KS
Digital General Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good interface and integration with other tools but they should modernize the storage options

• "I find the integration with other tools very easy."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for schema lists. It's easy to populate the data and to get information for summaries and things like that. The second use case is that there is a mainframe and the upgrades on the mainframe can use your CPU time. As the customer is working on the mixed product, it becomes very costly. Using MongoDB internally allows us to divide as much as we can with it. And there is a service provision that I think is much cheaper than continuing the maintenance of the machine.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable, is that it is easy to use. Even a non-technical person will be able to understand it. I also find the integration with other tools very easy.

What needs improvement?

The price can always be better. I mean, we are a big corporation so it is quite expensive for us. So perhaps they can improve on the price.

I have been using MongoDB for two years now.

MongoDB is very stable.

The solution can be scaled without any issues.

I have not yet contacted the technical support team of MongoDB, but I have great interactions with the MongoDB side. We have our own technical team in our company that takes care of our issues.

We have used Snowflake before and I can tell you what the difference is between MongoDB and Snowflake. Snowflake is a totally different type of database. It is basically shot across small units and its solutions are only for the cloud. Your access can be private and it can be fast on the queries. Whereas with MongoDB, it takes much longer than with Snowflake if you want to extract. Snowflake is much faster. It has good analytics capabilities, though.

The initial setup was easy and quite fast. The only problem is the provisioning environment within the cloud. Deploying the MongoDB program doesn't take very long. The whole process of deployment needs only one additional person to do its maintenance and to finalize the deployment faster.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a seven out of ten because I like the interface and the integration with other tools. In the next version, perhaps they can modernize the storage options. I think they have a very good reputation, from what I hear from our client comments. The program has speed and it has simplicity. If you want to extract the application, the terms of applicability it is good. And you can use the intelligence within the program.

JG
    Senior Developer at ENEL
    An open source solution for storage and mapping that is stable and easy to setup

• "The most valuable feature is the geometric information done with GeoJSON."
    • "Simplifying the aggregation framework would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for storage and mapping. We have developed an application for mapping. We source the GeoJSON position for approximately eleven million points.

Our application is made for desktops, and we started using MongoDB for that application.

We have four teams in our laboratory and the other teams are developing their applications to be used with MongoDB.

The primary use of MongoDB is for mapping the application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the geometric information done with GeoJSON. We search the points, and we can perform searches for the data using the RPA for MongoDB. We can ask for points in the geometric shapes or points near other points.

What needs improvement?

Simplifying the aggregation framework would be an improvement.

Also, the replica system could be improved.

I have been using MongoDB for approximately four years.

We have anywhere from 15 to 20 people using this solution on a daily basis.

This is a stable solution and we are happy with it.

It is possible to scale this solution but it has a problem with the replication.

I have not contacted technical support. We have been able to resolve any issues we have had on our own.

Previously we used MariaDB and we continue to use MariaDB for other purposes. We started using MongoDB to manage non-relational data.

The initial setup was simple and straightforward.

It took a couple of hours.

I am the only one maintaining this solution.

I completed the initial setup and implementation.

I did not use the help of a vendor or integration. I did it on my own.

MongoDB is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are a small laboratory and always look for open source solutions or solutions where the licensing is every year. We are prepared to do the troubleshooting ourselves.

The most important part is to evaluate the rest of the ecosystem integrations. When we started, the driver that we used to develop the application was in C++ wasn't relevant. At the start of the project, we had some difficulties because there was no documentation available. There were no examples and no support from the community.

You have to take into account the languages that you are using. If you are going to develop in the main languages of the solution such as Python, or JavaScript, then you won't have to worry.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
    552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    BT
    Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Good clustering capabilities provide high availability, good performance, and includes replication functionality

• "The clustering is very good. It allows us to have high availability."
    • "The user interface is not as friendly as Oracle, which is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We do not use MongoDB extensively. Initially, we wanted to store login information, dumping the entire message into the database. It stores transaction details about the users, but only for login purposes. Essentially, we store information about access and usage.

In the future, we will build some reports for this data.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is the best choice for us when we want to store NoSQL-type data.

The clustering is very good. It allows us to have high availability.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with MongoDB for a couple of years.

So far, MongoDB has been quite stable.

MongoDB is definitely scalable. By setting up a cluster, we are able to scale well.

At this point, we are only using it for login purposes and only with two or three applications.

We have not used technical support very much because we don't have any issues with it. It has been quite stable and also, we are only using it for a limited purpose at this point.

We also use Oracle and we have found that if you want to have a DR site, you need to replicate the data from one site to the other. With MongoDB, we set up a cluster on the wide-area network, and we don't have to do any data replication. Instead, it will help you with these things.

With Oracle, the user interface makes it easy to explore the database. With MongoDB, the interface is quite primitive and it is more difficult to look at the data. It is not as user-friendly.

There are a lot of vendor and third-party tools that work on top of Oracle, but this is not so much the case with MongoDB.

I was not personally involved in the installation.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other similar solutions before implementing MongoDB.

Prior to MongoDB, we focused on relational databases.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it for anybody who wants to store NoSQL data. It provides a lot of features and the clustering, in particular, is a good one.

SP
    IT Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Useful for storing historical data, fast response, and easy to use

• "It stores historical data with ease. For example, if you are a healthcare member, then you will have multiple records of visits to the doctors. To store such data in Oracle Database, you have to create many records. You might also have duplication problems because your records are going in again and again, because of which the data warehouse and the maintenance cost will be huge. MongoDB is comparatively lightweight. It is a JSON extract. Once you define a schema and extract it, you can push all the relationships in any way you want. It is easier to define and get different types of transactions into MongoDB. It is also easier to set it up as compared to other solutions. MongoDB is a NoSQL database, which means it is a document DB in which you can store documents that you created in BSON. It is pretty fast in response. It is faster than relational databases because it does not define any primary keys, secondary keys, tertiary keys, and all those kinds of things."
    • "A normal Oracle or database tester will take some time to gear up to MongoDB because the way of writing queries is different in MongoDB. There should be some kind of midway where a person who is coming from an Oracle background can write a query and get a response by using something like a select * statement or other such things. There should be some way for MongoDB to interpret these commands rather than making a person learn MongoDB commands and writing them. I struggled while writing these MongoDB commands. I had not seen such queries before. It was pretty difficult to get them. This is one of the areas where it would help from the improvement standpoint."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

A normal Oracle or database tester will take some time to gear up to MongoDB because the way of writing queries is different in MongoDB. There should be some kind of midway where a person who is coming from an Oracle background can write a query and get a response by using something like a select * statement or other such things. There should be some way for MongoDB to interpret these commands rather than making a person learn MongoDB commands and writing them. I struggled while writing these MongoDB commands. I had not seen such queries before. It was pretty difficult to get them. This is one of the areas where it would help from the improvement standpoint.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

I haven't called them ever. I haven't seen any issues, so I would say it's pretty good.

I don't know, but I have heard from people who procure it that it is much cheaper than Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool. You should give it a try. It has a very good and different perspective of looking at how data can be stored in a database and restored from a database because it is not like a straight query or record. The data is just in files. It does whatever a database should do.

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

Yevhen Ikonnykov
    Senior Software Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Free community edition, good documentation, easy to install and deploy

• "In our case, it is most important to have redundancy."
    • "It would be much more useful if I have an admin user and a password."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our virtual environment.

Our software produces a lot of predefined JSON Structures. We save those JSONs in an encrypted form inside MongoDB.

It's simple storage of JSON. We do not perform any database functions.

What is most valuable?

In our case, it is most important to have redundancy. It supports a replica set and it allows us to use mutual TLS for authentications with the certificates.

The documentation is useful.

What needs improvement?

We work with the community edition and it would be really nice to have for the database side encryption, but it's not available in the community. It is only available in the enterprise edition.

We use mutual TLS, which means we use the certificate for authentication and connection encryption.

When I want to connect to a node, I need to supply the certificate that MongoDB trusts, even though I use an admin password. This is not useful, and it complicates things.

It would be much more useful if I have an admin user and a password.

I would like it to be more straightforward when connecting to a node.

We have been using MongoDB for the last 12 months.

We are using version 4.4.0.

It's pretty stable. We don't have any complaints.

It's a scalable solution. We haven't had any issues.

We are in development mode, and not really used by users. We have five people for development.

We can't know for sure if we will continue to use this solution. We are still in the development phase so we have to see when we finish.

I have not contacted technical support. I used the official documentation, which was enough for me.

The initial setup was straightforward. We used Docker, so it was pretty easy.

It didn't take long to deploy.

It's free. It's a community edition, so we do not pay anything.

There are no additional costs.

We didn't really evaluate other solutions. We did not have strict requirements in choosing a database. We just needed to keep JSON files informed when we produce them and MongoDB seems to be fine for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

Jorge Olmedo
    Software Developer at Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba
    User
    Stable with a good aggregation framework and easy to scale

• "The aggregation framework is really good, allowing a developer to build very complex queries."
    • "From my point of view, they need a totally free IDE to work at high levels."

What is our primary use case?

Our main purpose is to build a historical data lake containing commercial data of service usage, products, retailers and wholesalers, AAA sessions, account recharges and transferences, et cetera. We're looking at the whole company's key internet usage data from a commercial perspective.

The data lake holds data from 5 years, so now we're triggering ML processes. The impact of the product in the community has been huge, and by that I mean, the community of developers that make apps for the telecommunications market.

In our country, we were pioneers at using MongoDB. Now, at least 7 developer teams are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

It fits well. Data we want to keep represents facts. We've ETL'd from operational systems, so there was no need for relational engines. MongoDB allows us, through replication and sharing, to build a robust platform for keeping data. Even when volume starts to be an issue it is really easy to escalate horizontally and connectors do the rest.

I thought that choosing javascript as the internal query language might be a mistake, but that was a very good choice.

The fact is all of our users are happy with the stability and quick response times our solutions have. All of them are based on MongoDB as a persistence engine.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is very stable, and, by that I mean, amazingly stable. Using javascript was the key to have a wide range of functionalities based on its syntax and grammar. The aggregation framework is really good, allowing a developer to build very complex queries. The fact a developer builds some functions and can run through the whole cluster, actually and efficiently using all the resources available, is a great advantage. It's given the developers a very robust path to building whatever procedures they need. MongoDB is very, very stable.

What needs improvement?

The product roadmap shows us that the MongoDB team is very professional. Since we started using the product, it's like having wizards that are one step ahead of our needs. They are looking at the community, the market, and the competition.

From my point of view, they need a totally free IDE to work at high levels. The best I know is Studio3T, but licensing and an embargo in our country make it difficult to access. MongoDB needs something like Studio3T (Compass is just fine, but it isn't Studio3T) to really get the whole developer community.

I've used the solution for more than six years.

VC
    CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    A great solution for managing logs

• "MongoDB is relatively fast compared to relational databases."
    • "I suppose it could be a little more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to store log files. We have a Cloud telephone product and we use MongoDB to store our calling records. A number of users have access to it.

We plan to continue using this solution.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is relatively fast compared to relational databases. The files are stored in XML format, which is a stable format.

MongoDB is also great for managing logs.

Databases provide the data and any software can access those databases as per the access protocol — the database itself provides the data.

You can have the same database in multiple geographic locations. You can update it from different locations and the other locations also get updated. In that way, it is a good product. Very good.

What needs improvement?

You can update the server from another platform (Mongoose) which sits on top of MongoDB and makes it a relational database. The beautiful thing about MongoDB is that it's not a relational database — multiple statements are there so it's easy to access. It serves the purpose for which we are using it.

I suppose it could be a little more secure.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

This solution is both scalable and stable.

We are actually using the community version so we manage it ourselves. We have engaged a consultant so if we have any problems, we just sort it out with him.

We were also using MariaDB, but MongoDB is good for certain situations in which MariaDB is not suited for. For example, managing the database of log files is easier with MongoDB.

You don't need many people to install MongoDB or to fine-tune it. You need a database expert if you have any problems, but it is fairly simple.

I didn't install it. I believe my team had to spend some time learning how to handle MongoDB, so they gained some expertise and they started using it. Overall, installation doesn't take longer than one hour.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

KS
    Product Engineer 2 at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good JSON support, transaction support, and community support

• "It is convenient to use because we can do manipulations with the JSON data that we get. There are also a lot of joins and associations with MongoDB, which makes it easy to use for us."
    • "The auto transaction feature is something that I found a little bit problematic. If we want to run two or three transactions at a time, we get write conflicts. So, it becomes really difficult when concurrency comes into the picture."

What is our primary use case?

We are a logistics company, and we have a lot of data coming from the users. We have a model, but we need to be flexible with that model. That is one of the reasons why we are using MongoDB.

What is most valuable?

It is convenient to use because we can do manipulations with the JSON data that we get. There are also a lot of joins and associations with MongoDB, which makes it easy to use for us.

There is also a lot of transaction-related support from MongoDB.

What needs improvement?

The auto transaction feature is something that I found a little bit problematic. If we want to run two or three transactions at a time, we get write conflicts. So, it becomes really difficult when concurrency comes into the picture.

Sometimes, there are some problems in creating a connection with two or three tables, such as running two queries at a time or getting a reference from one table to another table. People generally don't use it much to join two or three tables, but I would like them to simplify that process.

It can sometimes be a little bit difficult to understand for a newcomer.

I have been using this solution for one to one and a half years.

There are a lot of articles and a lot of discussions online. So, we pretty much get all the answers that we want. If we have any problems in using it, it gets resolved as soon as possible. There are a lot of communities, and we are able to get the answers.

I was not a part of the installation process. It was already installed when I joined the company or started working with it. So, I don't have much idea about it, but when we install it locally, there is not a lot to do with it. The control that we get from the command prompt of MongoDB makes it easy to use and very convenient.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB to others. It is good in terms of support.

I would rate MongoDB an eight out of 10.