Jon Hansen
Solutions Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
It works and has good scalability and support

• "In general, being able to patch and not having to pay for SanDisk is the best thing about hyper-converged."
  • "We had a few problems with the foundation machine that you can use to build your systems out. We've got it working now, but it should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for virtual machine workloads on Application servers. We want to use it for disaster recovery and the way they replicate between sites. It has already got these features, but we just haven't implemented or tested them yet.

How has it helped my organization?

We have just put it in, so I can't say anything about that yet.

What is most valuable?

In general, being able to patch and not having to pay for SanDisk is the best thing about hyper-converged.

What needs improvement?

We had a few problems with the foundation machine that you can use to build your systems out. We've got it working now, but it should be improved.

I have been using this solution for two weeks.

It is stable so far. It is pretty new, and there are no issues.

It is scalable. I can add or take nodes away really easily. We did that, and it works great.

It is only two weeks old, and there are probably hundreds of people using it.

They are very good. They know what they're doing. I would rate them a nine out of ten. We had a couple of different guys trying to help get us set up. One said one thing, and the other one said another thing. Neither of them was wrong, but they weren't on the same page. That's why they don't get a 10 out of 10.

We did not use any hyper-converged solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. Nutanix pretty much brings somebody along for the foundation of your system, which makes it really nice. This is one of the features we liked in Nutanix.

Its price is fine. I can't really complain about that.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at the network requirements for the solution. It tells you a lot about the efficiency of it.

I'd give it a nine out of ten because it works. It does what they say it does. It is hard to get a 10 out of 10 for me, but it is a pretty good solution. If I rated other companies I've worked with, they'd get sevens or sixes. I like Nutanix. They're doing a good job.

AJ
Executive Vice President with 201-500 employees
Very resilient for failures with ability to create multiple VMs; lacks ability to increase storage

• "Ability to create multiple VMs."
  • "Limits on increasing space with the inability to have or attach external storage."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple verticals in our company and each has its own ERP applications that are business critical and mission critical. Our company is based in India, we are customers of Nutanix and I'm the executive vice president.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix has given me an opportunity to create multiple VMs and it's really very resilient for failures. Even if there is a single node failure, the VM gets migrated automatically to the healthy node. I can also take any number of snapshots and restore them at any point in time. The solution offers cloning and it's very simple to create a clone of any server. These are the great features of Nutanix. In addition, it's user-friendly, and in contrast with some solutions, you don't need to know about the technology. Anyone knowing the basics of VMware or hypervisor can start creating VMware, adding the server, and deploying it on the go within a few hours.

What needs improvement?

The problem with Nutanix is you cannot have or attach external storage so there are some limitations when it comes to increasing space. If you have a three-node cluster and want to increase storage, you have to add one more cluster. I can't attach an iSCSI drive as a solution. I'm hoping that the AOS 6 version will have plenty of improvements.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

There is a limitation on scalability. If you have four nodes and want to expand you can't. You have to buy another 3-node Nutanix box.

Technical support is excellent. If there is a critical issue, they get back to you within an hour.

Deployment is pretty easy because once the hypervisor is loaded, the Nutanix team carries out the deployment. Once you have the prism of the queue, then it becomes very easy to work on the Nutanix box.

Pricing could be improved especially with the effects of the pandemic, where the IT sector is not doing so well. Nutanix is relatively new to the industry and if they want to promote it they will need to reduce the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anatoliy Kostin
Virtualization, Data Center, Networks, Linux System Administration at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Building a beautiful, empathetic and intuitive product is core to this platform

• "In the world of IT operations, there is a lot of noise. Traditionally, systems would generate a great deal of alerts, events, and notifications, often leading to the operator either a) not seeing critical alerts since they are lost in the noise or b) disregarding the alerts/events."
  • "Performing a Nutanix software upgrade is a very simple and non-disruptive process."
  • "Nutanix should improve AHV to support migration VMs between clusters and storage containers. Migration between containers is possible, but it requires shutting down the VM. The procedure is long and there is no migration between clusters at all."

What is our primary use case?

AOS is one of the most important parts of the Nutanix HCI solution. AOS provides a few main features - managing VMs (Hypervisor), one managing interface (Prism), distributed storage fabric with software-defined features instead of hardware implementations such as RAID.

Over the years, the Nutanix Platform capability set and services have grown substantially. Over the years, this has evolved to simplify and abstract virtualization, automated upgrades and operations, and much more.

How has it helped my organization?

We deployed Nutanix three years ago and now we see all benefits of AOS. It doesn't require a lot of engineers for managing the virtualization environment. We see a nice reduction of using storage resources. AOS can run any workloads such as business-critical DBs. Also, AOS provides great features for backup and DR.

AOS optimizes capacity utilization without hurting performance or resiliency by dynamically compressing, deduplicating, and erasure coding blocks of data based on potential capacity savings as well as application access patterns.

Building a beautiful, empathetic and intuitive product is core to the Nutanix platform and something we take very seriously.

What is most valuable?

• DSF with reduction techniques - more storage resources.
  • Resiliency - self-healing, handling a failure.
  • One manage interface - Prism. It's easy to use and monitor your workloads.

Monitoring:

• Anomaly Detection
  • In the world of IT operations, there is a lot of noise. Traditionally, systems would generate a great deal of alerts, events, and notifications, often leading to the operator either a) not seeing critical alerts since they are lost in the noise or b) disregarding the alerts/events.

Nutanix Software Upgrade:

• Performing a Nutanix software upgrade is a very simple and non-disruptive process.

What needs improvement?

By and large, I have nothing more to add, but if we talk about what I have listed, then these functions would greatly facilitate the operation of Nutanix HCI.

I hope they will fix this soon, although I have been waiting for this for a long time.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for three years.

VMware.

VMware vSAN.

Other
AT
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to deploy, very stable, and quite scalable

• "The ease of deployment is very good."
  • "The pricing of the solution is too high. It needs to be adjusted or lowered to be more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

The solution actually has multiple use cases, including business critical infrastructure, VDL, and Database. The solution covers pretty much anything inside the software-defined data center.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The ease of deployment is very good.

What needs improvement?

I've been using a solution for about three years now.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. It doesn't freeze or crash. There aren't a lot of bugs or glitches that affect the functionality.

The solution is definitely scalable. A company that needs to expand can do so easily using Nutanix.

The solution works for all sizes of business - from small to large enterprises.

I've dealt with technical support in the past and I've found them to be excellent. I would say they are one of the best in the industry in terms of the experience we've had.

I've used other solutions in the past. The main difference between Nutanix and others is that its architecture is superior.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward.

How long deployment takes depends on the number of nodes and the type of deployment that you're doing. How long it takes is a bit of a strain, really. A simple deployment might take a couple of days.

The solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Nutanix. We're a reseller and services partner.

I'd advise other companies considering the solution to do your research fully and make sure it's going to fit what you need it to do before jumping in.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. Their continuation of integration into all the supporting infrastructure is great. It's just about making sure that they got all the accreditations with backup and replication software and the antivirus. If they had an even wider ecosystem that supported additional products I'd rate them higher.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, reseller
Pramod Nandgoule
IT Project Manager at United Conveyor Corporation
A stable and stable solution which is easy to set up and allows for real-time hardware changes

• "A great feature involves real-time hardware changes."
  • "USB dongle-based licenses do not allow us to directly locate the USB ports on Nutanix."

What is our primary use case?

The solution allows us to make use of high IOPS requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to go with a traditional architecture, storage and server. Now, with Nutanix, we have 30,000 IOPS, up from 1,000.

What is most valuable?

A great feature involves real-time hardware changes. There is no need to shut down any VM during the hardware changes.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not lend support when we connect with a few dongle licenses. There is a need to make use of certain third-party USB switches through which we can have USB access. USB dongle-based licenses do not allow us to directly locate the USB ports on Nutanix. Other than this, I have no complaints.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for the last four years.

The solution is certainly stable.

The solution is scalable.

I do not recall contacting Nutanix's support within the past four years. Nutanix sends us daily alerts and messages. A year-and-a-half ago I encountered a RAM failure, but there was no need for me to log a case with Nutanix, as the call was automatically logged and an engineer was sent to deal with the problem.

We previously made use of Scale Computing and HPE SimpliVity.

The initial setup was quick. Previously, the operations involved three days of downtime but, with the solution, the initial migration from traditional architecture to Nutanix lasted three hours, instead of three days. It was so much quicker.

We handled the implementation on our own.

The pricing is quite good in comparison with HPE SimpliVity, Nutanix Scale, and even traditional architecture. We found Nutanix's pricing to be the best. We did not incur license fees as we did with HPE Simplivity's VMware licenses, so this kept the costs down.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS as a nine out of ten.

VP
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Good lifecycle management functionality and technical support, but many features need improvement

• "Nutanix does a superb job with technical support."
  • "It's lacking in some features but overcompensating in others."

What is our primary use case?

We have had customers who wanted new hardware and new software with a certain price point in mind, and didn't want to pay the VMware licensing. We switched them to Nutanix Acropolis.

What is most valuable?

Our clients like several features including the micro-segmentation flow, the one-page management through Prism, and the LCM (Life Cycle Management) that Prism offers.

What needs improvement?

There are several features that need improvement. Some of the areas are:

• The Nutanix flow is only for micro-segmentation functionality.
  • It doesn't integrate with their cloud solution.
  • It's only for on-premises, even though they have micro-segmentation, it doesn't extend it through the cloud.
  • It (Flow) doesn't work with the XI frame.
  • Life Cycle Management is very simplistic for the HPE DX.
  • Some of the applications are not supported yet.

We have to look at the ecosystem that Nutanix is trying to create. It's lacking in some features but overcompensating in others. They are trying to be holistic, but they have a lot to catch up on when it comes to VMware. For example, they only support Citrix, and if you run Nutanix Acropolis you can't run VMware Horizon. There are limitations and the Kubernetes solution is limited.

I have been dealing with Nutanix Acropolis for quite a while. I have many certifications with Nutanix.

This solution is stable.

The scalability is fine, as it is advertised, but I can't attest to any performance indicators because I haven't stress-tested it.

Nutanix does a superb job with technical support. Technicians who work your case answer their phones.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good alternative, but it doesn't have all of the features. It's not on par with VMware but it is a potential alternative. It's similar to comparing Apple to Oranges.

If you are invested in the infrastructure and that is what you have to consider, but it's not easy. Overall, it's good software.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
CM
Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Scalable. easy to install, and simple to use

• "I have found the solution to be stable."
  • "It would be ideal if it was more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our hyper-converged infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

The product is quite scalable.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The product is very easy to install.

What needs improvement?

I haven't used the solution for that long and therefore don't really have any deep knowledge about it.

It would be ideal if it was more secure.

I've worked with the solution for six months.

The stability of the product is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the product is very good. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so.

We only have two teams that use the solution in general.

I've never contacted technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are, having never worked with them directly.

I did not previously use a different hyper-converged solution before Nutanix.

In terms of the implementation process, the process is pretty simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with it.

I didn't have too much exposure to the setup, however, my understanding was that the deployment didn't take long, and it only takes less than half an hour for a single node.

For us, it required two managers and eight engineers in one team to handle the deployment.

I can't speak to the pricing aspect of the solution. I was not exposed to that part of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are an end-user of the product.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using currently.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

It is great. Some of my colleagues have been permanently glued to Nutanix. I would recommend the solution to people who are interested in networking-related products.

Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to deploy, and quick to implement

• "Technical support is okay."
  • "In Thailand, there really isn't a cloud version of Nutanx available to us."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly provide the solution to our clients as a virtual server.

What is most valuable?

Many clients use the solution in order to move the data center in-house or to a data center in the entity itself. It helps them reduce their footprint.

The solution is stable.

It's scalable. It's software-defined storage.

The initial setup is very easy and the implementation happens quickly.

Technical support is okay.

What needs improvement?

In Thailand, there really isn't a cloud version of Nutanx available to us. I'd like to see the cloud come to the country, and I'd like to try using it.

The solution entered Thailand around six years ago, which is when we adopted it.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

At the time I have about ten users on the solution.

Technical support has been okay. We don't have any complaints, as the solution is working quite well overall.

The initial installation is straightforward. That said, for the first time, there may be some instruction needed, and some prep work so that you understand what's going on. However, for a new installation, it's quite easy and not overly complex.

The deployment is quick. It doesn't take more than two hours. That includes the hardware installation, not just setup and configuration.

We just need one person (an engineer) to perform maintenance tasks.

We're integrators. We're able to help our clients implement the solution.

Typically, clients pay a yearly license fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are an integrator.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities overall.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.