Anil Kale
Sr. Technology Consultant at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to implement with fair pricing and a good user interface

• "The pricing of the solution is fair."
  • "It would be nice if the rack servers had an HCI solution as an option."

What is most valuable?

The user interface is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The implementation process is quite good.

The pricing of the solution is fair.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking on the solution. It works well for our clients for the most part.

It would be nice if the rack servers had an HCI solution as an option.

We've been using the solution for the past two years now.

The stability is good. It also lasts a relatively long time. Our customers are typically looking for something that will hold up for about five years, and this solution does that. It's not buggy. There aren't glitches. It doesn't crash or break down.

You can easily scale the solution up and down. Our customers want a solution that can work with for half a decade at least, so they need something flexible, and this solution delivers.

We deal with customers of all sizes, from small to large organizations. This solution works well for each of them.

The technical support is okay. We have an internal team, however, they are by no means experts. We need Dell to fill in the blanks and sometimes that can't help us the way we hoped they would. It might be helpful if the Dell site had more information so that we could just go there.

We use a variety of Dell options including FX and XE, among others. Which we use is dependant on the client requirements.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite easy to set everything up, in fact. All of the underlying technology is the same on Dell, so we don't have an issue handling the implementation on the Dell servers for our customers.

We can handle the aspects of the installation ourselves, as it's pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We are a service provider and a reseller. We use various versions of the solution. The deployment models also vary as it depends on customer requirements. We deal with a lot of hyper-converged solutions.

I'd recommend the solution. We've had no issues with it at all.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

TH
Business Continuity and Data Center Manager at a outsourcing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A perfect and stable solution with reconstructive compatibility

• "The reconstructive compatibility with VMware ESXi is the most valuable."
  • "The only thing that could be improved is documentation. During the installation, it would be good to have some information about how is it going."

What is our primary use case?

I use Dell R740 servers series as the main compute server to host IT workloads.

It's an excellent choice and it's integrated well with Dell-VMWare virtualization OS (ESXi).

How has it helped my organization?

Dell R series are very good engineered servers. Reliability and durability are the key to choose this product. This is a cornerstone to build a highly available IT system.

What is most valuable?

The reconstructive compatibility with VMware ESXi is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that could be improved is documentation. The product is highly customizable with a lot of options for each component. These options are not easily understood. It would be great to offer more user-friendly interface/Documentation to build up the system.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We can scale it by adding nodes, but some software and licenses are required for that. We have around 60 users using it on a daily basis

I never contacted them. We are usually able to resolve any issues within the company.

Yes, I installed and administered HP Proliant servers. It was a good product in my experience.

I switched because we got a competitive price.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have three team members for its deployment and regular maintenance.

It's easy to install and configure with suitable server administrator.

iDrac management solution is included with the server. It provides suitable zero-cost solution for monitoring and managing your hardware.

Yes we evaluate all possible alternatives like:

HP and Lenovo

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for rack servers. It is perfect.

I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers an nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Md. Lyas Uddin Bhuiyan
Senior Manager at Express Systems Limited (ESL)
Easy to set up and the remote management capability is good

• "The most valuable features are remote management and iDRAC."
  • "The design, in terms of power efficiency, can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the storage products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are remote management and iDRAC. Manageability is definitely one of the good points for Dell servers.

This is a quality product that can be customized for our clients.

What needs improvement?

The design, in terms of power efficiency, can be improved.

Improvements should be made in terms of field expandability. Scalability, in general, has room for improvement.

Support for virtualization support can be better.

I have been working with Dell Rack Servers for about 15 years, since 2004.

The Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers are definitely stable. Once we start one, we don't shut them down. The run for three, four, or five years at a time, and the performance does not decrease.

It is easy to scale, although when the server is built, you need to include options for future expandability. In cases where we create room in advance, it is easy. Otherwise, there can be some difficulty.

The local support in Dhaka is very good and we are happy with it.

I have worked with a variety of Dell PowerEdge models including 1850, 2850, 2900, 2950, 5710, 720, and 740.

The initial setup is very easy, as is the management. The time required for deployment depends on the environment and requirements. For example, it will differ based on whether it is a cluster deployment versus a VM implementation.

We also work with similar servers from HPE and Cisco. Many of the features and capabilities are the same. The suitability of one product over another depends on the specific requirements.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I have had a good experience with it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Florent ADODO
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Easy to use and the documentation is good, but response time from support could be improved

• "You are provided with excellent instructions."
  • "They need to improve the support, as they are not very responsive, and they don't get back to you right away."

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use.

For every option, there is documentation with at least two lines of explanation.

You are provided with excellent instructions.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the support, as they are not very responsive, and they don't get back to you right away.

We have been working with Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers for several years.

It's a stable solution and we plan to continue using it.

Dell EMC PowerEdge is not very scalable. This is an area that can improve.

We have 389 users in our organization.

The critical issue is when you send them an email, you will not get a reply for two or three days.

They are happy to fix your issues but they are not very responsive.

We started when we had Windows 7 in 2012, and have now upgraded to Dell EMC.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took two days to complete the installation.

We have one person to maintain it.

We had help from an integrator during our implementation. We have been using these integrators for five years.

It's a one-time licensing fee for the device and we pay a quota per year for the support.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy both on-premises and on the cloud, but at this time we are using on-premise only because we have to get additional access to the cloud.

This is a good product. I would recommend it for small to mid-size companies, but not for large companies who manage several computers. The response time for their support could be faster.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Klodian Maloku
Director of IT at Sigal
A stable and scalable solution with good virtualization and distributed power management features

• "Virtualization and distributed power management are good and valuable features."
  • "It would be easier if the remote connection to the server could be done through the USB port. From the server, we should be able to connect to a laptop or a management workstation through a USB port."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for main servers, database servers, and application servers.

What is most valuable?

Virtualization and distributed power management are good and valuable features.

What needs improvement?

It would be easier if the remote connection to the server could be done through the USB port. From the server, we should be able to connect to a laptop or a management workstation through a USB port.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers for around ten years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. I have extended it using virtualization technologies. We have 5 servers and around 1000 users.

I am satisfied with their technical support.

I had a little bit of difficulty in the beginning when we used provisioning with automated tasks almost ten years ago, but after that, it was very straightforward.

Dell had authorized a vendor in my country. I took some advice and assistance from them. They were okay.

For its maintenance, some tasks are handled by our administrator internally and some tasks are handled by the vendor.

Dell's solution was cheaper than HP's solution.

I also use similar solutions from HP. Based on my usage, I have found them quite similar. They are at the same level.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, but they have to see their overall system, that is, the interfaces, fabric, reports, network path, etc. They have to see the compatibility metrics between different parts. I had some difficulties in the beginning when I was supposed to change to the right certified device.

I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers a ten out of ten.

Eslam Mamdouh
System Engineer at ITVision
Reseller
Easy to configure, easy to set up, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller. Our customers use this solution for governing the system and for some specific applications. They are going towards the hyper-convergence infrastructure or HCI in Egypt. Our customers have on-premises and cloud deployments.

What is most valuable?

It is user friendly and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

System security can be improved. They can add more power and security for ESXi version 7.

My company has been using the Dell PowerEdge servers for about ten years.

It is stable.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is user friendly and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

My company has been using the Dell PowerEdge servers for about ten years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. It can be scaled with storage, such as with EMC storage. Our plans are for three years. If a customer needs the solution, we proceed to secure a deal and plan for three years so that the customer doesn't suffer because of scalability issues. Our customers are government departments as well as private businesses.

They are good. The visibility of Dell is very strong in Egypt, especially in the north where most of the engineers are. We also have a distributor. They're very supportive and help us in training and sizing.

It is easy to set up because the Lifecycle Controller is very friendly, especially when you use the GUI for initialization. The system and the RAID controller take time, but in general, it is very easy to set up. You can check the Lifecycle.

We do it ourselves because we are a reseller, and we have a technical team to deploy it.

The server is a one-time purchase, but the support is on a subscription basis.

What other advice do I have?

Dell has a new product every quarter, so its portfolio is very large.

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers a ten out of ten.

Jitesh Rathod
Sr. Team Lead - IT at InfoStretch
Stable, easy to set up, and the support is good

• "What we like the most is the stability. Without shutdowns, our VMs and servers are up and running fine."
  • "All of the servers are in cluster mode and when PowerEdge Server is down, others are affected."

What is our primary use case?

Our setup is only for single storage with Dell servers R620 and R630. We have 10 servers and we have deployed the ESXi on each one, with multiple VMs on each server.

This solution is being used for testing purposes. We are testing for our clients that require any builder deployment. When our project is over, then we will restart this VM.

What is most valuable?

The backup and the requirement of the DR site is valuable.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't automatically upgrade the firmware. We have to manually process it because we have forgotten about the firmware and virus updates.

We would like to see the upgrades done automatically. In future releases, automation would be required.

We have been working with Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Server for approximately five to six years.

It's a very stable solution.

Scalability could be improved.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was easy.

What other advice do I have?

This is a server that I would recommend to others.

I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers a nine out of ten.

Mostofa Kamal
Deputy Manager of IT Security Infrastructure at leads
Simple installation, good technical support, and highly durable

• "Our customers do not ask for any service for the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers because they are very durable."
  • "The solution could improve by making the warranty policy better, which is a little bit complex because our local service partner Smart Technologies has long delays. Whenever we open any case for any customer, it takes more than five days. If we could handle it by ourselves, we could have the issue solved in one day. They should work on a way to fix these delays."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers for many use cases but primarily in banks and multinational companies.

What is most valuable?

Our customers do not ask for any service for the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers because they are very durable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers are scalable.

Dell technical support has been good.

The initial setup was easy.

The price of Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is reasonable compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Rack Servers
Download our free Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.