JA
Director of Networks at Sellcom Solutions
A scalable solution that provides a great user experience

• "Aruba Wireless offers a good user experience."
  • "The network times for protocol synchronization can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services for clients, so it's always a different use case. For example, we work with a retailer and we focus on electronic tasks. Another is corporate offices in a bank, one of the biggest banks in Mexico. Another is massive events like the Olympics with different sponsors. There's a big difference in the type of use cases.

What is most valuable?

In the case of the contacts or the callers, Aruba Wireless offers a good user experience. For example, there are a lot of the contacts in the retail store, we are talking about 100,000 users connected at one time. After evaluation, Aruba Wireless was considered best for large numbers of users like this.

What needs improvement?

The network times for protocol synchronization can be improved. Sometimes it's complicated, and we need to tweak it to coordinate or synchronize it to the clock at the network access point.

I have some issues with the introductory domain with the frequency that we use. For example, it's very common to have a box with a frequency channel with the introductory domains in Mexico. The access points have some issues in this release; I think it's version eight.

Sometimes the documentation is confusing. You have to figure out a lot of different placements on your own because of the outdated information.

I have used Aruba Wireless for about five years.

Aruba Wireless seems to be very stable. I don't remember having any issues with stability.

Aruba Wireless is scalable. You can add more people. You can use the same configuration for 50 or 2,000, or 5,000 users.

Aruba Wireless technical support is too slow, or it used to be. For example, to test a domain in Mexico, they would spend about three months.

The initial setup is complicated because you have to modify many options, and you have to spend time handling those options, and sometimes you need attendants for these options.

We always evaluate options to see what's best. For example, sometimes, the ARM is more relative, and Aruba is more efficient than others. Cisco has the same functionality, but sometimes the main link will disconnect the users. You don't have that problem with Aruba Wireless.

What other advice do I have?

For those interesting in using Aruba Wireless, I would recommend taking a simplified approach to the license. They should analyze options relevant to their systems as it can get more complex. At this moment, there are a lot of licensing options.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Aruba Wireless a nine.

SM
Converged Services Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, good support, and scales well

• "Aruba Wireless is stable and we plan to continue using it in the future."
  • "Better integration with equipment from other vendors would ease the deployment process in some cases."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Aruba Wireless is one of the network products that we implement for our customers. We offer it to our clients to provide wireless and cloud services.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with equipment from other vendors would ease the deployment process in some cases. It is also helpful because certain vendors concentrate more heavily on a certain side of the industry. For example, one may focus on security but neglect availability. Being able to integrate gives a better overall solution.

Security is something that can be improved.

I have been working with Aruba Wireless for about two years. The company has more than 10 years of experience.

Aruba Wireless is stable and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support is good, although it sometimes depends on who it is that handles the case.

We deal with several wireless networking products from Aruba, Ruckus, and Brocade.

Sometimes, the initial setup is complex. For example, if I need to integrate with other vendors then there can be issues and we have to do a lot of work to solve these kinds of problems.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the size and density of the network. There are a lot of parameters that dictate how much time it takes, but the average for us is a three to four-day deployment.

We have a design team and a technical team who take care of the implementation and deployment. Most of the time, they consult with me if there's an issue with the design or they need more details. We provide a consulting service for this.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Aruba Wireless concerns the design stage. I suggest trying to design everything using a single vendor. Do not use a multivendor approach because you will have issues with integrating systems together.

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it.

Learn what your peers think about Aruba Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luiz Canario
Integration and Support Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution with useful features and good support

• "All features are useful for me. It lets me perform some specific configurations depending on the site or the client. All WAN features are valuable."
  • "Their documentation needs to be improved. Aruba's documentation is poor."

What is our primary use case?

We have about 30 APs and a lot of sites with centralized management on controller 7030. We use it to control the network in standalone mode and handle the active and standby modes.

What is most valuable?

All features are useful for me. It lets me perform some specific configurations depending on the site or the client. All WAN features are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Their documentation needs to be improved. Aruba's documentation is poor.

I have been using Aruba Wireless Controllers for about a year.

Its stability is okay. There is no issue with stability.

Its scalability is okay.

Their support is good. When I need to open a case, I get a fast response. I can contact the technician immediately. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

I also use Cisco solutions. Both solutions are very good and suitable for different kinds of networks. Cisco is very good for certain kinds of networks, and Aruba is good for other kinds. Cisco is simpler to deploy, whereas Aruba is more complicated and complex to deploy.

The initial setup was very complex because we deployed a new controller in a small network. It is useful for large networks, but for small networks, it is very difficult to understand all the models. If you don't use Mobility Master, the configuration and deployment are very complex. It took us six months to deploy it.

We got help from a third-party vendor, not Aruba. They were okay. We didn't have any problem.

What other advice do I have?

You should know about the topology of the Aruba Wireless solution. It is very important because it depends on the size of the network. Otherwise, you might end up buying something that's not adequate for large networks.

I would rate Aruba Wireless an eight out of ten.

Gary French
Network Administrator - Wireless at Abilene Christian
A solid solution with good access point management features and good technical support

• "I like the way it groups and manages access points."
  • "A lot of the access point commands are in the command line interface, versus being in the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to manage all of our wireless devices.

What is most valuable?

I like the way it groups and manages access points.

What needs improvement?

You have to use the command line for a lot of commands but then get back to the GUI for the main actions. A lot of the access point commands are in the command line interface, versus being in the GUI.

Some control systems have the ability to right-click to go to the common line. I would like to see that incorporated onto the interface.

I have been working with Aruba Wireless for three years.

I have almost 1,300 access points and on an average day, I have less than 1% down. I am usually sitting at 100%. This solution is stable.

This solution is very scalable.

The technical support is very good and I haven't had any issues with them. They were pretty responsive.

They had their wireless in place for eight years and I have been here for three. I wasn't a part of the initial decision-making process.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It only takes a few minutes to deploy. I would say that it is about as long as it takes to reboot the access point.

The pricing is reasonable. If you compare it to other solutions then it's reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I think that Aruba Wireless is a great option. I hardly ever have problems with access points and the failover mechanism works well.

Overall, It's a good solid system.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

SG
VP at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
An inexpensive option from a leader in the field with 24/7 support from the USA

• "The technical support is 24/7 from the UA."
  • "The fact that Aruba Wireless has a virtual controller onboard the internet access points makes it cheaper than other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using different versions depending on the customer. We have about 400 or 500 customers. Some of them are Aruba, some of them have other technologies. Different versions are deployed all over. We use it as a wireless device manager where appropriate.

What is most valuable?

There are only so many features in Wireless controllers. The fact that Aruba has a virtual controller onboard the internet access points makes it cheaper than to buy Aruba Central licenses or Meraki Cloud licenses. That probably makes it most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Aruba Wireless is among the leaders in the market. We are not talking about basic access points. As a leader, they keep ahead of the field.

We have been using it for a year-and-a-half.

The stability is very good.

It is very scalable.

The technical support is good. My impression is that pre-sale support is very good with Aruba. Their global presence is important. I do not have to deal with any other technical support because they have a follow-the-sun type of system that uses different support teams. When I ask for support, we get it and we get it during regular business hours. I never phoned anywhere else but the North American team. They are good and responsive.

Installation is pretty straight forward.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Aruba wireless eight-out-of-ten. Nobody would get a ten.

NG
    Network Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Straightforward to set up, good stability, and the client match feature is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is the client match."
    • "Improvements to the GUI, such as being able to search in the Mobility Master, would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

I am a system integrator and Aruba Wireless is one of the network infrastructure products that I have experience with. We have customers using versions all the way from AP-100 to AP-535.

We have these devices in many industries, with a focus on educational institutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the client match. This feature continually monitors the client and provides automatic load-balancing, as well as other advanced features.

What needs improvement?

Improvements to the GUI, such as being able to search in the Mobility Master, would be nice. It is hard to find and provision APs when you have a substantial install base.

I have been using Aruba Wireless since 2007.

The stability has been great.

We haven't had any trouble with scalability. 75% of our clients are using Aruba Wireless.

I have a lot of experience with wireless networking products from Aruba and Juniper. I also have some experience with Ruckus.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and the deployment is quick. With our experience, it is pretty easy to do.

We integrate Aruba Wireless and other devices for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Aruba Wireless is to try it. If you try it then you're going to like it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

ET
    Team Leader Network and Communications at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A user-friendly solution to manage a wireless network

• "I really like the user interface."
    • "Better integration between the controller and the ClearPass portal would be a nice change."

What is our primary use case?

We use Aruba Wireless strictly for corporate use. Within our company, there are slightly over 100 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

I really like the user interface.

What needs improvement?

Better integration between the controller and the ClearPass portal would be a nice change. Currently, they're separated, but if they could be combined and managed in one portal it would be much better.

I have been using Aruba Wireless for three years.

We have been experiencing some scalability and stability issues on our Apple devices.

There are a lot of competing solutions on the market. I think Aruba should lower their prices.

What other advice do I have?

Aruba Wireless is a very good solution. Should you choose this solution, be sure to start from the beginning and learn as much as you can. This way, you will have a better understanding of its uses — how to navigate and use it properly.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. I can't give it a higher rating because of the issues we have experience with our Macintosh devices.

MichaelZhang
    IT Director at Guangdong Technion Institute of Technology
    A powerful solution with efficient support yet requires seasoned IT staff to master

• "It's a very stable system."
    • "Not cost-effective."

What is our primary use case?

In this University, Wi-Fi is essential to the daily operations, from teaching, learning by staff and students to research by researchers. In recent two years, it contributes to our smart campus objectives, bridging IoT devices in multiple projects.

How has it helped my organization?

With the powerful feature in ClearPass, AirWave, MM and other subsystems, this centrally managed Wi-Fi solution offers the University members and guests a unified user experience, enabling IT staff to administer all component, particularly in search of a technical issue.

What is most valuable?

The ClearPass admin console provides an easy operating interface for checking every user's authentication steps, which is pretty useful to identify the root cause of an authentication issue. Also, the self-service portal allows end-users to manage their registered devices.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps Aruba should publish some best practices for deploying its solution in different industries.

Aruba Wi-Fi solution has been a good partner in my University since 2017.

A very powerful Wi-Fi system.

They provide very efficient support.

Aruba solution is not cheap.

Product Categories
    Wireless LAN
    Download our free Aruba Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.