were not detected in penetration tests and allowed us to lock them down.

VV
Senior Project Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Comprehensive features and good integrations but needs better documentation

• "It's comprehensive from a feature standpoint."
  • "The reports on offer are too verbose."

What is most valuable?

The SAST feature is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The stability has been quite good overall. The performance is reliable.

The scalability on offer is good. I don't see any constraints.

From a usability standpoint and the way it can be integrated into the pipelines, etc., it's very good.

It's comprehensive from a feature standpoint.

What needs improvement?

The reports on offer are too verbose. They might want to consider t restructuring their reports to better give a very good summary or overview in the first five or so pages and then go ahead and drill into the details of each and every vulnerability beyond that.

The documentation could be improved. They could, for example, provide more details in terms of how to fix issues related to sign-ups. There isn't enough detailed information out there to assist users.

I joined this company very recently. Therefore, I've only used the solution for a few months. However, this company has used Veracode for at least the last two to three years. They've had it for a while.

The stability overall is quite reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is very good.

The solution can scale well. If a company is considering expanding, it should be able to do so without issue.

We do have a limited amount of users on the solution right now.

I've never had a need, up to this point, to reach out to technical support. I haven't really come across any technical issues during my short tenure with the product. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I don't have any insights I could share.

We have a few team members that specialize in the solution.

Our team handles the maintenance of the solution.

I don't have enough information to be able to comment on the cost of licensing the product. That's more of a sales question. I don't handle any aspect of that part of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't really have a business relationship with Veracode.

I'm more from the performance testing side of things. I've just added the security testing to my list of responsibilities recently.

We're using a mix of deployment models. We use both on-premises and cloud deployments.

It's a good tool. I've done some comparisons with both SAST and DAST. It gives us this end-to-end sort of feature that we appreciate. Therefore, rather than you doing SAST with one tool and DAST with another tool, I prefer going with Veracode, which offers both.

You can learn both static and dynamic scans with a single tool. You could effectively negotiate a price and do that. If you got some simple apps, from a CAC standpoint, I'd recommend folks to use Veracode.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Riley Black
Senior Security Analyst at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Increased productivity, helped build and improve security and development departmental relationships

• "Integrations into our developer's IDE (Greenlight) and the DevOps Pipeline SAST / SourceClear Integrations has particularly increased our time to market and confidence."
  • "Improve Mobile Application Dynamic Scanning DAST - .ipa and .apk"

What is our primary use case?

Veracode is a cornerstone of our Development Security Operations Program, particularly scanning automation and remediation tracking.

We've been able to monitor the release cycle and verify our Security Standards are met by setting policy and ensuring scans are taking place. If a scan fails to meet our standard the build breaks and the flaws are remediated before releasing to Stage and ultimately Production -  where the potential impact is much more costly.

We have discovered opportunities to make our code even better thanks to Veracode!

How has it helped my organization?

Veracode has improved our Application Security program by providing numerous integrations and tools to take our AppSec/DevSecOps to the next level.

Integrations into our developer's IDE (Greenlight) and the DevOps Pipeline SAST / SourceClear Integrations has particularly increased our time to market and confidence.

In many ways, Veracode has increased productivity, helped build and improve security and development departmental relationships as well as enabling developers to consider and care about application security.

What is most valuable?

Greenlight - Developers can test their code before they commit. They are able to privately scan their code and correct any mistakes before it is committed into the build and scanned with the other components.

SAST - During a build process, we have integrated the Veracode Static Scanning (SAST) component which provides an excellent first glance at the code moving through environments.

SCA /SourceClear - Veracode SCA / Source Clear has given us excellent visibility into potential vulnerabilities found in third-party components, packages, frameworks, and libraries.

What needs improvement?

Improve Mobile Application Dynamic Scanning DAST - .ipa and .apk. Right now I have to jailbreak an iPhone and Root an Android to intercept and fuzz requests with a Burp Suite Proxy.

That is a very time-consuming process and there are lots of dependencies. It would be very helpful if we can upload and .ipa or .apk into a Veracode simulator, provide credentials and run a Dynamic scan accordingly. Fuzzing functionality on API resources, HTTP Methods, and Parameters would also be very useful in testing our Web and API Application Firewalls, response pages, and other WAAF actions.

I have been using Veracode for about two years now.

It seems to be very stable, no problems thus far.

It has lots of growth potential, lots of room for improvement.

Exceptional!

Previously used Burp Suite, OWASP Zed Attack Proxy, Python scripts / Powershell and Batch, Retire.JS, Vulners, and Wappalyzer browser plugins.

The initial setup very straightforward and integrations were up and running in a matter of days after purchase.

Implementation was in-house (Deployment, Automation Engineers, Myself)

Unknown - productivity and time are measurable, possibly as much as 20%. Improvement in cross departmental relations is priceless!

We also evaluated WhiteHat Security.

Hybrid Cloud