AD
Chief of Systems at a mining and metals company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable security, easy device install, and expandable infrastructure

• "Some of the valuable features of this solution are security, the controller is simple to configure, devices are easy to install, and we use the software to administrate all the APs."
  • "The integration with our CM and other technologies could improve this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our enterprise offices where some access points are installed.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features of this solution are security, the controller is simple to configure, devices are easy to install, and we use the software to administrate all the APs.

What needs improvement?

The integration with our CM and other technologies could improve this solution. If it could detect other networks better, when it comes to security, and have the ability to mark or block the suspicious activity when known would be a benefit and should be in an upcoming release.

I have been using the solution for 10 years.

There are a few issues initially with the stability but they were resolved quickly by Cisco.

The solution is scalable, it is easy to grow the infrastructure. We have approximately 10,000 uses using the solution.

The technical support is very quick in responding to our issues and returning a solution. Additionally, customer service was good, they provided us with some training on the solution.

We used HP products before we switched to Cisco. The reason we switched was that this solution was more secure, the price was better, it was easier to implement, and the integration with our infrastructure from LAN and WAN was superior.

The installation is easy.

We did not have any problem with the implementation of the solution it is straightforward. It took approximately one week. We do implementation ourselves but sometimes we use an integrator. We have approximately three engineers doing the maintenance of the solution.

The price of this solution is a little more than competitors.

We did evaluate Aruba, which is from HP, before choosing this solution. The main reason why Cisco is better is the security model. They are easy to configure and have better technology. However, they are not as cheap a solution compared to others. We are currently evaluating Cisco ISE and are using the demo.

What other advice do I have?

When we are opening up a new location we are going to continue using the solution. This solution is standard with our organization. Even though Cisco tends to be more costly than other solutions you get more than you pay for.

I rate Cisco Wireless a nine out of ten.

FD
Assistant Network Operations Security Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Advanced features needed, stable and good support

• "The most valuable features are mobility and security."
  • "The solution could improve by having more advanced features, such as AI that is able to do diagnosis on the network or detect incorrect configurations and is able to tell you what is the recommended practice. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have smart antennas that are able to track your movement, Wi-Fi 6 support, better transfer rates, low latency, stronger signals that can penetrate thick walls, and zero packet losses."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Wireless so that our users can have conductivity within the building.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco Wireless has improved our productivity.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are mobility and security.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more advanced features, such as AI that is able to do diagnosis on the network or detect incorrect configurations and is able to tell you what is the recommended practice. Additionally, it would be a benefit to have smart antennas that are able to track your movement, Wi-Fi 6 support, better transfer rates, low latency, stronger signals that can penetrate thick walls, and zero packet losses.

We want a solution that can do flex connect allowing the solution to resolve the clients without depending on the controller. The controllers should only do the policy automation, or the configuration change. We don't want the controller to be in line with the data phase.

I have used Cisco Wireless within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution has been fine for over a decade. The newer solutions will have better technology and will give us more.

The solution is scalable. We have not had any congestion issues.

We have over 5,000 users using this solution. Will would increase the usage of this solution if more users need access.

The technical support from Cisco is very good.

The installation is not difficult and took approximately two weeks.

Cisco Wireless has saved us some costs because you don't need to provision network points for every new staff. All we do is give the staff an IT work tool, such as a wireless laptop or a wireless computer, and they can be part of the network as soon as possible.

We have to pay for the hardware and support is extra and we do pay for the support.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is they should have very good support. You don't have to be a leader in the market. They don't have to be challengers. You don't have to be a visionary. If you have very good support clients will be happy with the product.

I rate Cisco Wireless a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
Technology Architect at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and robust, but needs simpler licensing and management

• "It is a reliable and robust solution. Access and Mobility Groups are useful. We don't use anything very fancy."
  • "Its licensing has been very frustrating. There is also the complexity of managing the product. These are probably the two reasons why we're looking at Aruba. The way they license this product is not simple. There are some good features in the latest version, but there are additional license costs as well, which is frustrating for us. It is not really a feature issue for us. It really comes down to cost and licensing. They should make it a bit simpler to manage. We find the overall solution a little bit more complex than we would like to deal with. Its troubleshooting is a bit difficult, and it does require a high skill set. Comparatively, Aruba seems quite simple. One of the benefits of the Aruba product is that it is cloud-managed. We don't have to manage the management platform itself, whereas Cisco is on-premise. Its user interface could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

We've got a very large install base with Cisco Wireless. We use it for a number of situations.
We use it in warehouses, retail branches, and offices.

What is most valuable?

It is a reliable and robust solution. Access and Mobility Groups are useful. We don't use anything very fancy.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing has been very frustrating. There is also the complexity of managing the product. These are probably the two reasons why we're looking at Aruba.

The way they license this product is not simple. There are some good features in the latest version, but there are additional license costs as well, which is frustrating for us. It is not really a feature issue for us. It really comes down to cost and licensing.

They should make it a bit simpler to manage. We find the overall solution a little bit more complex than we would like to deal with. Its troubleshooting is a bit difficult, and it does require a high skill set. Comparatively, Aruba seems quite simple. One of the benefits of the Aruba product is that it is cloud-managed. We don't have to manage the management platform itself, whereas Cisco is on-premise. Its user interface could also be better.

I have been using this solution for maybe 15 years.

It is stable and reliable.

It is scalable. There are no issues with scalability. We have approximately 5,000 users.

They are very good. I am satisfied with their technical support.

Over the last 15 years, we've done so many installations, and we've had them refreshed many times. We've also done installations in the last six months. It is in the middle in terms of complexity. It is neither straightforward nor too complex.

Its licensing is not simple. There are additional license costs for features, which is frustrating for us. There are some features that are included for free in the base Aruba product, but they are available at additional costs in this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Wireless a six out of ten.

DG
Sr.Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Enables high throughput for video but it can be tedious to manage compared to cloud-based solutions

• "Setting up Cisco Wireless is pretty straightforward. It takes about an hour or two, and we can handle it in-house. To deploy one project, it takes two to three for a single controller."
  • "And from an administration point of view, it is a very tedious job to check on each and every control. We have around 30 or 40 controls in our network."

What is our primary use case?

We have a variety of segments in retail and hospitality, and each has different requirements. We are using this desk with IC for wireless, and we have high throughput access points depending upon the need and the number of footfalls. So we have designed for high throughput or traffic for video. We have a lot of video sessions — Teams meetings — so it definitely helps.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Wireless should have a single administration point, so we don't need to log into different controllers. It should be a single pin where we can centrally manage all the controllers in something like Prime. We are using Arista, so I would recommend a service that offers that kind of cloud setup for wireless.

I've been using Cisco Wireless for more than 10 years.

I wouldn't say Cisco Wireless is scalable. I would definitely recommend a more cloud-based setup, like the UCS, which we have for a call manager. It should be on that the lines. So let's compare Cisco Wireless products to other networks that have a cloud-based solution where you can manage thousands of lacks of access points through a single interface. In Cisco Wireless control, we have to log in to each and every appliance, and the clients can support a maximum of 6,000 or 10,000 access points. So it isn't scalable. You have to install a different box. And from an administration point of view, it is a very tedious job to check on each and every control. We have around 30 or 40 controls in our network.

Cisco technical support is pretty good. It is pretty much the same as other products.

Setting up Cisco Wireless is pretty straightforward. It takes about an hour or two, and we can handle it in-house. To deploy one project, it takes two to three for a single controller.

We have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Wireless seven out of 10. I wouldn't recommend Cisco Wireless. I would advise others to look into a cloud-based setup like Arista. Cisco should improve on that part because it is tedious to manage different controllers

Diego Otheguy
Gerente División Plataforma at Sonda S.A.
MSP
Stable with good basic features and extremely scalable

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "In Latin America, Cisco is very expensive in comparison to other technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for wireless connectivity and expedience.

What is most valuable?

The basic features of the solution are excellent.

The product has very good internet and internal systems for general applications.

Technical support is pretty good.

We've found the product to be fairly stable.

The solution can scale.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

For the customer, it would be ideal if the solution had more global reach. It's a bit complicated to explain, however.

The documentation can be a bit confusing. It would be better if it was easier to follow.

We're hoping that the solution will work well with 5G.

In Latin America, Cisco is very expensive in comparison to other technologies.

I've been using the solution for maybe one year at this point.

The solution is very stable. There are issues with bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze at all.

The solution is extremely scalable. Cisco makes it very easy for a company to expand the offering if they need to. It's a good selling feature.

I would say 60% of the technical support team are very experienced in the solution. They are quite good to work with, for the most part. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we get from them. That said, I wish that the documentation provided by the company could be better.

The initial setup is not complex at all. Cisco makes the implementation very, very easy.

I'm not an IT technician and therefore don't know exactly how long a deployment takes. I don't install the solution personally by myself.

The cost of the solution is quite high in our region. It would be better if they could take cost into consideration in Latin America to make it more reasonable for local companies.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner with Cisco. We aren't just a customer.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. If it was more reasonably priced for the local market, I might create it a bit higher.

DR
DPKO at a government with 10,001+ employees
Good stability and very good documentation but very expensive

• "The solution offers very good stability."
  • "The new GUI interface and the newer version OS are a little bit more complex than the older version, however, it just might take some getting used to."

What is most valuable?

The ability to do mesh and bridge is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The multiple VLANs and their wireless LANs are great.

The solution offers very good stability.

What needs improvement?

There's room for improvement when it comes to setting up 802.1 authentications, their user authentication with the AAA. It's too difficult and not intuitive.

The solution is extremely expensive.

We've been using Cisco for a number of years. It's likely been seven or eight years since we started using it. It's been quite a while.

We don't have issues with stability. It's been quite reliable for us. We don't have issues with bugs or glitches and it doesn't seem to crash or freeze. We've had a good experience with it overall.

The solution is scalable, however, it becomes expensive. Organizations should keep that in mind if they are searching for a solution that can expand in the future.

The solution's online documentation is very good. There are always answers somewhere in the forums as well, so you can go there in order to find the answers to the questions you might have on how to troubleshoot or use the product.

We're actually doing a test with Aruba Wireless right now. We want to use both. THe POC has been going on for one month.

Cisco has changed their licensing mode and they've become very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

As a product itself, I would rate it around an eight or nine out of ten, however, due to the fact that it's so expensive, I'd knock off a few points. Therefore, on a scale from one to ten with all things considered, I'd rate it at a six. If money were not an object, I would highly recommend the solution.

AA
Head of IT Infrastructure at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable with an easy initial setup and pretty scalable

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The technical support could be better. They aren't as helpful as they need to be when we run into issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the internal network connection.

What is most valuable?

The management solutions the product has on offer are the most valuable aspects of the solution. It makes everything easy to manage from the perspective of an IT administrator.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution can scale well.

We've found the product to be very stable and quite reliable.

So far, we've found that the product offers everything we need it to.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any features that are really lacking.

I've been using the solution for the last ten years at this point. It's been about a decade. We've used it for quite a long time now.

The solution is quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches.

The solution is pretty scalable. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so fairly easily. It's not hard.

We have between 300 to 400 people on the solution currently.

We aren't fully satisfied with technical support at this time. They are getting better, however, they need to improve their services still.

The implementation process is not complex at all. it's very straightforward. We didn't face any issues.

The deployment process was also very quick. It didn't take long to have everything up and running.

Our procurement team handles the contracts for this solution. Therefore, I don't have any insights into pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

Currently, just doing the upgrade. I'm just doing the upgrade in order to have Wi-Fi 6 enabled, which is the new technology.

I would recommend the solution to others.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with it.

YS
Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Overall good features, highly stable, and scalable

• "Cisco Wireless is highly stable."
  • "The installation is very tiring and painful, the process could be easier."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Wireless can be used for a wireless solution anywhere you require.

Cisco wireless plus, Cisco routers, or Cisco switches,  when combining them together they work very well. Some of the controller features are available now in the Cisco switches and routers. Most companies have Cisco as their backbone infrastructure and if you have Cisco solutions already in place, you should continue with Cisco.

What is most valuable?

Overall good featured product.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for more than one year.

Cisco Wireless is highly stable.

The scalability of Cisco Wireless is good.

We have approximately 300 users using the solution.

The installation is very tiring and painful, the process could be easier.

We have completed the installation of eight access point routers in three days, and this was because of some issues with the infrastructure. We had a customer that had 10 access points and the controller was there. It was simple, it was only a one-day process to put it in, connect with the controller, and it is configured.

Other solutions, such as Oracle and Aruba, tend to be less complicated.

We have two people that are required at a minimum to do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

There are annual subscriptions to use this solution. I have not been able to understand the licensing of Cisco. Some of the Cisco executives were not able to understand them either. When you first start out the price is zero but when it comes to a time of renewal you have to pay.

I cannot say the solution should be cheaper because it has a good price point. It is not that they are very expensive, but compared to other solutions available in the market they are expensive. However, they are premium products that make the price suitable for what benefits you receive.

I have evaluated Oracle and Aruba solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco Wireless an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.