Aruba Wireless Overview

Aruba Wireless is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN: Aruba Wireless vs Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN

What is Aruba Wireless?
Aruba deliver superb Wireless performance and multi-user MIMO aware ClientMatch to boost network efficiency and support the growing device density and app demands on your network.

Aruba Wireless is also known as Aruba WLAN, HP WLAN, HP Wireless, Aruba Instant On AP Series Access Point.

Aruba Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Aruba Wireless Customers
Consulate Health Care, Los Angeles Unified School District, Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), San Diego State University, KFC, ACTS Retirement-Life Communities
Aruba Wireless Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aruba Wireless pricing:
  • "Aruba is probably cheaper than Cisco, and yet you get all the things that you want."
  • "Get multiple bids/quotes, and talk to the representatives about the limitations of the product; pretty standard."
  • "Aruba is comparable to competing solutions when it comes to price."
  • "The support pricing for Juniper Mist is higher than Aruba."
  • "The access points are more cost-effective over some other providers, both in cost per AP and the option of a controller-less environment."

MB
reviewer1312101
Network and Security Consultant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 22, 2020
Overall a good product that provides role-based authentication native to the controller, but has code stability issues

What is our primary use case?

We run a number of guest wireless networks with captive portals with layer 3 networks. We run .1x for corporate SSIDs or wireless networks for additional certificate-based and/or WPA2 security.

• "Aruba is an industry leader. The hardware is on par, and its performance is also on par with anybody else. The Aruba brand really only focuses on wireless, so they're not competing their R&D for switching data center products and cloud security. They're really focused on that and their underlying key pieces. They provide a role-based authentication that is native to the controller. A lot of other systems don't do that. They won't provide you the ability to basically have everybody join the network, regardless of whether or not they share the same network space, the SSID, or the wireless LAN. You can segment it down to a specific user role based on any kind of attributes that you like. That's their differentiator. If you need per user, per device, or per port segmentation, you can get that with Aruba. There isn't another vendor who does it."
  • "Currently, the stability of the code is the basic underlying problem for us. They had an 8.6 release that came out two weeks ago, but we had to migrate twice because the code wasn't stable. We can't get things to work the same way. Version 8 was a big change for them. They made a change so that it is forced to be a managed hierarchical system. It means that you make changes at the top, and it pushes them downstream. There are a lot of problems with the 8.6 version code. I ran into four bugs in one week and was informed that we should just move onto the next one because all of those fixes have taken place. The feedback loop for fixes is not always really relayed back to you. I don't have a lot of strong things to say about version 8.6. When we had version 6, the controller was pretty much rock solid. We had no problems. We made a heavy investment to migrate a lot of stuff to take advantage of things like WPA3, Wi-Fi 6, and all that kind of stuff, and we haven't been able to turn those features on because we are not confident that they are going to work just yet. So, right now, we're still very much stumbling through the version 8.6 code and just trying to make sure that it is safe before we turn on some of those features. In terms of the marketplace, they are one of the top three leaders. In some respects, one of the things that they focus on is wireless. Therefore, there are some things that should be beyond reproach, as far as I'm concerned. In terms of the stability of the code, there are always going to be bugs, but the core stability of the code needs to be there. When it is not stable, that's a real problem for me because you lose a lot of confidence in the products."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Aruba Wireless, but it depends on the size and the scope. If you are a large-scale enterprise, you are going to need to deploy something large. If you are a big university or something, you are going to have to pick one of the big three, which, in this case, is going to be Cisco, Aruba, or Juniper. Juniper's Mist is a recent addition that is hugely popular right now because of a lot of the stuff it does in the cloud. They are all cloud-based controllers, and they integrate machine learning into all of your analytics to give you data. I think that Aruba Wireless is a good…
ML
reviewer1089651
Senior Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 15, 2020
A reliable, mature solution for scalable implementation of access points

What is our primary use case?

Aruba is moving to the cloud platform model. We are presenting solutions using Aruba Central to clients for the management of their infrastructure. The majority of the implementations we have are still currently are on-premises. Customers now are slowly implementing cloud solutions for Aruba. We have 80% on-premises and 20% migrating to the cloud version of the solution. With Aruba Central, we can manage controllers, EAPs (Employee Assistance Programs), switches, et cetera. Everything in one place. So we can manage anything we need to using Aruba. Aruba on-premises wireless is something we use… more »

• "The technical support is very good."
  • "It is easy to install and deploy."
  • "There is a lot of information for users about the product, but it needs to be better organized so that solutions are easier to find."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to a customer that wants to implement this product is that they must have good support from a product partner. Try to find a certified partner to do the job of planning and implementation. This should be a certified HP partner to do the job as Aruba is an HP company. Choose the right partner, the right technical guy, and the right company to implement the solution for you. It will make sure you have the solution deployed in the way you need it to be done to fit your needs and expectations. That is the most important thing that I can think of. On a scale from one to ten…
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.
D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Sep 21, 2020
Some of the implementations or features do work as advertised. Urgent areas of improvement would be customer support, better tuned default settings, and documentation.

What is our primary use case?

Using this solution district-wide in all of our secondary buildings. We have over 1000 IAP-225 APs deployed, along with ClearPass.

• "It has an aesthetically pleasing GUI for configuration."
  • "The urgent areas of improvement would be customer support, better tuned default settings, and documentation."

What other advice do I have?

Honestly, and simply put, I would look elsewhere. I feel this company falls short on its promises, has been a pain to work with, and the product I feel is inferior to its many competitors. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype; it's a fair product but it's not everything they promise.
DM
reviewer1383753
Sr IT Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 25, 2020
Versatile as a solution but lacks comprehensive testing for upgrades and issues can be expected

What is our primary use case?

The primary use we have for the product is for users' corporate mobile access.

• "The most valuable feature is the fact that it can work with many devices. It supports everything that we need it to."
  • "Aruba Wireless is easily scaled between a lot of devices and a lot of endpoints. When we decided to use it as our solution, we had planned to use it exactly for its ability to scale."
  • "The upgrades tend to be buggy and better testing is needed before they are released."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to others who are looking into implementing Aruba starts with that it is a good product. It has some really good features. But the other reality is that you might need to be prepared to face some hiccups with any upgrades and with the setup. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Aruba Wireless solution as a seven-point-five out of ten. Because of the upgrade issues and the persistence of those, I would rate it a seven.
HA
Huthaisa Al Saaideh
Network Infrastructure Engineer at KAIZNE
MSP
Oct 18, 2020
Easily manages of all your wireless devices

What is our primary use case?

I have worked with versions 2.207 and 3.303 and 305. Because I am the service provider for my customers, I've worked with Ruckus, Aruba, Cisco, and UniFi. Most of my customers ask for new wireless solutions. Last week I installed 37 access points. My customers are very satisfied.

• "I have not experienced any bugs, software, or hardware issues with Aruba."
  • "Most of the access points don't include the chargers."

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing is the heat map; you need to have a good heat map and make sure it's configured correctly with Aruba. If you don't have a heat map, you may have issues. Here in Jordan, some providers will go to a company that requires 10 access points and tell them they only need five. In reality, they just want the job and the client. Then, after everything is said and done, the client complains about the five access points not covering the whole area. Some preparation is required before you can get started with Aruba. The total amount of power needed for the access points needs to…
MarcoPiazzalunga
Networking Solution Architect at ALE
May 26, 2019
Reliable for Many Years as a Wireless Connection for Our Office and Guest Users

What is our primary use case?

We have used Aruba Wireless, with an Alcatel-Lucent logo, as the wireless connection for our office and guest users for nine to ten years.

• "The most valuable feature of Aruba Wireless is application monitoring."
  • "For a more senior tool, a local application monitoring related to IoT vendors would be useful."

What other advice do I have?

Aruba Wireless is very expensive. They changed a lot of models in the last two years. The cost has increased quite a lot in my local area. Other than costs, it depends on whether you have a discount on the license. Aruba Wireless changed all of the portal payments a couple of years ago. This created some issues. On a scale of one to 10, I would rate the product with an eight.
ED
reviewer1273800
Infrastructure Manager at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Oct 7, 2020
It works as a solution but needs to be more competitive with emerging products

What is our primary use case?

Aruba was our primary wireless solution until very recently.

• "There is no problem with downtime."
  • "Aruba needs to be more competitive with newer products. Their legacy makes that more difficult for them."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to someone considering Aruba as a wireless solution would be to look into the Aruba Central cloud solution that they are offering right now. I think we are at a time of brand control that needs to be managed and needs to be supported. I think that working with a cloud-based solution is a better option than on-premises solutions. I think what is more important than a particular tool is that you also have the depth of wireless knowledge to really be able to competently manage such environments. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best)…
Shrijendra Shakya
C.T.O at Sastra Network Solution Inc. Pvt. Ltd.
Feb 8, 2021
Enhances network visibility, easy to implement and manage, good reporting

What is our primary use case?

This solution has been deployed for an enterprise environment with 105 Apps and controllers in HA for a government entity handling the user capacity of 1500 people. Multiple SSIDs have been broadcasted with independent VLANs and user policy has been implemented. The controllers are in HA. Both indoor and outdoor APs have been used in the environment. The solution has been differentiated for Guests, Employees, and an unrestricted group. The APs have been deployed across 10 multistory buildings in high interference zones.

• "The Airwave is the best feature for a single management point for all APs in the environment."
  • "The Help option within the GUI needs to be improved."
See 11 more Aruba Wireless Reviews