Oracle Database Overview

Oracle Database is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: Oracle Database vs SQL Server

What is Oracle Database?

Oracle Database 12c introduces a new multitenant architecture that makes it easy to consolidate many databases quickly and manage them as a cloud service. Oracle Database 12c also includes in-memory data processing capabilities for breakthrough analytical performance. Additional database innovations deliver new levels of efficiency, performance, security, and availability. Oracle Database 12c comes in two editions to fit your business needs and budget: Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition 2.

For more information on Oracle RDBMS, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Database is also known as Oracle 12c, RDBMS.

Oracle Database Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Oracle Database Customers
Agncia Nacional de guas, Anbima, Aria Systems, Asiana Airlines, Astelit LLC, Australian Finance Group, Banco Occidental de Descuento, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, BT, Caja de Seguros S.A., Casas GEO S.A.B. de C.V., Comic Relief UK, Corsair Components Inc., CSAM Health AS, CSOB Group, Datacraft Solutions, DenizBank A.S., Department of Treasury and Finance WA, Office of State Revenue, Deutsche B_rse AG, Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Deutsche Messe AG, Digicel Haiti, DPR COSEA, Essar Group, Essatto Software Pty Ltd, Farmšcia e Drogaria Nissei Ltda., Fomento Econ‹mico Mexicano S.A.B. de C.V. (FEMSA), FundaÊo Petrobras de Seguridade Social, Future Group, GFKL Financial Services AG, Grupo Posadas S.A.B. de C.V., Grupo Sinosserra, Guerra S.A. Implementos Rodovišrios, Hanatour International Service, Hays plc, Henan Mobile Co. Ltd, Hochschule Hof, Hong Kong and China Technology (Wuhan) Co. Ltd (Towngas Technology), Industries Corpa_al C.A., Infrastructure Development Finance Company Limited, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatstica, Instituto Mexicano de la Propiedad Industrial, Kcell, LinkShare Corporation, MercadoLibre Inc., MetLife Inc., Nextgen Distribution, €BB-IKT GmbH, Octagon Research Solutions, Pacific Lutheran University, Paragon Data GmbH, Ping ltd., PJSC Trustbank, Prodaub _ Processamento de Dados de Uberl_ndia, Purdue University, Redknee Inc., Robi Axiata Limited, Shanghai Infoservice Technology Co. Ltd, Shanghai Sihua Technologies Co. Ltd, Sistema de Aguas de la Ciudad de M_xico, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, Suddenlink Communications, Suprajit Engineering Limited, Tallink Grupp, Terminales Ro de la Plata S.A., Therap Services LLC, Think Passenger Inc., Trafigura, Transmed S.A.L Lebanon, ValeShop, VelQuest Corporation, Vodafone Group plc, West Virginia Network, WIND Hellas Telecommunications S.A
Oracle Database Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Database pricing:
  • "Our licensing costs are between $40,000 and $50,000 per year. Those are the costs that cover maintenance and licensing."
  • "The pricing is something that Oracle should work on to make the product more affordable, especially to businesses in third-world countries."
  • "Its price is already low. Oracle has a competitive and cheaper price as compared to others. Oracle Cloud is cheaper than other clouds. The pricing is very competitive for Oracle Cloud to be in the market. Their pricing makes customers interested in using this product even though Oracle doesn't have a local data center at this moment."

Oracle Database Reviews

Emmanuel Morka
Head, Database Administrators at Ecobank Transnational Incorporated
Jul 21, 2020
Very robust, ideal for companies that need mission-critical databases, and extremely mature

What is our primary use case?

We work with a bank and our core banking application sits on Oracle Database. Most of the applications in our ecosystem are all developed on Oracle RDBMS, so Oracle Database. They are all running mostly on Oracle Database. I'd estimate that 75-80% of our applications all run on Oracle Database in our environment.

• "The solution has very robust integrity due to how it is designed and implemented."
  • "The solution can be quite expensive for small and medium-sized enterprises. Not too many companies can actually afford the pricing."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we're using the 12c version fo the solution and we're migrating over to the 18c version soon. We're mostly using the on-premises versions, however, we're likely to migrate over to the cloud in the future. Having used other products, I can say that hands down Oracle DB is a fantastic product. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Craig Domanski
Infrastructure Manager at Lactanet
Jun 25, 2020
Reliable and robust with good support

What is our primary use case?

We work in agriculture, and where we're located we have two sites in two separate cities in Canada. These are all transactional databases and they have information in them about the dairy industry in our country. We use it for storing data related to dairy cows, dairy farmers, or farmers in general, and we have all the information in the transactional database that holds everything from billing to individual animal data. We probably have about 12 terabytes of data on the Oracle databases.

• "The reliability is the solution's most valuable feature. We've had great success with the solution."
  • "The main thing we find could use improvement is the licensing costs. It is quite expensive relative to other database vendors. Cost always comes up as an issue for us as we consider upgrade paths. It's not as easy as we would like it to be."

What other advice do I have?

We started using version 7 of Oracle, and now, after so many years on the product, we are up to version 12. We have six different main production databases that we use for various things. They're all on-premise. They either run in a Linux environment or IBM AIX Unix environment. And we also use a backup Oracle cloud for backing up some of those databases. The main advice I would give other organizations would be to prepare for the costs. Oracle is kind of more expensive than in most other database software. It's also important to have a good understanding of how Oracle works and the…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1384575
Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jul 26, 2020
Reliable solution that is transparent to the end users

What is our primary use case?

I am an end-user of the Oracle database. The only use of Oracle is the repository of the data. So from the end-user side, it is transparent. A database is a good database if it does not slow down production or data processing. That the database prevents data from being exposed to any malware or any malicious scripting is a good idea. Oracle has these capabilities.

• "It is a reliable database warehouse solution that is transparent to the end user."
  • "The pricing is the one sticking point for the solution because it is very expensive."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I have for other people considering this solution is that if they have money then they should go for it. We do not experience performance issues or trouble with throughput. It is probably a good idea to do some research for use in documentation which can be searched or located on the Internet. I think every company that is looking into creating value from their software assets, they have to do research or evaluation first on the Internet. They should be sure, before making an investment that the product fits their requirements, probably they will contact a distributor or supplier to…
Arief Gunawan
Product manager at Metrodata Electronics Tbk PT
Jul 20, 2020
Great for building disaster recovery systems, very stable, and offers good scalability

• "On-prem, Oracle is the number one database technology."
  • "Oracle needs to improve its cluster technologies. They need to improve in the cluster technology using ARC due to the fact that sometimes people think that they have a redundant server when they are using ARC with the cluster and think that will increase the performance. In reality, if they are using ii with a big workload, sometimes the performance is not increasing, and can sometimes actually impacts it in such a way that there's some degradation in the performance."

What other advice do I have?

We are an Oracle Platinum Partner. I'd first advise any company considering Oracle to learn the benefits first before they talk about the pricing. We like to do an assessment with the customer right away. The first thing we need to know is their pain points and basic requirement and also if they have a common problem in their system. I will judge that against the benefits of Oracle's technology, which is in the database. At the end of the day, if the features can solve your problem, then money comes as a secondary concern. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. There isn't a perfect solution…
Omar Al-Qaysie
Senior Chief Engineer at ministry of electricity
Jan 15, 2021
Reliable and stable with excellent features

What is our primary use case?

I use Oracle in two systems. The first one is called the Complaint Management System, and the second one was for Human Resources for the Ministry of Electricity in Iraq. The Complaint Management System is related to a call center. There is a call center responsible for writing down the complaints from the customers about their network electricity. If there is an error they reach out to us. There is an operator there writing down this complaint using his terminal. There are many different call centers in the country and all of them write up these complaints using the Oracle Database.

• "It is reliable. It's very stable."
  • "The solution can be quite expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a partnership or special business relationship with Oracle. I really enjoy using the solution. It is stable and reliable. It's more expensive than Microsoft's options, however, I personally prefer working with it. It's worth the extra money. Aside from stability issues and a certain level of complexity, it's quite a good solution. I would rate it eight out of ten.
Arief Gunawan
Product manager at Metrodata Electronics Tbk PT
Nov 18, 2020
Competitive pricing, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I have been using as well as selling Oracle Database from version 8 till version 19C. We have on-premises and cloud deployments. I am working on cloud-based solutions. We are introducing Oracle Cloud infrastructure to our internal sales teams to show that Oracle has an Oracle Cloud as well, and it is called Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.

• "The pricing is very competitive. Oracle is still the number one database company. From the technical aspects, Oracle Database is the best solution for small, medium, and big industries."
  • "I'm in Indonesia. From what I know, Ali Cloud has already built a center in Indonesia, and Google also has a data center in Indonesia. I have heard that Amazon will also build a data center in Indonesia, and the same will be with Azure if they deal with the Indonesian government. I'm quite appreciative of what Amazon has done by deciding to have a local data center. I expect Oracle to do the same, but Oracle doesn't seem to have plans to build a data center in Indonesia. This is something that needs to be improved. Oracle should follow all the other cloud providers who see a potential market in Indonesia. It would be better for Oracle to be equal to other cloud providers and have a data center in Indonesia so they can compete. Having a local data center means that they can avoid performance issues, the latency of the network, and all the things that are related to the network for internet-based solutions. Customers in Indonesia expect a local data center."

What other advice do I have?

It is the cloud era, so everyone is talking about cloud solutions. Oracle must improve its solution to be equal to other cloud providers. Oracle Cloud still has a data center out of Indonesia as compared to other competitors who already have a local data center in Indonesia. A provider with a local data center will be the best if you are using an internet-based product or a cloud-based solution. Customers will prefer a solution that has a local data center because it eliminates the problems related to the network and performance. If Oracle has a local data center, the only thing that a…
reviewer1279539
Systems Analyst at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 24, 2020
Robust, stable, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution for database purposes. We are maintaining the standard edition version and normally not on a very big scale.

• "We find technical support to be very responsive. They briefly describe everything on phone and we handle the operations. I'd say we've been more than satisfied with their level of service. They're quite helpful and knowledgeable."
  • "We don't really find that any features are lacking."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. I'd recommend it. It's very robust. It's scalable. On side of security, it's a very secure product. And support is available from Oracle via their local partners. We are already very satisfied with this product and I would recommend it to other users as well. I'd rate it eight out of ten.
reviewer1350867
Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 6, 2020
Good database with good processing and very good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for auditing purposes.

• "From a database product perspective, I would say, they're good in what they provide. There's not much concern."
  • "If their database encryption features could come in bytes, that would be a major improvement. They should bring the encryption model to their standard databases as well."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not reselling this product. I'm using this for designing my own product, and I'm giving it as a solution to my customer. If I need to work out pricing for my customer, there may be my own raw materials that come into play. The raw materials that come into play should be considered in order to make a better pricing model, which in turn can help me get a better solution for my clients. If the base product that you use is so expensive, like this is, it doesn't make sense. I would start looking at other products. That's what I'm doing. I need to better scale my capabilities. I'd recommend…
See 25 more Oracle Database Reviews