Nutanix Acropolis AOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: Nutanix Acropolis AOS vs VMware vSAN

What is Nutanix Acropolis AOS?

Nutanix delivers invisible infrastructure for next-generation enterprise computing, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. Nutanix’s software-driven Xtreme Computing Platform natively converges compute, virtualization and storage into a single solution to drive simplicity in the datacenter. Using Nutanix, customers benefit from predictable performance, linear scalability and cloud-like infrastructure consumption.

For more information visit: www.nutanix.com

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is also known as Nutanix AOS, Nutanix Acropolis.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix Acropolis AOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Customers

St. Lukes Health System, the City of Seattle, Yahoo! Japan, Sligro, Empire Life, Hyundai AUS, and many others.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Acropolis AOS pricing:
  • "The pricing of Nutanix is not cheap but there are options available."

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Reviews

Samuel Rothenbuehler
CTO Enterprise Cloud at Amanox Solutions (S&T Group)
Top 5Popular
What you might not know about Nutanix that makes it so unique

What is our primary use case?

As a systems integrator we use Nutanix on a daily basis since 2013 as out main, strategic and only infrastructure solution for virtualization and it's related storage component. We can offer most use cases today on Nutanix including VDI, server virtualization, big data and mission critical.

• "Nutanix has several unique capabilities to ensure linear scalability."
  • "There is a need is to be able to consume Nutanix storage from outside the cluster for other, non-Nutanix workloads."
reviewer1439442
Associate Engineer at Secure Meters Limited
Reduces space and power consumption

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix Acropolis AOS for the high availability that we get with it. The platform's extremely stable and other nice things that we like about it is that if we have to move the server or anything, it's not a lot to move and power consumption is a big thing for us as well. My primary use case of this solution is that it helped me solve all of my use cases. I can create an integrative private cloud in a data center, create a hybrid cloud, public cloud, and near-site data recording. For example, there are lots of sites that do not have the data there so I can create data because Nutanix… more »

• "I definitely find the reduced power consumption very valuable. Another aspect I really like, when one compares Citrix to VMware, is the interface where you talk directly to your VM from the present software."
  • "As of now, Acropolis and VMware cannot talk to each other. Until we have some kind of interface, it would be much better for Nutanix if they built an interface that can talk. Otherwise, if I have a VMware stack and I already have a Nutanix stack, I can create containers, I create clusters on VMware, I create clusters on Nutanix."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Steffen Hornung
Administrator at Neuberger Gebäudeautomation GmbH
Easy to manage in an integrated environment using a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We replaced our three-tier-solution with Nutanix and kept our VMware ESXi licenses. We use it for general virtualization, host our Windows fileserver virtually, and do VirtualDesktops with Citrix there. We have two nodes equipped with one nVidia M10-GPU each to get 3D-acceleration to boost the CAE-Terminal servers. This means that VMs like AD-Domain controllers, Exchange-Servers, SQL-Servers, and various Application Servers are running side-by-side with our SAP-Systems leveraging the SAP ASE Database (no HANA, yet) virtually on vSphere 6.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration of all parts in Prism Element, the browser-based management tool."
  • "I would enjoy an advanced mode where experienced users can leverage their knowledge to do advanced things currently only allowed using the command line tools on the CVM."

What other advice do I have?

It is difficult for me to point to areas that need improvement. AOS is constantly on the move to new heights. It is considered even on a feature-level with vSAN, while far ahead of that in regards to performance and resilience. See Nutanix Principal Architect Josh Odgers CloudXC | By Josh Odgers – VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX) #90 for a detailed explanation on that topic.
AB
Manager, Operations at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great for scaling, and good value in terms of services provided, however difficult to set up

What is our primary use case?

I won't be able to disclose anything with regards to our client's contractual agreements in terms of what we have done or not, at their premises, or even if it's on the hybrid model. I'm not even allowed to disclose the name of our clients without their prior approval, so I can't really get into primary use cases.

• "One of the most valuable features is that it can be applied at any scale."
  • "Some clients find the solution's cost to be too high."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice I could give to those considering the solution, I'll say this: it all depends on what they're looking for and what their ultimate objectives are. They need to clarify that internally before landing on Nutanix. At the same time, anyone going for hyper-converged should do so, as it's the future. Once a company decides on a solution like Nutanix, they expect to reap the benefits. Even before going with their decision, they need to know what it offers and how it will work to help them achieve their goals. At the end of the day, it's all about our clients being more effective and…
JB
Consulting Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Everything is core centralized; it's a significant cost saver for those not leveraging a hypervisor

What is our primary use case?

We deliver a lot of different solutions on various platforms, including different HCI solutions and solutions like Nutanix and Cisco HyperFlex and NetApps, later HCI mile. Most of them have been on Nutanix and on Cisco HyperFlex and as well as VxRack. Our primary use case has of Nutanix has been for virtualization consolidation. We are partners and resellers of Nutanix and I'm a consulting solutions architect.

• "Everything is core centralized on the UI."
  • "Could have better visibility with the main OEM backup integrators."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest thing that I've seen has been the backup and recovery which has been challenging for them over the past couple of years. They partnered with Beam and with Rubrik and Cohesity. They had their OEM go-to's, but didn't initially deliver a very good story for application integration for backup and recovery where they had good copy data management. Most of the OEMs are very good at backing up single clusters for local backup and recovery. That said, whenever true disaster recovery was needed and you're leveraging multiple Nutanix missions site to site, there wasn't the visibility of…
reviewer1439661
Systems Administrator at U.S. Naval War College
Improved our datacenter in the way of availability, scalability, and speed

What is our primary use case?

We have moved to Nutanix AOS as our one-stop hyper-converged solution for VDI and Virtual Servers. We have implemented Nutanix AOS in all our domains to replace old architecture. Before Nutanix, we used a mixed environment of HP Blades, Dell "Pizza Box" servers, a combination of local and shared storage, and a mess of networking hardware to make it all work. Now with Nutanix AOS and cluster, this has simplified everything from standard operating procedures to modification and scalability. Now our new Standard Operating Procedures are much more "Standardized."

• "One-Click Upgrade and Foundation is the most valuable feature. One-Click Upgrade makes upgrades and LCM a breeze. Prior to Nutanix One-Click Upgrade, upgrades and LCM were overly cumbersome and time-consuming. Foundation provides an easy, yet very structured, approach to cluster modification (adding or removing nodes)."
  • "The One-Click Upgrade process could/should offer the ability to integrate with 3rd party drivers. For example, we use NVIDIA Grid graphics cards. It would be amazing if, during the One-Click Upgrade process, we could "slipstream" additional VIB drivers for ESXi into the upgrade process."

What other advice do I have?

Way to go Nutanix. Keep up the great work. We look forward to a very long term relationship.
mikkisse
Chief IT Engineer at a cloud provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to expand, managed from a single interface, and the lifecycle manager saves us a lot of time

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Nutanix is removing the classic 3-tier architecture and switching to hyper-convergence. Migrating from the 3-tier architecture to HCI helped us to free up rack space, remove the old hardware, and run systems on the new platform. There was a four-rack, and now there are ten units of hardware. It's really cool and fantastic. It is now managed from one interface, covered by technical support and it's homogenous. If you need to expand a cluster or storage then all you need is just add new nodes. You don't need to buy new storage, you don't need to expand your SAN, and so… more »

• "We really love the Lifecycle manager and one-click upgrades."
  • "There is a lot of functionality in Prism Central, but sometimes you want to see those features in Prism Element."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that deduplication and compression can save money, so use it.
Mohamed-Mostafa
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Amazing Software-defined HCI solution that perfectly fits customers' business & security needs.

What is our primary use case?

I meet many customers on a weekly basis and there has been always one common question in almost every meeting. Which HCI Solution is the Best for me? in order to be able to answer this question, I had studied many HCI solutions in the Market and deeply analyzed the Pros & Cons of all major solutions.

• "It is 100% stable. It's the most stable infrastructure that we have."
  • "There is room to enhance the micro-segmentation."

What other advice do I have?

Always go for AHV Option because VMware is costly, especially if you're considering not only the hypervisor cost but considering vRealize Operations, Automation and NSX on top. Nutanix will help you to wave out the hypervisor TAX which is not less than 20 % of any infrastructure initial setup cost
See 22 more Nutanix Acropolis AOS Reviews
Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.