DM
Architecte fonctionnel at AAnnex
A great solution with good pricing that makes it easy to create diagrams

• "It's easy to search within the solution."
  • "The window froze for five or ten seconds. You can click and click again and it takes a second to come up. It might have been specific to a version."

What is our primary use case?

We put the solution on all of our systems. We've got about 200 systems on it, however, it's not all documented yet. We have about a third of all of our systems covered. There are likely 5,000 users that need to be covered.

What is most valuable?

The pricing of the solution is pretty good. It's reasonable.

Overall, It works pretty well.

It's easy to create all diagrams.

It's easy to search within the solution.

It's very good software.

What needs improvement?

There was some sort of glitch within the last version. Everything is in French and I tried to use English. It didn't work so well.

I've used the solution for about two years at this point. It's been a while.

We have a team of about 20 that work with this product.

I wasn't part of the initial implementation. I can't speak to how difficult or complex the setup actually was.

The solution is reasonably priced and not overly expensive.

I haven't had a chance to compare this solution to other products. For us, it works pretty well and we haven't had to look elsewhere for similar solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a functional architect.

I'm not sure whether or not our company has a business relationship with Sparx or if we are just customers.

We don't use the product for generic cogeneration. We don't use it yet for that, however, in the future, we might.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly satisfied with the capabilities of the product.

NB
Enterprise Architect, Coach and Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Offers good flexibility and is easy to use

• "Sparx offers good flexibility."
  • "The documentation could be better. Where I work, we speak French and we don't speak English, so we don't have anything in French. It's perfect in English, but we need something in French."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for modeling and for making strategy.

What is most valuable?

Sparx offers good flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be better. Where I work, we speak French and we don't speak English, so we don't have anything in French. It's perfect in English, but we need something in French.

I have been using Sparx for 11 years.

Stability is not perfect. When you are working with your notebook after 10 minutes that you don't touch your keyboard we see some stability problems with the system. It blocks it. They have to improve this.

We have 100 tests. We have one company that represents Sparx here in Canada. They work with us and also give us technical support.

It's easy to scale because we integrated with Jira. It was very quick to start our work. It's very easy. It's good.

Their support is perfect. They are quick and courteous.

We use Bonita, Lucidchart and erwin.

We had three months to compare and after that, we concluded that Bonita was very difficult to use for beginners. You have to have the experience, it's not easy for someone starting their career.

Sparx is more complex but in terms of functionality, it is easier to use.

The initial setup is okay.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to do a lot of training beforehand. We have invested a lot of money in terms of training because we didn't do it before, so it's a little bit difficult.

In the next release, I would like to see more integration with other tools like Microsoft Azure. That's really important to us.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DH
IT Professional at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good price, easy to set up, and quite stable with useful TOGAF ADM model

• "The TOGAF ADM model is most valuable. It is also very cheap as compared to other options in the market."
  • "Its usability needs to be improved. For non-technical users, it is a little difficult to understand how Enterprise Architect works. Users who are not engineers find it difficult to understand how this tool works. This is something they need to work on. They can develop a BPM model to simulate processes."

What is our primary use case?

I am in a new company, and we are beginning the process of modeling the architecture. We're using Enterprise Architect for that.

What is most valuable?

The TOGAF ADM model is most valuable. It is also very cheap as compared to other options in the market.

What needs improvement?

Its usability needs to be improved. For non-technical users, it is a little difficult to understand how Enterprise Architect works. Users who are not engineers find it difficult to understand how this tool works. This is something they need to work on.

They can develop a BPM model to simulate processes.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is quite stable.

It is a fixed license, so we don't have the functionality of scaling it. We have five people who are using this solution. They all are in the strategy area of the company.

I didn't experience any issues so far, so I didn't ask for help.

I have used MEGA HOPEX in my earlier company, but it is very complex to understand and costly.

It is straightforward.

We are implementing it on our own.

It is cheaper than other solutions. Its cost is around $686 per year. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

To implement this solution, you need experienced people who know about enterprise architecture.

I would rate Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect an eight out of ten.

AC
Co-Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A visual modeling and design tool that's stable and scalable

• "It's a stable and scalable solution. I like that it's similar to Rational Rose."
  • "It could be more user-friendly. The tools could be more simple to use. It's a very complex solution. Because I am a business analyst, I use these tools to manage requirements, and I make models in UML, BPMN, and ArchiMate, and it's complex. In the next release, I would like to see more integrations."

What is our primary use case?

I use Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect to model BPM, UML, model enterprise architecture, and use with ArchiMate.

What is most valuable?

It's a stable and scalable solution. I like that it's similar to Rational Rose.

What needs improvement?

It could be more user-friendly. The tools could be more simple to use. It's a very complex solution. Because I am a business analyst, I use these tools to manage requirements, and I make models in UML, BPMN, and ArchiMate, and it's complex. In the next release, I would like to see more integrations.

I have been using Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect for over ten years.

It's very stable.

Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect is a scalable solution. The number of users we have depends on the project. In some projects, we have about 20 people, or in small projects, just one person.

A few years ago, I used Rational Rose, and Sparx Enterprise Architect is similar. In comparison to Rational Rose, it's more stable.

It's a very easy installation.

I implemented this solution by myself. You need a technical team with three to five people to deploy and maintain this solution.

What other advice do I have?

In Poland, it's a very popular tool, and I recommended it. It's not ideal, but they are very good tools.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect a nine.

MichaelSukachev
Enterprise Architect at Teranet, INC.
Ability to preserve an inventory of reusable blocks; a great add-on to other frameworks

• "Ability to keep inventory of reusable blocks, and use in different diagrams with views of various templates."
  • "Not visually appealing."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a UML tool, a diagramming tool that also enables you to build an inventory of different objects and different entities. We are a customer of Sparx and I am an enterprise architect.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to keep an inventory of reusable blocks, and use them in different diagrams with views of various templates that are also available. It also has the ability to work as an add-on with Zachman Framework and a variety of other frameworks adapted to this product. It's a good UML tool.

What needs improvement?

I think the solution could be improved visually. It's not as visually appealing as other solutions. There is a difference between being focused on a technical audience or a business audience. A business audience requires a greater effort and good visuals. Integrations with SharePoint, for example, could be beneficial. If you are using on-premise installation, the sharing of your artifacts with people that don't have a license, can be somewhat complicated.

I've been using this solution for eight years.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward and it's a simple implementation.

What other advice do I have?

Although we use an on-prem version, they've now moved over to cloud so the sharing is much easier and has improved the solution overall.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

NA
Digital Asset Intelligence Lead at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good functionality and has improved efficiency; UI could be enhanced

• "The company has become more efficient and reduced its budget."
  • "The UI could be improved and made a little bit more presentable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is related to the architecture around tying the business objectives and values to their maintenance management and asset management system. I'm a digital asset intelligence lead and we are customers of Sparx.

How has it helped my organization?

The company wants to reduce its maintenance budget so the aim is to get more for less. The solution has achieved this and improved efficiency.

What is most valuable?

Sparx has good functionality to tie back the requirements coming all the way up to the balance score card. The connection is good as well being reusable so you can tweak the system and change different elements in it, which actually cascade down and see the connections with the other elements.

What needs improvement?

I think the UI could be improved and made a little bit more presentable. I've also found that sometimes finding the track of the information inside can be difficult. All their topics and help are related to each other with one link over the other and it's a bit like going down a rabbit hole and not being able to find your way back. It would be helpful to have some form of infographic showing how these concepts are related to each other. But I also understand that there is a huge amount of information available and sometimes finding the proper tool is not easy.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

JL
IT Architect at a government with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with good integration between different notations

• "Features good reporting facilities coupled with a concrete database."
  • "This solution is quite complex to use. It would be nice if the learning curve wasn't so steep."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our enterprise architecture and all forms of data modeling using UML.

Within our company, there are roughly 25 employees using this solution.

We use this solution a lot. In fact, we plan on using it to cover all of our enterprise architecture-related tasks.

What is most valuable?

This solution provides us with good integration between different notations. It also features good reporting facilities coupled with a concrete database.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any additional features that I would like to see in the next release. There are already plenty; if there were any more, it would only become harder to use.

I have been using Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect for the past 10 years.

This solution is quite stable.

I haven't had to contact technical support.

The initial setup isn't easy, but it's not hard either — it's in between.

I think our license costs roughly $1,000 a year, but I could be wrong.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Just make sure to hire an expert to get you started.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Private Cloud
RH
IT Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use for making diagrams and metrics

• "A feature I like most about Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect is its ease of use."
  • "What should be improved are the integration capabilities of the solution with Bizagi."

What is our primary use case?

I want a solution that can interface with Jira and Confluence, both of which my customers have, as well as with that of Bizagi.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

My customers use Bizagi, although I do not. I don't want to change this. What should be improved, however, are the integration capabilities of the solution with Bizagi.

I work with IBM in enterprise architecture as the project manager. I used to use IBM Rational System Architect. I can now see as a consultant what I am able to offer the customer, not only that of IBM, of course. I am currently seeking solutions other than IBM.

I previously used other tools, such as IBM's enterprise architect, although the tool has since been sold and the company changed. The IBM tool offers certain customization features which are not found in Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, although I can live with what it has at the moment.

Since all the staff is already trained in Bizagi and find it easy to use, I do not wish to change this, but only to load all the processes from it to Sparx. This is my approach.

The Bizagi model is only for process. It is not an enterprise architect tool. Only Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, but not Bizagi, allows one to make diagrams and metrics, to examine the relationship between all the elements.

Download our free Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.