NA
Executive Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Reliable, fast, very scalable, and hardly breaks down

• "They are reliable, and they hardly break down. They are fast, and they serve us very well."
  • "For me, the product is okay, but I would probably suggest improvement in their services or technical support. They need to work harder in the preventative maintenance of the system. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved. Its price could also be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We are running a biometric solution. This is the main solution for which we use HPE BladeSystem.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE keeps on releasing new BladeSystems. We started with G4 and have used G5, G6, G7, G8, servers. We find these upgrades very useful. As our business volume grows, we're able to find an appropriate HPE server to use.

What is most valuable?

They are reliable, and they hardly break down. They are fast, and they serve us very well.

What needs improvement?

For me, the product is okay, but I would probably suggest improvement in their services or technical support. They need to work harder in the preventative maintenance of the system. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved.

Its price could also be lower.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. The entire banking industry in Nigeria is connected to this solution. Everybody in the industry uses this solution. We intend to grow and increase its usage.

Technical support is my main concern. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved.

Its initial setup is very easy.

We used resellers.

It is expensive. There are no additional costs. We are able to get good discounts anyway from HPE, but if the price can come down, we'll be happy.

We considered IBM. We made a choice for HPE, and it has been working well for us.

What other advice do I have?

My main advice would be to ensure that your technical staff is well trained by HPE and the technical staff receives HPE technical training because the support that you want may not come from HPE. If you have your in-house team properly trained, it should be fine.

I would rate HPE BladeSystem an eight out of ten.

AO
Corporate IT Infrastructure Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Support applications and virtualization across the entire organization with scalable hardware

• "It is very stable."
  • "It is easy to scale if you have the licensing."
  • "It is lacking in the ability to replicate virtual machines more easily."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution like a hypervisor to host our applications. We have secondary areas for our accounting and manufacturing. That is a separate legacy system. We also use it as a SQL server.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. Also, their support is amazing. If there is any issue, within a couple of hours, they will ship the box from another country and within a couple of hours, it will be here.

What needs improvement?

- Ability to connect storage bay to all servers inside the enclosure not only Adjacent server.

- simplified High Availability Configuration to connect the enclosure to different external switches.

We have been using HPE BladeSystem for around 4-5 years.

It is easy to scale. You can connect as many servers as you need depending on your account type.

The support is amazing.

I used to use a different solution but it was too different to compare. It was a very old system and it did not operate in the same way.

Regarding the setup, it is easy for the blade itself, but the integration with the network devices needs to be done by someone who knows the product.

The training takes something like five days and it is worth the effort to be able to do implementation and management by yourself.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to people considering this solution is to just make sure that the blade will be supported by the existing system. This is the only issue that we faced. It will be hard to integrate with some older switches. Usually, you will not be able to configure this solution with high availability if you are using older solutions. You cannot add it to a regular storage server. It is one of the limitations that you can not just add a storage unit for the blades.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a nine.

Learn what your peers think about HPE BladeSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RA
Systems Engineer at AXA Assistance US
Easy to manage the enclosure, simple software upgrading, and scalable

• "One of the most valuable features I have found to be the enclosure. It is really easy to manage and everything is integrated. You are able to upgrade the software quite easily."
  • "We sometimes have compatibility issues depending on the browser that you are using. For example, sometimes you have to switch between Edge, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, or Chrome to have things operating correctly."

What is our primary use case?

We have a mix of generation eight and ten Blades in our HPE BladeSystem and we mostly use the system for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features I have found to be the enclosure. It is really easy to manage and everything is integrated. You are able to upgrade the software quite easily.

What needs improvement?

We sometimes have compatibility issues depending on the browser that you are using. For example, sometimes you have to switch between Edge, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, or Chrome to have things operating correctly.

We have a few Blades from previous generations that cannot have the updated firmware upload to them unless you have a maintenance contract with HP. This is a frustrating problem we have experienced with the support.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

The solution has had a few bugs and glitches.

The solution is scalable, we have approximately 3,000 people that use this solution.

When we received technical support from HPE and it has been very good.

I would rate the technical support for HPE BladeSystem a ten out of ten.

The installation was very easy.

We have been satisfied with the price. However, there are additional costs for support.

We are currently evaluating and researching other options because we are looking for simplicity. We plan to replace our HPE BladeSystem with converged or hyper-converged infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others this is a good system overall with great hardware.

I rate HPE BladeSystem an eight out of ten.

Enrico Boseli
CTO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Mature with good technical support

• "I have noticed that the solution does provide a very good ROI for companies."
  • "They could include some embedded software for container technology."

What is our primary use case?

As a company, as a service provider, we primarily use the solution in order to give service to other companies.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's an easy process.

Technical support is pretty good.

The solution is quite mature.

The stability, in general, is good.

I have noticed that the solution does provide a very good ROI for companies.

What needs improvement?

I've dealt with the product for about 20 years at this point. It's likely been two decades. I've spent a lot of time with it overall.

The performance is okay,

The scalability is okay.

Technical support is good. They are going a good job overall. I would describe them as helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support that is on offer.

I have not found the initial setup to be overly difficult or complex. It's straightforward. The process is simple.

The solution is one of the best in terms of providing an excellent ROI to its users.

What other advice do I have?

We are HPE partners.

We mostly deal with eh latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a good choice for the right use case. A company needs to look at it and decide if it's right for them and their purposes, however.

Overall, I would rate the solution at eight out of ten overall. We've been mostly happy with its capabilities.

AT
Director of Technology Services at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Reliable, easy to maintain, and it's priced well

• "I like the stability."
  • "I would like to see the upgrade path a little bit smoother."

What is most valuable?

BladeSystem was done really well.

I like the stability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the upgrade path a little bit smoother. We can't pull the servers from the current Blade, over to the NonStop system because of the different connectors.

I feel that it is a waste of money. I invested in it and I can't port it over.

The back of the blade system from their older generations will not connect to the new chassis. You will need buy new servers to the NonStop chassis.

HPE BladeSystem is a stable product.

We are a small-sized company.

We use only HP products.

Every generation of NonStop is just an upgrade from their BladeSystem. They could have let be known that it was BladeSystem two, but they just gave it a different name.

The initial setup is complex. You need the help of a consultant.

We have two people to deploy and maintain this solution.

BladeSystem is a little bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate HPE BladeSystem a nine out of ten.

GA
IT Support at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable and stable solution with good performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for media and backup servers.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good performance.

What needs improvement?

All around, it would be nice if the solution were cheaper.

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for around 15 years, which is the entire length of my career.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I do not have experience with technical support.

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for media and backup servers.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good performance.

What needs improvement?

All around, it would be nice if the solution were cheaper.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I do not have experience with technical support.

The decision to switch from other products to the current solution was not within my purview.

I do not have experience with putting the solution together, as it comes pre-configured. The installation is easy.

Items which are more cost-effective have a greater tendency to be refurbished. This is why I don't really consider the pricing to be problematic.

This said, it would make everyone happy if the solution were less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate HPE BladeSystem as an eight out of ten.

WA
Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
High performance, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We have been using HPE BladeSystem for our DBS telecommunication system.

What is most valuable?

The solution has high performance.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more automation, such as the automatic mapping feature that is available in the Synergy Blade series. In a future release, the backup system could improve but having a built-in storage module.

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for a couple of years.

The solution is stable and reliable.

The scalability is very good.

The technical support has been slow at…

What is our primary use case?

We have been using HPE BladeSystem for our DBS telecommunication system.

What is most valuable?

The solution has high performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for a couple of years.

The solution is stable and reliable.

The scalability is very good.

The technical support has been slow at responding which can cause some operational issues if we do not have backups. The speed of support could improve.

The initial installation would be difficult for new users without training. I do not find it difficult because I have the HPE professional certification.

The HPE BladeSystem is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE BladeSystem a nine out of ten.

AH
Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
An easy-to-use system that conserves space

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our hypervisor. Within our organization, there are roughly 2,000 users, using this solution. We have a team of 20 people that handle all maintenance-related issues.

What is most valuable?

HPE BladeSystem is very easy to use. It conserves a lot of space.

What needs improvement?

The management side of this solution could be improved. In our case, it's managed via OneView — it's an appliance. It could be better, its interface doesn't feel 100% intuitive.

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for three years.

HPE BladeSystem is both stable and scalable.

A contractor implemented this solution for…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

HPE BladeSystem is very easy to use. It conserves a lot of space.

What needs improvement?

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for three years.

HPE BladeSystem is both stable and scalable.

A contractor implemented this solution for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE BladeSystem a rating of eight.